Cortisol is one of the many hormones produced in your body which serve as chemical messengers.
While commonly referred to as the stress hormone due to its role in your bodys stress response, it has a number of other important functions.
Some people wonder if cortisol levels have an influence on body weight.
This article details the potential effect of cortisol on weight gain, including some ways to reduce its levels in your body.
Cortisol is an important steroid hormone that belongs to a class of hormones called glucocorticoids.
Its produced in the adrenal glands found just above your kidneys.
In addition to aiding in your bodys stress response, its other roles include (1, 2, 3, 4):
Cortisol is generally released in close relation with your bodys circadian rhythm with 5060% of it being released with 3040 minutes of waking, and levels then falling throughout the day (5).
Its production and release is regulated by your pituitary gland and the hypothalamus located in your brain.
During times of increased stress, cortisol and adrenaline are released from your adrenal glands. This triggers an increase in heart rate and energy levels, preparing your body for a potentially harmful situation.
While this response is normal, continued elevations in cortisol can lead to negative side effects.
Cortisol is a necessary hormone with important functions in your body, which include increasing blood sugar, reducing inflammation, suppressing the immune system, and aiding in nutrient metabolism.
Among the numerous factors influencing your body weight, hormone regulation is an important one.
While hormones such as cortisol are usually kept within a tight range by your bodys endocrine system, there are certain situations in which they can become low or elevated.
Small rises in cortisol levels in response to stress are normal and not likely to cause negative side effects.
Yet, in certain instances, cortisol levels may remain chronically elevated.
This is usually due to stress or a condition like Cushings syndrome, which causes blood levels of cortisol to remain high (6).
When cortisol levels remain elevated, the following side effects may occur (7):
When under chronic stress, it may be difficult to maintain healthful eating habits.
One study in 59 healthy women found an association between elevated cortisol levels and an increase in appetite, which could potentially promote weight gain (8).
In addition, another study found an association between a higher cortisol response and a higher amount of belly fat in a group of 172 men and women, suggesting that higher cortisol may lead to overeating (9).
That said, levels of stress and cortisol arent always directly related, thus more data is needed to establish a direct relationship (10).
Just as high cortisol levels may cause weight gain, low levels may cause weight loss in some instances.
The most extreme example is in Addisons disease, a condition in which your body doesnt produce enough cortisol (11, 12).
The most notable symptoms of low cortisol include (13):
While high cortisol levels may seem more common, its important to be aware of the effects of low cortisol as well.
Chronically elevated cortisol levels may promote overeating and weight gain, whereas low cortisol levels may lead to weight loss in some instances. Still, more research is needed.
While there may be many stressors in your life potentially contributing to elevated cortisol, there are several effective methods for managing your levels and preventing or combating weight gain.
One of the main ways to combat weight gain is to engage in regular physical activity.
Regular exercise has been associated with a reduction in stress levels and allows you to be more resilient when stressors present themselves (14, 15, 16).
One study in 3,425 participants who reported emotional eating found an association between their level of physical activity and BMI (body mass index) (17).
Whats more, exercising stimulates the release of endorphins, which are feel-good chemicals that promote happiness and can help manage stress (18).
Regular physical activity can also promote weight loss or weight management due to the calories burned while exercising (19, 20).
Another powerful tool for managing weight gain due to stress is practicing mindful, or intuitive, eating.
Mindfulness comes from a Buddhist concept meaning to be fully present and aware of what youre doing at a given moment (21).
Mindful eating applies this concept to food, encouraging you to be fully aware of your eating experience, including specific cues, such as hunger, fullness, taste, and texture (21, 22).
One large cross-sectional study found an association between the practice of intuitive eating and a lower body weight (23).
A simple way to start practicing mindful eating is to do away with distractions at meals, allowing you to be fully aware of hunger and fullness cues.
If youre curious about mindful eating but dont know where to start, check out our free 21-day mindful eating challenge.
Another potential way to deal with weight gain that could be related to high cortisol levels is to speak with a qualified practitioner, such as a psychologist or registered dietitian.
A therapist can assist you in coming up with some strategies to reduce overall stress, which in turn may help you manage emotional eating (24).
On the other hand, a dietitian can provide nutrition education to equip you with the tools you need to make more healthful decisions surrounding food.
The dual-prong approach to improving your food habits and emotional well-being is an excellent step in preventing or combating weight gain.
Sleep is a commonly overlooked variable that has a significant effect on cortisol levels and potential weight gain.
Disruptions to your sleep pattern whether chronic or acute can promote an unhealthy increase in cortisol levels (25).
