Adele at the Grammys in 2017. (Photo: Francis Specker/CBS via Getty Images)
Heres the skinny on giving unsolicited weight-loss comments: Dont.
We all saw that picture of Adele two weeks ago, ending a lengthy social media break to thank frontline workers for their efforts in the fight against COVID-19. But her message of gratitude was quickly overshadowed because Adele looksdifferent. And by different, I mean thinner.
The internet lit up with comments about Adeles appearance, but also about the response to it. For every doesnt she look great? there was a shes always been beautiful! There were angry admonitions about equating skinny with pretty, and hot debates on when, and if, weight and health are connected.
My personal opinion is that Adele has always been stunning, particularly during those times that her voice has gripped my heart, and not let go until her very last note. More importantly, I think that were not doing ourselves any favours when we provide unsolicited feedback on someone elses weight. I would go so far as to say this behaviour can be harmful, and I know this from personal experience.
A few years ago, I switched up my lifestyle to involve more exercise and smaller food portions. I never had weight loss in mindmy goal was to get fitter and healthier, wherever that took me. And over time, my asthma symptoms improved and my joints stopped hurting. As my resting heart rate dropped, my anxiety symptoms lessened.
I also lost about 50 pounds, and people noticed. I would walk into a room and be complimented on how good I looked. I would post a photo on Instagram and my screen would light up with notifications. My circle remarked on everything from how small my arms were getting to how much thinner my face was.
At first, I loved the attention. It was validating. The work I was putting into my health could be sensed by others in some tangible way and it felt positive and motivating. But people were responding to my weight, not my health, and I began to post before-and-after photos. Me holding my baby years ago, versus me at the gym today. Me holding up a pair of too-big pants, next to a photo of me wearing those pants months before. I was the weight loss commercial, the success story.
Eventually, though, I needed to increase the dose of my anxiety medication and I noticed my clothes getting tighter within weeks. I immediately began to experience a feeling of utter failure. In our society, were taught that weight loss equals good and weight gain equals bad and I had changed sides. Larger people grew up with the same messaging as our skinnier counterparts and we internalized that discrimination. Therefore, we can quickly turn on ourselves, just as I did.
Fatphobia is an undeniable and deeply ingrained part of our culture. Fat people are seen as ugly, unlovable, dumb, goofy, clumsy, greedy and unhealthy sidekicks to the thin people in their lives. Up until very recently, we were never sexy, never the hero, never the centre of attention in movies, TV and other media. Even now, its the rare exception that a bigger person gets a lead role in a production or becomes a famous recording artist. Comedians will sometimes get a pass, too, but only because their humour falls in line with our expectation of fat people. Its good that were making headway, but acceptance of larger bodies is precarious at best. Fatphobia is everywhere, always, and those of us with larger bodies feel it; not only from the outside, but often from within, too.
Theres a reason why the global weight management industry was worth US$1.89 billion in 2018: Its not terribly effective. Scientists estimate that between 90 and 95 percent of people who lose weight will have regained it in five years time. The body is far better at temporarily shedding fat than keeping it off, making many of us lifelong diet industry users. That is fatphobia in a nutshell.
Even at my lightest weight, I wasnt exactly thin, and I likely never will be. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), a hormonal issue that can, among other things, have a profound effect on metabolism, making it harder to lose pounds and keep them off. This, coupled with genetics, is probably why I still weigh over 200 pounds, no matter what I do.
When it comes to body mass, we all have a set point, and without constant effort, most of us will wind up in a fairly small weight range. Age, illness, medications, stress, and other issues can affect our metabolisms too, leaving those who are genetically predisposed to being larger facing that truth again and again.
Reading this might make skinny people, or even those of average weight, defensive. This isnt true! I think all bodies are beautiful! might be your reaction. And maybe thats true on the surface. But ask yourself this: When was the last time you complimented someone on gaining weight? Im going to guess never. Its not something we do in polite society. Thats because pointing out increased body weight risks causing offense, because being fat is often considered offensive.
Complimenting weight loss, on the other hand, is almost always welcome. It was to me. Deep down, I didnt want to be fat. I had experienced the pain of judgment my entire life, and the idea of escaping it was far more appetizing than extra calories. But I was trying to play a game I had very little hope of winning.
