Overweight and obese women -- defined as having a BMI (body mass index) over 25 -- have a higher risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer compared to women who maintain a healthy weight, especially after menopause. Being overweight also can increase the risk of the breast cancer coming back (recurrence) in women who have had the disease.
This higher risk is because fat cells make estrogen; extra fat cells mean more estrogen in the body, and estrogen can make hormone-receptor-positive breast cancers develop and grow.
Still, the link between extra weight and breast cancer is complicated and affected by other factors. For example, the location of the extra weight matters. Extra fat around yourbelly may increase risk more than the same amount of extra fat around your thighs or hips.
Losing weight can be harder as you get older, but it can be done with careful changes to your diet and regular exercise. The first thing to do is to talk to your doctor about a healthy weight for you based on your age, height, body type, and activity level. Next,talk to your doctor about a safe and sensible plan to lose weight designed specifically for you and your needs.
Many people believe that if you eat fewer calories than you burn each day, youll lose weight, and if you eat the same number of calories that youll burn, youll maintain a healthy weight. This plan works for many people, but not all.
If youre counting calories, its important to think about what youre eating. Say Jane eats 1,200 calories a day of cake, cookies and white bread. Shes probably not going to lose any weight. Betty eats 1,200 calories a day of fresh vegetables and fruit and lean protein. Shes probably going to lose some weight and get a lot more nutrients from her food. Counting calories is only part of the weight loss equation.
And counting calories is only one way to lose weight. Because the hormone insulin plays a major role in how your body uses and stores fat, some research suggests that eating foods that keep insulin levels steady throughout the day lean meat and fish, poultry, vegetables, and fruit -- rather than foods like sugar, candy, white bread and crackers can help you maintain a healthy weight.
Breastcancer.org Chief Medical Officer Marisa Weiss, M.D. says, "It can be hard to get enthusiastic about losing weight if you've had limited success in the past. Sometimes success can depend on how you think about losing weight: learn the steps that give you the biggest bang for your buck and reframe your feelings and attitudes about hurdles in your path. Here are just a few examples. You can turn progress into failure with a common misconception: eating and exercise are equally important for weight loss. In fact, 80% of weight loss is what you eat and drink. Only 20% relates to exercise. Don't get caught thinking they're 50/50 partners: a 400 calorie slice of cheesecake that takes 5 minutes (or less) to eat would take hours on the treadmill to burn off. You also have to be prepared to give up cooking methods that may be part of your family traditions (like deep-fried chicken or adding cheese to all your vegetables) and change old 'harmless' habits (like tasting while you cook or eating raw dough when you bake). It's important to be open to new foods, including those that you're sure you hate (like the tomatoes and fish you hated as a kid). Give them another chance as an adult. There are so many healthy options out there that will help you accomplish your goals. Once you get your game on, you'll feel so much better."
Create a healthy eating plan and an exercise plan. Once you have the OK from your doctor and a weight goal, you can create a healthy eating plan that meets your nutritional needs. You may want to talk to a registered dietitian about how to create a healthy eating plan that's tailored to your specific needs and likes.
If you're unable to work directly with a registered dietitian, you have someother options. Computer programs and online tools can help you further analyze whatyou eat. They go beyond whether or not you're getting enough of a specificnutrient. Some of them might even make recommendations about how much ofspecific foods you should eat per day and track your eating and nutrientpatterns over time.
Exercise is such an important part of daily life that the United States Department of Agriculture said that all people should meet the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans in the Appendix of the 2015-20 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Regular exercise helps reduce breast cancer risk. And the American Cancer Society recommends that women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer exercise regularly (about 5 hours per week) to improve their quality of life and physical fitness, as well as to reduce the risk of developing new cancers. Research shows that women who exercise the equivalent of walking 3 to 5 hours per week at an average pace after being diagnosed with breast cancer may improve their chances of surviving the disease.
There's no magic bullet or single food that will make you lose weight quickly. In fact, the safest way to lose weight is to do it slowly -- about a pound a week.
The United States Department of Agriculture 2015-20 Dietary Guidelines forAmericans recommend:
The guidelines also recommend eating a variety ofnutrient-dense foods across all food groups, including:
Here are some tips to make your diet nutritious and help you lose weight:
How toeat healthywhen you eat out at restaurants:
For more information on healthy eating, dietary supplements, and nutrition resources, visit the Breastcancer.org Nutrition section.
