Losing weight without dieting sounds like some Harry Potter nonsense. But physician Michael Greger, author of the best-selling health book How Not To Die and founder of the myth-busting Web site NutritionFacts.org, says its absolutely doable with science, not magic.
I hate diet books, writes the doctor in his new weight-loss book, How Not To Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss (Flatiron Books, Dec. 10).
Also on his hate list: pseudoscientific twaddle, before-and-after photos, filler, fantasy and, heaven forbid, fluff.
You dont need anecdotes when you have evidence, Greger says. And he has plenty. His nearly 600-page anti-diet book (a slim volume, its not) distills thousands of studies and sources into what Greger calls a novel weight loss strategy based on the best available evidence.
The biggest myth is that you have to eat less to lose weight, Greger tells The Post. Eat less, move more is the standard advice you hear, because supposedly a calorie is a calorie . . . but 100 calories from Chiclets is different from 100 calories of chicken or 100 calories of chickpeas. Its about what your body absorbs.
For Gregers tips to work, you have to eat reasonably well to start, and that means lots of whole foods and plants, including beans, greens, nuts, whole grains and berries. (Here are 10 lifesaving foods the vegan doctor thinks you should eat every day.)
But once you have a healthy baseline, there are little tricks you can use to boost your weight loss.
Try these five science-backed tweaks at every meal, Greger says, and the weight should start to drop off naturally without any cabbage-soup-keto-cleanse craziness.
Simply drinking a tall glass of water [could] wipe out nearly 100 extra calories.
Wet your palate
Maybe this will inspire you to fill up your Swell bottle: Water is a natural metabolism booster, and it works so well that simply drinking a tall glass of water four times throughout the day [could] wipe out nearly 100 extra calories, writes Greger.
Even better if its cold water which has an additional metabolism-boosting potential as you sip, your body has to work to bring the liquid to body temperature.
When you drink matters, too, because water has a stomach-filling effect, writes Greger. To best take advantage of all these benefits, chug two glasses of cold water before every meal.
Choose smarter starters
Your first bites can make or break a meal, says Greger and the right ones can effectively subtract 100 calories out of our diet.
Research backs him up: In one study he cites, scientists served people 900-calorie plates of pasta some with a starter salad made with water-rich veggies (lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, etc.), some without. The salad-eaters ultimately ate 200 fewer calories of pasta.
In a similar study, people who ate a large apple before a pasta meal an apple-tizer, Greger quips ate 300 fewer calories.
But it only works if you dont junk up the app. Desecrating a salad with fatty dressing and tons of cheese is like preloading a pizza with garlic bread, writes Greger.
But if you start each meal with an apple, a clean salad or a cup of veggie-based soup (aim for 100 calories per cup and skip the creamy stuff), youre setting yourself up for success.
Be a vin-ner
Vinegar, and especially apple cider vinegar, has gotten some buzz as a weight-loss miracle. Greger wouldnt go that far, but he is impressed with how the sour stuff helps to stabilize blood-sugar levels.
Vinegar has been used medicinally since antiquity, he writes. In fact, before the advent of blood-sugar medications, vinegar was used as a folk remedy for diabetes.
For weight-loss purposes, thats important because yo-yoing blood sugar levels are what trigger you to abandon daylong healthy habits for a 3 p.m. doughnut binge.
But dont rip shots of vinegar, as recommended by many a fitness blogger. Instead, flavor meals or dress a side salad with any of the sweet and savory vinegars out there, Greger says. He suggests balsamic, sherry, white wine, champagne and, sure, apple cider, if you like. Have two tablespoons with every meal.Focus on food
This ones easy: Go screen-free for meals.
Dont eat while watching TV or playing with your phone, writes Greger. Why? Because distraction drives us to eat more, according to several studies he details in his book.
One found that men and women who ate while watching TV averaged an extra slice of pizza or 71% more mac n cheese than their screen-free counterparts. A similar study had people eat ice cream while listening to the radio; they ate up to 77% more of the sweet stuff than those who spooned in silence.
Yeah, everyones busy. But if you can carve out 20 minutes for every meal, you might carve out your waistline, too.
