February 01, 2020
LUMBERTON Since beginning an effort in 2017 to reduce readmissions at Southeastern Regional Medical Center, the hospital has seen its most recent readmission rate drop below the national benchmark, and by some measurements even cut in half.
Reducing the hospitals rate of patients readmitted within 30 days of their last acute or observational stay is a national priority of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Were very proud of the work done by our team to address this issue, said Lori Dove, vice president of Post Acute Care Services. Southeastern Healths vision for patients is to receive the highest quality care available in the most appropriate settings, whether it be at home, primary care offices, or skilled facilities.
The CMS calculates benchmark readmission rates for individual hospitals based on the total number of patients and the number of acute patients, and then creates a ratio that compares the expected number of readmission patients and the actual number of patients who are readmitted for acute or observational stays.
Dr. Harmohan Singh has been the physician leader of the project and instrumental in its success.
When the hospital started this effort, the most recent 30-day readmission data was slightly over 15%, Singh said. That figure had dropped tremendously in the last two years. Now its closer to 10%. In terms of raw numbers, we might have seen 160 readmissions each month in 2017, and now we are seeing about 80. Our ratio that the CMS calculates was 1.12 at the beginning of 2017, and at the end of 2019, that ratio was 0.78.
This is the second year that SRMC has maintained a readmission rate below the benchmark. In December 2018, the ratio was 0.94.
Suzanne Jackson, director of Population Health at Southeastern Health, applauded Singhs efforts on this issue, as well as the other people inside and outside Southeastern Health who have been working together to lower readmissions. News of SRMCs readmission rate changes have led Jackson to speak at conferences at the state and national level about SRMCs success in tackling this issue.
This milestone is due to a physician-led quality initiative using system resources, including hospitalists, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation, specialty clinics, skilled nursing facilities, the transitional care team, the Care Coordination department, diabetes education, emergency services, and community-based resources such as home health agencies, hospice agencies, transportation and spiritual networks, Jackson said. But the main driver from 2017 to date has been the physician-led peer-to-peer collaboration on a daily basis.
Singh begins by reviewing all the readmissions to the hospital each day.
I would find the barriers that had pushed them back into the hospital, Singh said. Perhaps they couldnt get their medicine, or go to a primary care visit, or there was a lack of support, and so on. Id analyze each admission, and wed put parameters in place, making changes as we went along. This started in March of 2017, and by June we started to see the rate go down.
Jackson said identifying the team to find the barriers was one step, followed by not allowing barriers to be excuses for lack of care. For example, if a patient had trouble getting medicine, the team would make the effort to see if the patient could qualify for charity care on their medication, or trade it out for a cheaper prescription. Here Southeastern Healths chronic care managers played a large role, for instance by helping patients get medications delivered to their homes, and by working with external resources to identify alternatives to the higher priced medications. Jackson said diabetic nurses have also been important in this process.
We started asking why instead of assuming, Jackson said. We learned from those questions and took more care at discharge, finding ways to offset barriers at the point of initiation. There was a learning curve, and theres still a lot of barriers, but our goal is to continue to include more community partnerships and collaborate with physician networks to grow our ability to overcome those barriers.
- Weight loss shock: Woman shed 3st and carved toned abs in just eight weeks with this diet - Express - March 30th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy at Home During the Coronavirus Lockdown - EcoWatch - March 30th, 2020
- We can get through this: How to manage your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic - MarketWatch - March 30th, 2020
- Have a headache? The top 7 triggers - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - March 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the cheap breakfast juice to lower your chances of hypertension - Express - March 30th, 2020
- Wellness Tools: Good Food, Exercise, And Gratitude - Outlook India - March 30th, 2020
- Trials find invasive surgery is no better than medication at reducing heart attack risk - News-Medical.Net - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of the L.A. Chargers' Austin Ekeler, Whos Streaming His Workouts Like a Gamer - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Danny Trejo, Who's Banging Out Two-a-Days In Isolation - GQ - March 30th, 2020
- Diet and Exercise: Choices Today for a Healthier Tomorrow - March 27th, 2020
- How to Stay Healthy (and Sane) While You Ride Out COVID-19 - Men's Journal - March 27th, 2020
- Get the Facts on Eating for Health And Boosting Your Immune System Naturally - Brownsville Herald - March 27th, 2020
- How essential oils can boost immunity and support health - ABC 4 - March 27th, 2020
- How to stay healthy at home during the coronavirus lockdown - DW (English) - March 27th, 2020
- Make the glass half full - Leadercourier-times.com - March 27th, 2020
- Working from home, Part 3: Managing the challenges of teleworking with kids at home - The Lane Report - March 27th, 2020
- Beating Covid-19: Risk avoidance and better health and diet solution - Bangkok Post - March 27th, 2020
- The secrets of the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- So is the diet with which Adele has lost more than 45 kilos - Play Crazy Game - March 27th, 2020
- With games on hold, Michigan's health and welfare team takes charge - The Athletic - March 27th, 2020
- 10 Ways to Stick With Your Weight-Loss Goals When Youre Stuck at Home - LIVESTRONG.COM - March 27th, 2020
- My Diet To Beat The Lockdown Blues - Outlook India - March 27th, 2020
