The latest headlines in your inbox twice a day Monday - Friday plus breaking news updates
Britains high Covid-19 death rate is not the Governments fault but partly because the majority of people are obese, according to a Conservative peer.
Lord McColl of Dulwich told peers it is despicable to blame those in power in Westminster.
He claimed the reason for the mortality rate was because of obesity levels, population density and the countrys status as a travel hub.
Lord McColl also urged Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer to join Boris Johnsons drive to reduce obesity in order to reduce the mortality in future pandemics.
The UK death toll is more than 41,700, with separate figures published by the statistics agencies showing 57,500 cases where Covid-19 was mentioned on a death certificate.
Lord McColl told a debate on coronavirus regulations: As a doctor, I am very, very concerned about preventative medicine.
The peer made his comments over an online feed (Parliament TV)
What was clear about the pandemic early on was that the majority of those afflicted had many medical conditions that made them much more vulnerable to Covid.
Obesity and Covid is a very dangerous combination and the reason for this is obesity impairs the immune system.
Peers speaking in the House of Lords (HOL)
The reason the high mortality in the UK is because the majority of people are obese, and the population is the densest in Europe and moreover is the travel hub of Europe.
Blaming the Government for the high mortality is therefore one of the most despicable allegations Ive heard in this pandemic.
Peer heard saying 'for f***'s sake' in Lords debate after tech trouble
That kind of propaganda simply demoralises the public. Keir Starmer has said he wants to help the Government fight the pandemic.
Lord McColl added: If he really wants to help the British people, Keir Starmer should join the Prime Ministers campaign to reduce obesity now in order to reduce the mortality in future pandemics.
- The kids aren't all right: COVID-19-fueled stress eating, inequities, lack of fitness expected to boost obesity, experts say - USA TODAY - October 18th, 2020
- Hispanics live longer than most Americans, but will the US obesity epidemic change things? - The Conversation US - October 18th, 2020
- Obesity in children on the rise due to remote learning, study shows - WWLTV.com - October 18th, 2020
- How the pandemic is boosting the risk of childhood obesity WHYY - WHYY - October 18th, 2020
- Risk of severe Covid-19 high for obese people, regardless of other factors - Health24 - October 18th, 2020
- The COVID-19 pandemic emphasizes the need to manage patient obesity - Medical Economics - October 18th, 2020
- Learn About the Advice From FIGO on Obesity | Figo - International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics - October 18th, 2020
- Bariatric Surgery Associated with 3-Year Increase in Life Expectancy for Obese Patients - Endocrinology Network - October 18th, 2020
- funded study links adolescent brain differences to increased waist circumference - National Institutes of Health - October 18th, 2020
- National Pet Obesity Awareness Day puts spotlight on keeping furry friends at a healthy weight - KING5.com - October 18th, 2020
- Studies Begin to Untangle Obesitys Role in Covid-19 - The New York Times - September 29th, 2020
- Covid-19 has killed more people than obesity in the UK this year - Full Fact - September 29th, 2020
- Relation found between AMI and obesity < Hospital < - KBR - Korea Biomedical Review - September 29th, 2020
- Long-term impact of obesity on patient-reported outcomes and patient satisfaction after lumbar spine surgery: an observational study. - Physician's... - September 29th, 2020
- Recovered Covid patients just cant stop eating - The New Indian Express - September 29th, 2020
- Wellness Expert James Hill Says Healthy Is More Than Weight Loss - Healthline - September 29th, 2020
- Weight Gain Linked to Later Life Incident VTE - MD Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- 18 Percent Of Americans Don't Have Enough To Eat, Which Makes Them...Obese? - Science 2.0 - September 29th, 2020
- Food insecurity in the US increasingly linked to obesity - Medical News Today - September 28th, 2020
- U.S. Adult Obesity Rate Hits Highest Rate Ever Recorded - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Mission: Readiness ties obesity to national security - News - Times Record - September 28th, 2020
- The Intersection Of Obesity, COVID-19, Social Justice And Mental Health - Club Industry - September 28th, 2020
- Experience of Polish Patients with Obesity in Contacts with Medical Pr | PPA - Dove Medical Press - September 28th, 2020
- Cleveland Clinic Study Identifies Weight-Loss Threshold for Cardiovascular and Survival Benefits in Patients with Obesity and Diabetes - Health... - September 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus pandemic could impact cancer rates and care in the future - WKTV - September 28th, 2020
- An obese heart is a silent risk - The Hippocratic Post - September 28th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Heart Failure: Is There a Connection? - Michigan Medicine - September 28th, 2020
- Should India adopt NOVA classification of food? - The Sunday Guardian - September 28th, 2020
- Obesity and the Bitter Pill of Truth - Medscape - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: A renewed call to address a growing crisis - World Bank Group - September 23rd, 2020
- Negative pressure wound therapy does not cut infection risk in obese women after cesarean delivery - National Institutes of Health - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity linked to hospitalisation and ICUs for Covid-19 patients - The Irish Times - September 23rd, 2020
- New Research Shows Potential Utility of Growth Standards to Monitor Healthy Weight in Puppies and May Help Identify Puppies at Risk for Obesity -... - September 23rd, 2020
