If youre new to the keto diet, you may be wondering how to best supplement your new low-carb and high-fat lifestyle with exercise, especially if youre used to being active.
While there are some things to be mindful of, exercise on the keto diet is certainly encouraged and comes with plenty of health benefits.
In this article well discuss the following:
Dont! When the goal is fat loss, a common misconception is to restrict calories while also adding in more exercise, typically cardio, in an effort to lose as much weight as possible. This is not a helpful nor healthy approach to weight loss on the ketogenic diet.
By severely restricting calories and supplementing it with high-intensity or prolonged cardio workouts, you will burn out. This is a recipe for feeling mentally and physically exhausted, and will not lead to significant weight loss. The more you adhere to this approach, the more likely you will only put more stress on your body.
Some side effects of this are an increase in chronic inflammation and even the accelerated aging of your cells. Its simply not a sustainable way to lose weight and can hurt your body in the end.
By eating nutritious whole foods that are also low in carbs along with a moderate amount of protein and high-fat foods, you will naturally eat less because of this diets appetite-suppressing effects. And then of course, weight loss will come.
Moderate amounts of low-intensity cardio is great for your body, so do it! Activities like walking, swimming, hiking, and cycling are all excellent workouts that are also health-improving.
In regards to cardio exercise, what is not helpful is endless hours of running, extreme spinning, or hard-core classes.
Most people think of cardio as the ultimate fat-burning method, but in the end, its a race you cannot win. Its not a sustainable lifestyle for the majority of people.
Here are some reasons why:
Weight training is perfectly fine on the ketogenic diet, but you may need to make some small adjustments to fit your carb needs for the amount of exercise.
Its generally a good idea to consume 15-30 grams of fast-acting carbohydrates, like fruit, up to 30 minutes before your workout and up to 30 minutes after.
This ensures your muscles are getting the proper amount of glycogen to perform during training and also during recovery. Your carbs will be used for this specific purpose without the risk of leaving ketosis.
When doing this form of exercise, be sure to focus on your major muscle groups and add some squats into the mix.
The ketogenic diet has the added benefit of muscle-sparing effects that help you preserve and build lean mass.
This kind of exercise includes intense bursts of anaerobic exercise, such as sprinting with short intervals for recovery.
Similar to weight training, carbohydrates are the primary fuel source for HIIT, so your typical keto diet alone will most likely not be enough energy for these types of workouts.
This includes activities like stretching and yoga, and are great for the ketogenic diet. These exercises are helpful for stretching your muscles, improving muscle range motion, and supporting your joints.
Increasing your flexibility can help to prevent injuries that are typically caused by the shortening of the muscles over time, so do it!
Exogenous ketones are a pretty hot product on the market for keto dieters. These are ketones that are taken externallytypically in the form of a pill, liquid, or powderas opposed to being
naturally produced by your body, and are an excellent way to supplement your ketogenic diet, especially if you are very active.
If you plan on engaging in more intense exercise and prefer not adding more fast-acting carbs before and after your workout, try supplementing your diet with exogenous ketones instead.
This is a great way to get the energy your body needs for a longer workout while still being able to jump right back into ketosis faster afterwards.
Supplementing your ketogenic diet with moderate exercise has been shown to provide some significant benefits. In one three-hour-long study on athletes on a low-carb diet, they were seen to burn 2-3 times more fat than those on a high-carb diet.
This same study also showed these low-carb athletes used and replenished the same amount of muscle glycogen as their high-carb counterparts.
Other benefits include:
There are a lot of carb-heavy philosophies that give ketosis a bad reputation when it comes to exercise, but the truth is that low-carb diets like the ketogenic diet can work well with low-to-moderate forms of exercise and yield plenty of health benefits.
If you have a very active lifestyle and are interested in going keto, it can absolutely work, you just may need to make some small adjustments to your diet.
5 Tips For Optimizing Exercise Performance On The Ketogenic Diet
When to Take Exogenous Ketones
Best Keto Pre-Workout Ingredients Based on Science
5 Measurements to Track on the Ketogenic Diet
 Martin C.K., Rosenbaum D., Han H.M., Geiselman P.J., Wyatt H.R., Hill J.O., Brill C., Bailer B., Miller-III B.V., Stein R., et al. Change in food cravings, food preferences, and appetite during a low-carbohydrate and low-fat diet. Obesity. 2011;19:19631970. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.62. [PMC free article] [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
 Volek JS, Freidenreich DJ, Saenz C, Kunces LJ, Creighton BC, Bartley JM, Davitt PM, Munoz CX, Anderson JM, Maresh CM, Lee EC, Schuenke MD, Aerni G, Kraemer WJ, Phinney SD. Metabolic characteristics of keto-adapted ultra-endurance runners. Metabolism. 2016 Mar;65(3):100-10. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2015.10.028. Epub 2015 Nov 2.
 Brinkworth GD, Noakes M, Clifton PM, Buckley JD. Effects of a low carbohydrate weight loss diet on exercise capacity and tolerance in obese subjects. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009 Oct;17(10):1916-23. doi: 10.1038/oby.2009.134. Epub 2009 Apr 16.
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 5 common workout myths and what to do instead, according to the personal trainer who eats only 2 meals a day - Evening Standard - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net - August 18th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017
- What Marilyn Monroe actually ate every day - HarpersBAZAAR.co.uk (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Prevent cardiovascular disease - adding this to diet could be as good as exercise - Express.co.uk - August 17th, 2017