I eat once a day, I fast 2 to 3 times a week and take several slimming-detox drinks and green teas. I have been on an exercise programme for a year now unfortunately, I have not lost any weight!
These are the words a lady told me during her visit to the private nutrition and body wellness healthcare facility where I work.
And many more people out there can relate. On a typical working day, we receive many of these laments. People have tried several things and would do whatever it took to put their health in order.
What is diet and nutrition?
Diet is the sum of food consumed by a person or other organism. The word diet often implies the use of specific intake of nutrition for health and dieting, it is the practice of eating food in a regulated way to maintain, decrease or increase some ones health status.
In other words, dieting has to be intentional to achieve well-coordinated, reliable and consistent results.
With time, one looks at different programmes and opts for a diet that turns into a lifestyle.
Dieting, done correctly, can be beneficial to health. Net photos
Nutrition is defined as the science that interprets the nutrients and other substances in food in relation to maintenance, growth, reproduction, health and disease of an organism. It includes ingestion, absorption, assimilation, biosynthesis, catabolism and excretion
Our bodies were created the same way, but function differently, so it is better to understand your body well before dieting.
Under the factors that influence food choices, we have; social factors including culture, family, peers and meal patterns. Also, in the same line, attitude, beliefs, and knowledge about food and many other factors influence peoples choices.
In Rwanda, like any other country in the world, you find diets characterised by one type of food group, for example, maize flour (posho), rice on a single plate at the same time, consuming single meals and in large quantities without considering quality and diversity.
I think time has come for people to align food with its importance, understanding particular dietary requirement at a certain period depending of growth, and not eating what you eat because its what is available. Our soils are endowed and good for organic farming.
How to diet
Dieting is about understanding your requirements; a few suggestions are:
Eat a variety of foods, even in very small amounts.
Proper nutrition is about diversity and moderation. As earlier mentioned, its an idea to evaluate your nutrition status first and then resort to a dedicated plan that is in line with your goals. A balanced meal as we all know includes protein acting as building materials to our body if it was a house, whole grain for fuel if we were cars, healthy fats act as those rubes that our vehicles use and for the body, they support growth, not forgetting colourful fruits, nuts and seeds.
Breastfeed exclusively up to six months. Healthy dieting covers different growth stages and for children, there is a great link between childhood nutrition and adult nutrition. Breast milk has enough nutrients to take a baby up to six months before introducing complementary feeding.
Eat breakfast every day. Even if you dont feel hungry for breakfast at first, getting yourself in the habit of eating breakfast means training your body to eventually wake up hungry. Eating breakfast actually jump-starts your metabolism for the day. If youre in a fasting mode, your metabolism decreases to conserve energy.
Eat less salt and sugars. In some instances, many end up cheating because of sugar, salt and oil that have to be watched. Modern food processing has reached a level of communicating with our neurotransmitters where certain foods have become addictive, so maintain healthy portions.
Balance the food you eat with physical activity. Now here you dont have to be an athlete; simple moderate physical wellness helps in regulating your caloric expenditure, and reduces chances of depositing extra energy in the walls of the stomach as fats.
Flexibility exercises and aerobics are recommended for this factor.
Limit carbs. You have had of the glycaemic index (GI), the fuel food presents to our bodies. Different food offers different glycaemic load and in case one consumes foods with low load, less fats are dumped, which increases chances of staying healthy.
How not to diet
Dieting has been abused with disciplines that are centered on desperation and habits that instead hurt our bodies. These include inaccurate material and recommendations from all over the internet, self-medication, starving the body, slimming and detox teas and juices, too much exercise, and many other harmful ways people try to achieve health goals.
Fasting, only deprives the body of important nutrients.
Sliming teas and the so-called detox diets with unsubstantiated claims, leave their hosts body with stomach pains an indication that the stomach lining may have been damaged.
Excessive exercise only wears out our muscles and eventually damages connective tissues and tendons.
Everyone can achieve a healthy status if they concentrate on nutrition basics and principles of intentional food selection, combining benefits, balanced diet and diversity.
People need to consider nutrition and health counselling before making any decisions.
The author is a nutrition and body wellness expert.
