An elderly lady hears a knock at the door. Thinking its Meals on Wheels, she opens it to find a bloke dressed in blue, wearing a red cape with his pants on over his tights and claiming to be Clark Kent. She stares at him in bafflement.
Superman! he cries.
She looks him up and down, doubtfully. Ill have the soup, please, she says.
I tell this partly because its silly and makes me laugh aloud, partly to illustrate that the prefix super has rather lost its heroic allure here in 2020.
Since the advent of superbugs that dont respond to antibiotics, super rats that are resistant to poison and now super-spreaders, unwittingly responsible for infecting countless others with the new coronavirus, super-anythings are best avoided.
But how would you feel about being dubbed a super-ager? Its where your biological age is much lower than your chronological age, making you a source of wonder and envy.
We all know people who look decades younger than their peers and are far more energetic than their own teenage kids. What is their secret?
Thanks to a new breakthrough in DNA testing at the University of Southern California, researchers have pinpointed the genes present in those who remain young at heart (as well as mind and limb), despite the passage of the years.
While the outlook is bright for these veritable Benjamin Buttons who stay active long past retirement, they are the exception rather than the rule. Scientists found that some individuals had a body age 40 years older than their real age. In one instance a 66-year-old was found to have a biological are 114 whereas a 59-year-old had a body age of 23.
But the good news is that genetics alone dont dictate health and longevity or, indeed, healthy longevity. Lifestyle is arguably an even more crucial factor and improving it will reverse ageing.
With 29 per cent of adults in England obese, and a further 35 per cent overweight, a horrifying 64 per cent, the majority of the population is fat, according to the NHS.
No wonder its buckling under the burden; in 2017/18, there were 711,000 hospital admissions where obesity was recorded as a primary or secondary diagnosis, a figure up 15 per cent. Yes, thats up 15 per cent from 2016/17. Overeating is a homegrown epidemic raging out of control.
Maybe super-aging as a concept, as a goal, could provide a positive incentive to those battling with weight? It certainly shook me from my complacency.
A few years ago, I interviewed metabolic experts at Newcastle University, who were taking part in the fascinating BBC Series, How To Stay Young, in which a cross section of ordinary people had their body age measured. In every case, it was far older than their birth age, due to poor diet and too little exercise.
Purely in the spirit of research, I gamely went through the same tests and discovered I had a biological age of 70, compared to my actual age of 51. This shocking differential was down to my weight, which was placing me at increased risk of diseases like cancer, dementia and type 2 diabetes.
I was gutted. Mortified. In tears and deeply ashamed, I had neglectfully allowed a few pounds here or there to accumulate to the point where I was seriously compromising my own long-term health.
It was stupid and unnecessary. Just because adverts and voiceovers exhort you to go ahead and treat yourself doesnt mean you should. I thought I was better than that. Turns out, I wasnt.
I was told in no uncertain terms to lose weight, and fast. It didnt matter how; a crash diet was far less of a danger than staying fat. I always thought of fat as being a largely inert substance that caused narrowing of arteries and surrounded organs making them less efficient.
It turns out that fat enters every cell. It impedes healthy functioning, disrupts the metabolic processes, creates conditions that cause cancers to develop and ages the body prematurely. Terrifying stuff. But sometimes we need to be frightened into effecting change.
I know I did. And my diet journey taught me that if losing weight is hard, keeping it off feels downright Sisyphean. So how to stay focussed? I genuinely believe that turning the obesity crisis from a moral panic into a numbers game might do the trick.
Who wouldnt want to join the ranks of the super-agers? Targeted goals shed five pounds, get back eight years of health or whatever would transform losses into gains.
Warding off old age is a far more potent, life-affirming goal than fitting into a favourite frock in time for a spring wedding. Especially when you know you have last years capacious polka-dot Zara dress on standby, just in case.
I eventually lost 22lbs (10kg) in 12 weeks, slashing my biological age to 55 and halving my risk of type 2 diabetes. I was delighted, but thereafter the real work started as I have sought to maintain my new weight ever since.
These headlines about super-aging have given me a useful fillip and reminded me whats at stake. I feel its a message that urgently needs to get out there.
If more of us had the mindset that refraining from that 4pm slump brownie might be a sacrifice today but an investment in tomorrow, mine could be a generation of super-agers, skiing, surfing and bringing meals on wheels to those decades younger but far less fit for purpose.
