Have you been wondering why your efforts to lose weight have no effect at all? Have you tried almost all kinds of weight loss trends, diets, and pills but still putting on the pounds? Maybe its time to take a step back and think about it because the reason why youre not losing weight may be because of an underlying health condition.
A person is considered overweight if he or she has a body mass index (BMI) of 25 to 29 and the usual reasons why youre overweight are the following:
However, the cause of your weight problem may lie beyond those mentioned above. Here are some health problems that may be the reason why youre overweight now.
This is a type of mental illness wherein a person has changeable moods, sleep patterns, thinking, and behavior. The disorder is classified into various types and usually triggered by hormonal problems, abuse, traumatic events, and mental stress. A bipolar person goes through periods of depression that leads them to overeat and gain excessive weight. Recommended treatment includes therapy and medication.
A person with GAD constantly worries about various things and is unable to control it. Symptoms may include palpitations, unable to sleep and unable to concentrate. Women are the ones mostly affected by the disorder and the causes may include childhood abuse, excessive tobacco or caffeine use, stress, and a history of anxiety within the family.
The stress and tension felt by persons with GAD increase cortisol levels resulting in heightened food cravings. The recommended treatment includes medication and cognitive behavioral therapy.
Persons with hypothyroidism experience slow metabolism since the thyroid gland is unable to produce thyroid hormones. Its symptoms include weight gain, dry and itchy skin, hair loss, muscle or joint pain, constant tiredness, feeling depressed and unable to concentrate. The most common treatment for this condition includes radiation therapy, medication and surgical removal of the thyroid.
IBS is characterized by bloating, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea and/or constipation, and gas. A person with IBS may experience days when they dont feel the symptoms and may tend to overeat resulting in weight gain. The usual treatment may include medication, counseling, exercise, the use of a natural appetite depressant, and the consumption of high-fiber food like fruits and vegetables.
Dysthymia is a chronic form of depression that may linger for years. The most common symptoms may include sadness, tiredness, loss of interest in daily events, low self-esteem, difficulty in making decisions, irritable, always angry, inability to sleep well, poor appetite or overeating, feelings of guilt and avoidance of any social activity.
The known causes are due to inherited traits or may be due to traumatic life events like financial burdens, loss of a loved one or increased levels of stress. The recommended treatment for the disorder includes medication and psychotherapy.
Women experience menopause when they reach the ages between 45 and 50 years old. During this time their menstrual period stops and the ovaries cease producing the estrogen and progesterone hormones. Unfortunately, some symptoms accompany this condition which may include hot flashes or night sweats, mood swings, vaginal dryness, hair loss, osteoporosis, and insomnia.
Also, because of the hormonal changes, women tend to gain weight, especially in the abdomen area. To alleviate the dire effects, its advisable to maintain a balanced diet, get a healthy lifestyle and pursue physical exercise.
Women are diagnosed with this condition during pregnancy and experience high blood sugar levels, which endanger their health as well as their baby. The usual symptoms include the constant urge to urinate and unexplained bouts of hunger or thirst which could lead to excessive weight gain. The condition usually disappears after childbirth and symptoms can be managed by eating the right food and staying active during pregnancy by going on walks, swimming or taking yoga lessons.
Women who have PCOS experience a hormonal imbalance wherein there is an overproduction of androgen or male hormones. The symptoms include excessive hair growth, irregular menstrual periods, hair loss, acne, ovarian cyst growth, depression, acne, and weight gain. The recommended treatment for PCOS includes medication, lifestyle changes, and eating a balanced diet. You can treat PCOS naturally by following these diet changes:
This digestive disorder affects people of all ages, from infants to the elderly. It is characterized by the backing up of acidic stomach juices, food, and fluids from the stomach to the esophagus as the disorder causes muscles between these organs to relax. The usual symptoms include heartburn, tooth erosion, chest pain, difficulty in swallowing food, regurgitation, and belching.
Affected persons tend to overeat to relieve pain and reduce the effects of GERD resulting in excessive weight gain. Medication, as well as lifestyle and diet change, are the known remedies of the disorder.
