If Mondays ladder workout torched your legs and back, its time to add some balance (and a nifty pump) with this chest-building and shoulder-burning partner push-up challenge.
Youre going to work in a ladder format, performing one push-up, followed by one two footed kick back, before exploding up into a single burpee to finish each round, meanwhile your partner holds in a forward leaning rest (FLR) position, also known as the top of a push-up.
Once youve dropped back down from your burpee, youll now hold the FLR, whilst your partner completes his first round (1 push-up, 1 kickback, 1 burpee), as soon as your partner is complete and back in their hold, youll begin again, this time adding an additional rep to your push-ups and kickbacks. Thankfully, you get to keep to a single burpee each time.
Continue in this fashion, adding a rep to your push-ups and kickbacks each round, while your partner holds strong. The first person to break out of the FLR position, loses the game.
The penalty? Take the target number of push-up and kick-back reps for the round you were on and triple it . So if you were on round 10, your target would have been twenty total reps between push-ups and kickbacks, so that comes out to 60. Your partner must now complete this many burpees.
If thats not a good enough incentive to hold your ground, we dont know what is.
This ones a mental game, focus on your breathing during the hold, slowing your heart rate so that you can begin recovering and dont fatigue too quickly, says Mens Health fitness editor Andrew Tracey. Then during the work, pace yourself, use the burpee as an opportunity to relax your arms and shake them off.
Throw down the gauntlet to see who will make it the furthest up the ladder and who will be staring down the barrel of that big burpee penalty
0) FLR position
Assume a strong plank with your wrists, elbows and shoulders stacked vertically and your arms locked out. Brace your core, squeeze your glutes and ensure youre creating a rigid structure from your ankles to your shoulders, throughout. Hold this position. If your hip sag to the ground or shoot into the air, you have broken the position.
1) Push-Up x 1,2,3,4 etc.
Assume a long arm plank position, with your core tight and your hands below your shoulders (A), bend your elbows to bring your chest to the floor (B). Keep your elbows close to your body as you push back up explosively.
2) Two-Footed Kickback x 1,2,3,4 etc.
NOTE: Image shows dumbbells. Perform these without. Jump your feet towards your hands, landing with bent legs, knees slightly off the ground (A). Shift your weight onto your arms and kick your legs back into the air, straightening them as much as you can (B), then land in the start position. This is one rep- jump your feet back out, straightening your legs ready for your next push-up. Perform 10 total reps.
3) Burpee x 1 each round (and penalty reps)
After your final kick back, land with your feet back, straight legged, back in the top of your push-up position, dip down until your chest touches the floor(A). Straighten your arms and hop your feet forwards, before jumping into the air with hands on head (B)
Sign up to the Men's Health newsletter and kickstart your home body plan. Make positive steps to become healthier and mentally strong with all the best fitness, muscle-building and nutrition advice delivered to your inbox.
For effective home workouts, uplifting stories, easy recipes and advice you can trust, subscribe to Men's Health UK today
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
This commenting section is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information on their web site.
