If youre new to the keto diet, you may be wondering how to best supplement your new low-carb and high-fat lifestyle with exercise, especially if youre used to being active.
While there are some things to be mindful of, exercise on the keto diet is certainly encouraged and comes with plenty of health benefits.
In this article well discuss the following:
Dont! When the goal is fat loss, a common misconception is to restrict calories while also adding in more exercise, typically cardio, in an effort to lose as much weight as possible. This is not a helpful nor healthy approach to weight loss on the ketogenic diet.
By severely restricting calories and supplementing it with high-intensity or prolonged cardio workouts, you will burn out. This is a recipe for feeling mentally and physically exhausted, and will not lead to significant weight loss. The more you adhere to this approach, the more likely you will only put more stress on your body.
Some side effects of this are an increase in chronic inflammation and even the accelerated aging of your cells. Its simply not a sustainable way to lose weight and can hurt your body in the end.
By eating nutritious whole foods that are also low in carbs along with a moderate amount of protein and high-fat foods, you will naturally eat less because of this diets appetite-suppressing effects. And then of course, weight loss will come.
Moderate amounts of low-intensity cardio is great for your body, so do it! Activities like walking, swimming, hiking, and cycling are all excellent workouts that are also health-improving.
In regards to cardio exercise, what is not helpful is endless hours of running, extreme spinning, or hard-core classes.
Most people think of cardio as the ultimate fat-burning method, but in the end, its a race you cannot win. Its not a sustainable lifestyle for the majority of people.
Here are some reasons why:
Weight training is perfectly fine on the ketogenic diet, but you may need to make some small adjustments to fit your carb needs for the amount of exercise.
Its generally a good idea to consume 15-30 grams of fast-acting carbohydrates, like fruit, up to 30 minutes before your workout and up to 30 minutes after.
This ensures your muscles are getting the proper amount of glycogen to perform during training and also during recovery. Your carbs will be used for this specific purpose without the risk of leaving ketosis.
When doing this form of exercise, be sure to focus on your major muscle groups and add some squats into the mix.
The ketogenic diet has the added benefit of muscle-sparing effects that help you preserve and build lean mass.
This kind of exercise includes intense bursts of anaerobic exercise, such as sprinting with short intervals for recovery.
Similar to weight training, carbohydrates are the primary fuel source for HIIT, so your typical keto diet alone will most likely not be enough energy for these types of workouts.
This includes activities like stretching and yoga, and are great for the ketogenic diet. These exercises are helpful for stretching your muscles, improving muscle range motion, and supporting your joints.
Increasing your flexibility can help to prevent injuries that are typically caused by the shortening of the muscles over time, so do it!
Exogenous ketones are a pretty hot product on the market for keto dieters. These are ketones that are taken externallytypically in the form of a pill, liquid, or powderas opposed to being
naturally produced by your body, and are an excellent way to supplement your ketogenic diet, especially if you are very active.
If you plan on engaging in more intense exercise and prefer not adding more fast-acting carbs before and after your workout, try supplementing your diet with exogenous ketones instead.
This is a great way to get the energy your body needs for a longer workout while still being able to jump right back into ketosis faster afterwards.
Supplementing your ketogenic diet with moderate exercise has been shown to provide some significant benefits. In one three-hour-long study on athletes on a low-carb diet, they were seen to burn 2-3 times more fat than those on a high-carb diet.
This same study also showed these low-carb athletes used and replenished the same amount of muscle glycogen as their high-carb counterparts.
Other benefits include:
There are a lot of carb-heavy philosophies that give ketosis a bad reputation when it comes to exercise, but the truth is that low-carb diets like the ketogenic diet can work well with low-to-moderate forms of exercise and yield plenty of health benefits.
If you have a very active lifestyle and are interested in going keto, it can absolutely work, you just may need to make some small adjustments to your diet.
5 Tips For Optimizing Exercise Performance On The Ketogenic Diet
When to Take Exogenous Ketones
Best Keto Pre-Workout Ingredients Based on Science
5 Measurements to Track on the Ketogenic Diet
 Martin C.K., Rosenbaum D., Han H.M., Geiselman P.J., Wyatt H.R., Hill J.O., Brill C., Bailer B., Miller-III B.V., Stein R., et al. Change in food cravings, food preferences, and appetite during a low-carbohydrate and low-fat diet. Obesity. 2011;19:19631970. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.62. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
 Volek JS, Freidenreich DJ, Saenz C, Kunces LJ, Creighton BC, Bartley JM, Davitt PM, Munoz CX, Anderson JM, Maresh CM, Lee EC, Schuenke MD, Aerni G, Kraemer WJ, Phinney SD. Metabolic characteristics of keto-adapted ultra-endurance runners. Metabolism. 2016 Mar;65(3):100-10. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2015.10.028. Epub 2015 Nov 2.
