When you decide its time to live a healthier lifestyle, youre likely to get better long-term results if you start improving your diet and increasing physical activity at the same time.
It may seem better to improve just one thing at a time. But while you dont have to make drastic changes overnight, a new study suggests that its best to begin by bettering both your nutrition and your activity level.
This gives me hope that making two changes at the same time can work, says Kathy McManus, director of the nutrition department at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Womens Hospital.
The study, from Stanford University researcher Abby King and colleagues, enrolled 200 people over age 44 whose diets and physical-activity levels were well below healthy standards. They were hoping to improve their lifestyles, but were not specifically trying to lose weight.
Study participants were randomly assigned to one of four groups:
For all groups, the exercise goal was to increase moderate-to-vigorous physical activity to 150 minutes (two and a half hours) each week. The diet goal was to get five to nine daily servings of fruits and vegetables and to reduce saturated fats to 10% of total calories consumed.
What happened? The control group met none of these goals. Those in the diet-first group met their dietary goals. Those in the exercise-first group met their activity goal. But only those in the simultaneous group met both goals.
On the other hand, nobody lost significant weight. Many of us are trying to do that, also, McManus says. We dont know how this would play out if the focus of lifestyle change were on weight loss.
Lifestyle change is very hard to do by oneself. Most people need counseling and encouragement. McManus praises the Stanford study for providing much-needed data on how healthcare providers can help people achieve lifestyle change. However, she notes that every individual has his or her own lifestyle and needs an individualized approach to changing it.
The patient is really the expert in his or her own self-change. We are experts in medicine, but patients are experts on their own behavior, McManus says. We elicit dialog around that, building on any successful changes theyve made in the past. And we develop connections about what matters to them and why it matters, understanding and empathizing with what they will miss if they leave out, say, the high-sodium snacks theyve been eating.
It doesnt work merely to tell people what they must do, what they need to do, or what they should do.
We use phrases such as, Other folks have found, Some have benefitted from, and You might consider, she says. Once patients feel listened to they are more open to what you have to say.
Over time, McManus says, people place more importance on healthy behaviors and become more confident in their ability to make changes.
Without confidence, behavior change chances are slim, she says. We go from that, to where the individual is driving his or her own intervention and behavior change.
See more here:
Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ...
- Diet For Stress: Try These Vitamin-Rich Foods And Drinks To Get Rid Of Stress And Anxiety - NDTV News - November 20th, 2019
- Alfred Dawes | Are you really on a diet? - Jamaica Gleaner - November 20th, 2019
- Does it run in the family? How to create a family health portrait - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - November 20th, 2019
- Kiara Advani Workout & Diet: Exercise Routine of Indian Film Actress That Makes Her One of the Hottest Diva in Bollywood (Watch Videos) - Herald... - November 20th, 2019
- Living with chronic illness: Why some cope and others don't - Knowable Magazine - November 20th, 2019
- I tried a juice cleanse for two days and the amount of times I had to poo was staggering - woman&home - November 20th, 2019
- Elite Athletes Are Going Vegan. Will It Help You? - EcoWatch - November 20th, 2019
- Studies Prove Eating This Amount Of Calories Help You Increase Life Expectancy - International Business Times - November 20th, 2019
- 10 Potential Benefits of Kombucha - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2019
- Study finds the top holiday treats that cause Americans to abandon their diets - Yahoo News UK - November 20th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Include these three drinks in your diet to lower your reading - Express - November 20th, 2019
- 12 Anti-Aging Tips That Really Work - Newsmax - November 20th, 2019
- Stop medicalising loneliness history reveals it's society that needs mending - The Conversation UK - November 20th, 2019
- This is the least stressful way to get rid of stress - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 20th, 2019
- Advice about taking aspirin and statins after age 75 - Harvard Health - November 20th, 2019
- Recommendations to help manage five common holiday-related stressors - News-Medical.net - November 20th, 2019
- The diet and diabetes connect - The New Indian Express - November 20th, 2019
- 5 Common Holiday Stressors and How to Manage Them - Newswise - November 20th, 2019
- Hayling musician determined to fight Parkinson's will appear on stage at Island concert - Portsmouth News - November 20th, 2019
- Wondering How to Cut 500 Calories a Day? Make These 5 Easy Swaps - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 20th, 2019
- What Science Tells Us About Preventing Dementia - The Wall Street Journal - November 18th, 2019
- 'I Tried The Keto Diet And Lost 75 Pounds In Less Than A Year' - Women's Health - November 18th, 2019
- Star fitness specialist gives his top tips on burning belly fat without going to the gym - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best time to eat breakfast to slim down and lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Elite Athletes Are Going Vegan. Will It Help You? - Healthline - November 18th, 2019
- Things you need to know if youre raising your infant as a vegan - Marin Independent Journal - November 18th, 2019
- Does it run in the family? How to create a family health portrait - The Baxter Bulletin - November 18th, 2019
- What to eat (and avoid) if you're trying lose weight - National Post - November 18th, 2019
- Ask Jillian Michaels: I want to exercise more, but it's so difficult for me to overcome my natural laziness. How do you stay motivated every day to... - November 18th, 2019
- Why Improving physical health reflects on your mental well-being - Thrive Global - November 18th, 2019
- How to get rid of visceral fat: Best diet plan to reduce the belly fat - what foods to eat - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Weight loss: Superfood revealed that can help slimmers head to the gym - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: The Mediterranean vegetable proven to lower blood sugar - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Balanced diet, exercise advised to ward off diabetes - The News International - November 18th, 2019
- The best abs workout: the only 6 exercises you need to get a six-pack - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 18th, 2019
- Diabetes Diet: Travel Healthy With These 5 Foods If You Are A Diabetic - NDTV Food - November 18th, 2019
- DNA Nudge app review: can this wristband tell you the best diet for your genes? - The Times - November 18th, 2019
- Inactive older adults can lower heart disease risk by ramping up exercise: study - National Post - November 18th, 2019
- Diabetes: Family support is key in managing the illness - The New Times - November 18th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Include this snack in your diet to lower your reading - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Eating and exercise: 5 tips to maximize your workouts ... - November 9th, 2019
- The Advantages of Diet & Exercise | Healthfully - October 20th, 2019
- 4 Best Types of Exercise on the Keto Diet | Natural Healthy - October 12th, 2019
- Flat Belly Diet Drink | Lose Belly Fat in 1 Week | No Diet ... - October 12th, 2019
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017