- 21-Day Lockdown: 10 Diet And Workout Tips That You Can Follow - NDTV News - March 26th, 2020
- An Exclusive With Dr. Sailaja Reddy on Building Immunity Through Diet and Exercise In Response to Coronavirus - India New England - March 26th, 2020
- Exercising discretion over lockdown rules - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Take It In: Control weight with meal timing, exercise - The Triton - March 26th, 2020
- 10-minute core and abs home workout to keep you fit during this lockdown - Times of India - March 26th, 2020
- 8 Health Benefits Of Cherries, According To Nutritionists - Women's Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating Tofu And Plant Based Foods Is Associated With Lower Risk Of Heart Disease - Bel Marra Health - March 26th, 2020
- Eating tofu linked to a lower risk of heart disease, says study - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 26th, 2020
- Is takeout safe right now? Should we do laundry daily? Sherrill and experts field pandemic questions in telephone town hall - Morristown Green - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood? Analyze the diet with the that Adele she lost 45 pounds - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- High Blood Pressure: Here's How Walking Can Help You Fight Hypertension; Other Tips To Lower Blood Pressure Numbers - Doctor NDTV - March 26th, 2020
- Many Young Athletes With Exercise-Induced Laryngeal Obstruction Are Misdiagnosed - Bicycling - March 26th, 2020
- 'My heartthrob days are over': Joe Wicks on health, happiness and training the nation - The Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- Maintaining Your Wellbeing During Times of Stress - News Of The Area - March 26th, 2020
- What is the diet sirtfood; the diet of Adele - Play Crazy Game - March 26th, 2020
- Understanding acute and chronic inflammation - Harvard Health - March 21st, 2020
- How to Workout and Train Effectively on a Vegan or Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - March 21st, 2020
- 5 Most Common Reasons People Give Up On Their Diet - Taste Terminal - March 21st, 2020
- Food: Seven reasons you're not losing weight - HeraldScotland - March 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus: Stuck at home? Heres what mental health experts say you should do to take care of your emotiona - MassLive.com - March 21st, 2020
- 'Wake up, millennials: Now is the time to prioritize your mental health,' therapist says of coronavirus pandemic - CNBC - March 21st, 2020
- Ring the Alarm: COVID-19 Presents Grave Danger to Communities of Color - Colorlines - March 21st, 2020
- COVID-19: Fitness experts offer advice for fighting off the Quarantine 15 - Peace River Record Gazette - March 21st, 2020
- Keeping the heart healthy - sidneydailynews.com - March 21st, 2020
- How to boost your immune system and fight the coronavirus - Christian Post - March 21st, 2020
- High blood pressure: This simple exercise has been linked to lower blood pressure - Express - March 21st, 2020
- Immunity boosters to make you #CoronaSafe - Times of India - March 21st, 2020
- Build your immunity and take some control with tips from wellness experts - Buffalo News - March 21st, 2020
- Working Out on Keto: All You Need to Know - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Foods that beat fatigue: What to eat and other diet tips - Medical News Today - March 19th, 2020
- Exercise at Home to Avoid the Gym During COVID-19 Outbreak - Healthline - March 19th, 2020
- Treating Schizophrenia with Individualized Care - TippNews DAILY - March 19th, 2020
- Participants named in Go Red for Women heart-health makeover - Rome Sentinel - March 19th, 2020
- Health and Beauty News: Practice these diet tips to save your waistline during self isolation - Euro Weekly News - March 19th, 2020
- The most effective method to get thinner and get fit in 2020: 20 simple tips, diet hacks and exercise schedules to assist you with beginning - Globe... - March 19th, 2020
- 12 Burning Questions About Intermittent Fasting, Answered - Everyday Health - March 19th, 2020
- How Exercise Reduces Cabin Fever (Plus Home Workouts to Get Started) - BarBend - March 19th, 2020
- Nutrition For Women: Should It Be Different? - iAfrica.com - March 19th, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar: How much of the tonic should you drink to burn fat fast? - Express - March 19th, 2020
- Increase in cases of colorectal cancer in young adults - Medical News Bulletin - March 19th, 2020
- Ways To Boost Your Immunity On A Plant-Based Diet - Plant Based News - March 19th, 2020
- How to lose water weight and lead a healthier lifestyle - Business Insider Australia - March 19th, 2020
- Work From Home Tips: Beat The Laziness With These Tips To Stick To Your Health Routine By Nmami Agarwal - Doctor NDTV - March 19th, 2020
- 5 Ways to Manage Stress During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - March 19th, 2020
- Sports Nutrition in 2020: Plant proteins and beyond - Nutritional Outlook - March 19th, 2020
- Obesity is a chronic disease: heres how to fight it - Philippine Star - March 19th, 2020
- The Workout Routine and Intuitive Diet of a CrossFitter Turned World Champ Weightlifter - POPSUGAR - March 15th, 2020
- Weight loss: Burn belly fat and carve six pack abs in these six steps - what can you do? - Express - March 15th, 2020
- The best foods to boost your immune system and how to get more of them into your diet - Telegraph.co.uk - March 15th, 2020
- Even if you are virus-free, COVID-19 is affecting your health. Here's what to do - Scope - March 15th, 2020
- Forget expensive creams, its healthy living that can make your skin glow - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - March 15th, 2020
- What is OMAD diet: Why eating one meal a day isn't recommended by experts - Insider - INSIDER - March 15th, 2020
- Vance AFB upgrades health protection condition in face of coronavirus - Moore American - March 15th, 2020
- Sticking to cardiac rehab boosts survival chances after a heart attack - Medical News Today - March 15th, 2020
- 325th Fighter Wing Commander Declaration of HPCON A - WJHG-TV - March 15th, 2020
- A healthy diet can reverse the bad effects of smoking, stress - Free Malaysia Today - March 15th, 2020
- A nutritionists guide to a better nights sleep - Evening Standard - March 15th, 2020
- What is considered obese and why it doesn't always mean poor health - Business Insider Australia - March 15th, 2020