Over time, this can have a negative effect on your metabolism and cause an increase in certain hormones related to hunger and appetite, potentially leading to weight gain (26, 27, 28).
Therefore, ensuring that youre getting adequate sleep each night can go a long way toward maintaining healthy cortisol levels.
The general recommendation for sleep is 79 hours per night, though this varies by age and other factors (29).
Yet another potential tool for managing cortisol levels is meditation.
The purpose of meditation is to train your mind to focus and redirect your thoughts.
While several types of meditation exist, the most commonly practiced ones are mindful, spiritual, focused, movement, mantra, and transcendental.
Regardless of which you choose, practicing meditation has been associated with a reduction in cortisol levels in various populations (30, 31).
In addition, meditation may even help improve the quality of your sleep (32).
There are numerous ways to help reduce cortisol levels and combat potential weight gain. The most effective methods include exercising, practicing mindful eating, ensuring sufficient sleep, and practicing meditation.
Cortisol is an important adrenal hormone that serves many essential functions in your body, including controlling your blood sugar, reducing inflammation, and regulating your metabolism.
Slight elevations in cortisol in response to stress are normal, though when levels remain chronically elevated, side effects may occur one being weight gain.
That said, there are several effective methods to preventing or combating weight gain, such as exercising, meditating, or seeking guidance from a dietitian.
See the rest here:
Cortisol and Weight Gain: Is There a Connection? - Healthline
- Innerme's Organic Plant-Based Sports Nutrition Supplements Debuted This Month at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports... - October 22nd, 2020
- Trends Of Weight Management Packaged Foods Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- INNOVIOM Debuted Tranquini and Wowie Relaxation Beverages at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports Nutrition Program for... - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market to 2026: Growth Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Types and Applications - News by Decresearch - October 22nd, 2020
- There's a New Reason You Can't Lose Weight, According to Science - Best Life - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market 2020-2026 Trends, industry vertical, along with the geography, delivering valuable insights. -... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast 2026 |... - October 22nd, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected To Reach xx.xx Mn By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 22nd, 2020
- Bongmi Group launches InFasting App - A Powerful and Effective New Digital Intermittent Fasting Tool - PRNewswire - October 22nd, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Aerobic Vs. Anaerobic: Which Is Better For Weight Loss And Performance? - generationiron.com - October 21st, 2020
- This Weight Loss Method Could Add Years to Your Life, New Study Finds - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss & Weight Management Market 2020 Size, Share, Regional Growth, Trends, Methods, Applications, Equipment vendors, Business Prospects and... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR By 2026: Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Management Supplements Market by Industry Trends, Statistics, key Companies Growth and Regional Forecast by 2026 - TechnoWeekly - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss Management Market Size, Comprehensive Analysis, Development Strategy, Future Plans and Industry Growth with High CAGR by Forecast... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market Growth And Threats Analysis 2020 By Regional Overview Of Leading Companies, Types,... - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market to Register Steady Growth During 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Forecasts To 2027: Global Industry Growth, Share, Size, Trends And Segmentation Report - Stock Market Vista - October 21st, 2020
- The best time to walk for weight loss - Times of India - October 16th, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman loses 5st and credits belly fat loss to this simple diet - Express - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market at a Rapid Growth Pace Until 2027 With Top Companies to Watch Out in COVID 19: Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness,... - October 16th, 2020
- Pain Management, Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Drinking Less Alcohol - News18 - October 16th, 2020
- Doing This Each Morning Is The Key To Weight Loss - KYR News - October 16th, 2020
- How Weight Management Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - October 16th, 2020
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Yale Clinical and Translational Research Accelerator collaborate to explore potential benefits of digital health technologies... - October 16th, 2020
- Livongo to Release Results for the Third Quarter of Fiscal Year 2020 - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Walking At This Time Can Help You Lose More Weight - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Products Market Overview and Scope 2020 to 2025 | FinancialContent Business Page - Financial Content - October 16th, 2020
- Global Mobile Weight Loss Market Report 2020: Digital Solutions Transform the Weight Loss Industry and Chronic Care - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Industry Competitors Strategy And-Global industry Size and Share to Forecast by 2026 - re:Jerusalem - October 16th, 2020
- Coffee, food delivery: Two things Paul Lee had to control on road to weight loss - Manila Bulletin - October 16th, 2020