- SCOTUS, Sallys economic effects and obesity - AL.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Obesity can cause and be consequence of poor sleep - Westside Eagle Observer - September 23rd, 2020
- Health Education Week 2020: Opportunities and Advancements in Obesity Medicine - Medical Economics - September 23rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Recovery Analysis: Assisted Reproductive Technology Market | Increase in Rate of Infertility and Obesity-Related Cases to Boost the Market... - September 23rd, 2020
- Stephanie Yeboah: 'Obesity is a disgusting word... it's just used to scare people' - Telegraph.co.uk - September 23rd, 2020
- Diabetes, Obesity and other five risk factors that can lead to heart failure - India TV News - September 23rd, 2020
- Research finds out a new phenomenon of obesity with the multiple burden of malnutrition in India - Eastern Eye - September 23rd, 2020
- WHO launches guide to boost children's health and well-being in Russian-speaking countries - Russian Federation - ReliefWeb - September 23rd, 2020
- For teens with severe obesity, bariatric surgery works, but is rarely used. Experts say that needs to change - The Detroit News - September 20th, 2020
- Obesity associated with a higher risk for dementia, new study finds - National Institute on Aging - September 20th, 2020
- Your Health First: Top underlying health conditions in North Dakota? Obesity and Type 2 diabetes - KX NEWS - September 20th, 2020
- US adult obesity at highest level ever recorded; Arkansas and Oklahoma rank in top five - 5newsonline.com - September 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus science | Week in review: 'Long Covid', obesity, and will the virus become seasonal? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- Mediterranean diet helps offset the health impacts of obesity - Earth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Obese people 70% more at risk of severe COVID-19: Assocham - The Indian Express - September 20th, 2020
- Could interaction between Covid-19 and pre-existing bacteria explain severity in the obese? - Health24 - September 20th, 2020
- If a heavyweight is morbidly obese why is he also fit to box? - Boxing News Online - September 20th, 2020
- Cancer Is on the Rise Among Young People - Discover Magazine - September 20th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: Sept. 20 - Canon City Daily Record - September 20th, 2020
- Good nutrition can contribute to keeping COVID-19 and other diseases away - Kiowa County Press - September 20th, 2020
- Why COVID-19 is more deadly in people with obesityeven if they're young - Science Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Higher obesity rates appear to contribute to higher bankruptcy rates in the United States - PsyPost - September 8th, 2020
- Worldwide Non-Invasive Fat Reduction Industry to 2025 - Increasing Prevalence of Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business... - September 8th, 2020
- New evidence testosterone therapy is effective obesity treatment in men - New Atlas - September 8th, 2020
- Obesity is tied to greater risk of complications from COVID-19 - WWLTV.com - September 8th, 2020
- Pregnancy, Obesity and Nutrition Initiative (PONI): FIGO releases new Supplement - International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics - September 7th, 2020
- High Pleural Pressure Prevents Alveolar Overdistension and Hemodynamic Collapse in ARDS with Class III Obesity. - Physician's Weekly - September 7th, 2020
- Global Intragastric Balloon Market (2019 to 2028) - Rise in Government Initiatives Regarding Obesity Presents Opportunities - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - September 7th, 2020
- Drugs That Fight Diabetes and Obesity May Treat Covid-19 - Bloomberg - September 6th, 2020
- COVID-19 Patients With Obesity Have Higher Viral Load, for Longer - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Even half a glass of alcohol increases risk of obesity, study shows - Study Finds - September 6th, 2020
- America's Obesity Epidemic Threatens Effectiveness of Any COVID Vaccine - POZ - September 6th, 2020
- 'Fat-Shaming' Drops in US but UK Public Still Apportion Blame - Medscape - September 6th, 2020
- Calls for tougher regulation to fight obesity - Newsroom - September 6th, 2020
- Consumption of alcohol even in small amounts can result in obesity and metabolic syndrome, suggests study - Firstpost - September 6th, 2020
- World's richest countries grappling with children's reading and math skills, mental well-being and obesity - UNICEF - September 6th, 2020
- Definition of Chronic disease - MedicineNet - August 31st, 2020
- America's Move to Raise A Healthier Generation of Kids ... - August 31st, 2020
- Controlled obesity status: a rarely used concept, but with particular importance in the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond - DocWire News - August 31st, 2020
- Groningen University Hospital to investigate role of obesity in patients with COVID-19 - Innovation Origins - August 31st, 2020
- Obesity and COVID-19: How weight tips the scales to severe COVID-19 illness - The Stanford Daily - August 31st, 2020
- Study finds obese people at higher risk of COVID-19 complications - Times of India - August 31st, 2020
- Childhood obesity could increase the risk of multiple sclerosis in later life - The Conversation UK - August 31st, 2020
- Peter Rhodes on an Indian romance, the risks of obesity and standing up for nice things - expressandstar.com - August 31st, 2020
- Joint Pain Injections Market: Investments by key players is driving the global market - BioSpace - August 31st, 2020
- Why your doctor will not talk to you about obesity - The Standard - August 31st, 2020
- EDITORIAL: We haven't tackled obesity - and now it's proving our downfall - Bahamas Tribune - August 31st, 2020