 Brinkworth GD, Noakes M, Clifton PM, Buckley JD. Effects of a low carbohydrate weight loss diet on exercise capacity and tolerance in obese subjects. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009 Oct;17(10):1916-23. doi: 10.1038/oby.2009.134. Epub 2009 Apr 16.
- Fitness App Market Research Report by Function, by Type - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 - Yahoo Finance UK - July 30th, 2020
- The Vamps James McVey on past unhealthy obsession with extreme diet' - Metro.co.uk - July 30th, 2020
- The world's longest-living people share this hobbywhy studies say it can help add years to your life - CNBC - July 30th, 2020
- Essentials of Healthy Eating: A Guide - The African Exponent - July 30th, 2020
- Combating Age-Related Arthritis In Pets - longislandweekly.com - July 30th, 2020
- Push-Ups: Strengthen Your Push-Ups With These 6 Body Weight Exercises - Doctor NDTV - July 30th, 2020
- 9 Things to Consider When You Start a New Weight Loss Regime - StyleNest - July 30th, 2020
- Eating These Two Things May Be Ruining Your Workout Progress, Study Says - MSN Money - July 30th, 2020
- Stay Healthy When Working From Home: Ditch These 5 Mistakes Today - Doctor NDTV - July 30th, 2020
- Stomach bloating: Best exercises and food to help relieve your bloated stomach - Express - July 30th, 2020
- The nutrients that boost immunity - Times of India - July 30th, 2020
- What needs to change in Trafford to reverse rise in coronavirus cases - Manchester Evening News - July 30th, 2020
- Every day advice to keep on top of cellulite - Northwich Guardian - July 30th, 2020
- Calorie counting will kill our restaurants and it doesn't even work - Telegraph.co.uk - July 30th, 2020
- Mum burned belly fat in just 16 weeks - here's the weight loss workout she swears by - Daily Star - July 30th, 2020
- Talent Talk: How to Lose Weight and Write a Better Resume - Plastics Today - July 28th, 2020
- TikTok is proof that we can't outrun toxic diet culture - Queen's Journal - July 28th, 2020
- Gamecocks' Urich is making a difference on and off the field - WLTX.com - July 28th, 2020
- The Real Life Diet of Kilian Jornet, Who Dominates 100-Mile Ultramarathons and Runs Up The World's Highest Mountains - GQ - July 28th, 2020
- What Is the Mayr Method Diet? Breaking Down Rebel Wilson's Reported Weight Loss Program - GoodHousekeeping.com - July 28th, 2020
- Regularly Eating Chocolate Is Linked to an 8 Percent Lower Heart Attack Risk - Everyday Health - July 28th, 2020
- Back pain diet - the cheap breakfast fruit to protect against lower backache - Express - July 28th, 2020
- I Eat A High-Protein, High-Vegetable Diet To Help With My Prediabetes And PCOS Symptoms - Women's Health - July 28th, 2020
- The scoop on salt and exercise - The Crag and Canyon - July 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus | An opportunity to reshape health care - The Hindu - July 28th, 2020
- The most common bone fractures and tips on preventing them - Chicago Daily Herald - July 28th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: these tips for beach body weight loss are safe and achievable - T3 - July 28th, 2020
- 5 health benefits of running and how you can get started - Insider - INSIDER - July 28th, 2020
- Mother Accused In Shooting Death Of 2-Year-Old Daughter - Milwaukee, WI Patch - July 28th, 2020
- Dr Michael Mosley: 'Our son had COVID-19 and this is how we avoided transmission' - 9Coach - July 28th, 2020
- Doctor's top six tips on how to lead a healthy lifestyle | ITV News - ITV News - July 28th, 2020
- If you are stuck indoors this is how you can take good care of your digestive health - The Indian Express - July 28th, 2020
- The vast majority of Australians (77%) 'feel well and in good health' - Roy Morgan Research - July 28th, 2020
- Plant-based diets are great for high blood pressure even if you cheat - SlashGear - July 26th, 2020
- Self-help for atrial fibrillation - Harvard Health - Harvard Health - July 26th, 2020
- How to Tackle IBS with Food | University of Michigan - Michigan Medicine - July 26th, 2020
- 6 Health Tips For Women In Their 40's - NDTV Doctor - July 26th, 2020
- 'Getting Sober And Seeking Mental Health Treatment Were Crucial First Steps In My Weight-Loss Journey' - Women's Health - July 26th, 2020
- Fighting the good fight - Deccan Herald - July 26th, 2020
- Researchers find increased blood sugar levels likely to decrease benefits of aerobic exercise - Devdiscourse - July 26th, 2020
