Balanced diet, exercise advised to ward off diabetes
LAHORE:Expressing concern over rapid increase in diabetes in Pakistan, medical experts have advised balanced diet, regular exercise, appropriate medication and prevention from risk factors to ward off the disease.
They were speaking in a seminar on The Family and Diabetes held here in a hotel under the aegis of Mir Khalil-ur-Rahman Memorial Society (MKRMS) - Jang Group of Newspapers, in collaboration with Medical Unit-III, Lahore General Hospital and Barrett Hodgson Pakistan in connection with World Diabetes Day.
Punjab Health Minister Prof Dr Yasmin Rashid termed it a matter of grave concern that Pakistan was ranked 5th or 6th with regard to prevalence of diabetes in the world, adding that sedentary lifestyle, bad eating habits and lack of exercise were triggering points of diabetes. As diabetes is a congenital disease, she said it also adversely affected the newborns health. She said that diabetes was a mother of all diseases as it affected every limb and organ of the body, saying that the Punjab government was doing everything to improve facilities at DHQ and THQ hospitals to provide specialised treatment to the patients in their hometowns.
University of Health Sciences Vice-Chancellor Prof Dr Javed Akram said that approximately 35 million people were diabetic in Pakistan, adding that the burden of this disease would double in the next 25 years.
He said that approximately 420 million people were suffering from diabetes all over the world and nearly 8 million people succumb to this disease. He said that once person contracts diabetes then he or she has to live with it for life. The obesity is increasing in Pakistan, which is one of the major causes of diabetes, he said, adding that precautionary measures must be adopted to prevent diabetes.
King Edward Medical University Vice-Chancellor Prof Dr Khalid Masood Gondal pointed out that quacks were largely responsible for spreading diabetes among the people, saying that there was no truth in cable TV ads claiming to root out diabetes once and for all. The patients must see a qualified physician, he added. Post Graduate Medical Institute/Lahore General Hospital Principal and Chief Organiser Prof Dr Sardar Muhammad Al-Fareed Zafar informed that an Endocrine Ward was being established in Lahore General Hospital, where all complications of Endocrinology would be treated. He said that diabetes cant be cured but it can be controlled through precautionary measures and healthy lifestyle.
Head of Medical Unit-III, LGH, Prof Dr Tahir Siddique apprised the people of the diabetes complications, prevention and control with a view to living a healthy life despite carrying the disease.
Dr Imran Hasan, Associate Professor of Medicine LGH, stressed to regularly check their sugar. Those diabetics, who do not check their diabetes, face difficulties in treatment of their disease, he added.
Prof Dr Saqib Siddique, Professor of Gynae, emphasised on people to use fresh vegetables and fruits and desist from using white flour and white sugar to prevent the disease. Head of Paediatrics, LGH, Prof Dr Agha Shabbir Ali said that around 70,000 children were being diagnosed diabetics every year in Pakistan, adding that there was a need for proper counselling of parents for prevention, control and treatment of diabetes among their children.
Prof Dr Muhammad Moin, Professor of Ophthalmology, LGH, said that diabetes affected the eyesight; therefore, he advised diabetics to get their eyes examined periodically.
Head of Surgical and Allied Unit, LGH, Prof Dr Farooq Afzal, said that every fifth person was diabetic, the disease can be avoided through healthy lifestyle. He said that the people must avoid fried food, and include fruits and vegetables in their food along with daily exercise. He said that obesity was a major cause of diabetes, saying that men having waist above 35 inches and women having waist above 31 inches become vulnerable to diabetes. Head of Pulmonology, LGH, Prof Dr Khalid Waheed said that diabetes caused lungs TB. If it is not treated timely, then TB turns into multi-drug resistant TB, he added. Presenting vote of thanks, Senior Regional Manager Barrett Hodgson Pakistan Rahat Mughal said that pharmaceutical company, ranked among top 15 companies, regularly conducted awareness programmes among the general public.
Besides, Head of Neurology, LGH Prof Dr Mohsin Zaheer, Endocrinologist Dr Maleeha Hameed, Dr Aurangzeb Afzal, Adviser to Health Minister Prof Javed Chaudhry, Dr Kashif Aziz also spoke on the occasion.
MKRMS Chairman Wasif Nagi conducted the seminar, while Khaleeq Hamid recited verses from Holy Quran and Naat-e-Rasool (PBUH).
