If youre new to the keto diet, you may be wondering how to best supplement your new low-carb and high-fat lifestyle with exercise, especially if youre used to being active.
While there are some things to be mindful of, exercise on the keto diet is certainly encouraged and comes with plenty of health benefits.
In this article well discuss the following:
Dont! When the goal is fat loss, a common misconception is to restrict calories while also adding in more exercise, typically cardio, in an effort to lose as much weight as possible. This is not a helpful nor healthy approach to weight loss on the ketogenic diet.
By severely restricting calories and supplementing it with high-intensity or prolonged cardio workouts, you will burn out. This is a recipe for feeling mentally and physically exhausted, and will not lead to significant weight loss. The more you adhere to this approach, the more likely you will only put more stress on your body.
Some side effects of this are an increase in chronic inflammation and even the accelerated aging of your cells. Its simply not a sustainable way to lose weight and can hurt your body in the end.
By eating nutritious whole foods that are also low in carbs along with a moderate amount of protein and high-fat foods, you will naturally eat less because of this diets appetite-suppressing effects. And then of course, weight loss will come.
Moderate amounts of low-intensity cardio is great for your body, so do it! Activities like walking, swimming, hiking, and cycling are all excellent workouts that are also health-improving.
In regards to cardio exercise, what is not helpful is endless hours of running, extreme spinning, or hard-core classes.
Most people think of cardio as the ultimate fat-burning method, but in the end, its a race you cannot win. Its not a sustainable lifestyle for the majority of people.
Here are some reasons why:
Weight training is perfectly fine on the ketogenic diet, but you may need to make some small adjustments to fit your carb needs for the amount of exercise.
Its generally a good idea to consume 15-30 grams of fast-acting carbohydrates, like fruit, up to 30 minutes before your workout and up to 30 minutes after.
This ensures your muscles are getting the proper amount of glycogen to perform during training and also during recovery. Your carbs will be used for this specific purpose without the risk of leaving ketosis.
When doing this form of exercise, be sure to focus on your major muscle groups and add some squats into the mix.
The ketogenic diet has the added benefit of muscle-sparing effects that help you preserve and build lean mass.
This kind of exercise includes intense bursts of anaerobic exercise, such as sprinting with short intervals for recovery.
Similar to weight training, carbohydrates are the primary fuel source for HIIT, so your typical keto diet alone will most likely not be enough energy for these types of workouts.
This includes activities like stretching and yoga, and are great for the ketogenic diet. These exercises are helpful for stretching your muscles, improving muscle range motion, and supporting your joints.
Increasing your flexibility can help to prevent injuries that are typically caused by the shortening of the muscles over time, so do it!
Exogenous ketones are a pretty hot product on the market for keto dieters. These are ketones that are taken externallytypically in the form of a pill, liquid, or powderas opposed to being
naturally produced by your body, and are an excellent way to supplement your ketogenic diet, especially if you are very active.
If you plan on engaging in more intense exercise and prefer not adding more fast-acting carbs before and after your workout, try supplementing your diet with exogenous ketones instead.
This is a great way to get the energy your body needs for a longer workout while still being able to jump right back into ketosis faster afterwards.
Supplementing your ketogenic diet with moderate exercise has been shown to provide some significant benefits. In one three-hour-long study on athletes on a low-carb diet, they were seen to burn 2-3 times more fat than those on a high-carb diet.
This same study also showed these low-carb athletes used and replenished the same amount of muscle glycogen as their high-carb counterparts.
Other benefits include:
There are a lot of carb-heavy philosophies that give ketosis a bad reputation when it comes to exercise, but the truth is that low-carb diets like the ketogenic diet can work well with low-to-moderate forms of exercise and yield plenty of health benefits.
If you have a very active lifestyle and are interested in going keto, it can absolutely work, you just may need to make some small adjustments to your diet.
5 Tips For Optimizing Exercise Performance On The Ketogenic Diet
When to Take Exogenous Ketones
Best Keto Pre-Workout Ingredients Based on Science
5 Measurements to Track on the Ketogenic Diet
 Martin C.K., Rosenbaum D., Han H.M., Geiselman P.J., Wyatt H.R., Hill J.O., Brill C., Bailer B., Miller-III B.V., Stein R., et al. Change in food cravings, food preferences, and appetite during a low-carbohydrate and low-fat diet. Obesity. 2011;19:19631970. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.62. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
 Volek JS, Freidenreich DJ, Saenz C, Kunces LJ, Creighton BC, Bartley JM, Davitt PM, Munoz CX, Anderson JM, Maresh CM, Lee EC, Schuenke MD, Aerni G, Kraemer WJ, Phinney SD. Metabolic characteristics of keto-adapted ultra-endurance runners. Metabolism. 2016 Mar;65(3):100-10. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2015.10.028. Epub 2015 Nov 2.