Read Judith Woods at telegraph.co.uk every Thursday, at 7pm
Here is the original post:
Could super-agers slim down the vast amount the NHS spends on obesity? - Telegraph.co.uk
- Weight loss benefits that go beyond slimming - Times of India - March 31st, 2020
- Honor your body and improve your health in the process - Charlotte Post - March 31st, 2020
- Don't Get Duped by Health Fraud! Avoid These Red Flags - The Great Courses Daily News - March 31st, 2020
- Stress Wont Kill You, But Your Reaction To It Might - Ponoka News - March 31st, 2020
- Other Sports: Weighty task for Prem - The Star Online - March 31st, 2020
- Looking About in Mendocino County during coronavirus: A place of gratefulness - The Willits News - March 31st, 2020
- Masterchefs Gregg Wallace takes on Joe Wicks with workout routine - Metro.co.uk - March 30th, 2020
- Building Toward the Long-Term Financial Future: Needs, Wants, and Wishes - The Ticker Tape - March 30th, 2020
- The Incredible Body Transformation of Jorge Masvidal Over The Years - Essentially Sports - March 30th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Jessica shows off new face and body after $111K plastic surgery makeover - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 'I wasnt in a good place' Kedren loses amazing 3.5st to help turn life around - Stoke-on-Trent Live - March 30th, 2020
- How to workout in a small apartment without annoying your neighbors - Insider - INSIDER - March 30th, 2020
- Is Consuming Coffee & Lemon Together Beneficial? Explore 3 Most Common Claims about the Mix - Krishi Jagran - March 30th, 2020
- From baking bread with just 3 ingredients to 1 tacos easy recipes to boost your mood during coronavirus lo - The Sun - March 30th, 2020
- 14 Books We Cant Wait to Read in April - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 30th, 2020
- How X-FACTOR #87 (1993) Changed My Concept Of What A Comic Book Could Be - Monkeys Fighting Robots - March 30th, 2020
- William & Mary coaches adjust through communication and technology - William & Mary News - March 30th, 2020
- Inspirational Reading mum's touching gesture to husband with incurable cancer - Get Reading - March 30th, 2020
- Here's Why You're Not Losing Weight From Intermittent Fasting - Men's Health - March 28th, 2020
- LET'S GET PHYSICAL: Simple mindset shifts that will help you lose weight - The Bakersfield Californian - March 28th, 2020
- What to do during the coronavirus quarantine if you're on a diet - USA TODAY - March 28th, 2020
- Walking is one of the best things you can do for your health amid coronavirus - New York Post - March 28th, 2020
- Is intermittent fasting the right choice? - We Are The Mighty - March 28th, 2020
- Easy egg salad recipes for weight loss - Times of India - March 28th, 2020
- It switch! The new beach body of Adele after losing weight about 70 kilos in the last decade - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Weight loss with intermittent fasting? Three readers share their success story: I lost no less than 51 kg in 8 months - The KXAN 36 News - March 28th, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - ExaminerLive - March 28th, 2020
- Man praises NHS staff after his 86-year-old father recovers from coronavirus - Nottinghamshire Live - March 28th, 2020
- Overweight to extreme thinness, Adele is concerned about his fans for his new look - Play Crazy Game - March 28th, 2020
- Couple lose 15 stone after being left mortified by picture of them dressed as Tweedledee and Tweedledum - MyLondon - March 28th, 2020
- From radiant skin to boosting immunity, everything you need to know about saffron - Times Now - March 28th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser trainer Erica Lugo reveals how she lost 160 lbs. and its something we all can do - HOLA! USA - March 27th, 2020
- 32-Year Veteran Coach Roy Williams 'I'm Hungrier; Anxious To Get Back to Work' - Sports Illustrated - March 27th, 2020
- Soccer enthusiast hopes to play again after Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - March 27th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise experts offer 7 reasons why you may not be losing weight - The Irish News - March 26th, 2020
- 12 Reasons You're Not Losing Weight While Doing Intermittent Fasting, According To An RD - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Green coffee and how it aids weight loss - AZ Big Media - March 26th, 2020
- Best apps to track what youre eating and maintain (or lose) weight while quarantined - Android Police - March 26th, 2020
