Convalescent plasmathe liquid portion of the blood obtained from COVID-19 survivorsis rich in antibodies that can fight the novel coronavirus.
Soon after the COVID-19 pandemic began in the United States, researchers started collecting plasma from survivors to transfuse into patients who were sick with the disease, in the hope that the antibodies would help those patients recover. But to get the chance to be treated with convalescent plasma, most patients had to enroll in a clinical trial.
In late August, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted an Emergency Use Authorization for convalescent plasma and now any hospitalized patient with COVID-19 can receive it with few, if any, restrictions.
At Columbia, transfusion medicine expertSteven Spitalnik, MD, professor of pathology & cell biology at Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, is participating in a prospective randomized clinical trialand other studiesof this treatment, which he says are still vital to conduct.
CUIMC News spoke with Spitalnik and his collaboratorJames Zimring, MD, PhD, professor of pathology at the University of Virginia School of Medicine, about the therapy.
JZ: Antibodies are known to play a role in fighting some viral illnesses, and many people who recover from COVID-19 have antibodies against the virus that causes the disease. The antibodies could be used to either prevent illness in people exposed to COVID-19 or treat those who are currently sick with the disease.
Its a very reasonable therapeutic approach to try; however, convalescent plasma therapy has worked for some types of infection, but not for others, so it must be rigorously tested before we know if it helps, harms, or has no effect.
SS: Without appropriately designed prospective trials, we do not know that it is effective, nor do we know that it does no harm.Even if it does work, we do not know much should be given, when it should be given, and what levels and types of antibodies are important.
To tell if convalescent plasma is effective, you need two groups of patients where the only difference between them is whether they receive convalescent plasma or placebo. Of course, all patients differ in multiple ways. To account for these differences, patients are randomly assigned to a therapy group or a placebo group. In addition, the nature of the placebo is relevant, because there are other components of plasma, besides antibodies, that may be beneficialor harmful; thus, we use non-COVID-19 plasma as the placebo control. Ideally, neither the patients nor the health care providers know which treatment they will receive to minimize the risk of bias and confounding.
SS: The problem is that outside of the controlled conditions of a randomized clinical trial, multiple variables are changing at the same time. These variables could make it look like convalescent plasma is working when it really isnt. For example, the doctors giving convalescent plasma might be more aggressive than some of their colleaguesand may also be giving additional treatments that could affect outcomes, for better or worse.
Conversely, convalescent plasma may appear to have no therapeutic value when it really is working. For example, in the hospital setting, doctors may only transfuse the sickest patients. These patients may do better after getting the therapy than they otherwise would have, but their outcomes may still be worse compared to less sick patients who didnt get convalescent plasma.
JZ: Time and again, the history of medicine offers examples of mistakes in disease treatment because of the lack of randomized controlled trials.
Perhaps the most famous example was the use of hormone replacement therapy to decrease the risk of heart disease in postmenopausal women. It made sense that if physicians replaced the hormones women lose during menopause, the risk of heart disease should decrease to premenopausal levels. Indeed, women treated with hormone replacement therapy seemed to have lower rates of heart disease, and the treatment became widely used.
Out of an abundance of caution, large randomized trials were performed anyway, and the finding was shocking: Hormone replacement therapy was found to either have no effect or increase risk of heart disease. How could this be?
The answer is that, in an uncontrolled setting, women who used hormone replacement therapy tended to be more proactive in their health care and engaged in other lifestyle practices that decreased risk of heart disease. So the benefit was derived from these other behaviors, not the hormone replacement therapy. Indeed, the benefits from these behaviors offset the detrimental effects of hormone replacement therapy, hiding the harm that was being done.
Without the rigor of randomized controlled trials, we would still be giving postmenopausal women a therapy that likely caused them harm.
What if convalescent plasma not only has no benefit, but also causes harm, as was observed with hydroxychloroquine? In that case, not only would we make things worse, but we would never know we had done so.
SS: If you were in a hospital with COVID-19 and were given a choice between getting FDA-authorized convalescent plasma or enrolling in a trial where you might be randomized to receive either the treatment or a placebo, what would you choose?
