If youve been diagnosed with diabetes you should be aware of the importance of your health checks to prevent common foot problems for diabetic people, that can range from minor to needing amputation in severe cases.
Whether this be the daily blood sugar checks you should be doing at home or the regular GP clinics you should be attending, it all goes a long way to ensuring youre living in the healthiest manner possible.
Something you might not think about as regularly as your blood sugar levels is your feet. Several different kinds of foots problems regularly occur in individuals with diabetes. You should be making sure to check your feet daily and attend foot clinics too.
If you have diabetes mellitus (type 1 or type 2), it is especially important to take good care of your feet.
One of the complications that can arise from poorly controlled blood sugar levels is a reduced efficiency of blood flow throughout the body. As your feet are about as far away from your heart as its possible to get, theyre most vulnerable to damage from lack of efficient blood flow.
Diabetic nerve damage is another major complication that you need to keep an eye out for. It follows logic that if you cant feel your feet, you may have problems walking properly, and youre more likely to suffer from worse cuts, blisters and ulcers. Pain exists to warn you theres something wrong not feeling it puts you at a disadvantage!
The two main foot problems involved in people with Type 2 Diabetes that cause frequent issues are:
This refers to the narrowing and/or occlusion of blood vessels by the build up of atherosclerotic plaques. This is commonly known as hardening of the arteries. As the arteries become stiff, this impacts healthy blood flow through the body, and the body needs oxygenated blood to survive.
Diabetes is a well-known risk factor for this vascular condition. Signs and symptoms of PAD related back to the decreased oxygen delivery to the lower legs and feet. Pain in the calves during exercise is commonly experienced, and in severe cases tissue death can start to occur.
This refers to damage to the peripheral nerves as a direct result of diabetes and uncontrolled blood sugar. Symptoms of neuropathy include decreased sensation in the peripheries (especially the legs and feet), making it more difficult to perceive injuries.
Peripheral neuropathy can also cause pain, tingling or burning sensations in the involved areas. In worse cases, the muscles of the feet can also be caused to work improperly, leading to misalignment of the foot, and excessive pressure being placed on certain areas of the foot, leading to pain or difficulty walking.
In severe cases, due to the combination of decreased sensation and reduced blood flow to the feet, ulcers might develop.
Other foot problems commonly seen in those with diabetes are:
None of these conditions are specific to diabetes, but all increase in likelihood due to it.
In the case your tissues continue to receive insufficient oxygen and nutrients, tissue death (also known as gangrene) can start to occur.
Gangrene is a serious condition where the tissue begins to die and can be potentially life threatening in poorly managed cases. Gangrene cannot be reversed once it has begun, but treatments are available to prevent dry gangrene from spreading or becoming infected.
Once gangrene becomes infected it is termed as wet gangrene and is much more concerning. Infection in this dead tissue can easily spread to the healthy tissues beneath the skin (cellulitis), the bone (osteomyelitis), and the bloodstream (sepsis).
Surgical removal of the dead tissue is often recommended or required in the case of gangrene developing, in severe cases, this could involve amputation of the affected foot, or limb.
Many diabetes-related foot problems can be prevented through proper control and monitoring of blood sugar levels combined with appropriate care and daily checks of your own feet.
Amanda Roberts is health writer for Nutrition Inspector
Ken Weiss is a health blogger who is passionate about natural and holistic cures for mens health issues. He is the founder of menshealthcures.com
- Men hate going to the doctor and that could lead to bigger health problems - WRAL.com - December 10th, 2019
- Andrew Luck and Jason Kander Show How the Strength Myth Crumbles - menshealth.com - December 8th, 2019
- Cast Your Vote Now For The MH People's Choice Cover - Men's Health - December 3rd, 2019
- Why James Smith Is The "Gordon Ramsay Of The Fitness World" - Men's Health - December 3rd, 2019
- Sports clubs take part in Movember in aid of mens' health - ForgeToday - December 3rd, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 29th, 2019
- Men's Health Therapeutics Market to Receive Overwhelming Hike in Revenues by 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 29th, 2019
- Focus on mens health: Five things you need to know - WAFF - November 28th, 2019
- 12 of the Best Men's Joggers That You Can Wear (Almost) Anywhere - Men's health UK - November 28th, 2019
- Movember: a month dedicated to men's health - Brock Press - November 28th, 2019
- Fitness corner: In November, my thoughts turn to men's health - My Edmonds News - November 22nd, 2019
- Fit To Me T-Shirts Designed for Trans Men Were Created to Crush Body Insecurities - Men's Health - November 22nd, 2019
- Henry Cavill Shows Off 'The Witcher' Poster and Men's Health Images - Cosmic Book News - November 22nd, 2019
- Mens health: Secrets to healthy ageing and longevity for Malaysians - Malay Mail - November 22nd, 2019
- Loowit to host pinball tournament for a good cause - The Columbian - November 22nd, 2019
- Movember and No Shave November Bring Awareness on Mens Health - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - November 20th, 2019
- Movember is All About Mens Health! - WesternSlopeNow - November 20th, 2019
