By Roberta H. Anding, M.S., Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Childrens HospitalEdited by Kate Findley, The Great Courses DailyPhoto by Rawpixel.com / ShutterstockHealth Fraud and Weight Loss
The sources that we use to educate ourselves on nutrition are rife with misinformation, especially on the internet. By looking out for the red flags, though, you can avoid becoming a victim of health fraud.
One area where misinformation is particularly prevalent is the weight loss industry. Even when a product or practice does lead to weight loss, you must ask yourself whether its sustainable and benefits your long-term health.
Ive had patients coming in who want to cleanse their colon, Professor Anding said. Now, if you think about colon cleansing, you would think that makes sense. But Mother Nature has done a wonderful job in terms of giving us a recipe for colon cleansing, and its called fiber.
There is no 20 pounds of waste product that accumulates on the inside of your intestinal wall. There is no reason to purify and detoxify yourself. But literally, over and over again, I see people coming in with colon cleansing.
Most of these programs are forcing diarrhea as a way of helping people lose weight. If you have diarrhea, its mostly water weight. So the number on the scale may go down, but youre not losing body fat.
When it comes to evaluating nutrition information, how do you separate fact from fiction? One phrase to watch out for is all natural.
Whats our alternative? All synthetic? All fake? We dont like those words, so all natural gives us this illusion of waving grains of wheat, and we translate that to safe.
However, some things from nature arent safe at all, such as heroin, cocaine, and tobacco. Imagine if cigarette manufacturers put waving fields of tobacco on their product to try and sell this as an all-natural product. All natural is not synonymous with safe.
I had a patient who came into my clinic, and she had been reading on the internet that prozac antidepressant medication has a black box warning, which suggests theres some side effects associated with it, so she didnt want to use that evil pharmaceutical, Professor Anding said.
What she wanted to use was a homeopathic version of an antidepressant. We actually looked up the herb she was taking, and the herb contained strychnine.So she was, every single day, supplementing herself with a poison.
Understandably, the woman was trying to protect her health, and she was concerned, as many people are, about the side effects of medications such as prozac.
[For] individuals who are trying to find alternative information, as a registered dietician, I always look at that as a gift, Professor Anding said. Now I have people who are interested in making a change, but they need some guidance along that path to optimal wellness.
By learning how to separate fact from fiction, you can avoid consumer health fraud.
Information from the Food and Drug Administration highlights the red flags of health fraud. When you hear any of these claims being made, you need to have your antenna up and say, Is this helpful information or hype?
1. Is it a quick and effective cure-all? For example, if an advertisement for a new health product states that you dont have to diet or exercise, you can assume that its probably not reasonable.
2. Can it treat a serious or incurable disease? A product you can buy from a consumer magazine or the internet that claims to treat a major disease is separating you from treatment that may be lifesaving, or at least life-sustaining.
3. Is the ad claiming to have some miraculous breakthrough, secret formula, or the hidden ingredient that your doctor doesnt want you to know about? Think about this one for a second. What theyre trying to do is separate you from reliable sources of information.
4. Does the ad feature fancy-sounding medical terminology such as thermogetic setpoint or lipoactive? It all sounds impressive, but when you further research this medical terminology, it doesnt existanother red flag.
5. Beware of personal testimonies, even if they are from physicians claiming amazing results. The celebrities or experts promoting these products may not even take the products themselves; they are incentivized by generous endorsement deals.
Certainly youve seen before-and-after pictures where someone will claim they got amazing results from a product. Well, were all smart enough to know that with Adobe Photoshop and other technologies that we can use to alter photos, just because we see it in print doesnt necessarily mean it reflects reality.
6. Some companies use urgency: Limited availability. Act now. These products are in short supply.
Track these commercials. If this limited availability ad comes back over and over again for the same product, obviously they must be making more products.
In short, addressing any major condition, whether its cancer, cardiovascular disease, or obesity, requires some effort. If you want to lose 100 pounds, you are going to be hungry, you must exercise, and you must make behavioral choices every single day. Exercise and diet actually work, so thats why they dont end up on this list of health fraud examples.
Professor Roberta H. Anding is a registered dietitian and Director of Sports Nutrition and a clinical dietitian at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Childrens Hospital. She also teaches and lectures in the Baylor College of Medicines Department of Pediatrics, Section of Adolescent Medicine and Sports Medicine, and in the Department of Kinesiology at Rice University. In addition, she is a registered dietitian with the American Dietetic Association and a dietitian for the Houston Texans NFL franchise.
Read more from the original source:
Don't Get Duped by Health Fraud! Avoid These Red Flags - The Great Courses Daily News
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020