Emergency Use Authorization may severely inhibit the ability of rigorous scientific trials to be performed and completed in the United States, because patients will no longer enroll in them in sufficient numbers, if at all. This would prevent us from ever really knowing if convalescent plasma is effectiveand, if so, determining the best way to use it.
JZ: Among the great benefits that medical research has provided to patients over the last century is the ability to tell if therapies actually work and how to use them if they do. By jumping the gun on prescribing a treatment before we have sufficient information, we are likely to do more harm to patients, and at a massive scale, than will be done by waiting a little longer for ongoing clinical trials to be completed.
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 20202026 Zion Market Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2019 Services, Demand, Size, Growth Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players &... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Keyplayer Like:Eli Lilly, Pfizer, AbbVie, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Weekly... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors F. Hoffmann-La Roche,... - September 28th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- New Detailed Information: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market By Global Trends, Business Growth, And Forecasts 2026 | Covid19 Impact Analysis | Key... - September 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market has Huge Impact in Industry 2020 2026 - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Receives $0.9 million Under the Current Grant - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2020
- Early menopause puts women at 'significantly' higher risk of depression, study finds - TheSpec.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Bethel Citizen - September 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market-Segment Market Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2019 2023 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Dyspareunia: What Causes Pain During Sex and How Can it Be Prevented? - News18 - September 18th, 2020
- Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 18th, 2020
- Isle of Wight author calling on NHS to offer 'pain-free' cancer treatment option - Isle of Wight County Press - September 18th, 2020
- Dr. Roach: Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Detroit News - September 15th, 2020
- Assessing the COVID-19 Effect: Hormone Replacement Therapy Production Moderately Disrupted by Labor Shortages of Labor in Pandemic, Says Fact.MR - The... - September 15th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis Of Top Players And Forecasts |Abbott... - September 15th, 2020
- The Chronicle of the Horse - The Chronicle of the Horse - September 15th, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - Hays Daily News - September 12th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing and Contract Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - The Market Chronicles - September 12th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Report Contains Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain, Analysis and Forecast to 2020-2025 -... - September 12th, 2020
- The office is still in the closet - Bangalore Mirror - September 12th, 2020
- Shannon Medical Center offers new option for hormone replacement therapy - Standard-Times - September 11th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Industry Development Scenario and Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Trends, Regulations and Competitive Landscape Outlook to 2018 to 2028 - The Market Chronicles - September 11th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Update Know Whose Market Share Is Getting Bigger And Bigger - Owned - September 11th, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Growth to be Fuelled by 2019-2026 - StartupNG - September 11th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Projected to Grow at Steady Rate through 2017 to 2026 - Daily Research Chronicle - September 11th, 2020
- Rapid Increase in End-use Adoption to Boost Breast Tissue Markers Market Revenue Growth - Lake Shore Gazette - September 11th, 2020
- Transitioning behind bars: Nothing less than torture! - Workers World - September 8th, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Announces Participation in Two Upcoming Virtual Conferences - GlobeNewswire - September 8th, 2020
- Can soybean milk prevent breast cancer? - The Star Online - September 8th, 2020
- Cervical, ovarian and three other types of gynaecolo..that affect women; timely screening key for prevention - Firstpost - September 8th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Industry Development Scenario and Forecast to 2027 - Bulletin Line - September 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Analysis & Technological Innovation by Leading Key Players - AlgosOnline - September 7th, 2020
- Meet the women challenging the menopause taboo - SBS News - September 7th, 2020
- Potential impact of Covid-19 on Hormone Therapy Market Growth and Demand, Concludes Fact.MR - Scientect - September 7th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Estriol Market based on types and application - AlgosOnline - September 7th, 2020
- Creativity And Endocrine System: Is There a Connection - 2020 Guide - VideoInk - September 7th, 2020