Studies have demonstrated that no matter how we boost the amount of time [that] food is in our mouths, it can result in lower caloric intake, writes Greger.
Spending 20 minutes on each meal, he explains, allows your natural satiety signals that mind-body feeling of fullness to take full effect.
It sounds tedious, but if youre following Gregers other tips (water, healthy apps), youre already well on your way. To draw out your actual meal, you can try taking smaller bites, chewing your food for longer or even filling your plate with food that naturally takes longer to eat. Have you ever tried to speed-eat a kale salad? Impossible.
- Effective Exercise Tips If You Want To Lose Weight Ahead Of Summer - Medical Daily - January 21st, 2020
- SMART Carpet and Flooring Issues New Year's Resolution Reminder: 'Remember Your Promise to Lose Weight and Stay Fit This Year? Get Started With Brand... - January 21st, 2020
- Losing a little weight can lower the risk of breast cancer - WTNH.com - January 21st, 2020
- Going for Short Walks Every Day Led to This Guy Losing 140 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 21st, 2020
- Is jogging really effective for weight loss? - The Standard - January 21st, 2020
- 'After Being Prescribed Diet Pills, I Found A Natural Way To Maintain My Weight With The 80-20 Diet' - msnNOW - January 21st, 2020
- 21 January 2020 6 steps to successful weight loss for women Obesity researcher Dr Nick Fuller - News - The University of Sydney - January 21st, 2020
- Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - ABC 4 - January 21st, 2020
- How to lose weight and live longer, by Britain's top diabetes expert - The Times - January 21st, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's trainer praises her dedication to losing weight, says she has been 'putting in the yards' daily - MEAWW - January 21st, 2020
- Losing weight in aid of Stepping Stone Hospice - Southern Courier - January 21st, 2020
- Small Diet Changes And A Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 23Kg - Men's Health - January 21st, 2020
- Your Health Family: Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - January 21st, 2020
- Quick Bodyweight Workouts to Do When You Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym - Men's Journal - January 21st, 2020
- The inspiring story of one man's 330lbs body transformation - JOE.co.uk - January 21st, 2020
- This is basically promoting eating disorders Shoppers slam The Range for selling a bikini body weight loss aid - goodtoknow - January 21st, 2020
- Keto diet isnt the answer for weight loss, experts say. Heres what is - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? Eat your meal alone - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Losing weight off this organ helps improve sleep apnoea - The Star Online - January 20th, 2020
- 'I Followed The 80-20 Diet Rule And Tracked My Macros With MyFitnessPalAnd I Lost 40 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 20th, 2020
- James Martin weight loss how did the chef lose weight? - The Sun - January 20th, 2020
- Effective Steps for CrossFit Athletes to Lose Weight Without Counting Calories - BOXROX - January 20th, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's body transformation was 'never about losing weight' - 9TheFIX - January 20th, 2020
- Fitness Revolution is helping me achieve my goals - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - January 20th, 2020
- The reason is not divorced: why Adele is rapidly losing weight - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News - January 20th, 2020
- The Military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight? - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 5 ways to feel better and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson flaunts amazing weight loss transformation after declaring 2020 her 'year of health' - Fox News - January 17th, 2020
- Weed and weight: Why are cannabis consumers slimmer? - Leafly - January 17th, 2020
- Weight loss with the 5:2 diet: requires willpower but can be powerfully effective - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Women say having clear skin, losing weight and clean hair is the secret to getting an instant confidence boost - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Drinking This Much Water Per Day Was the Key to Jessica Simpson's 100 lb Weight Loss - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat with 5 simple tips and reveal those abs - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Is it possible to lose weight without performing cardio? - Times of India - January 17th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge: The Lose Weight and Get Fit chef on trying to regain fitness and why carbs are back on the menu - inews - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose weight with just 5 healthy food swaps - Better Homes and Gardens - January 17th, 2020