 Brinkworth GD, Noakes M, Clifton PM, Buckley JD. Effects of a low carbohydrate weight loss diet on exercise capacity and tolerance in obese subjects. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009 Oct;17(10):1916-23. doi: 10.1038/oby.2009.134. Epub 2009 Apr 16.
- Alison Hammond weight loss: How did she slim down? This Morning star followed this plan - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Weight-loss tips that go beyond the 'eat less, exercise hard' formula - The National - December 9th, 2019
- The man who unlocked the world's secret to living to age 100 says you can skip the gym - INSIDER - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: How this woman lost 11 kilos and beat PCOD without going to the gym! - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Ex-Vegan Influencer Plans On Eating Mostly Meat From Here On Out - Refinery29 - December 9th, 2019
- I'm fit and healthy. Do I really need to take multivitamins? - Rappler - December 9th, 2019
- How Fans Are Handling Their Favorite Influencer Going From Vegan To An All-Carnivore Diet - BuzzFeed News - December 9th, 2019
- Singer and Talk Show Host Syleena Johnson Shed Over 50 Pounds For a Fitness Competition - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 9th, 2019
- We Can Train Our Brain to do Just About Anything, So Do Not Forget to Exercise, Take the Test! - Live Trading News - December 9th, 2019
- Best weight loss: Eating more of this food can help you slim - what is it? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Is the vilification of NZ's meat and dairy justified? - Noted - December 9th, 2019
- Princess Beatrice used this plan to slim - will she follow a diet for royal wedding? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Cholesterol Should Be On Everyone's Radar Can You Control It? | HuffPost Life - HuffPost UK - December 9th, 2019
- Column: Water restriction is the key to treating too-low salt levels - SouthCoastToday.com - December 9th, 2019
- Beware of supplements and botanicals: Consumer Reports - WSYR - December 9th, 2019
- How Intuitive Eating Works, and How to Get Started - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 9th, 2019
- Ask Jillian Michaels: I recently gave birth to my first child how do I lose the baby weight and get back in shape? - Business Insider - December 9th, 2019
- Seventy Nine Per Cent Of People Have A "Heart Age" Higher Than Their Biological Age - Men's Health - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best carbs to eat to shed pounds based on your body type - The Sun - December 9th, 2019
- Robbie Williams weight loss: Gave up one thing to slim down and shed fat - what was it? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Aerobic exercise, improved diet could slow memory problems in nursing home residents - News - McKnight's Long Term Care News - December 2nd, 2019
- Diet, Exercise, and Apologize to Your Sister: A Prescription for Long-Term Health - Tennessee Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Susanna Reid weight loss: GMB host cut one thing from diet plan to shed 1st 7lb - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- Back pain remedies: Exercise, diet, and numerous other ways to prevent back pain - Republic World - Republic World - December 2nd, 2019
- Donald Trump Challenged to Go Vegan in January for $1 Million Donation to Veterans - Newsweek - December 2nd, 2019
- UNC athletes find allies in effort to avoid eating disorder risks - The Daily Tar Heel - December 2nd, 2019
- How to live 40 percent longer | Health - Williston Daily Herald - December 2nd, 2019
- What is Diet Culture and 4 Steps to Navigate It - Thrive Global - December 2nd, 2019
- Midlife Fitness Files: Michael Mosley on creating the 5:2 diet and reversing his diabetes - Telegraph.co.uk - December 2nd, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat: Best Exercise To Have Fantastic Abs - International Business Times - December 2nd, 2019
- The Power of Point of Care in the Marketing Channel - DTC Perspectives Magazine - December 2nd, 2019
- Thought for Food: Walter Willett on Diet for Personal and Planetary Health - The Good Men Project - December 2nd, 2019
- Can Green Coffee Really Help You Lose Weight? Find The Answer Here - NDTV News - December 2nd, 2019
- $1 Million Offer to President Trump: Go Vegan for January and the Veterans Will Receive $1M - VEGWORLD Magazine - December 1st, 2019
- Medical News Today: Possible reasons weight loss is not working - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Grueling gym routines, restrictive diets, and no dating: K-pop stars tell us about the dark side of their industry - Business Insider - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants being thrown under the bus - Peace Arch News - December 1st, 2019
- Excessive hygiene: Can this be a bad thing? - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- How to live longer: This type of exercise could increase life expectancy - Express - December 1st, 2019