- Workplaces are still in the closet - Mumbai Mirror - September 7th, 2020
- Marijuana Vaporizer Industry Market SWOT Analysis of Top Key Player & Forecasts To 2026 - The News Brok - September 7th, 2020
- Ovarian Cancer: What are the symptoms and risk factors? - Monitor - September 3rd, 2020
- 'They stripped me of everything': Transgender woman jailed with men, sues sheriff's office - WTSP.com - September 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market SWOT Analysis by Outline from 2020-2027 - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Market Analysis and Technological Opportunities of Hormone Replacement Therapy Market till 2063 - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Competitive Intelligence and Tracking Report 2017 to 2026 - The Scarlet - September 3rd, 2020
- Uterine Fibroid Diagnostics and Therapeutics Market Key Insights, Profiling Companies and Growth Strategies - The News Brok - September 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Industry Trends Adopted by the... - September 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Size, Share, Trends, Growth, Forecast Analysis Report 2020 By Product, By Application, By Segment, By Region ... - September 1st, 2020
- Dar Bioscience and Avomeen Form Strategic Partnership to Accelerate the Development of Dar's Novel Pipeline of Women's Health Programs - GlobeNewswire - September 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020-2029 / Growth, Emerging Trends And Forecast - The News Brok - September 1st, 2020
- Davina McCall on Her Life After Menopause & Why She's Feeling More Confident Than Ever - Women's Health - September 1st, 2020
- Further coronavirus heart impact discovered; new clues to why women fare better than men - KDAL News - September 1st, 2020
- Davina McCall on Her Life & Sex After Menopause Why She's Feeling More Confident Than Ever - Yahoo Lifestyle UK - September 1st, 2020
- Title IX: Is it time for adjustments to the law - NGSC Sports LLC - September 1st, 2020
- Investments in Innovation to Ovarian Cancer Market between 2015 and 2021 - Bulletin Line - September 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Market Size Forecast 2020-2026 Made Available by Top Research Firm - AlgosOnline - August 20th, 2020
- High blood pressure in pregnancy linked with 'more bothersome' hot flashes during menopause - jacksonprogress-argus - August 20th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global and United States Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020-2026 | Abbott Laboratories, Novartis, Pfizer - The... - August 20th, 2020
- Global Orphan Drug Market Industry Forecast 2020-2026|Slated to Witness Tremendous Growth By AbbVie, AstraZeneca, Baxter, Eli Lilly and Company,... - August 20th, 2020
- PODCAST: The Broken Rainbow: Transwomen with no safe healthcare -EP2 - EWN - August 20th, 2020
- UK teenager going through menopause at 15 finds out she can't have kids - 7NEWS.com.au - August 20th, 2020
- Helping Transgender Patients Reap the Benefits & Navigate the Challenges of Hormone Therapy - NYU Langone Health - August 15th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global COVID-19 Impact, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - August 15th, 2020
- Trending: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Size, Analytical Overview, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends and Forecast to 2026 | Abbott... - August 15th, 2020
- What People Taking Birth Control Should Know About COVID-19 and Blood Clots - Self - August 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Status And Forecast 2020-2026 - Galus Australis - August 15th, 2020
- Changes in six domains of cognitive function with reproductive and chronological ageing and sex hormones: a longitudinal study in 2411 UK mid-life... - August 15th, 2020
- Fearmongering Headlines About COVID-19 and Birth Control Don't Tell the Whole Story - Rewire.News - August 15th, 2020
- Takano 'aghast' at proposed UC affiliation with restrictive Catholic hospitals - Los Angeles Blade - August 15th, 2020
- After fears it would close, Truro Sexual Health Centre to remain open - Yahoo News Canada - August 15th, 2020
- Obesity And The Big C Understanding The Link - Modern Ghana - August 15th, 2020
- An exploration of factors affecting the quality of life of women with primary ovarian insufficiency: a qualitative study - BMC Blogs Network - August 11th, 2020
- Your contraceptive pill may be protecting you against the coronavirus, according to a study - Health24 - August 11th, 2020
- My friend shared what it was like to be pregnant as a transgender man in the Deep South - Upworthy - August 11th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Projected to Witness a Measurable Downturn; COVID-19 Outbr - PharmiWeb.com - August 11th, 2020
- HGH Combined With Alendronate Can Lower the Risk of Bone Fractures in Patients With Osteoporosis - Gilmore Health News - July 30th, 2020
- Global Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Insights Report 2020-2026 with COVID-19 Pandemic Analysis & New Business Solutions ... - July 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Kolkatas trans community has been locked out of healthcare and livelihood - Scroll.in - July 30th, 2020
- Teen boy forced to transition in juvenile hall in California - The Post Millennial - July 30th, 2020