See more here:
Dieting: Weighing the good and bad - The New Times
- Weight loss expert's 'simplest and most effective' way to burn fat with high protein plan - Express - November 28th, 2020
- Shawn Mendes lost sleep to work out and thought he'd lose fans if not - Insider - INSIDER - November 28th, 2020
- Don't Just Sit There: A Little Exercise Makes Up for a Full Day of Sitting - Everyday Health - November 28th, 2020
- Tara Sharma pens note on why physical activity is needed now more than ever before - The Indian Express - November 28th, 2020
- Diabetes as a condition can not entirely be reversed, it only enters Remission Mode, says Expert at ASSOCHAM's 'Illness To Wellness' Series -... - November 28th, 2020
- Lifestyle tips to help keep your body and mind healthy during the pandemic - Yahoo! Voices - November 28th, 2020
- HEART OF WELLNESS Immune-strong movement and nutrition - Barnstable Patriot - November 28th, 2020
- What is brown fat? Know how it can protect you from diabetes, obesity - Times Now - November 28th, 2020
- The Recovery Room: News beyond the pandemic November 27 - Medical News Today - November 28th, 2020
- Prostate cancer: Survivors talk radiation, loose bowels and battling a disease more common than you think - CNA - November 28th, 2020
- The Effects of Doing Body-Weight Exercises Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 28th, 2020
- Watch What Happened When This Guy Ate and Trained Like Eddie Hall - menshealth.com - November 25th, 2020
- Diet to exercise: FSSAI suggests these post-festival tips to resume a healthy routine - The Indian Express - November 25th, 2020
- Diabetes: Facts you should know in the era of COVID-19 - Q City Metro - Qcity metro - November 25th, 2020
- What Is the Endomorph Diet? What Can You Eat on the Endomorph Diet? - GoodHousekeeping.com - November 25th, 2020
- Swollen Stomach and Weight Gain: Causes of Abdominal Bloating - Healthline - November 25th, 2020
- What are some of the best diets for men? - Medical News Today - November 25th, 2020
- Here are a few tips to keep yourself healthy amidst winters - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: One of the best diets to help with insulin resistance and obesity - Express - November 25th, 2020
- Market America | SHOP.COM Shares Five Ways To Help You Avoid Excess Sugar While Still Enjoying The Holidays - PR Web - November 25th, 2020
- Justin Herbert Who Lives on Subway Sandwiches - GQ Magazine - November 25th, 2020
- Henry Cavill full body workout: Get as strong as Superman and The Witcher - T3 - November 25th, 2020
- Do Chemicals Cause Breast Cancer? Its Unknown, but Two Researchers Say That the Government Should Do More to Protect Women - SurvivorNet - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Lose Belly Fat With This Quick Lower Abs Workout That Can Be Done In Just 20 Minutes - NDTV - November 25th, 2020
- Obesity and pets - Illinois Times - November 25th, 2020
- Weight loss: Two things that helped Nita Ambani lose 18 kilos - Times of India - November 25th, 2020
- Dieting downfalls and the promise of a non-diet approach - Daily Cardinal - November 25th, 2020
- Working out in a polluted city? Here are some exercises you must avoid doing as air pollution rises - Times Now - November 25th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: get in shape before it all goes wrong again during the holidays - T3 - November 25th, 2020
- Exercise nutrition: whether you should eat before or after a workout depends on your fitness goals - The Conversation UK - November 16th, 2020
- Strict diets can deprive us of our happiness and health - The Aggie - November 16th, 2020
- Polo G on His New Album 'The Goat,' Workout Routine, and Complicated Diet - menshealth.com - November 16th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Witcher workout: a full body workout in just 5 moves plus a diet based on lots of protein - T3 - November 16th, 2020
- Lockdown: Survey finds that many in SA gained weight, despite trying to lose a few kilos - Health24 - November 16th, 2020
- Fitness: Outdoor exercise is the new normal even for winter - Montreal Gazette - November 16th, 2020
- The importance of knowing your family health history - PhillyVoice.com - November 16th, 2020
- How Diabetes can affect your eyes and what you can do to avoid those complications - wmar2news.com - November 16th, 2020
- Mary Trump says terrible diet and lack of exercise will prevent Donald Trump from running in 2024 - Queerty - November 16th, 2020
- Dr Norman Lazarus has a simple and direct message when it comes to living longer, healthier lives - The Canberra Times - November 16th, 2020
