Losing weight without dieting sounds like some Harry Potter nonsense. But physician Michael Greger, author of the best-selling health book How Not To Die and founder of the myth-busting Web site NutritionFacts.org, says its absolutely doable with science, not magic.
I hate diet books, writes the doctor in his new weight-loss book, How Not To Diet: The Groundbreaking Science of Healthy, Permanent Weight Loss (Flatiron Books, Dec. 10).
Also on his hate list: pseudoscientific twaddle, before-and-after photos, filler, fantasy and, heaven forbid, fluff.
You dont need anecdotes when you have evidence, Greger says. And he has plenty. His nearly 600-page anti-diet book (a slim volume, its not) distills thousands of studies and sources into what Greger calls a novel weight loss strategy based on the best available evidence.
The biggest myth is that you have to eat less to lose weight, Greger tells The Post. Eat less, move more is the standard advice you hear, because supposedly a calorie is a calorie . . . but 100 calories from Chiclets is different from 100 calories of chicken or 100 calories of chickpeas. Its about what your body absorbs.
For Gregers tips to work, you have to eat reasonably well to start, and that means lots of whole foods and plants, including beans, greens, nuts, whole grains and berries. (Here are 10 lifesaving foods the vegan doctor thinks you should eat every day.)
But once you have a healthy baseline, there are little tricks you can use to boost your weight loss.
Try these five science-backed tweaks at every meal, Greger says, and the weight should start to drop off naturally without any cabbage-soup-keto-cleanse craziness.
Simply drinking a tall glass of water [could] wipe out nearly 100 extra calories.
Wet your palate
Maybe this will inspire you to fill up your Swell bottle: Water is a natural metabolism booster, and it works so well that simply drinking a tall glass of water four times throughout the day [could] wipe out nearly 100 extra calories, writes Greger.
Even better if its cold water which has an additional metabolism-boosting potential as you sip, your body has to work to bring the liquid to body temperature.
When you drink matters, too, because water has a stomach-filling effect, writes Greger. To best take advantage of all these benefits, chug two glasses of cold water before every meal.
Choose smarter starters
Your first bites can make or break a meal, says Greger and the right ones can effectively subtract 100 calories out of our diet.
Research backs him up: In one study he cites, scientists served people 900-calorie plates of pasta some with a starter salad made with water-rich veggies (lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, etc.), some without. The salad-eaters ultimately ate 200 fewer calories of pasta.
In a similar study, people who ate a large apple before a pasta meal an apple-tizer, Greger quips ate 300 fewer calories.
But it only works if you dont junk up the app. Desecrating a salad with fatty dressing and tons of cheese is like preloading a pizza with garlic bread, writes Greger.
But if you start each meal with an apple, a clean salad or a cup of veggie-based soup (aim for 100 calories per cup and skip the creamy stuff), youre setting yourself up for success.
Be a vin-ner
Vinegar, and especially apple cider vinegar, has gotten some buzz as a weight-loss miracle. Greger wouldnt go that far, but he is impressed with how the sour stuff helps to stabilize blood-sugar levels.
Vinegar has been used medicinally since antiquity, he writes. In fact, before the advent of blood-sugar medications, vinegar was used as a folk remedy for diabetes.
For weight-loss purposes, thats important because yo-yoing blood sugar levels are what trigger you to abandon daylong healthy habits for a 3 p.m. doughnut binge.
But dont rip shots of vinegar, as recommended by many a fitness blogger. Instead, flavor meals or dress a side salad with any of the sweet and savory vinegars out there, Greger says. He suggests balsamic, sherry, white wine, champagne and, sure, apple cider, if you like. Have two tablespoons with every meal.Focus on food
This ones easy: Go screen-free for meals.
Dont eat while watching TV or playing with your phone, writes Greger. Why? Because distraction drives us to eat more, according to several studies he details in his book.
One found that men and women who ate while watching TV averaged an extra slice of pizza or 71% more mac n cheese than their screen-free counterparts. A similar study had people eat ice cream while listening to the radio; they ate up to 77% more of the sweet stuff than those who spooned in silence.
Yeah, everyones busy. But if you can carve out 20 minutes for every meal, you might carve out your waistline, too.
Studies have demonstrated that no matter how we boost the amount of time [that] food is in our mouths, it can result in lower caloric intake, writes Greger.
