ATLANTA (CNN) Who won the 2020 battle of the diets?
For the third year in a row, the well-researched Mediterranean diet KO'd the competition to win gold in U.S. News and World Report's 2020 ranking of best diets. The report, released last week, is now in its 10th year.
"The hallmarks of a 'best' diet include balance, maintainability, palatability, family-friendliness, sustainability, along with healthfulness. The Mediterranean diet gets checkmarks in all of those boxes," said Yale University Prevention Research Center founding director Dr. David Katz, who was one of 25 judges on the U.S. News and World Report panel.
"It's no surprise that the Mediterranean diet remains the No. 1 best diet overall," said nutritionist Lisa Drayer, a CNN contributor. "It's easy to follow and offers a healthy eating lifestyle."
The Mediterranean diet, which emphasizes simple, plant-based cooking, also captured first place in best diet for healthy eating, easiest diet to follow, best plant-based diet and best diet for diabetes.
Meals from the sunny Mediterranean have been linked to stronger bones, a healthier heart, a lower risk of dementia and breast cancer, and longer life, along with a reduced risk for diabetes and high blood pressure.
The diet focuses on eating less red meat, sugar and saturated fat and more Omega-3-rich fish and olive oil. Red wine can be enjoyed in moderation and socializing with friends and family during meals is part of the prescription.
Following closely behind the Mediterranean diet were the respected DASH, Flexitarian, WW (the rebranded name popularly known as Weight Watchers) and MIND diets. Their high rankings are a trend in the report's results each year.
"We're interested in diets that have proven staying value not fad diets that are here today, gone tomorrow," said Angela Haupt, managing editor of health at U.S. News & World Report. "The diets that perform well are safe, sensible and backed by sound science. That's going to be consistent from year to year."
The DASH diet is often recommended to lower blood pressure. Its premise is simple: Eat more veggies, fruits and low-fat dairy foods while cutting way back on any food high in saturated fat, and limit your intake of salt.
Studies have shown following this diet can reduce blood pressure in a matter of weeks.
The flexitarian diet tied with the DASH diet for second place because of its emphasis on whole grains, fruits, veggies and plant-based proteins. It's basically a vegetarian diet that allows the occasional piece of meat or fish, thus making it "flexible."
The MIND diet is a combination of the Mediterranean and DASH diets that some may find a bit easier to follow, as it requires less fish and fruit. Both MIND, which stands for "Mediterranean-DASH Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay," and the Mediterranean diet have been shown to lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease in studies.
WW came in fourth on the best diet list but took first place in the report's ranking of best weight loss and commercial weight loss programs. Not only is the diet healthy, the panel said, but it wins top points for stressing the importance of support for dieters.
Despite winning the respect of nutritionists, WW has been losing market share this year; the company's CEO told analysts the loss was due to the growing popularity of the keto diet, which makes carbs taboo.
Speaking of the keto craze ...
Sure to upset its legions of fans, the trendy keto diet came in next to last in the ranking of 35 diets, just ahead of the obscure Dukan diet.
Both diets aim for "ketosis," a metabolic state that burns the body's stores of fat instead of carbohydrates, the body's natural source of energy. To do that, the diets restrict carb intake to levels nutritionists feel are highly unhealthy as well as completely unsustainable.
In the keto diet, Drayer said, "carbs are limited to about 20 grams per day," the equivalent of one small banana or apple. Due to the drastic cut in carbs, the diet can cause "headaches, nausea, dizziness and fatigue, particularly in the beginning," she said, adding that "long-term studies on its effectiveness are lacking."
Spending your life weight-obsessed, and going on and off diets, is no way to live. One of the things we hope to convey to the American public is that it's time to grow up about diet and give it more respect.Dr. David Katz
In place of carbs, the keto diet emphasizes high levels of protein, fats and dairy, typically full of saturated fat that can contribute to cardiovascular and other chronic diseases.
"I am not a fan of the keto diet, though it may be helpful as a 'jump start' to weight loss and can help you quickly rid your diet of processed carbs and sugars," Drayer said.
Which may be why the keto diet tied for third place in the race for best "fast" weight loss diet.
First place in the get-rid-of-fat-quick category went to HMR, the Health Management Resources program. It involves purchasing meal replacements from HMR, such as shakes, nutrition bars and multigrain cereals, and adding vegetables and fruits to round out the meals.
Second place went to Optavia, which used to be called Medifast. It, too, wants you to buy and eat many of the company's pre-packaged products, supplemented by some foods at home.
Both diets could be difficult to follow, Haupt said, "because prepackaged meals tend to get old fast."
The highly ranked WW tied for third, along with Jenny Craig, which ranked 12th in the best overall diet list.
But the low/no-carb diet Atkins and the keto diet also tied for third place, despite ranking in the deep bottom of other diet categories, such as best diet, most healthy diet and best diets for heart health and diabetes. Ironically, HMR and Optavia joined them toward the bottom of the other categories.