- Michelle McManus weight loss: Singer used this diet plan to shed impressive 10 stone - Express.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- How to lose weight in 6 months like this guy who lost 18 kgs without hiring a personal trainer or a dietician - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 1st, 2019
- Learn to say 'no' as well as ho-ho this holiday season - theday.com - December 1st, 2019
- Serena Williams Cheats on Her Diet in a Truly Indulgent Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 1st, 2019
- The Eating And Exercise Habits Behind Elsa Pataky's Seriously Strong Physique - Women's Health - December 1st, 2019
- Exercise will help you lose belly fat, but do away with associated myths first - TheHealthSite - December 1st, 2019
- Jamie Oliver weight loss: TV chef ditched one food to shed an astounding two stone - Express.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- High blood pressure: Add this green fruit to your breakfast to lower your reading - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How to master intuitive eating during the toughest time of the year - Inverse - December 1st, 2019
- How to recover from Thanksgiving - KRON4 - December 1st, 2019
- Mike Sorrentino Shocked Family With His Post-Prison Weight Loss - Screen Rant - December 1st, 2019
- Chichester ranks in second place in a survey to find the healthiest town - Chichester Observer - December 1st, 2019
- Weight Loss With Swimming: THIS is why swimming is the BEST weight loss exercise - PINKVILLA - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants 'being thrown under the bus' - BCLocalNews - December 1st, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Include this 55p food in your diet to lower your blood sugar - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How one woman lost 95 pounds and still got her Taco Bell fix - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Circulation - South Florida Reporter - December 1st, 2019
- Miranda Lambert Gets Candid About Struggling With Ups and Downs in Weight - countryliving.com - November 29th, 2019
- 'The Bachelor': Cassie Randolph Reveals Her Skincare, Diet, and Workout Routine - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 29th, 2019
- Heart-Healthy Diet May Improve Brain And Memory Functioning; Study - NDTV Food - November 29th, 2019
- 10 Most Expensive Diets Only Celebrities Can Afford | TheRichest - TheRichest - November 29th, 2019
- High blood pressure in the morning: What does it mean? - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2019
- How to lose weight according to a doctor who lost 53 kgs by following this systematic approach to weight loss - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 29th, 2019
- Fitness column: Put stretching in its proper place to tackle workout priorities - Edmonton Journal - November 29th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Eating this tasty treat could help lower blood sugar - Express - November 29th, 2019
- Now is the Time for Black Men to Get Serious about Their Health - Milwaukee Courier Weekly Newspaper - November 29th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Taking this supplement could help lower your reading - Express - November 29th, 2019
- The keto diet: what to know about the extreme diet phenomenon - Vox.com - November 27th, 2019
- Lorraine Kelly weight loss: ITV star drops two dress sizes by cutting out one thing - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Fear of dementia overtakes cancer for older Australians, as new study looks at lifestyle and diet options - ABC News - November 27th, 2019
- Conor McGregor Cheats on His Diet in the Best Way Possible - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 27th, 2019
- Gut microbes may predict whether exercising will prevent diabetes - New Scientist News - November 27th, 2019
- My journey to ditch the fad diets and lower my stress this is what worked - NBC News - November 27th, 2019
- Michigan Veteran Runs 22 Hours to Support Others Living with PTSD - runnersworld.com - November 27th, 2019
- Best Exercise for Diabetes: THESE workouts with medication and a healthy diet can help you to fight diabetes - PINKVILLA - November 27th, 2019
- Importance of early detection for colorectal cancer - WANE - November 27th, 2019
- Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino's Family Was 'Shocked' When They Saw His Prison Weight Loss - PEOPLE.com - November 27th, 2019
- How to live longer: Eating this sweet snack could increase life expectancy - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Plant-Based Diet Linked to Improved Cognitive Health - One Green Planet - November 27th, 2019
- How to live longer: This type of exercise found to be best for increasing life expectancy - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Carthage hospital offers information and a free dinner - NNY360 - November 27th, 2019