See the original post:
Build A Bigger Chest and Shoulders With This Bodyweight Showdown - Men's health UK
- We Just Dropped Fitspo Merch Youre Going to Want to Lift In - menshealth.com - November 27th, 2020
- Brian Mazza Is Running 50 Miles to Fight Male Infertility Stigma - menshealth.com - November 27th, 2020
- Meet The Female CEO Bringing Men's Health Initiative Movember To Women - Forbes - November 27th, 2020
- US : The 6 foods most recommended by doctors, to enhance men's health - Explica - November 24th, 2020
- Grow a mo to raise some dough and awareness of mens health - Larne Times - November 12th, 2020
- James Wilks Featured In Mens Health Most Influential Men In Health And Fitness List - Plant Based News - November 12th, 2020
- These 3 Steps Will Help You Deal With Negativity in the News - menshealth.com - November 12th, 2020
- Cranbrook's Sutton brothers form non-profit Rising Wolf to promote and support men's health - BCLocalNews - November 12th, 2020
- How to Watch the Men's Health Next Top Trainer Competition - menshealth.com - November 3rd, 2020
- [Tuning In] Sean Low on taboo in men's health and how machismo shouldn't get in the way for men to feel their best - KrASIA - November 3rd, 2020
- You're Invited to Join Us for an Exclusive, Virtual MVP Live Event - menshealth.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Moustaches for Men's Health The Meaning of Movember - Todayville.com - November 3rd, 2020
- A COVID-19 Vaccine Test Will Resume in the Heart of West Hollywood - WEHOville - November 3rd, 2020
- The Muscle You Didn't Know You Need to Train to Look Shredded - msnNOW - November 3rd, 2020
- Movember begins next week in support of men's health - HalifaxToday.ca - October 25th, 2020
- Why You Should Grow a Movember Moustache This Year - menshealth.com - October 24th, 2020
- Phoebe Bridgers Shares How Men Can Help the Women in Their Lives - menshealth.com - October 24th, 2020
- Exclusive: Lenny Kravitz On His Grand Collab, New Book, and That Abs-olutely Perfect Men's Health Cover - Daily Front Row - October 24th, 2020
- How to Deal With Erectile Dysfunction in a Relationship - University of Utah Health Care - October 7th, 2020
- Why This Year's Mo Will Be The Most Important You Ever Grow - Triple M - October 7th, 2020
- Billy Bush Has Nothing to Hide - menshealth.com - October 6th, 2020
- Men's Health Knows There Is Strength in Diversity - menshealth.com - October 4th, 2020
- I Tried the ArcWave Ion Masturbator for Men Who Just Like the Tip - menshealth.com - October 4th, 2020
- United Way Annual Campaign continues, Beards United initiative for mens health launching - ConchoValleyHomepage.com - October 4th, 2020
- These Are the 'Mild Symptoms' COVID-Positive People Might Experience - menshealth.com - October 4th, 2020
- 15-Min Dumbbell Session To Pump Up Your Arms and Crush Calories - Men's health UK - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Ideas For How to Take Care of Your Mental Health, According to Common - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- How This Astronaut Builds Muscle to Survive in Space - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Free men's health screenings held on Sept. 26 - The Oakland Press - September 16th, 2020
- Bisexual Men Exist, and It's Time for Our Moment - menshealth.com - September 16th, 2020
- Arkansas Urology hosts 16th annual Kickoff to Mens Health event - KARK - September 16th, 2020
- Handle Any Kind of Pressure. Even Brain Surgery. - menshealth.com - September 16th, 2020
- 'GUYnecology': Why men's reproductive health matters | YaleNews - Yale News - September 16th, 2020
- Arkansas Urology hosts 16th Annual Kick Off to Mens Health events - KLRT - FOX16.com - September 10th, 2020
- 10 Men's Sexual Health Questions That Are Too Embarrassing to Ask - University of Utah Health Care - September 10th, 2020
- Bulk Up Your Chest, Back and Arms with This 500-Rep Bodyweight Challenge - Men's health UK - September 8th, 2020
- Free men's health and mental awareness session for men in Burnham-On-Sea area - Burnham-On-Sea - September 8th, 2020
- Men feeling more stressed, isolated as coronavirus pandemic rolls on, Clinic survey finds - cleveland.com - September 8th, 2020
