Estimates suggest that every year in India, more than 1,22,000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer and over 67,000 of these patients die
There is a lack of awareness in the world when it comes to gynaecological cancers. Since many womens issues, like menstruation, are considered to be taboo in certain societies, the symptoms of gynaecological cancers often go under the radar. Most of these cancers are preventable and can be treated if diagnosed early.
However, a majority of women in India do not have much knowledge about these cancers. Lack of access to healthcare facilities and the absence of a comprehensive screening programme further affects the prognosis as most women get diagnosed at a much more advanced stage of cancer.
Gynaecological cancers affect the reproductive organs in womenand are five different types - cervical, vaginal, ovarian, uterine and vulvar. Out of these, ovarian and cervical cancers are more common than the rest. Estimates suggest that every year in India, more than 1,22,000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer and over 67,000 of these patients die.
In US, the month of September is observed as Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month. But women in every part of the world need to know the signs and symptoms of the types of cancers.
Here is all you need to know about the five different types of gynaecological cancers:
1. Cervical cancer
Cervical cancer begins in the cervix, which is the narrow opening that connects the uterus and the vagina. It is the second most common type of cancer and a leading cause of death in women in developed countries.
Cause: About 91 percent of all cases of cervical cancer occur due to a human papillomavirus (HPV) infection. Multiple pregnancies, obesity, lower socioeconomic status, malnutrition, multiple sexual partners and being sexually active at an early age are some risk factors for cervical cancer.
Symptoms: The symptoms of cervical cancer do not appear until the cancer affects nearby tissues. After this, women experience abnormal bleeding, which could be post-sex, between menstruation, or after menopause. Pelvic pain, foul-smelling vaginal discharge, blood in urine and faecal and urinary incontinence are some signs of cervical cancer.
2. Ovarian cancer
Ovarian cancer is the third most common gynaecological cancer in women and is responsible for most of the deaths that occur due to gynaecological cancers in the world. It is estimated that about 1,90,000 new cases of ovarian cancer are diagnosed worldwide every year.
Risk factors: Older age (above 50 years), a family history of ovarian cancer, endometriosis, obesity, smoking and hormone replacement therapy are some of the risk factors of ovarian cancer.
Symptoms: Just like cervical cancer, symptoms of ovarian cancer do not show until the cancer has advanced significantly. Abdominal pain and bloating, nausea, a heavy feeling in the pelvis, irregular menstruation, weight loss, unexplained back pain that worsens over time are some symptoms of ovarian cancer.
3. Vaginal cancer
Vaginal cancer only accounts for about 1-2 percent of all gynaecological cancers and is particularly rare. It is mostly diagnosed in women when they are above the age of 60.
Risk factors: HPV or HIV infection, multiple pregnancies, another gynaecological cancer, smoking and previous exposure to radiation therapy are some risk factors for vaginal cancer.
Symptoms: Abnormal vaginal bleeding, which could be after sex, between menstruation or after menopause, pelvic pain, painful urination and pain during sex are some symptoms of vaginal cancer.
4. Vulvar cancer
Vulvar cancer mainly affects the outer genital organs in women. It is also a rare type of gynaecological cancer that is seen in about 1 to 3 women per 1,00,000 in the world.
Risk factors: Vulvar cancer is most commonly seen in postmenopausal women between the age of 60 and 70. HPV infection, obesity, diabetes, cervical cancer and high blood pressure are some risk factors for vulvar cancer.
Symptoms: Vulvar cancer symptoms show up in the later stages of the disease and include the presence of a wart or lump on the vulva, pain and itching in the vulvar region, painful urination, bleeding and reddish and raised patches on the vulva.
5. Uterine cancer
Uterine cancer begins anywhere in the uterus, however, most commonly, it begins in the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus.
Risk factor: Older age (more than 50 years of age), obesity, infertility, early menopause, family history of uterine cancer and diabetes are some risk factors for uterine cancer.
Symptoms: Vaginal bleeding (even after menopause), painful sex, difficulty urinating and pelvic pain are some symptoms of uterine cancer.
Prevention and screening
Being aware of the symptoms of various types of gynaecological cancer is the first step towards catching these cancers early. A healthy diet and lifestyle may reduce some of the risk factors for most types of gynaecological cancers.
Early screening, especially if you are at high risk can help identify the cancer before you start to show symptoms. Pap smears are recommended to be done every three years for women between the age of 21 and 29 and every five years after the age of 30 to identify cervical cancer.
Similarly, HPV (which is a risk factor) can be prevented by timely immunisation. You can get the vaccine as early as nine years, though it is mostly given between ages 11 and 12 and until 26 years of age. The vaccine is currently not recommended for those above the age of 26.