Let me be crystal clear: There is nothing wrong with losing weight. People do it all the time for their own reasons, and if they want to celebrate it, good for them. Im still a handful of dress sizes smaller than I used to be, and Id be lying if I said I didnt appreciate that my knees no longer hurt when I climb the stairs and Im not winded at the top. Finding more clothing that fits and chairs that dont press painfully against my outer thighs reminds me how the world is designed for smaller bodies. Living within the ranges of what is deemed average has made my life easier. But statistically, I might not stay in this range forever. What then? How will I feel about being outside the margins again?
I wont presume to know how Adele feels about her weight loss, what she did to achieve it, what her plan is for maintaining it, or whether she was hoping for the reaction she received by posting her photo. For many reasons, including her wealth and privilege, she is in a better position than most to be in that five percent of successful weight-loss maintainers.
But if she isnt, it will be viewed by some as personal failure. The world will be unkind. Many of the once-affirming comments will turn negative and nasty. And if shes like most of us here on Planet Earth, that will hurt.
Which is why I wish wed all stop offering commentary on strangers bodies, especially women. Thats the way to create a world where we really do appreciate highly variant forms of beauty, in which someones weight loss, or gain, matters less than their talent, altruism, kindness, wisdom or compassion.
Read the original post:
Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine
- Fat loss lessons one man learned losing 140 pounds and keeping it off - Insider - INSIDER - May 30th, 2020
- Adele followed this diet to lose weight; heres how it works - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2020
- Meal replacement shakes: Can they help you lose weight, and who should use them? - CNET - May 30th, 2020
- The best way to lose weight for your body shape revealed from hour-glass to apple - The Sun - May 30th, 2020
- The truth about 'starvation mode' when you're trying to lose weight - Insider - INSIDER - May 30th, 2020
- Herbalife for Weight Loss: Should You Try It? - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 30th, 2020
- Sam Wood reveals 5 of the worst diet tips for weight loss in 2020 - 7NEWS.com.au - May 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eating more of this one food can help you lose belly fat - Express - May 30th, 2020
- From a living room in Queens to a global empire: how Weight Watchers took over the world - Telegraph.co.uk - May 30th, 2020
- Sip this cool detox water through the day to stay slim - Times of India - May 30th, 2020
- I've Lost 15 Pounds on the Noom Diet App, and Here's What I Eat in a Day - MSN Money - May 30th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet: Expert reveals how to lose weight without cutting out favourite foods - Express - May 30th, 2020
- The 5 diet mistakes youre probably making and top tips for weight loss - The Sun - May 30th, 2020
- Rockets Rumors: Eric Gordon Has Lost 12 Pounds in Hope of Preventing Injuries - Bleacher Report - May 30th, 2020
- 'Devastating': Hard-to-spot cancer means fit Newport man may have months to live - South Wales Argus - May 30th, 2020
- Malnutrition: Scotland's hidden food issue and how to spot the signs - The Courier - May 30th, 2020
- Chirk man wins Slimming World's Man of the Year after losing six stone - Border Counties Advertizer - May 30th, 2020
- Want to lose weight, get healthy and help the planet? The Zombie Apocalypse Diet could be for you - ABC News - May 27th, 2020
- Why Youre Not Losing Weight On Intermittent Fasting - Medical Daily - May 27th, 2020
- 'Fat burning zone'? The best way to exercise to burn fat - The Conversation UK - May 27th, 2020
- Why You're Losing Weight but Not Belly Fat - and What to Do About It - Yahoo News UK - May 27th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? 6 drinks to help you shed the extra kilos - PINKVILLA - May 27th, 2020
- Daphne Oz Reveals 50-Pound Weight Loss 9 Months After Giving Birth - E! NEWS - May 27th, 2020
- Working out and not losing weight? 7 reasons why that weighing scale wont budge - PINKVILLA - May 27th, 2020
- Inside the village where a secret millionaire is paying locals to lose weight - Telegraph.co.uk - May 27th, 2020
- Lose weight before breakfast: want to know the best time of day to workout for maximum weight loss? - T3 - May 27th, 2020
- The medical Adele reveals the secret to her weight loss: it is not just exercise - Play Crazy Game - May 27th, 2020
- Simon Cowell to release vegan cookbook after losing 60lbs on a vegan diet - Vegan Food and Living - May 27th, 2020
- Raw Food Diet: Everything You Want to Know - Greatist - May 27th, 2020
- Life comes around once, live it fully and positively - Ahmedabad Mirror - May 27th, 2020
- Stoke-on-Trent sales manager with a sweet tooth loses four stone - and now his life is transformed - Stoke-on-Trent Live - May 27th, 2020
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020