Esther MucheneIts possible to naturally conceive and have a normal delivery when with PCOS (Photo: Shutterstock)
Without beating around the bush, the short answer to this question is yes.
ALSO READ: Seven natural ways to manage menopause when youre working
But the problem is, it doesnt always come without complications. And, its not always a guarantee that you will be able to conceive.
If being a mom is something you have always wanted but suffer from this condition, do not give up on the possibilities. Many women have been blessed with healthy children despite their health diagnosis.
Here is what you need about PCOS and chances of conceiving.
Living with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome can drain all your emotional strength when youre trying to conceive. Women with this condition are around three times more likely to develop complications as a result. First its harder because you have insulin resistance or an excess of male hormones like androgen and testosterone that interfere with the release of eggs.
Often, patients are even told that they have a short time to plan a pregnancy when they get a confirmed diagnosis. Even with that, there are ways to increase your chances of conceiving past that window you have been given. The major changes that have to happen are weight loss and diet changes. These reduce the probability of obesity and they also trigger ovulation again.
When you do get pregnant, its harder to carry the whole pregnancy full-term. Its basically considered a high risk pregnancy. There are increased chances of miscarriages, higher risk of developing diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease during your pregnancy and you might need to undergo a C-section delivery. The compilations can also affect your baby. There are chances of a preterm birth and babies who are larger than normal. Because of these risks, you have to be monitored closely at all times. You still have to watch what you eat, keep the stress levels down and keep up with doctors appointments. You might also receive instructions on different types of medication or supplements to ensure you and the baby get the necessary nutrients.
Its completely possible to naturally conceive and have a normal delivery when with PCOS. If at all youre not ready to have a baby and youre active, you have to use some form of protection because there are still chances of getting an unplanned pregnancy. Its better to plan a pregnancy with PCOS because the health risks are too high.
ALSO READ: Can you still get pregnant if you have fibroids?
If you want to have a baby and youve lost or gained the weight and done all you can but there are still no signs of a baby, it could be time to discuss other possible medical treatments with your doctor. This doesnt mean that you should give up quickly but trying for more than a year with no luck could be the signal to try something else.
Fertility treatments have paved way for women with PCOS and those include In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), ovulation induction which is the process of inducing ovulation, and insulin resistance medications. Surgery is also a possibility where you undergo procedures like ovarian drilling. These procedures can cost a lot of money and its not easy for everyone to afford the medication or treatments. This has left so many women stranded and discouraged.
Now what happens if you cant have kids? This is a heartbreaking journey for any woman or couple that desire to have children. You need some time to recover mentally, physically and emotionally if this is what youre going though. Take a break from working if thats an option and put your mental health first.
Maybe you can even consider surrogacy or adoption since there are so many children out there who need a loving home to belong to.
Still, you should take time to recover by going for therapy sessions and join a support group of women who know exactly what youre going through. That way you can accept yourself and be an inspiration to other women who are coming to terms with infertility in future.
- Kenergy Scientific, Inc. Announces That It Has Acquired MedSmart Group, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2020
- How to Fight PCOS with Diet and Nutrition - Scientific American - June 30th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Applying this seed-based oil to your scalp may promote hair growth - Express - June 30th, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Steuben Courier - June 23rd, 2020
- Superstar steroid may fight COVID, but has nothing to do with muscles - The Province - June 23rd, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Jackson County Newspapers - June 19th, 2020
- Melanie Jacobson, PhD, MPH, on the Effects of Phthalates on Testosterone in Men - MedPage Today - June 16th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Creative Loafing Tampa - June 16th, 2020
- The Coming Out of a Transgender Scientist - The MIT Press Reader - June 15th, 2020
- Ashwagandha: 8 Reasons To Include It In Your Diet - NDTV Doctor - June 13th, 2020
- Identical twins compared vegan diet with meat-eating and exercise - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- The weird character change that still bothers NCIS fans - Looper - May 31st, 2020
- Does PCOS affect your ability to conceive? - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the table - The Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- Why do women gain weight during menopause? - The Conversation AU - May 6th, 2020
- Tips for men to boost their fertility naturally - Telangana Today - May 4th, 2020
- John Tesh Is Staying Healthy With Exercise and Diet Post-Cancer - Closer Weekly - May 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Review - A Review of the Acai Berry and Steph Curry's Weight Loss Product - Coin Digital Standard - April 24th, 2020
- Given Alex Rodriguez's history with doping scandals, should he be allowed to own New York Mets? - MEAWW - April 24th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance: The Growing Concern Amongst Teenagers - India.com - March 31st, 2020