- VectivBio Closes $110 Million Crossover Financing to Advance Transformational Medicines for Rare Diseases - BioSpace - October 16th, 2020
- Another Reason to Stop the PPI: Clinician Debate - Medscape - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Loss & Weight Management Market 2020-2026: Growth Analysis and Massive Trends by Premium-Insight, Price-Strategies, Application,... - October 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And Forecast To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 16th, 2020
- The 3-Day Cardiac Diet: Effectiveness, Downsides, and Menu - Healthline - October 10th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Weight Loss and Weight Management Product Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - AlgosOnline - October 10th, 2020
- 2027 Projections: Weight Management Foods Market Report By Type, Application And Regional Outlook - The Daily Chronicle - October 10th, 2020
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market Prospers in the New Working Reality of COVID-19 Outbreak, Says Fact.MR New Report - The Cloud Tribune - October 10th, 2020
- Obese individuals who gain weight tend to underestimate their body size - Study Finds - October 10th, 2020
- Dietary fibers in food industry market is expected to be growing at a growth rate of 10.50% in the forecast period of 2020 to 2027. The increasing... - October 10th, 2020
- Outlook on the Functional Food Global Market to 2027 - Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast - GlobeNewswire - October 10th, 2020
- Blood Bank Information System Market 2020: Global and Regional Analysis by Top Key Weight Loss & Weight Management Market Players, Key Regions,... - October 10th, 2020
- Blood Sugar Control Could Help Protect Neurologic Health in Patients with Diabetes - Endocrinology Network - October 10th, 2020
- Even If You've Never Heard of Weight Bias, You May Have Experienced It, and It's Not OK - POPSUGAR - October 10th, 2020
- Jaw Cracking Causes, Treatments, and When to See a Doctor - Healthline - October 6th, 2020
- Weight Management Market 2020 Upcoming Trends, Latest Innovation, Advance Technology and Top Companies to 2025 - uco360.com - October 6th, 2020
- The Analyst's Take: An update on the $47B sports nutrition market - New Hope Network - October 3rd, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Johnson Health Tech,... - October 3rd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily... - October 3rd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Top key Players, Size, Share, Demand, Opportunities And Forecasts To 2025 - Crypto Daily - October 3rd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Upcoming Trends, Segmentation and Forecast to 2020 - The Daily Chronicle - October 3rd, 2020
- The Keto Diet and Long-Term Weight Loss: Is it a Safe Option? - Inquiries Journal - October 3rd, 2020
- Weight regain: Why it happens and what to do - The Durango Herald - October 3rd, 2020
- Bajra: Benefits, Uses, and Nutrition - Healthline - October 3rd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Growth In Future - The Market Records - October 3rd, 2020
- What Is Monk Fruit? Get the Facts on This Zero-Calorie Sweetener - msnNOW - October 3rd, 2020
- The 12 Best Casein Protein Powders of 2020 - Healthline - October 3rd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Booming By Size, Revenue, Trends, And Top Growing Companies 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis by Trends, Growth, Company Overview and Forecast by 2026 Latest... - October 1st, 2020
- Weight Loss And Weight Management Industry Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025) - Express Journal - October 1st, 2020
- Bariatric surgery is booming, as obese patients worry about their Covid-19 risks - The Daily Briefing - October 1st, 2020
- 11 Things That Could Be Impacting Your Weight - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - October 1st, 2020
- International Coffee Day 2020: 4 Amazing Reasons To Drink Green Coffee And Yummy Recipes - NDTV Food - October 1st, 2020
- The One Food To Eat To Feel Full, According to a Dietitian - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 1st, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Management Product Market 2020 Industry Trends, Forecast 2025 After Covid-19 Impact Analysis By Top Vendors- Atkins... - October 1st, 2020
- TikTok is cracking down on weight loss ads that promote harmful body images - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- Growth of Weight Management Beverages in Global Industry: Overview, Size and Share 2019-2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) IMPACT ON Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market OUTLOOK, RECENT TRENDS AND GROWTH FORECAST 2020-2026 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Wear the Gown: Pediatrician concerned childhood obesity rising as students learn from home - KHOU.com - September 30th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Growth Analysis By Revenue, Size, Share, Scenario on Latest Trends & Types, Applications 2021 to 2030 Forecast | Impact... - September 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Poised to Expand at a Robust Pace by 2027 - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Weight Watchers boss reveals 6 ways to lose weight and keep healthy this winter - The Irish Sun - September 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market To Record Exponential Growth During Projected Timeframe - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- What are the long-term effects of coronavirus (COVID-19)? - Medical News Today - September 30th, 2020
- New Nutrition Facts Label in 2020: Changes and What to Know - Healthline - September 30th, 2020
- High Protein Diet: 5 Yummy Ways To Have Chana For Breakfast - NDTV Food - September 30th, 2020
- Natural therapies for type 2 diabetes: 5 herbs and supplements that can help lower blood sugar levels - Times Now - September 30th, 2020