Why would diets that are considered good at helping drop weight quickly be ranked so badly overall?
"The 'best' way to lose weight fast is to do something very silly, unsustainable and arguably irresponsible. It's not truly best just fast," said Katz, who is the president of the True Health Initiative, a non-profit organization dedicated to health promotion and disease prevention
"Many things that are truly bad for health can cause short-term weight loss," Katz said. "The most effective diets for 'fast' weight loss impose severe restrictions that cannot be maintained and would not be compatible with health if they were."
That's because quick weight loss diets usually emphasize some drastic cut in nutrients or the elimination of an entire food group that can't be maintained over time. When the diet stops, the weight comes back, often at higher levels than at the start of the diet. It's the body's response to "yo-yo" dieting, studies show.
"Spending your life weight-obsessed, and going on and off diets, is no way to live," Katz said. "One of the things we hope to convey to the American public is that it's time to grow up about diet and give it more respect.
"Grown-ups don't generally expect to 'get rich fast'; they understand the need to work, over time," Katz continued. "But everyone thinks there is some magic formula they haven't tried yet for rapid weight loss. The consensus of the U.S. News judges is a resounding rebuke of that silly idea."
The-CNN-Wire & 2018 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
Read the original post:
Best and worst diets for 2020, ranked by experts, with a popular one near last - KSL.com
- Why Is Weight Loss Still Part of Workplace Wellness? - Rewire.org - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Market by Type and Distribution Channel: Global Opportunity Analysis and Industry Forecast 2020-2025 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market Promising Growth Opportunities & Forecast 2018 to 2027 - News Times - February 27th, 2020
- Nothing Deceptive With Diet Drinks, Says the Ninth Circuit - Lexology - February 27th, 2020
- Heres Why Intermittent Fasting Is Suddenly So Popular in Philly, According to Nutrition Pros - phillymag.com - February 27th, 2020
- VMX features second well-being study | American Veterinary Medical Association - American Veterinary Medical Association - February 27th, 2020
- Market Intelligence Platform, Sensor Tower, Reveals the Top Performing Fitness, Nutrition and Health Apps in January 2020 - PRNewswire - February 27th, 2020
- Europe Weight Management Market Key Players, Applications, Outlook, SWOT Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market is expected to double its Market size in Upcoming Years | Kellogg, Body-Solid, Atkins... - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market by Growth, Application & Geography Analysis & Forecast to 2027 - The Cloud Tribune - February 27th, 2020
- Latest Research on the Report of Weight Loss Management Market by Growth, Future Business Trends and Forecast by 2025 - Jewish Life News - February 27th, 2020
- Ulcerative colitis linked to missing gut microbes - Hospital Healthcare Europe - February 27th, 2020
- Healthy Breakfast: 5 Diet Tips To Have A Calcium Rich Breakfast - NDTV Food - February 27th, 2020
- West Sussex mum who lost 11st and kept it off named Slimming Worlds Top Target Consultant 2020 - Worthing Herald - February 27th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2018 to 2027 - Instant Tech News - February 24th, 2020
- Oatmeal Nutrition and Health Benefits - Is Oatmeal Healthy? - GoodHousekeeping.com - February 24th, 2020
- COLUMN: Has your new years weight loss plan crashed? This could get you back on track. - ThoroldNews.com - February 24th, 2020
- A local dietician explains why you should drop the guilt when it comes to eating - SooToday - February 24th, 2020
- Two-thirds of adults in north-east overweight or obese - Aberdeen Evening Express - February 24th, 2020
- Pros and cons of the 'No Waste' diet trend - WESTERNMASSNEWS.com - February 18th, 2020
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: How It Works, Conditions, and More - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Weight Management Market 2020 by following top Manufacturers Herbalife, Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - February 18th, 2020
- Keto Diet and IBS: Can This Diet Help Treat Symptoms? - Healthline - February 18th, 2020
- Hughes to appeal three-day ban after disqualified winner at Carlisle - Racing TV - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size is anticipated to grow at higher rate in near future - Instant Tech News - February 18th, 2020
- Weight Loss: This Lip-Smacking Prawn Recipe Will Surely Add Taste To Your Lunch Diet - NDTV Food - February 18th, 2020
- How to count calories for weight loss and health - CNET - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Trends, Market Share, Industry Size, Opportunities, Analysis and Forecast by 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 17th, 2020
- The One Slow Cooker Recipe You Should Try This Week To Speed Up Weight Loss - SheFinds - February 17th, 2020
- Digital diabetes prevention program use tied to weight reduction among low-income patients with prediabetes - MobiHealthNews - February 17th, 2020
- What is refeeding and how is it better than cheat days? - Times of India - February 17th, 2020
- Friendships, pets, money, weight loss ... what makes you feel happier? - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Valuable Growth And Future Scenario Forecast 2020 2028 - Redhill Local Councillors - February 17th, 2020
