If a person contracts coronavirus their immune system will work overtime to protect the body and fight off the infection. What a person eats will either help or hinder if this does become a reality. Dr Michael Barnish, head of nutrition and genetics at REVIV offers his advice on how we can keep our bodies in tip top shape should the worst happen.
The immune system is responsible for fighting foreign invaders in the body, like pathogenic bacteria and viruses, and to destroy cells within the body when they become cancerous.
Poor nutrition results in increased infections, slow healing from injury and infections, and increases susceptibility to symptoms and complications from immune system dysfunction.
Studies show that immune function often decreases with age, and recent research suggests this decrease is also related toHow can you protect your body during these troubling times?
READ MORECoronavirus named: What does COVID-19 stand for? Coronavirus name meaning
Dr Jacek Hawiger, researcher at Vanderbilt University, who studies the evolving paradigms of inflammation for threeLike the Allies during World War II, we want to intercept the code and change it to our benefit.
"Inflammations arsenal is packed with powerful weapons. Inflammation is the bodys response to microbial, autoimmune, metabolic or physical insults.
"White blood cells, including granulocytes and macrophages are the first responders to sites of infections and injury.
"They emit waves of chemicals that can kill germs outright and protein messengers called cytokines to carry out a bewilderingly wide array of duties. When these weapons misfire, however, they can wreak havoc.
An anti-inflammatory diet is widely regarded as healthy, so even if it doesnt help with a condition, it can help lower the chances of having other problems.
Anti-inflammatory foods are those that any mainstream expert would encourage you to eat.
They include lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, plant-based proteins, fatty fish and fresh herbs and spices.
Anything which is highly processed, overly greasy, or super sweet isnt a good choice when it comes to choosing the best kinds of foods to not only nourish the body but protect it from foreign invaders.
Dr Michael Barnish, head of nutrition and genetics at REVIVsaid: Vitamin D deficiency has become a modern problem. The reasons are due to poorer diets, sunscreen use during the day, avoiding the sun and spending most of our lives indoors, to name a few.
"It is extremely important for normal immune function and you should try to up your intake of eggs, mushrooms and oily fish.
"Also try and go for a walk if you can, not only will you get a dose of this sunshine vitamin but even a small amount of exercise can boost your immunity.
There are numerous studies underway regarding the healing and preventative powers of mega doses of vitamin C.
Vitamin C is an important immune system player and powerful antioxidant. Eating fresh organic fruit and vegetables containing vitamin C obviously helps but to really boost immunity think about taking a supplement.
"Many clinics around the world now offer intravenous vitamin C, to utilise much higher concentrations, very safely, to bypass gut bioavailability, flooding the bloodstream with this powerful antioxidant.
"In terms of antioxidants, these are essential for our bodies to neutralise toxins and to keep ourselves fighting fit. Consider taking an antioxidant supplement and eat foods high in beta-carotene, selenium and lycopene such as carrots, tomatoes, spinach, apricots, lean meat and watermelon.
"Electrolytes are also highly beneficial. They are tiny charged particles which are responsible for so many processes in the body.
"They are essential for normal functioning of the immune system and an imbalance which can leave us vulnerable.
"You may want to consider taking a magnesium supplement or a restorative salts solution if you have recently been ill.
"And dont underestimate the power of a banana."
- Voices: COVID-19 and the concern of chronic disease in the church - Baptist Standard - July 7th, 2020
- #10 Tips to Stay Healthy During the Self-isolation Days of Covid19 - Entrepreneur - July 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Poll finds 81% of Canadians think Canada-U.S. border should stay closed - The Globe and Mail - July 7th, 2020
- Meat Industry Overfeeds Antibiotics to Cows, and We Get Sicker - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Two major cities are getting another grocery delivery option in the pandemic - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 7th, 2020
- HOW TO LIVE IN THE FACE OF FEAR - Manila Bulletin - July 6th, 2020
- Simple and Fastic Apps: Why Do I Keep Seeing Intermittent Fasting Ads on Social Media? - VICE UK - July 6th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Zimbabwe Daily - July 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Raw Broccoli? Benefits and Downsides - Healthline - July 4th, 2020
- Fish: Which Ones To Eat & Which Ones To Avoid During Pregnancy - BabyGaga - July 4th, 2020
- Fireworks Can Trigger PTSD. Heres How to Be Considerate While Celebrating July 4th at Home - EcoWatch - July 4th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Herald - July 4th, 2020
- Why You Should Bet Against Joey Chestnut In The Hot Dog Eating Contest - PlayUSA - July 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Confirmed cases in 40 states on the rise in the U.S. ahead of Fourth of July weekend - The Globe and Mail - July 4th, 2020
- Top Reasons Why Spinach Is One Of The Healthiest Leafy Greens - Doctor NDTV - July 3rd, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Part 1: How It Helps You Lose Weight and What are the Different Ways to Do It - News18 - July 3rd, 2020
- Six small things we're looking forward to on Super Saturday - Telegraph.co.uk - July 3rd, 2020
- Stop worrying about bread, nutritionists say the toppings you put on your carbs are more likely to influence - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- The COVID-19 threat is here for the foreseeable future. As cities reopen, protecting passengers on public tran - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Integrity is everything - The Bookseller - July 1st, 2020
- Wellbeing Wednesdays Podcast: What are the Social Determinants of Health? - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - July 1st, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - The Auto Channel - July 1st, 2020