Think Pink, Live Green: A Step-by-Step Guide to Reducing Your Risk of Breast Cancer teaches you the biology of breast development and how modern life affects breast cancer risk. Order a free booklet by mail or download the PDF of the booklet to learn 31 risk-reducing steps you can take today.
Being Overweight - breastcancer.org
- Intuitive Eating to Lose Weight: Your Set Point First - Thrive Global - December 10th, 2019
- Incredible weight loss stories happen here - KGUN - December 10th, 2019
- Weight loss: 5 ways to lose your facial face - Times of India - December 10th, 2019
- Want to lose weight? Diet and exercise are not enough - TheHealthSite - December 10th, 2019
- George Foreman says excess weight will cost Andy Ruiz Jr. in rematch vs. Anthony Joshua - USA TODAY - December 10th, 2019
- Rice and beans, no chocolate and fast walking: the secrets of Kate Garraways midlife body - Telegraph.co.uk - December 10th, 2019
- 25 Inspiring Weight-Loss Transformation Before And Afters - Women's Health - December 10th, 2019
- Unexplained weight loss? Heres what the cause could be - All4Women - December 10th, 2019
- Health and Wellness: How to eat right for weight loss : SDV - The Standard - December 10th, 2019
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 25 kgs by combining these two smart diet hacks sans the gym - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 10th, 2019
- Is Eliminating Sugar the Only "Diet" We Should Be Taking Seriously? - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 10th, 2019
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 42 kgs by implementing these changes in his life instead of dieting - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 10th, 2019
- Study reveals maintaining lost weight more important than losing more - Devdiscourse - December 10th, 2019
- Shed those pounds, and get rid of unwanted hair with the team at Cratos Health - FOX21News.com - December 10th, 2019
- Australian woman reveals how being overweight affected her sex life and how she lost 63kg - 7NEWS.com.au - December 10th, 2019
- Courageous Henlow man who lost both legs and an arm in explosion will take part in Invictus Games - Biggleswade Today - December 10th, 2019
- To Lose Weight, Cut the Fad Diets and Stick to the Basics, Expert Says - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - December 6th, 2019
- Do these 5 things at every meal to lose weight - New York Post - December 6th, 2019
- The Biggest Loser Revamp is About Being Healthy, Not Losing Weight - Screen Rant - December 6th, 2019
- Weight loss surgery enables a Pinehurst banker to be both half and twice the woman she used to be - Sandhill Sentinel - December 6th, 2019
- Jenna Jameson Says She Gained 20 Lbs. After Taking a Break from Keto to 'Live My Best Carby Life' - PEOPLE Great Ideas - December 6th, 2019
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was 'humbled' by struggle to lose baby weight - Page Six - December 6th, 2019
- Not Seeing Results With Keto? This M.D. Says "Sneaky Carbs" May Be To Blame - mindbodygreen.com - December 6th, 2019
- Ajwain water for weight loss: Heres how you should prepare it for better results - Times of India - December 6th, 2019
- How to lose weight and get fit like this 43-year-old Ironman triathlete and open water swimmer - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 6th, 2019
- From the editor: Finding the best weight management products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - December 6th, 2019
- Boxing: Joshua Lightens the Load as Ruiz Jr Piles on the Pounds - The New York Times - December 6th, 2019
- McDonald's McFlurry Bulldog from Walsall scoops top prize in slimming contest - Birmingham Live - December 6th, 2019
- Eat all daily meals 'within 10 hours' to shed weight - The Times - December 6th, 2019
- Where Does Protein Fit in a New Year Diet? - Technology Networks - December 5th, 2019
- Weight loss: One woman lost a remarkable six stone with this plan - what did she eat? - Express - December 5th, 2019
- 5 Medical Conditions That Cause Weight Loss Without Trying - International Business Times - December 5th, 2019
- 'I Joined Weight Watchers After A Devastating MiscarriageAnd I Found My Joy And Confidence Again' - Women's Health - December 5th, 2019
- Is High-Protein Diet Beneficial For All Of Us? The Answer Will Surprise You - NDTV Food - December 5th, 2019
- Katie Price 'loses a stone in two weeks' and is 'barely eating' over bankruptcy stress - Mirror Online - December 5th, 2019
- Poha for weight loss: The delicious and healthy snack for quick weight loss - Times of India - December 5th, 2019
- Gemma Collins reveals secret to 3st weight loss is storing her food shop in the boot of her car - The Sun - December 5th, 2019
- Weight change between pregnancies is linked to having premature and large at birth babies - Mirage News - December 5th, 2019