- Eating your way to an early grave - Jamaica Observer - February 17th, 2020
- The Continuing Growth Story of Weight Loss Management Market? - Nyse Nasdaq Live - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Booming by Size, Revenue, Trend and Top Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 12th, 2020
- Drinking Lemon Water For Weight Loss And Other Myths Debunked - Medical Daily - February 12th, 2020
- Analysis: Why Digital Health Investors are Falling in Love with Femtech - HIT Consultant - February 12th, 2020
- Debating Diets: What is the DASH diet? - Baylor College of Medicine News - February 12th, 2020
- Boost Metabolism with These Safe Tips - Chicago Health - February 12th, 2020
- Mon Health diabetes prevention class aims to teach strategies on avoiding type 2 diabetes - WBOY.com - February 12th, 2020
- Robust Growth Of The Europe Weight Management Market Predicted Over The Forecast Periods 2007 2015 - TechNews.mobi - February 12th, 2020
- Goldman Sachs: These 3 Stocks Are Poised to Soar by at Least 15% - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- How nutrition education can make a difference to people with HIV in Nigeria - The Conversation Africa - February 12th, 2020
- Waist circumference is vital sign of health, experts say - Medical News Today - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian vs. Nutritionist: What's the Difference? - Healthline - February 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Innovative Technologies, Current And Future Trends, Revenue, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2029 - Sound... - February 12th, 2020
- What's the Mediterranean diet and how can it help me lose weight and feel better - ABC Life - February 12th, 2020
- Nutritionists Weigh in on How Drinking Green Tea Could Help with Weight Loss - FOX10 News - February 12th, 2020
- The good news is it's entirely possible to stop hating your body - The Sydney Morning Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Ninth Circuit Holds That Use of the Word Diet to Describe Soft Drinks Would Not Mislead Reasonable Consumer - JD Supra - February 8th, 2020
- How To Apply The 80-20 Rule To Weight Loss, According To Doctors - Women's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Sugar addict mum reveals incredible 6.5st weight loss WITHOUT giving up her fave treats - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- 13 Types of Beans - Different Kind of Beans List - Country Living - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 | Research, Opportunities, Emerging Trends, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts 2020-2026 - Instant... - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Alton Telegraph - February 8th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Market 2020 by Type, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast To 2024 - Galus Australis - February 8th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Growth Opportunities, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - TechNews.mobi - February 8th, 2020
- This Guy Dropped 80 Pounds by Sleeping More and Stressing Less - menshealth.com - February 8th, 2020
- Rapid response improves the recovery of scouring calves - Agriland - February 8th, 2020
- Experts say these are the most effective ways to lose weight after 50 - Thehour.com - February 6th, 2020
- French Biotech TargEDys Announces Positive Results of Its Clinical Trial With Its Probiotic Strain Hafnia alvei HA4597 on the Weight Loss Thanks to... - February 6th, 2020
- Latest Research report on Weight Management Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth by 2025 - Technology Magazine - February 6th, 2020
- 16 Tips For Losing Weight After 40, According To Experts - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market Size and Share over the forecast period 2019-2024 - Jewish Life News - February 6th, 2020
- Tracking Weight Loss on the OMAD Diet with a Withings Smart Scale - A Sweet Life - February 6th, 2020
- Shapa Health Partnering With a Large Healthcare Insurance Provider to Launch Cost-Effective Solution for Virtual Outpatient Weight Monitoring and... - February 6th, 2020
- 'When I Got Into Intermittent Fasting And Jump Rope Workouts, I Lost 83 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 6th, 2020
- Wrestlers cut and maintain weight in a healthy fashion - The Reflector Online - February 6th, 2020
- Type 2 Diabetes Apps Help With Modest Weight Loss, Review Finds - Everyday Health - February 6th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019 Analysis by Key Players, Share, Trend, Segmentation and Forecast to 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 6th, 2020
- Nonalcoholic Liver Disease 'an Epidemic of the 21st Century' - Medscape - February 6th, 2020
- I gave up Diet Coke for a month to see how it affected my body - Insider - INSIDER - February 6th, 2020
- Global Slimming Weight Management Market 2020: Which region will witness robust growth? - Weekly Wall - February 6th, 2020
- Celeb Nutritionist Shares Easy Breakfast Recipes That May Help Shed Kilos - NDTV Food - February 6th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Research Report, Growth Forecast 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - February 6th, 2020
- Worried About High BP? Mind Your Stress And Weight - Forbes India - February 6th, 2020
- Looking for a new diet in 2020? Check out these trendy and traditional choices - The Oakland Press - January 31st, 2020
- Science backing weight management ingredients promising but not overwhelming, panel participants agree - NutraIngredients-usa.com - January 31st, 2020
- In the news: Shilpa Malhotra - BayStateBanner - January 31st, 2020