Daniel Cormier has been public and self-effacing about his issues cutting weight in the past. For his next fight, there will be an added wrinkle.
When Cormier defends his UFC light heavyweight title against Jon Jones in the UFC 214 main event on July 29 in Anaheim, Calif., it will be the first UFC show taking place under new weight-cutting rules approved by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC). Last month, CSAC passed a 10-point plan in an effort to combat extreme weight cutting and severe dehydration in MMA.
I have to be careful, Cormier told MMA Fighting in a phone interview Thursday.
Perhaps the most significant part of the 10-point plan is licensing by weight class. The doctors who conduct physicals for fighters will have more influence than ever before. Previously, the only thing a doctor would determine in the licensing process is whether or not a fighter is fit to compete in the cage. Now for fighters in California, the doctor will be asked on the form whether the fighter will be able to get down to the requested weight class in a healthy, safe manner.
There is even a chart on the new CSAC medical forms that shows doctors what the weight classes in MMA are and what weight is 10 percent above those. Earlier this year, the CSAC medical advisory committee settled on anything more than a 10-percent loss in weight being a red flag.
Cormier will have to weigh-in July 28 for the title fight at 205 pounds on the dot. Ten percent above that is 225.5 pounds. So Cormiers plan, he said, is to start his diet early and get down to 225 in time for the physical, which will be conducted about a month out of the bout.
And thats not necessarily a negative, the champ said.
It will actually be better for me, because Ill get down in weight earlier, Cormier said. Thats the way I used to do it when I first moved down to 205.
Cormier, 38, missed out on the Olympics in 2008 due to kidney failure brought on by extreme weight cutting. He was trying to reach 211.5 pounds for the Games and now he needs to get even lower for every one of his UFC fights at 205.
DC had weight issues prior to his title defense against Anthony Johnson at UFC 210. He missed weight on his first attempt, only to make 205 less than three minutes later while grabbing onto a towel.
Cormier said he was holding the towel to further protect his private parts from being captured on camera, but many believe he was using it to re-distribute his weight to come in lighter. Johnson filed an appeal saying that very thing that has since been denied by the New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) and the commission has since changed its weigh-in policies so that fighters cannot be touching anything but the scale.
Whatever actually happened that day, there was no doubt that Cormier had a hard time losing the weight. He admitted as much a few days later on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani.
This was the hardest one by far, said Cormier, who beat Johnson by second-round submission. I think the beginning of my 205-pound career was easier because I was fighting so often. Like, if you remember, I fought Patrick Cummins, then I fought Dan Henderson, then I fought (Jon) Jones and I fought (Alexander) Gustafsson, Rumble. They were all within the first year-and-a-half. So every three or four months, I was fighting; whereas now, after Gustafsson, it was like nine months (until UFC 200), and then this time again it was like eight months. So its just a lot of time between fights. Just, I need to be a little more active, so that my weight doesnt get as high, and also my body gets used to the weight cut again.
Cormier (19-1) does agree that rules about weight cutting should be welcomed, to some degree. Fighters should not have to struggle and put themselves at risk leading up to competition just so they can fight. Cormier said fighters always say once they step on the scale that the hard part is done.
But DC understands when fighters react poorly to government intervention in things like cutting weight some athletes are doing it the wrong way, but many are doing it safely, he said. And most people who are in the discussions about these rules have never actually experienced a weight cut in their lives, with the exception of CSAC executive officer Andy Foster, a longtime former fighter.
Fighters dont want to be told what they and they cant do by people who have never done it before, Cormier said. If [Foster] was a fighter and hes cut weight before, then hes actually qualified to speak on it.
If done the right way with fighters getting a say in the matter, Cormier said hed be in favor of cleaning up that part of MMA.
I think there will be changes that happen, eventually, he said. Its not a bad thing.
View original post here:
Daniel Cormier on new CSAC weight rules: 'I have to be careful' - MMA Fighting
- How Much Weight Is Safe to Lose in a Month? | Weight Loss ... - September 14th, 2019
- Losing Weight After 60 Is Hard Here Are 9 Ways to Drop ... - July 22nd, 2019
- How to Lose 10 Pounds Without Starving (Or Putting It ... - July 21st, 2019
- Weight loss: 6 strategies for success - Mayo Clinic - July 9th, 2019
- 5 Ways Saxenda Helps with Weight Loss & How to use it Safely - May 19th, 2019
- Top 10 Weight Loss Programs 2019 - Reviews, Costs & Features - May 16th, 2019
- Weight Management | Weight Loss | Henry Ford Health System ... - May 16th, 2019
- 13 Easy Ways to Lose Water Weight (Fast and Safely) - April 25th, 2019
- Losing weight guide | healthdirect - April 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight safely - Food and nutrition | NHS inform - March 15th, 2019
- Alcohol and Losing Weight | Is Alcohol Bad for Weight Loss? - March 13th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Safely and Healthily Losing Weight Fast - March 12th, 2019
- Rapid Weight Loss: Is It Safe? Does It Work? - webmd.com - February 23rd, 2019
- Losing weight safely? | Yahoo Answers - February 22nd, 2019