- Kindness of others inspires woman to lose nine stone in just two years - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss here's what the research says - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman shrunk from a size 16 to a size 12 in lockdown following this easy diet - Express - June 30th, 2020
- 12 Tips For Fasting Diets - How To Do Intermittent Fasting ... - June 30th, 2020
- What's Chlorella? 10 Health Benefits, How to Use It & More - Greatist - June 30th, 2020
- Fans stunned by UFC legend Frankie Edgars body transformation as he shows off ripped physique with just 1 - talkSPORT.com - June 30th, 2020
- 5 precautions you should take when waxing your pubic hair, according to the doctor behind 'The Vagina Bible' - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Are you getting enough protein and fibre? - Australian Hospital + Healthcare Bulletin - June 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Air Canada cutting 30 domestic routes and closing operations at eight regional airports - The Globe and Mail - June 30th, 2020
- Nutrition for eye health - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - June 30th, 2020
- 'Our Time of Personal Responsibility': In Today's Media Availability, Public Health Officer Talks About California's Case Spike, COVID in Kids and... - June 30th, 2020
- Continuing the fascinating story of Bettys War as husband Harry returns safely - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 30th, 2020
- La Septima Caf Adapts With Family Meals And A Thriving To-Go Business - Osprey Observer - June 30th, 2020
- Dr Punam Krishan: Here are my tips on how to keep safe in the summer sun summer - Glasgow Times - June 30th, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - PerishableNews - June 30th, 2020
- How the explosive YouTube war between James Charles and Tati Westbrook brought the value of vitamin supplement - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Bomb squad raid in Bingley linked to toxic diet pill - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - June 30th, 2020
- Study: Women Are Less Attracted to Men Who Have Cats In Their Dating Profile Pics - Mental Floss - June 30th, 2020
- We Need A COVID Reality Check: An MD Shares His 5 Reasons Why - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- How To Safely Celebrate The Fourth Of July With Your Baby - BabyGaga - June 25th, 2020
- Feed higher levels of Irish cereals with XL Grain - Agriland - June 25th, 2020
- Vegetarianism: Tapping Into the Meatless Revolution - Visual Capitalist - June 25th, 2020
- Lotus Flower Plague-Repellent Pills and Other Gifts From China - The New York Times - June 25th, 2020
- Best educational toys for kids aged 1 to 5 - goodtoknow - June 25th, 2020
- Living with stones in my body - The Citizen - June 25th, 2020
- Is it safer to fly or drive? 5 health experts weigh in - IOL - June 21st, 2020
- Plant-based nutrition as an alternative to meat - Food Dive - June 21st, 2020
- The Military Diet: Lose 10 Pounds in Just 1 Week? - June 20th, 2020
- Great white shark diet surprises scientists - News - The University of Sydney - June 20th, 2020
- 30 Healthyish Sips, Snacks, And Sauces To Stock Up On This Summer - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Experts on what the health risks of flying on a plane right now are - Insider - INSIDER - June 20th, 2020
- Shock as children find python abandoned in woodland - The Northern Echo - June 20th, 2020
- How to Maximise your Performance, Recovery and Health by Optimising your Gut Health - BOXROX - June 20th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Rent an Airbnb or Vacation Home Right Now? - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting and exercise: How to do it safely - Medical News Today - June 11th, 2020
- Lifestyle: Easing back into the real world - Worcester Mag - June 11th, 2020
- How to Be Safe at Work - WTOP - June 11th, 2020
- Kokum could be that miracle food to help you burn those calories - Indulgexpress - June 11th, 2020
- Scientists Surprised When They Examine Stomach Contents of Great White Sharks and Find Out What They Really Eat - SciTechDaily - June 11th, 2020
- Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport: The Drivers Bugatti - SlashGear - June 11th, 2020
- Why I'm choosing to wear a bathing suit at home this summer - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 11th, 2020
- Cognizance into Peripheral Interventions Market and it's growth prospects - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Families who eat together have better eating habits - Free Malaysia Today - June 9th, 2020
- 5 reasons to add flaxseed to your diet - Arab News - June 9th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks unrecognisable in very slim throwback picture as she reveals battle with PCOS made her g - The Sun - June 9th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Treatments for Cancer - HealthCentral.com - June 9th, 2020
- It is a national scandal that children will soon be able to go to Thorpe Park, but not to school - Telegraph.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- World Food Safety Day: 10 tips to eat safely and healthily during the COVID-19 pandemic - Times Now - June 8th, 2020
- Lose your lockdown love handles in 14 days with this easy diet plan - Mirror Online - June 8th, 2020
- Food Not Bombs Marks 40th Anniversary, A Conversation With Local Co-Founder - 90.3 KAZU - June 8th, 2020
- How to Wash Fruits and Vegetables: A Complete Guide - EcoWatch - June 8th, 2020
- Chin up vs pull up: what's the difference, which muscles are worked and most importantly, WHAT IS THE BEST ONE? - T3 - June 8th, 2020
- Bananas with Milk: A Great Combination or Bad Idea? - Healthline - May 30th, 2020
- Most heated debate this week - should you eat peas for breakfast - Hertfordshire Mercury - May 30th, 2020
- RealEats Recognized by Partnership for a Healthier America as Improving Health and Wellness through Its Innovative "Fresh Meal" Product Line... - May 30th, 2020
- Week 9 of Jacqui and Jim Robbins' self-isolation diary for the Adver - Swindon Advertiser - May 30th, 2020
- Richmond inches toward opening its streets Greater Greater Washington - Greater Greater Washington - May 27th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis | Early Signs, Causes and Treatment - DrugWatch.com - May 27th, 2020