This autoimmune disorder got its name from the Japanese physician, Hakaru Hashimoto, who was the first to describe its symptoms. The disease attacks the thyroid causing it to be underactive. It is also called autoimmune thyroiditis and the symptoms include thinning hair, lower body muscle weakness, weight gain, constipation, puffy face, fatigue, and difficulty in getting pregnant. These are just some of the causes of the disease:
Treatment is usually medication meant to restore the bodys metabolism and regulate hormone levels.
This condition occurs when the body has high levels of cortisol, a steroid hormone that helps the body to handle stress and regulates processes like metabolism and immune response.
The common symptoms include pinkish or purple stretch marks, a rounded face, humps between the shoulders, acne, weight gain, thinning skin thats more prone to bruises, irregular menstrual period, erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, depression, muscle weakness, fatigue, high blood pressure, loss of emotional control, increased skin pigmentation, and headache. The recommended treatment is medication to stabilize cortisol levels as well as lifestyle and diet changes. Here are some tips to naturally lower cortisol levels:
This chronic progressive disorder is characterized by fluid buildup around the heart, resulting in irregular pumping, specifically in the left ventricle. CHF endangers lives because once the ventricles fail to pump adequately, blood and other fluids can go to the lungs, liver, abdomen and the lower body. The early signs of CHF include weight gain, the constant urge to urinate, fatigue and swelling in the ankles, legs, and feet. However, the following warning signs are indications that your condition has reached a severe stage:
Various tests help diagnose CHF and these are the following:
The recommended treatment for CHF includes medication and surgeries like angioplasty.
This is a benign tumor in the pituitary glands that overproduces prolactin, a hormone responsible for the production of breast milk for women and also helps regulate the immune system and influence behavior. The symptoms of prolactinoma include the following:
The recommended treatment for the condition is medication and diet changes and to lower prolactin levels naturally, you should increase the intake of Vitamin B6 and Vitamin E and eat food such as bananas, apples, pumpkins, and strawberries.
Being overweight is not considered healthy and ideal regardless of age and gender because countless health risks go with it. Just some of these health risks include the following:
A condition wherein the pressure of your blood which is pumped through the arteries is higher than usual. Also called hypertension, it is considered as a silent killer since it usually has no warning symptoms and most people dont easily realize that they already have it.
A chronic medical condition characterized by glucose builds up in your bloodstream. The bodys cells are unable to respond to insulin, which is supposed to help move the glucose from the blood to the cells. Symptoms of the condition include the following: fatigue, always hungry and thirsty, itchy skin, and blurry vision. When the condition becomes severe youll experience yeast infections, dark skin patches, foot pain, numbness in the extremities and slow-healing sores and wounds.
This condition happens when the brains blood supply is suddenly interrupted. The usual causes include blockage of arteries in the brain or ischemic stroke and bleeding in the brain tissue due to a burst blood vessel or hemorrhagic stroke. The warning signs of a stroke include the following: sudden garbled speech or difficulty in speaking, abrupt vision problem in one or both eyes, loss of balance, dizziness and severe headaches.
A condition characterized by blocking blood vessels which could lead to a heart attack and other heart disorders. The usual symptoms include shortness of breath, sweating, chest pain, nausea, and irregular heartbeat.
This disease is characterized by abnormal cell growth that can spread and destroy various parts of the body. Early signs include lumps and changes in the skins color while the common causes include tobacco, smoking, radiation exposure, viruses, and infections.
Your kidneys become damaged when you have the disease and means that the kidneys are no longer able to filter blood as they used to be. Common signs include difficulty in sleeping, dry and itchy skin, puffiness under the eyes, and frequent urination.
Aside from the health risks, you also bear emotional struggles and you become judged as a person. These are just some of the disadvantages that come with being overweight:
Having a healthy lifestyle and eating the right food is essential to keep your weight at a normal level. When you are overweight, countless health risks come with it and the more reason to worry if there are underlying health problems that cause you to have the condition. Its important to identify these health perils so that ample treatment shall be given accordingly.
See the original post:
Common Health Problems Causing You to be Overweight - The Leader Newspaper Online
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020