- What Are the Differences in Addiction Between Men and Women? - South Florida Caribbean News - March 28th, 2020
- ACR Recommendations for Managing Reproductive Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases - Rheumatology Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- How long can you go without food? Survival, effects, and more - Medical News Today - March 23rd, 2020
- A Former Editor of 'Cosmopolitan' On Her Secret to (Almost) Infinite Energy - The Advocate - March 23rd, 2020
- Middle-aged women are turning to bodybuilding and they've got the edge on their younger rivals - ABC News - March 23rd, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 9th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: The essential oil proven to help hair growth with less scalp itching - Express - March 9th, 2020
- In-Vitro Fertilization Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Instrument, By Procedure Type, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts,... - March 6th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about losing your hair as you get older - goodhousekeeping.com - March 6th, 2020
- How high testosterone levels have different health outcomes for men and women - Health24 - March 1st, 2020
- The 10 tips to keep your penis healthy from more sex to exercising it - The Sun - March 1st, 2020
- Doc, why does my brother keep having convulsions? - nation.co.ke - February 26th, 2020
- Mo Farah, Alberto Salazar and L-carnitine Q&A: everything we know - Telegraph.co.uk - February 25th, 2020
- Eggs for Breakfast: Why It Is Important to Eat This Protein-Rich Food in the Morning Meal for Weight Loss - LatestLY - February 25th, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020
- Here's What Eating 12 Eggs a Day Did to This Guy's Body - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Insider - INSIDER - February 24th, 2020
- Sasapost (Egypt): you go to gym? These supplements are not as important and useful as you think - The KXAN 36 News - February 24th, 2020
- What is prostate cancer? Signs and symptoms of Bill Turnbulls condition - The Sun - February 24th, 2020
- Cut Mass, Not Muscle: The Basics of a Cutting Diet - Greatist - February 10th, 2020
- What I learned talking to 120 women about their sex lives and desires - The Guardian - February 10th, 2020
- Wh(e)y Protein? - The Indian Express - February 4th, 2020
- PERFECT HAIR-OLOGY - The News International - February 4th, 2020
- Is weight loss possible with PCOS? Foods to avoid and proven to help - Insider - INSIDER - February 4th, 2020
- After the Game Is Over - Harvard Medical School - February 2nd, 2020
- David Freeze: Robin and Isaac, on the way to better health - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - February 1st, 2020
- Bodybuilder dies of liver damage due to excessive intake of steroids, was preparing for competition in T - Mumbai Mirror - February 1st, 2020
- 11 ways hormonal imbalances affect your health - The Standard - February 1st, 2020
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? - Men's Journal - January 20th, 2020
- Testosterone deficiency in men with Type 2 diabetes: pathophysiology and treatment. - UroToday - January 20th, 2020
- What women should know about their reproductive system as they age - ABC News - January 20th, 2020
- In case you are shedding your sexual want, it can be as a result of those causes - Health Writeups - January 20th, 2020
- 7 Things That Happen to Our Skin, Bodies and Hair During Menopause - NewBeauty Magazine - January 15th, 2020
- Fasting and Breakfast - Is Eating in the Morning Good - Men's Health - January 15th, 2020
- How your height can predict your risk of cancer and heart disease - The Irish News - January 10th, 2020
- The best workout to do depending on what time of day it is - cosmopolitan.com - January 10th, 2020
- 9 Exercise Myths That Have Been Debunked by Science - Interesting Engineering - January 9th, 2020
- 10 Realistic Fitness Goals for 2020, And How to Actually Meet Them - InsideHook - January 8th, 2020
- 7 ways sleep deprivation is killing your health and career - Ladders - January 6th, 2020
- ANTONIA HOYLE reveals everything DOES go wrong at 40 but heres how you can fight back - Herald Publicist - December 16th, 2019
- Effects of Over-exercising on your body and brain. - Business Insider India - December 16th, 2019
- Just 30 Minutes of Exercise Could Be As Beneficial as an Hour, New Research Finds - Men's health UK - December 14th, 2019
- 5 healthy drinks to consume in the winter time | Latest world and US news and updates with bytebell.com - Byte Bell - December 11th, 2019
- Cryotherapy arrives in Sonoma - Sonoma Index-Tribune - December 8th, 2019
- What Causes Belly Fat and How to Get Rid of It - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 7th, 2019
- Diabetes may cause infertility in men; here are some precautionary measures - Business Standard - December 1st, 2019
- I can go for more than five months without my periods. Is it normal? - nation.co.ke - December 1st, 2019
- Ottawa Marathon third-place finisher provisionally suspended for EPO - Canadian Running Magazine - November 27th, 2019
- Teen Mom star Mackenzie McKee talks dramatic weight loss - Monsters and Critics - November 17th, 2019
- Dr. Wayne Bardin, 85, Innovative Researcher on Birth Control, Dies - The New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- Foods that flop your show in the bedroom - Jamaica Observer - November 17th, 2019
- Investigation on Oregon project following report of abuse - News Landed - November 17th, 2019
- Powerbuilding Basics How To Get Big And Strong At The Same Time - FitnessVolt.com - November 17th, 2019
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - October 20th, 2019
- Weight Loss and Testosterone | TRTMD Men's Health Clinic - June 23rd, 2019
- Testosterone For Women's Weight Loss - It's Not All About ... - June 21st, 2019
- The Keto Diet Plan and Weight Loss for Men Revive Low T ... - May 11th, 2019
- How to use Testosterone Cream for Women to Boost Weight Loss ... - April 15th, 2019
- Low Testosterone & Wellness Center | Allen, TX - April 9th, 2019
- Weight Loss Glen Allen VA - Rejuvenate MD | HRT - April 8th, 2019