- What to eat in a day on a DASH diet to reduce risk of cardiovascular disease and improve heart health - Times Now - July 26th, 2020
- Best Ayurvedic beauty products in the UK for 2020 - Mirror Online - July 26th, 2020
- Fitness: Need motivation to get moving? There's an app for that - Peace River Record Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 7 tips for weight loss that are safe and achievable - T3 - July 26th, 2020
- Nick Wright: 'LeBron James Beard Reminds That He Is Old But Bigger, Stronger And Faster' - Fadeaway World - July 26th, 2020
- Keto diet: fastest way to lose weight without starving - The Observer - July 26th, 2020
- Federal Officers In Milwaukee Is 'Taste Of Things To Come' - Patch.com - July 26th, 2020
- The Best Time of Day to Eat Carbs - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - July 26th, 2020
- Fit for Life: Lose the Quarantine 15 - Here Is How - GoLocalProv - July 26th, 2020
- Arthritis - the easy exercise to protect against the joint pain condition - Express - July 26th, 2020
- What type of exercise is right for you? Studying twins may give us an answer - The Independent - July 20th, 2020
- Cancer is leading cause of death in Taipei for 48 years - - July 20th, 2020
- Diabetes significantly increases the risk of developing dementia - Open Access Government - July 20th, 2020
- Five Exercises To Keep Yourself Charged For The Entire Day | Exercises to keep yourself charged - Andhrawishesh - July 20th, 2020
- 'It's not worth it': Young women on how TikTok has warped their body image - NBC News - July 20th, 2020
- Youre Not Alone if the Pandemic Has Made Your Relationship With Food Difficult and Confusing - Well+Good - July 20th, 2020
- Here's Your Guide To Maintaining Good Posture; Know Some Tips To Combat The Side Effects Of Prolonged Sitting - Doctor NDTV - July 20th, 2020
- Keeping your pre-lockdown schedule is important - THE WEEK - July 20th, 2020
- Crucial keto diet trick to boost results of the weight loss plan - do this before meals - Express - July 20th, 2020
- From beating the fear of gyms to obsessing over fad diets, how three women overcame challenges to finally - The Sun - July 20th, 2020
- The Indian thali is great for building immunity: Celeb nutritionist Pooja Makhija - The Indian Express - July 20th, 2020
- 6 ways to lower your blood sugar naturally - Insider - INSIDER - July 20th, 2020
- The Effects of Doing the Plank Exercise Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 20th, 2020
- Do you have prediabetes? Take this test to gauge your risk and prevent type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - July 20th, 2020
- The Revolution for Black America Must Also Happen Within our Community Free Press of Jacksonville - Jacksonville Free Press - July 20th, 2020
- How to live longer - the simple and exotic diet plan to prevent an early death - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Does Diet And Gut Bacteria Contribute To Arteries Aging? - Anti Aging News - July 7th, 2020
- Causes of Constipation and How to Relieve Constipation - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Mark Wahlberg Was Only Supposed to Be Plant-Based for 12 Days. Now Its His Lifestyle. - menshealth.com - July 7th, 2020
- Me and my health: Lady Mary Peters on her lifestyle - Belfast Telegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Justin Bieber Posts Birthday Tribute to Post Malone While Remembering Breonna Taylor on the 4th of July - Billboard - July 7th, 2020
- Our Opinion: Proceed with care in opening schools - Greensboro News & Record - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: This Morning host Holly Willoughby stays in shape with simple trick - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Morning fitness challenge: Begin your day with this exercise to stay fit and healthy - Times Now - July 7th, 2020
- What you need to know about the lymphatic system the new frontier of wellness - Telegraph.co.uk - July 7th, 2020
- Trump administration vows to work 'hand in hand' with local governments to reopen schools amid coronavirus - Fox News - July 7th, 2020
- How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Can eating chocolates make you fat? Here is a fact-check - Times of India - July 7th, 2020
- Shirtless Justin Bieber calls on people to amp up their fitness routines: Gonna go hard this month - PINKVILLA - July 7th, 2020
- LSHTM to play key role in ground-breaking new study into long-term health impacts of coronavirus - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020