- Five Ways To Build Your Innovation Muscles In The New Year - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Fitness facilities have the potential to 'be the leading providers of weight loss solutions' - Australasian Leisure Management - December 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight in 6 months like this guy who lost 32 kgs by following an easy cardio routine - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 5th, 2019
- Eating your last meal at 2pm may help to lose weight 'because it suppresses appetite' - Stock Daily Dish - December 5th, 2019
- Portland in the snow, in a wheelchair - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - December 5th, 2019
- Gym routines you should adopt during the festive season - The Standard - December 5th, 2019
- MAFS star Jules on getting married and losing - NEWS.com.au - December 5th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Drinking this type of water could lower blood sugar - Express - December 5th, 2019
- My 600-lb Life: What Happened to Annjeannette Whaley and Vianey & Allen? Where Are They Now? - Earn The Necklace - December 5th, 2019
- Experience: I had apple cider vinegar every morning for 56 days, and this is what happened - Firstpost - December 5th, 2019
- The Christmas Ad That Rode Off With 9% Of Pelotons Share Value - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Nutritional fact or fiction? Everything meal replacement companies hope you'll take their word for - Dailyuw - December 2nd, 2019
- Brain receptor that regulates body temperature may also be the key to rapid weight loss - News-Medical.net - December 2nd, 2019
- Best supplements for joints: Taking this supplement could significantly reduce joint pain - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: Six ways to speed up fat loss & the best portion sizes to shed pounds - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- Its not hard to eat healthy around the holidays - The Columbus Dispatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: This easy plan will help you burn belly fat according to personal trainer - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- 10 ways to tell your partner to lose weight without hurting them - The Nation Newspaper - December 2nd, 2019
- Tips on eating healthy around the holidays - Massillon Independent - December 2nd, 2019
- Want Real Weight Loss? Here Are Three Things You Should Give Up - Medical Daily - December 2nd, 2019
- What Motivated 'Good Morning America's' Tory Johnson To Lose 62 Pounds - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 2nd, 2019
- 1st Gen Idol Kim Hyung Jun Of Taesaja Talks About Job As A Delivery Person And His Happiness - soompi - December 2nd, 2019
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 36 kgs by eliminating these three things from his diet - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 2nd, 2019
- Protein-Rich Diet: Is It Harmful For People With Kidney Problems? This Study Finds Out - NDTV Food - December 2nd, 2019
- Sizing Up Your Mental Health - Thrive Global - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: I lost 10st after getting so fat I got wedged in a seat on the Tube to work - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- This is an interesting way to lose weight in winter - News Track English - December 2nd, 2019
- Younger Women Should Start Now to Defend Against Heart Attacks - catcountry1073.com - December 2nd, 2019
- From Weight-Loss to Wellness: Has The Diet Really Died? - The Bull and Bear - December 2nd, 2019
- To Your Good Health: A flu shot is the best way to prevent the flu - Arizona Daily Star - December 2nd, 2019
- Brush your teeth not twice, but thrice a day: Experts say it may help cut heart failure risk by 12% - Economic Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: Top tips to lose weight by improving your digestion - Express - November 28th, 2019
- Aaron Washer Update on My 600 Lb. Life - Heavy.com - November 28th, 2019
- Experts offer tips to avoid gaining that holiday weight - Summit Daily News - November 28th, 2019
- Enjoy the holiday feast; unless you're a wrestler cutting weight - Post Register - November 28th, 2019
- How to lose weight & build muscles like this guy who followed an easy yet quantifiable regime to get ripped - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 28th, 2019
- An Increasing Number of Americans Weigh 200 Poundsand Say They Are OK With It - Newsweek - November 28th, 2019
- Holly Willoughby weight loss: How did the daytime TV star trim down? - Express.co.uk - November 28th, 2019
- Waitress loses 125lbs to fulfil her grandfather's dying wish - Somerset Live - November 28th, 2019
- Losing almost 12 stone cured my diabetes... and saved my life - The Sunday Post - November 28th, 2019
- Alfred Dawes | Severe obesity: The harsh truth | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - November 28th, 2019
- Technology Advances in Reducing Lower Back Pain - HealthTechZone - November 28th, 2019