- Malaysian teen shares painful experience of being body shamed despite losing weight, going to the gym - Malay Mail - January 17th, 2020
- Steve Harvey Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stopped Trying to Lose Weight and He'll Just Make More Money Instead - AmoMama - January 17th, 2020
- 'I Made A Decision To Get Fit, Lose Weight And Push On To Being An Outfield Player' - Balls.ie - January 17th, 2020
- 22 Ways to Lose Weight Without Breaking a Sweat - Greatist - January 15th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Woodlands business owner aims to teach proper dieting for weight loss - Houston Chronicle - January 15th, 2020
- What 10 Obesity Experts Wish You Knew About Weight Loss - Prevention.com - January 15th, 2020
- Truth About Kate Middleton Starving Herself, Losing Weight While Trying To Get Pregnant - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online - January 15th, 2020
- How To Lose Belly Fat: Avoid One Drink Regarded By Many As Healthy - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- Mum thought diet was making her lose weight - but it was breast cancer - Derbyshire Live - January 15th, 2020
- Is it your New Year's Resolution to lose weight, and lead a healthier lifestyle? - Leyton Orient FC - January 15th, 2020
- What is the DASH Diet? Guidelines for Losing Weight on the DASH Diet - Parade - January 15th, 2020
- Best breakfast for easy weight loss - eat this protein-fuelled food to lose weight fast - Express - January 15th, 2020
- How to lose weight in 6 months, according to this guy who lost 30 kgs by following this healthy plan - GQ India - January 15th, 2020
- Len Romes Local Health: Are you keeping to your resolution? - WYTV - January 15th, 2020
- 'I Counted Calories And Stuck To The 80-20 Rule To Lose WeightAnd I've Lost Over 150 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 4th, 2020
- Healthy Actions: Lets start the new year off on the right exercise foot - Akron Beacon Journal - January 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: What is the best way to slim down? Expert reveals top tips - Express - January 4th, 2020
- Blown your resolutions already? Tips for getting what you really want. - Seattle Times - January 4th, 2020
- Simon Cowell delighted with appearance following 20lbs weight loss - ABC FOX Montana - January 4th, 2020
- Tennis ace Jelena Dokic shows off incredible weight loss transformation after losing 53kg in 18 months - New Idea - January 4th, 2020
- How Keto and Walking Helped This Guy Lose Nearly 90 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Could this be the last diet you'll ever need to do? - The Times - January 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Matcha Tea to Lose Weight - LatestLY - January 4th, 2020
- Full cream milk vs toned milk: Which one is better? - Times of India - January 4th, 2020
- How to lose weight and get fit in 2020: 20 easy tips, diet hacks and workout routines to help you get started - GQ India - January 4th, 2020
- Four stone weight loss has changed the life of Tipperary woman Paula - TipperaryLive.ie - January 4th, 2020
- 'Inspirational' mum transforms her life after long battle to lose weight and quit smoking - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - January 4th, 2020
- The New Year's Resolution that usually fails within the first month - Jacaranda FM - January 4th, 2020
- Why dieting can lead to loneliness - From the Grapevine - January 4th, 2020
- The Smart Equestrian's List to Brightening the Winter Blues - TheHorse.com - January 4th, 2020
- Getting fit, losing weight now easier at the Family Y - The Augusta Chronicle - January 2nd, 2020
- Man who lost 200lbs gives tips on losing weight, keeping it off - WISN Milwaukee - January 2nd, 2020
- Tipperary group celebrate year of great weight loss with Chatty Man Alan Carr - TipperaryLive.ie - January 2nd, 2020
- Best cars for achieving your New Years resolutions - Boston Herald - January 2nd, 2020
- Tyler Whitman From 'Million Dollar Listing' Reveals the One Big Weight Loss Move to Make for 2020 - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 2nd, 2020
- 5 reasons why you should try running and the best running gear you'll need - T3 - January 2nd, 2020
- NY's resolution to lose weight; study finds fasting could add years to life - KFI AM 640 - January 2nd, 2020
- Mark Labbett weight loss: The Beast drops three stone by cutting out one thing from diet - Express - January 2nd, 2020
- If You're Trying to Lose Weight, Should You Try Whole30? Here's What Registered Dietitians Say - POPSUGAR - January 2nd, 2020
- 'I thought I'd be in a wheelchair forever' - how weight loss has transformed this Blackpool mum's life - Blackpool Gazette - January 2nd, 2020