Spending 20 minutes on each meal, he explains, allows your natural satiety signals that mind-body feeling of fullness to take full effect.
It sounds tedious, but if youre following Gregers other tips (water, healthy apps), youre already well on your way. To draw out your actual meal, you can try taking smaller bites, chewing your food for longer or even filling your plate with food that naturally takes longer to eat. Have you ever tried to speed-eat a kale salad? Impossible.
- Avoid These Food Mistakes If Youre Trying to Lose Weight - Lifehacker Australia - July 30th, 2020
- Obesity: Doctor's tips to lose weight as Boris Johnson urges Brits to improve health - Mirror Online - July 30th, 2020
- How couple turned losing their income from Covid-19 to losing weight and setting up business - Nottinghamshire Live - July 30th, 2020
- Weight loss calculator works out exactly how much you need to lose to get healthy BMI - The Sun - July 30th, 2020
- The Reason Kevin Smith Decided To Lose Weight | TheThings - TheThings - July 30th, 2020
- Losing weight without dieting, according to science: 11 tricks that experts recommend - Checkersaga - July 30th, 2020
- Want to lose weight and keep it off for life? Focus on these 6 things - Yahoo! Voices - July 30th, 2020
- The Chase star Mark Labbett proudly shows off impressive weight loss - Heart - July 30th, 2020
- HEALTH: Seven weight-loss myths you need to stop believing - Leitrim Observer - July 30th, 2020
- Cynthia Wells Update on My 600-lb Life: Where is She Today? - Heavy.com - July 30th, 2020
- Andy Robertson recalls the impact losing a relative had on his career - Yahoo Sports - July 30th, 2020
- How to lose weight easily in line with the new government obesity strategy - Daily Star - July 30th, 2020
- Jaw-dropping Slimming World weight loss transformations of Plymouth women - Plymouth Live - July 30th, 2020
- Get outdoors and improve the health of all the family - Derry Now - July 30th, 2020
- What are the health benefits of losing weight? - Brinkwire - July 30th, 2020
- Border residents with diabetes, hypertension losing lives to COVID-19 - KGET 17 - July 30th, 2020
- Want to lose weight? Removing one thing from your diet will definitely help - T3 - July 26th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This girl lost 30 kilos in one year WITHOUT extreme dieting! Here's how she did it - Times of India - July 26th, 2020
- Fight Coronavirus With Miracle Pill Of Bicycling To Work, Boris Johnson To Tell Brits - Forbes - July 26th, 2020
- New Obesity Strategy unveiled as country urged to lose weight to beat coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the NHS - GOV.UK - July 26th, 2020
- How Man v Fat is helping men lose more weight than they ever have before - Telegraph.co.uk - July 26th, 2020
- Losing weight, finding the world - Livemint - July 26th, 2020
- 'It is a mistaken belief that having a smaller appetite and losing weight is a normal part of ageing' - The Westmorland Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- Over time, food has become language of love in life - Beauregard Daily News - July 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Major activity to skip at breakfast time if you want to lose weight - Express - July 26th, 2020
- 'Before I Could Lose 100 Pounds, I First Had To Work On My Mental Health And Sobriety' - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 26th, 2020
- Gianficaro: Readers weigh in with weight-loss journeys - Burlington County Times - July 25th, 2020
- Action Bronson Talks Losing Weight and Mac Miller With Zane Lowe - Complex - July 25th, 2020
- D.J. Fluker running sprints, eating salads and losing weight - NBC Sports - NFL - July 25th, 2020
- Colin Montgomerie, 57, shows off incredible body transformation as he loses 40lbs with diet and pilates - The Sun - July 25th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From not being able to tie my shoelaces to becoming a model, here is how I lost 20 ki - Times of India - July 25th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: One ingredient youre better off without to shed the belly fat - Express - July 25th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here Are 5 Drinks to Enjoy and 2 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: From losing weight to becoming a plant parent, they developed new good habits during the circuit breaker - The Straits Times - July 25th, 2020
- Named unexpected symptom of type 2 diabetes associated with weight loss - The Saxon - July 25th, 2020
- Live it. Feel it. Believe it. - TAPinto.net - July 25th, 2020
- Amy Schumer Has An Issue With Celebrities Talking About Losing Weight After Giving Birth - BuzzFeed - July 25th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: The do's and don'ts of riding high during COVID-19 - Agassiz-Harrison Observer - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Boris Johnson says 'we get things wrong' but worst will be over by 'middle of next year' - Sky News - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus Global Updates, July 25: Brazil President Bolsonaro says he tested negative - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Five years after Justin Wilson's death, IndyCar's aeroscreen protects drivers at Iowa - IndyStar - July 25th, 2020