For more information, read our article on Cervical cancer.
Health articles in Firstpost are written by myUpchar.com, Indias first and biggest resource for verified medical information. At myUpchar, researchers and journalists work with doctors to bring you information on all things health.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
- Impact of COVID-19 Crisis on Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand and Consumption Growth, Predicts Fact.MR - The Cloud Tribune - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Comprehensive Growth by 2017 to 2026 - The Think Curiouser - October 25th, 2020
- Thoughts of Breast Health in Breast Cancer Awareness Month - Yahoo Singapore News - October 25th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2020 Determined By Manufacturing Summary, Business Profile And Estimate To 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Demand (2020-2026) | Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies |... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market anticipates revenue will hit up to XX% CAGR by 2026: Segmentation by Revenue, Gross margin, Industrial Analysis,... - October 21st, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market By Manufacturers, Development Strategy, Upcoming Trends and Huge Growth By 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 21st, 2020
- Hammerling-Hodgers: Don't delay if you have any signs of breast cancer - Florida Today - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Exponential Growth by 2018 to 2028 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Exclusive Interview with Dr. Zainab Mogul-Ashraf (Dr. Z) of Hebe Medical Spa - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 21st, 2020
- Women's Health Diagnostics Market projected to expand at a CAGR of ~6% from 2019 to 2027 - The Think Curiouser - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 Global Analysis By Application, End-User, Market Share, Demand, Supply, Technological Trends And Forecast Till... - October 21st, 2020
- US Food and Drug Administration Accepts for Priority Review Applications for OPDIVO (nivolumab) in Combination with CABOMETYX (cabozantinib) in... - October 21st, 2020
- DSEJ organises Webinar on Breast Cancer Disease- Early Detection Saves Lives - India Education Diary - October 21st, 2020
- Having Large Testicles May be linked to Cardiovascular Disease Italian Study Shows - Gilmore Health News - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Exclusive Report Analysis 2020-2025 - Aerospace Journal - October 21st, 2020
- Anti-Osteoporosis Therapy And Fracture Healing Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Novartis, Johnson and Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Roche... - October 21st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Conclusions|Business Plans|Strategies with Forecast 20 - PharmiWeb.com - October 17th, 2020
- Davina McCall spoke candidly about her experience of perimenopause and HRT on Loose Women - goodhousekeeping.com - October 17th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Report 2019 with Key Players, Regions, Trends, Market Growth, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - PRnews Leader - October 17th, 2020
- Schedule Your Breast Cancer Screening this Month - raccoonvalleyradio.com - October 17th, 2020
- World Menopause Day: 5 must have products to cure hormonal imbalance - India Today - October 17th, 2020
- Earlier pubertal timing predicts higher psychosexuality in adulthood - PsyPost - October 17th, 2020
- The News Journal 5 things you can start doing now to help reduce your risk of breast cancer - The News Journal - October 17th, 2020
- UMass Amherst Recognized as a Top LGBTQ-Friendly Campus for 10th Consecutive Year - UMass News and Media Relations - October 17th, 2020
- Extensive new medi-wellness resort, RAKxa, will offer complete blueprint of health in Bangkok's 'Green Lung' - Spa Business - October 17th, 2020
- Raising awareness of menopause, what it is and why you arent alone - Brighton & Hove Independent - October 17th, 2020
- One key to improving medical care:... - Kirkland Reporter - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size 2020, Production, Share, Revenue, Analysis and Innovative Revolution and Forecast Report to 2026 -... - October 17th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size, Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players with COVID 19 Impact Analysis and... - October 7th, 2020
- Message to Rep. Wes Allen: HB1 is an attack on transgendered youths and parental rights - Montgomery Advertiser - October 7th, 2020
- Shoptalk: Parent company to temporarily close Edwards Grand Teton theater - Post Register - October 7th, 2020
- Press A, Be Gay: LGBTQ Representation in Video Games - QNotes - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Industry Key Drivers, Business Insights And Forecast 2024 | F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Merck Serono, Novartis - uco360.com - October 7th, 2020
- So where is our land? Where is the space for us? - Mail and Guardian - October 7th, 2020
- Sex and Menopause, According to a Neuroscientist - Glamour - October 7th, 2020
- Your Health Is on the Ballot: Why You Should Vote for Science in the 2020 Presidential Election - Prevention.com - October 7th, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - Hamilton Journal News - October 3rd, 2020
- Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Solid Analyzed Segmentation, Demand, Recent Share Estimation and Growth Prospects by Regions to 2022... - October 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market | Strategic Industry Evolutionary Analysis Focus on Leading Key Players and Revenue Growth... - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy market size was US$ 15950 million and it is expected to reach US$ 17720 million by the end of 2026, with a CAGR of 1.5% -... - October 3rd, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Tablets Market Covid 19 Overview:Demand Analysis & Growth Opportunities By 2019-2026||ALLERGAN, Novo... - October 3rd, 2020
- Solving the Mystery of My Missing Menstruation - ELLE.com - October 3rd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market - Quantitative Analysis, Current and Future Trends, 2018 to 2028 - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone replacement therapy market- factors responsible for driving or restraining the market - Credence Turbine - October 1st, 2020
- In the Business of Beautifying Hudson Valley, One Face at a Time Hebe Medical Spa in Fishkill, NY - Hudson Valley Style Magazine - October 1st, 2020
- The HER2 Testing market to Transcend the Covid-19 Barrier from 2021 onwards - The Market Records - October 1st, 2020
- Hormone therapy is an option to treat breast cancer - The Albany Herald - September 30th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Hormone Replacement Therapy Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Mithra Pharmaceuticals,... - September 30th, 2020
- Why Some Experts Say Cannabis Is Effective in Treating Menopause - Healthline - September 30th, 2020
- Ascendis Pharma A/S Announces Preliminary Six-Month Data from Open-Label Extension of Phase 2 PaTH Forward Trial and Files IND Amendment to Initiate... - September 30th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2019 - 2024 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Medical profession cares little for women with early onset menopause - The Independent - September 30th, 2020
- Trans youth are less likely to have suicidal thoughts with early care - Insider - INSIDER - September 30th, 2020
- Menopausal Women May Be Able To Give Birth After Blood Plasma Injections - Anti Aging News - September 30th, 2020
- Genomics Market to Rise at 19.5% CAGR and Reach USD 82.60 Billion by 2027; Advances in Diagnostic Applications will Lead to a Wider Product Adoption,... - September 30th, 2020
- Relationship of breastfeeding duration with joint pain and knee osteoarthritis in middle-aged Korean women: a cross-sectional study using the Korea... - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market is Set for Lucrative Growth During 20202026 Zion Market Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market 2019 Services, Demand, Size, Growth Trends, Business Opportunities, Industry Analysis, Top Players &... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Size is Thriving worldwide with Topmost Keyplayer Like:Eli Lilly, Pfizer, AbbVie, Novo Nordisk, Merck KGaA - Weekly... - September 28th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market share forecast to witness considerable growth from 2020 to 2025 | By Top Leading Vendors F. Hoffmann-La Roche,... - September 28th, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis - NDTV Doctor - September 28th, 2020
- New Detailed Information: Hormone Replacement Therapy Market By Global Trends, Business Growth, And Forecasts 2026 | Covid19 Impact Analysis | Key... - September 22nd, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy Market has Huge Impact in Industry 2020 2026 - Verdant News - September 22nd, 2020
- Dar Bioscience Receives $0.9 million Under the Current Grant - BioSpace - September 22nd, 2020
- Early menopause puts women at 'significantly' higher risk of depression, study finds - TheSpec.com - September 22nd, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Bethel Citizen - September 18th, 2020
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market-Segment Market Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2019 2023 - Scientect - September 18th, 2020
- Dyspareunia: What Causes Pain During Sex and How Can it Be Prevented? - News18 - September 18th, 2020
- Predictive Analytics in Healthcare Market Growth Rate, Demands, Status and Application Forecast to 2026 - AlgosOnline - September 18th, 2020
- Isle of Wight author calling on NHS to offer 'pain-free' cancer treatment option - Isle of Wight County Press - September 18th, 2020
- Dr. Roach: Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - The Detroit News - September 15th, 2020
- Assessing the COVID-19 Effect: Hormone Replacement Therapy Production Moderately Disrupted by Labor Shortages of Labor in Pandemic, Says Fact.MR - The... - September 15th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19: Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Market Share, Growth, Demand, Trends, Region Wise Analysis Of Top Players And Forecasts |Abbott... - September 15th, 2020
- The Chronicle of the Horse - The Chronicle of the Horse - September 15th, 2020
- Does HRT affect the duration of hot flashes? - Hays Daily News - September 12th, 2020
- Latest Study explores the Pharmaceutical Contract Manufacturing and Contract Market Witness Highest Growth in near future - The Market Chronicles - September 12th, 2020
- Global Hormone Replacement Therapy Market Research Report Contains Key Players, Industry Overview, Supply Chain, Analysis and Forecast to 2020-2025 -... - September 12th, 2020