- Autorotation - Wikipedia - February 9th, 2019
- Top 5 Natural Appetite Suppressants to Help Lose Weight ... - January 31st, 2019
- Ayurvedic Home Remedies For Weight Loss - Pitta Ayurveda - January 31st, 2019
- Start the NHS weight loss plan - NHS - January 14th, 2019
- Pointers on Losing Weight Safely - December 15th, 2018
- How to Safely Lose Weight During Pregnancy - healthline.com - December 6th, 2018
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - kidshealth.org - November 22nd, 2018
- PCOS Diet: Stop Counting Calories and Start Losing Weight ... - June 29th, 2018
- Lose weight - Live Well - NHS Choices - May 21st, 2018
- Underactive Pituitary Gland (Hypopituitarism) - Healthline - March 5th, 2018
- The Pituitary Society | Glossary of Terms Related to ... - March 5th, 2018
- Hypopituitary: Pituitary Gland Disorder Causes & Treatments - March 5th, 2018
- List At Least 5 Tips And Guidelines For Losing Weight Safely - February 28th, 2018
- Weight Loss Help in Little Rock AR Lose A Pound A Day Safely - January 29th, 2018
- How to lose weight fast, but safely - Healthy tips for ... - December 7th, 2017
- 5 Ways to Lose Weight Safely - wikiHow - October 15th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Safely - webmd.com - October 13th, 2017
- Hurricane Irma could follow in Hugo's deadly and destructive footsteps - Winston-Salem Journal - September 6th, 2017
- Lasix potassium sparing diuretic - Relex lasik thailand - Does lasix cause diabetes - GrungeCake (press release) (blog) - September 5th, 2017
- Nikkei falls to 1-week lows as North Korea tensions persist - Reuters - September 5th, 2017
- Millennials Down on Opioids - National Pain Report - September 4th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding Without Losing Your ... - September 4th, 2017
- How to Safely Use Weight Loss Shakes - wikiHow - August 25th, 2017
- Ask a Geriatrician: How can I prevent falls? - The Daily Progress - August 25th, 2017
- How Can I Lose Weight Safely? - August 19th, 2017
- Body & Mind Medical Weight Loss Center's Jump Start to Health Program Delivers Visible Results With 10-Day ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- This is the diet Guy Sebastian did to look ripped on the cover of Men's Health - NEWS.com.au - August 8th, 2017
- The Keto diet: Is eating more fat the key to weight loss? - Arizona State University - August 8th, 2017
- 'More pressure on new mums to lose weight' Amy Childs slammed ... - goodtoknow - August 4th, 2017
- Family beach vacation spawns a marital battle - The Seattle Times - August 4th, 2017
- Losing weight safely - Business Mirror - August 3rd, 2017
- FAT BUSTER: He did this when he hit 100 kilos! - Times of India - July 31st, 2017
- OLDER AND WISER: It's important to get up and move around - North Shore News - July 31st, 2017
- Kris Harris: Unleash you're fitness animal - Longmont Times-Call - July 31st, 2017
- Trichomoniasis zithromax treatment - Medicine infographic - Van Wert independent - July 11th, 2017
- Propecia hair products - Propecia safe or not - Van Wert independent - July 9th, 2017
- Green Park Care Home placed in special measures by the Care Quality Commission after residents found to be at risk ... - Warrington Guardian - July 9th, 2017
- Samoa Joe Can't Be Stopped - Deadspin - July 9th, 2017
- 3rd time's the charm for SpaceX comsat launch - WSAW - July 8th, 2017
- 5 important hydration tips to stay safe in the heat - WRAL.com - July 5th, 2017
- SpaceX finally launches Falcon 9 rocket - WDEF News 12 - July 5th, 2017
- Diet Doc Examines the Drawbacks of the 'Coffee Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - July 5th, 2017
- What is anorexia nervosa? Signs, symptoms and treatment options for the common disorder - The Sun - July 4th, 2017
- The one preventable health problem that's most likely to kill you - MarketWatch - June 30th, 2017
- Medically Managed Weight Loss: A Nonsurgical Approach to a Healthier Weight - Newswise (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- Chaotic Messaging: When Eating Disorders Enter the Media - Jewish Link of New Jersey - June 30th, 2017
- Four-star recruits haven't changed Pete - KTVB - June 29th, 2017
- The Best Way to Lose Weight Safely - livescience.com - June 28th, 2017
- How to Lose Water Weight - WomansDay.com (blog) - June 28th, 2017
- Netflix's 'To the Bone' Could Be Harmful to Those With Anorexia - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- I Tried A Diet And Fitness Plan Based On My DNA And Couldn't Believe The Results - BuzzFeed News - June 28th, 2017
- How to lose those last 5 pounds - Today.com - June 28th, 2017
- Shonda Rhimes Hated the Newfound Attention She Got After Losing Weight - SELF - June 28th, 2017
- Sharing decision to have weight loss surgery is purely personal choice - Billings Gazette - June 28th, 2017
- Could the hCG Diet Be 'Life Threatening'? - Yahoo Health - June 28th, 2017
- Holly Willoughby looks awkward as giggling Loose Woman Nadia Sawalha comments on her weight loss - The Sun - June 28th, 2017
- Diet Doc Weight Loss Program Offers Greater Customized Results Than The 'Blood Type Diet' - GlobeNewswire (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- Protein gels to stop deadly effects of muscle wasting due to cancer - Independent.ie - June 27th, 2017
- Don't 'Eat for Two' While Pregnant - Healthline - June 25th, 2017
- Levitra soft tabs 20mg - Queens Tribune - June 25th, 2017
- Big Blue View Mailbag: Dwayne Harris, Donte Deayon, More Roster Questions - Big Blue View - June 24th, 2017
- Many roads, one truth for cyclists - San Francisco Chronicle - June 22nd, 2017
- 7 Lifesaving Habits To Keep Heart Disease Away - Information Nigeria - June 21st, 2017
- The ST Guide To... losing weight and getting fit - The Straits Times - June 17th, 2017
- Losing weight? Vegetarian diets help shed twice as many pounds - SHEmazing - June 14th, 2017
- UFC Gym Santa Clarita's Functional Fitness Program Offers A Unique Workout Method For Community - KHTS Radio - June 14th, 2017