- How quarantine, meal prepping helped this busy stylist shed nearly 50 pounds - Houston Chronicle - July 25th, 2020
- Mayo Clinic Q And A: What to drink to stay hydrated - Greater Milwaukee Today - July 25th, 2020
- This is where losing weight really begins - KGUN - July 7th, 2020
- The 15 Best Expert Tips to Succeed at Your Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Lose weight: Three health hacks to help you lose belly fat after lockdown - T3 - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World champion lifts the lid on losing weight in lockdown - Nottinghamshire Live - July 7th, 2020
- 'With Intermittent Fasting And The CICO Diet, I Lost Over 100 Pounds In 14 Months' - Women's Health - July 7th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever as she models new PJ collection after three stone weight loss - The Sun - July 7th, 2020
- Former NFL Linemen Reveal The Surprising Struggles Of Losing Weight After Spending Years Getting Paid To Be A Massive Human - BroBible - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: Add this spice to your diet daily to help burn belly fat fast - Express - July 7th, 2020
- 5ive's Abz Love looks incredible after losing weight and feels younger than ever - Mirror Online - July 7th, 2020
- Five months after final game, Joe Staley says he's lost tremendous amount of weight - KNBR - July 7th, 2020
- Removing food delivery apps helped with my weight loss: Simon K King - The Hindu - July 7th, 2020
- Dom Sibley Reveals The Time He Felt The Need To Lose His Weight - Cricket Addictor - July 7th, 2020
- Amazing Slimming World weight loss transformations in June - Plymouth Live - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World groups in Trowbridge take District of the Year title - This Is Wiltshire - July 7th, 2020
- Dublin woman shares how she lost 3st - and continued to lose weight during lockdown - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: One of the best exercises to help burn belly fat - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Strict exercise regime without correct diet is unhel..ace mayonnaise, eight other foods for fast weight loss - Firstpost - July 7th, 2020
- Survey reveals stress, anxiety, tiredness and boredom are the main causes of unhealthy eating habits in lockdown - Leamington Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Galway PT shares tips for fussy eaters who want to change diet and lose weight - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- Super slimmer mum loses seven stone in incredible transformation after simple boost of confidence - Birmingham Live - July 7th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: From an overweight kid to a fitness blogger, this guy's weight loss journey is incredible! - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Trying to shed extra kilos? Include these 6 snacks to achieve your goals - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- This Guy Shared What He Has Learned After Doing Intermittent Fasting for 7 Years - Men's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss: how the Remarkable Places to Eat chef shed 12st - The Scottish Sun - June 30th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight in a healthy way? Try these desi weight loss breakfast recipes - India TV News - June 30th, 2020
- Yo Gotti Reveals A Massive Weight Loss Of 40 Pounds - Celebrity Insider - June 30th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss: Here's how I lost 10 kilos in 3 months post my C-sec delivery - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Film Study: Why Skinny Jokic Should Thrive, Not Struggle In Nuggets Return - Forbes - June 30th, 2020
- Understanding The Link Between Hypertension And Obesity: Know How To Regulate Your Blood Pressure Numbers - NDTV Doctor - June 30th, 2020
- Should You Exercise On An Empty Stomach? Here's What The Experts Say - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Bad For You? Dangers Of The Low-Carb Diet - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rob Kardashian's Body Evolution Through the Years - MSN Money - June 30th, 2020
- Were all big guys: To hit their weight goals without provided meals, BSU football linemen had to adapt - The Star Press - June 30th, 2020
- Sixers' Zhaire Smith will miss Orlando restart with knee injury - PhillyVoice.com - June 30th, 2020
- First-person account: I got COVID in Boise. I'm fine, but here's what I went through - boisedev.com - June 30th, 2020
- Cork couple tell of simple tips that saw them lose five stone during lockdown - Irish Mirror - June 30th, 2020
- What Is The Mayr Method Diet Rebel Wilson Is Using To Lose Weight? - Women's Health - June 26th, 2020