- Join Common and Men's Health for an Intimate Discussion on Mental Health - menshealth.com - September 5th, 2020
- The 100-Rep Squat Challenge That Stacks on Lean Muscle Mass - Men's health UK - September 3rd, 2020
- Here's How Mark Cuban Would Make It as a 20-Year-Old With Only $20 in 2020 - menshealth.com - September 3rd, 2020
- How COVID-19 is impacting mens mental health and behavior - fox4kc.com - September 3rd, 2020
- APL's New TechLoom Tracer Sneakers Are Worth the Hype - Men's Health - August 20th, 2020
- This 400-Rep Lower-Body Challenge Will Fire Your Metabolism and Smoke Calories - Men's health UK - August 20th, 2020
- Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Is Living Simple to Get Ripped for 'The Matrix 4' - Men's Health - August 18th, 2020
- This 2-Move Kettlebell Calorie Crusher Is The Ultimate Leg Day Throwdown - Men's health UK - August 18th, 2020
- How to Increase Male Fertility With Healthy Sperm - University of Utah Health Care - August 18th, 2020
- Maro Itoje's Workout Will Build Explosive Strength - Men's Health - August 16th, 2020
- This Great Interval Workout Aims to Make You Stronger in Just 15 Minutes - MSN Money - August 16th, 2020
- Strong Men, Strong Communities: Design of a Randomized Controlled Trial of a Diabetes Prevention Intervention for American Indian and Alaska Native... - August 11th, 2020
- Eat to Build Muscle - Foods and Diet Plan - Men's Health - July 30th, 2020
- Here's Everything That Went Down With Garmin's Alleged Ransomware Attack - Men's Health - July 30th, 2020
- This Is Why Women Live Longer Than Men - Longevity LIVE - July 30th, 2020
- Mercury Capital axes eight former Bauer magazines, including Harper's Bazaar, Elle and Men's Health - The Guardian - July 25th, 2020
- 7 Ways to Make Sitting Work Every Muscle In Your Body - MSN Money - July 25th, 2020
- The Re-Re-Reinvention of Mark Wahlberg - Men's Health - July 9th, 2020
- Link between mens sexual health and their overall health - WJBF-TV - July 7th, 2020
- Many more magazines shutting down, including Mens Health and Bicycling - MyBroadband - July 7th, 2020
- 25 Fantasy Movies to Watch When You Need to Escape the World - Men's Health - July 6th, 2020
- Olympic Swimmer Ryan Murphy Swears by This Breakfast Every Day - Men's Health - July 6th, 2020
- 840-Rep Dumbbell Challenge That Crushes Fat And Stacks On Muscle - Men's health UK - June 26th, 2020
- A Morning Hater's Guide to Waking Up Early - Men's health UK - June 25th, 2020
- La Esperanza Clinic is reaching out to the community to wear blue for mens health - MyFoxZone.com KIDY - June 25th, 2020
- Bear Grylls Just Showed Off His Seriously Impressive Core Strength - menshealth.com - June 24th, 2020
- Kevin Gates Is Learning About Urine Therapy in Quarantine - menshealth.com - June 23rd, 2020
- The Workout Brad Pitt Used To Get Shredded For Fight Club - Men's Health - June 23rd, 2020
- Getting your guy to the doctor. Local experts weigh in on why men's health matters - Bham Now - June 23rd, 2020
- After Men's Health Week and a Gradual Release from Lockdown, is it time to take a deeper look at Men's Mental Health? - News from Wales - June 23rd, 2020
- Gender gap in men's health | Family and Relations | nny360.com - NNY360 - June 23rd, 2020
- Editorial: Its time to remember mens health - Salina Journal - June 14th, 2020
- HSE West to run series of initiatives for Mens Health week from Monday - Connacht Tribune Group - June 14th, 2020
- Know The Connection Between International Men's Health Week And Father's Day - India.com - June 10th, 2020
- The 100 Best (and Worst) U.S. Cities for Your Heart - menshealth.com - June 10th, 2020
- International Men's Health Week 2020: How, What And Why it is Celebrated - India.com - June 10th, 2020
- Before You Say All Lives Matter, Read This - Men's health UK - June 5th, 2020
- Men's Health Week to be a rallying call for communities - Mirage News - June 5th, 2020
- Celebrate Mens Health Month with the American Cancer Society - KRQE News 13 - June 4th, 2020
- Resistance Band Workout: 6-Move Home Workout To Build Muscle - Men's health UK - June 4th, 2020
- Men's Health Month: 26 Years of Progress - Dallasweekly - June 4th, 2020
- Mens Health Month: Top 5 Tips for Dad this Fathers Day - Newswise - June 3rd, 2020