- Weigh out there | Columnists - San Mateo Daily Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Weight loss or fat loss? What it means and what you should know - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- RHOCs Emily Simpson shows off incredible weight loss in skintight pants and swimsuits - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Adele, obsessed with fitness and losing weight - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Adele becomes obsessed with losing weight and fitness - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- 'This Is Us': Does Season 4 pass the Bechdel test for fat women? - Los Angeles Times - March 26th, 2020
- This Mornings Alison Hammond boasts shes good in bed after losing weight - The Sun - March 26th, 2020
- 5 health and fitness apps to download in the UAE - Time Out Abu Dhabi - March 26th, 2020
- Mandels Mailbag: Will there be a college football season this fall? - The Athletic - March 26th, 2020
- 10 habits of people who lose weight and keep it off - The Australian Financial Review - March 23rd, 2020
- Body recomposition: How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time - CNET - March 23rd, 2020
- Mum and daughter show off their new figures after curbing their junk food addiction - Cambridgeshire Live - Cambridgeshire Live - March 23rd, 2020
- Nonprofit helps with weight loss - Dover Post - March 23rd, 2020
- Realized I needed to improve my physical fitness to get back in IPL, states Sheldon Jackson - SportsCafe - March 23rd, 2020
- 'I lost 4st and had the miracle baby doctors told me Id never give birth to' - Mirror Online - March 23rd, 2020
- Heart disease is the number one killer of both men and women - Marshalltown Times Republican - March 23rd, 2020
- The carrot and stick approach - Fruitnet - March 23rd, 2020
- Scarlett Moffatt: Ive Had To Ring The Samaritans Because Of Years Of Trolling - Grazia - March 23rd, 2020
- Emotional Eating May Soar Due to Coronavirus Anxiety and Nationwide Shutdowns - GlobeNewswire - March 23rd, 2020
- Would Having the Tokyo Games Even Be Fair to the Athletes? - The New York Times - March 23rd, 2020
- A mother's wonderful gift of life to little Cleo - Independent.ie - March 23rd, 2020
- Coronation Street Spoilers for next week: David struggles with shocking news & Yasmeen refuses to hear the truth - RadioTimes - March 23rd, 2020
- Land Rover marks a milestone with the Discovery Landmark - Hull Daily Mail - March 23rd, 2020
- Weight loss: From 125 to 80 kilos, this student lost a massive 45 kilos - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Posting Jokes and Memes About Weight Gain During COVID-19 Is Not OK - Allure - March 21st, 2020
- The Best Diet and Fitness Apps to Help Lose Weight and Stay Healthy - Chowhound - March 21st, 2020
- Gratitude in the Face of Crisis - The New York Times - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman sheds 5 stone in 5 months & reversed type 2 diabetes with simple diet - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Weight loss: Are detox teas healthy? Here is all you need to know about their benefits, side effects - Times Now - March 21st, 2020
- It's OK To Stress-Eat & Gain Weight When You're In Coronavirus Lockdown - YourTango - March 21st, 2020
- Exactly What to Eat to Be Your Healthiest, by Bestselling Author Dr. Joel Fuhrman - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- Instead of Gaining the Freshman 15, Aime Actually Lost Weight Her First Semester - POPSUGAR - March 21st, 2020
- These Are The Most Common Behavioral Habits That Can Stall Your Weight Loss, According To An MD - Yahoo Lifestyle - March 21st, 2020
- The Strangers Brandon Fellows reveals four and a half stone weight loss after cutting out takeaways and j - The Sun - March 21st, 2020
- Adorable & AdoptablePets of the Week: Leah, Molly, & Kittles - SweetwaterNOW.com - March 21st, 2020
- Common Health Problems Causing You to be Overweight - The Leader Newspaper Online - March 21st, 2020
- Carol Radull opens up on tough times that saw her lose Dad and brother - Pulse Live Kenya - March 21st, 2020
- Mailbag: How are the Gators handling the coronavirus pandemic? - GatorCountry.com - March 21st, 2020
- Watch when Tyson Furys press conference was crashed by the Wealdstone Raider, who called him out for a f - talkSPORT.com - March 21st, 2020
- Aussie mum sheds 65kgs thanks to her simple $2 trick! - That's Life! - March 21st, 2020
- How to EAT your way to a six pack while in isolation - Brinkwire - March 21st, 2020
- How to Lose Weight and Keep It Off - The New York Times - March 19th, 2020