- OPINION: Movember is about men's health, not your beard - The Daily Evergreen - November 20th, 2019
- Movember Monday: Mens heart health, minority health - WOODTV.com - November 20th, 2019
- New Jersey Mens Health | RWJBarnabas Health - March 12th, 2019
- Mens Health Magazine on the App Store - itunes.apple.com - November 18th, 2018
- Mens Health Month: Never too busy to focus on wellness ... - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health Month Calendar - Week 1 - SoClean - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health | womenshealth.gov - March 26th, 2018
- Men's Fitness Books - Men's Health Books - Men's Health - November 6th, 2017
- Here's How You Can Get as Ripped as Chris Hemsworth, According to His Trainer - Men's Health - September 6th, 2017
- How High Doses Of Ibuprofen Can Mess With Muscle Growth ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- How Apple Engineered Its Watch to Push You to Perform at Your ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- 50% Of Guys Couldn't Find the Vagina On This Diagram - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- First-Time Dads Are Getting OlderBut Are There Risks? - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Here's How Oral Sex Can Give You Cancer - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Try This Workout Finisher From 2016 Ultimate Men's Health Guy Jedidiah Ballard - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- How Long Can Sperm Live Outside The Body? This Viral Tweet Has Everyone Wondering - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Amazon Just Made Your Erections 43% Cheaper - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- Can You Do This Explosive Lunge Variation? - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- How to Make a Woman Orgasm | Men's Health - Men's Health - August 26th, 2017
- Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: I Love the CrossFit Games But Am Worried Everyone's Doping - Men's Health - August 26th, 2017
- Men's Health Unveils Fresh Look and New Direction - Rodale Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Hate Cardio? Make This Small Tweak to Your Routine - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Our Ultimate Guy Search Finalists Are the #MondayMotivation You Didn't Know You Needed - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Mens Health Network - August 20th, 2017
- Meet the Woman Who Is Always on the Verge of an Orgasm - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- People Who Have Cheated Once Are More Likely to Cheat Again, Says New Study - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- 34% Of Men Are Still Making This Big Mistake In Bed - Men's Health - August 12th, 2017
- These Are 50 Foolproof Ways to Make a Woman Orgasm. Yes, Really - Men's Health - August 12th, 2017
- Surgery For Early Prostate Cancer Might Not Save Your Life - Men's Health - August 9th, 2017
- This One Exercise Will Add Weight To Your Squat, Deadlift, and Olympic Lifts - Men's Health - August 6th, 2017
- How 9 People Transformed Their Bodies With This 8-Week Fitness Challenge - Men's Health - August 6th, 2017
- How Men's Health is upping its video output without breaking the bank - Digiday - August 3rd, 2017
- Your Penis Problems Might Be Signaling Parkinson's Disease - Men's Health - August 3rd, 2017
- The Mediterranean Diet Can Help Your Heartbut Only If You're Rich - Men's Health - August 1st, 2017
- This Rugged Maniac Race is Not for the Meek or Weak - Men's Health - August 1st, 2017
- Can Broccoli and Cauliflower Really Kill Cancer? - Men's Health - July 31st, 2017
- Here's How Many Women Are Actually Having Anal Sex - Men's Health - July 31st, 2017
- What Can Happen When Men Open Themselves Up to Prioritizing Their Health - The Good Men Project (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Why Your Sperm Count May Be Lower Than You Think - Men's Health - July 31st, 2017
- Doctors Drive to Promote Men's Health Prevention - Wheeling Intelligencer - July 6th, 2017
- Tennessee Celebrates Men's Health in June - williamsonsource.com - June 27th, 2017
- Urologist holds men's health seminar - The Dispatch - Lexington Dispatch - June 27th, 2017
- June is Men's Health Month - Midland Daily News - Midland Daily News - June 24th, 2017
- Men's health fair returns to Phoebe this Saturday - WFXL FOX 31 - June 13th, 2017
- Men's Health Week - ABC Action News - June 13th, 2017
- Statement from President Donald J. Trump on Men's Health Week - The White House (blog) - June 13th, 2017
- Men's Health Checklist for Every Age - Consumer Reports - ConsumerReports.org - June 13th, 2017
- Mens Health Products - Men's Health Shop - Men's Health - June 8th, 2017
- Men's health - Wikipedia - June 8th, 2017
- Tennova gives prostate wellness reminder for Men's Health Month - WATE 6 On Your Side - June 5th, 2017
- A Q&A with the recently-named Creative Director, Mike Schnaidt. - Minonline - June 5th, 2017
- St. Rita's health focus: - Lima Ohio - May 30th, 2017
- Men's Health Clinic Singapore | Men's Health - April 1st, 2017
- Lessons on Male Insecurity (and Indigestion) from Walt Whitman's Men's-Health Column - The New Yorker - March 22nd, 2017
- Men's health takes centre stage - Jamaica Observer - March 12th, 2017
- Troy reception to draw attention to men's health - The Oakland Press - February 23rd, 2017
- 'Men's Health' Releases "MetaShred Extreme" Workout DVD - MediaPost Communications - February 20th, 2017
- Get ready for NCB Insurance men's health week - Jamaica Observer - February 19th, 2017
- Men's Health - Rodale Inc - January 9th, 2017
- Rugged Maniac - Powered by Men's Health - November 25th, 2016
- Men's health | healthdirect - November 18th, 2016
- Meet Our Team - Men's Health Boston - October 14th, 2016
- Men's Health Magazine Subscription Discount | Magazines.com - October 8th, 2016