- Over-the-counter diet pills: Do they really help you lose weight or harm your health? - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- The hard truth about losing weight why speeding up your metabolism for weight loss is a myth - Business Insider Australia - November 16th, 2020
- World Diabetes Day: Steps to improve metabolism for the prevention of diabetes - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- Here's how to maintain blood sugar levels, starting from your gut - TheHealthSite - November 16th, 2020
- Breaking up with diet culture: A dietitian on how to ditch the toxicity - Women's Agenda - November 16th, 2020
- Confined indoors? Heres how to boost your immunity |India Today Insight - India Today - November 16th, 2020
- Home and Away's Ethan Browne: 'My health and workout secrets' - New Idea - November 16th, 2020
- Questions and Answers About Your Immune System and Winter - Healthline - November 16th, 2020
- Causes of Heartburn During Exercise and What to Do About It - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 16th, 2020
- How to Lose Inner Thigh Fat: Causes and Toning Exercises - Greatist - November 3rd, 2020
- Learning to Actively Pursue the Light at the End of the Tunnel - Charcot-Marie-Tooth News - November 3rd, 2020
- Healthy diet, exercises are pivotal in preventing cardiovascular diseases WHO - - The Eagle Online - November 3rd, 2020
- A deep dive into diabetes in Arkansas | Wear the Gown - THV11.com KTHV - November 3rd, 2020
- 'My Diet Was All Over The Place Until I Started Counting Macros With The Strong Daily App' - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 3rd, 2020
- Polarity Balancing: Benefits, Exercises, How to Find a Practitioner - Healthline - November 3rd, 2020
- Kareena's advice to women who conceived during the pandemic - Daijiworld.com - November 3rd, 2020
- This Guy Ate And Trained Like Conor McGregor And The Cardio Session Alone Looks Like Absolute Murder - BroBible - November 3rd, 2020
- 5 things to know about Vitamin D - StarNewsOnline.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Treatment and Beyond - SurvivorNet - November 3rd, 2020
- What Is Preventive Cardiology? What Doctors Want You To Know About the Emerging Field in Heart Health - Well+Good - November 3rd, 2020
- Weight loss: This guy changed his diet every 10 days and lost 50 kilos! Here's what he ate - Times of India - November 3rd, 2020
- How to exercise to lose weight and build muscle at the same time - Daily Express - November 3rd, 2020
- Kate Middleton's green juice with blueberries and matcha is key to flat stomach diet - Express - November 3rd, 2020
- Henry Cavill Workout: How to Do It, Cautions, and More - Healthline - November 3rd, 2020
- 6 scientifically-proven techniques students can use to relieve stress this school year - Insider - INSIDER - November 3rd, 2020
- Video of Husband Exposing Cheating Wife is Going Viral: Trending Topics, Viral Videos & Funny Memes of The - LatestLY - November 3rd, 2020
- Do you have a sitting job? Here are 7 quick desk exercises to prevent neck and back pain - Times Now - November 3rd, 2020
- Metabolic Renewal Review: Pros, Cons, and Effectiveness - Healthline - October 28th, 2020
- I got a whole new mindset: the health secrets of people who got much fitter in lockdown - The Guardian - October 28th, 2020
- Simple Tips And Tricks To Make Your Diet Healthier: You Must Try These! - NDTV - October 28th, 2020
- How do you calculate your calorie intake? Know some tips, recipes on how to lose weight with exercise and diet - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Here's What We Know About the Diet Fuelling Rebel Wilsons Fitness & Weight Loss Journey - POPSUGAR Health and Fitness Australia - October 28th, 2020
- If Your Heart Health Is at Risk, Your Partner Should Get Checked Too. Here's Why - ScienceAlert - October 28th, 2020
- Eat to beat diabetes: Delicious ways to reverse and transform your health explains Gurmeet Arora - PINKVILLA - October 28th, 2020
- Noom diet: The virtual weight loss program taking the world by storm explained - 9Coach - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (US) - October 28th, 2020
- Link between early menopause and osteoporosis - The New Indian Express - October 28th, 2020
- Adele and Pippa Middleton Both Swear By the 'Sirtfood Diet' -- Here's Why Its Founder Says It Works - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - October 28th, 2020
- Can a Plant-Based Diet Reduce the Risk of Breast Cancer? - LIVEKINDLY - October 28th, 2020
- OPINION | Chronic diseases, immunity and nutrition. Nutrition is important now more than ever! - Health24 - October 28th, 2020
- Eat well, be well - NZ Register of Exercise Professionals - Voxy - October 28th, 2020