Go here to read the rest:
Balanced diet, exercise advised to ward off diabetes - The News International
- How to live longer - the simple and exotic diet plan to prevent an early death - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Does Diet And Gut Bacteria Contribute To Arteries Aging? - Anti Aging News - July 7th, 2020
- Causes of Constipation and How to Relieve Constipation - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Mark Wahlberg Was Only Supposed to Be Plant-Based for 12 Days. Now Its His Lifestyle. - menshealth.com - July 7th, 2020
- Me and my health: Lady Mary Peters on her lifestyle - Belfast Telegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Justin Bieber Posts Birthday Tribute to Post Malone While Remembering Breonna Taylor on the 4th of July - Billboard - July 7th, 2020
- Our Opinion: Proceed with care in opening schools - Greensboro News & Record - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: This Morning host Holly Willoughby stays in shape with simple trick - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Morning fitness challenge: Begin your day with this exercise to stay fit and healthy - Times Now - July 7th, 2020
- What you need to know about the lymphatic system the new frontier of wellness - Telegraph.co.uk - July 7th, 2020
- Trump administration vows to work 'hand in hand' with local governments to reopen schools amid coronavirus - Fox News - July 7th, 2020
- How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Can eating chocolates make you fat? Here is a fact-check - Times of India - July 7th, 2020
- Shirtless Justin Bieber calls on people to amp up their fitness routines: Gonna go hard this month - PINKVILLA - July 7th, 2020
- LSHTM to play key role in ground-breaking new study into long-term health impacts of coronavirus - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- Breast cancer treatment may be less effective in obese women - TheHealthSite - July 7th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: The refreshing drink proven to stabilise blood sugar levels - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Five at-home exercises for ripped abs, according to a personal trainer - Daily Star - July 7th, 2020
- New national study into long-term health impacts of COVID-19 launched - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- What Is The Body Reset Diet By Harley Pasternak? How It Works - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Andrew Thomas is Prepping for His First NFL Season with Burritos, Zoom Meetings, and Piano Breaks. - GQ - July 4th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has a Personal Stake in Fighting Obesity - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Is brown bread good for weight loss? - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Training your body for surgery may improve recovery, reduce complications - HalifaxToday.ca - July 4th, 2020
- Covid has caused many changes in our lives. But there is one thing it has altered daily diet - The Financial Express - July 4th, 2020
- Why Every Person Reacts Differently to Diets - Bicycling - July 4th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Giants Offensive Lineman Andrew Thomas, the No. 4 Pick in This Year's Draft - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson Is Reportedly Using the Mayr Method to Lose Weight, But Is It Healthy? - Prevention.com - July 4th, 2020
- Experts Offer Advice For Getting Back To Healthy Habits Changed By COVID-19 Pandemic - CBS New York - July 4th, 2020
- Hiatal Hernia Yoga, Exercise and Lifestyle Changes To Reduce The Risk of Hiatal Hernia - NJ MMA News - July 4th, 2020
- Exercising with Type 1 Diabetes: The Insulin-Food Balance Challenge - Diabetes In Control - July 4th, 2020
- 'I Did Keto For A Year Then Switched To A Higher-Carb DietAnd I Lost 135 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years' - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 21 kilos without going to gym and by simply following Intermittent Fasting! - Times of India - July 4th, 2020
- Every Person Reacts Differently to DietsHeres Why - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Beginner In Exercising? Here Are Some Important Points To Note And A Basic Workout To Start With - NDTV Doctor - July 4th, 2020
- ExpertSpeak: Effects Of PCOS On Fertility And Its Treatment Options - Femina - July 4th, 2020
- Assessing the Outcomes of a Brief Nutrition Education Intervention Among Division I Football Student-Athletes at Moderate Altitude - United States... - July 4th, 2020
- You Are What You Eat: Nutritional Mythbusting - Varsity Online - July 4th, 2020
- Working on the laptop all day? Try this one exercise regularly to avoid eye strain - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight? The Surprising Truth - July 1st, 2020
- Fitness for Diabetes: How Diet and Exercise Can Help You - July 1st, 2020
- 7 things you may be doing that can prevent weight loss - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Mayr method diet: What is the Viva Mayr diet plan? - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- American Cancer Societys updated diet and physical activity guidelines to help lower cancer risk - The Globe and Mail - July 1st, 2020
- Exercising On An Empty Stomach: What Experts Think - Medical Daily - July 1st, 2020
- Former Mr. Texas is Transforming the C-Suite - D Magazine - July 1st, 2020
- Christina Anstead Reveals She's Getting Back to Work on Her HGTV Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 1 breakfast fruit juice to protect against deadly hypertension - Express - July 1st, 2020
- High cholesterol: Four biggest habits to stop to lower levels and best food to include - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Jenni Murray: I hate the diet industry. Its caused me misery - The Guardian - July 1st, 2020
- Thrive patch: Does it help with weight loss? - Medical News Today - July 1st, 2020
- 2 R.I. hospitals to take part in big Alzheimers study - The Providence Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Green tea: Best time to drink healthy beverage for quick weight loss results - Express - June 30th, 2020
- More Than One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Metabolic Syndrome - Healthline - June 30th, 2020
- 7 of the Best Free Weight Loss Apps - Clark.com - Clark Howard - June 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of David Dobrik, Who is Skipping Workouts and Eating Watermelon Sandwiches - GQ - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Anti-Aging Foods to Add to Your Diet - Top Anti-Aging Foods for Hair, Skin, Gut Health - TownandCountrymag.com - June 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the five exercises you can do at home to prevent hypertension - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THIS Japanese long breathing technique to lose weight - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- How to live longer: The five key criteria for protecting against cancer and an early death - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Tesco worker lost 7 stone and dropped five dress sizes with this diet plan - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The joints - Loma Linda University Health - June 30th, 2020
- Is fasted cardio better for weight loss? This research might have the answer - T3 - June 30th, 2020
- Is Swimming A Good Workout For Weight Loss? How To Swim To Lose Weight - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's Weight Loss Secrets Revealed: Here's the diet and exercise plan - PINKVILLA - June 22nd, 2020
- Lost your motivation to eat healthy and exercise during the pandemic? You are not alone - Health24 - June 22nd, 2020
- Best Foods to Eat and Avoid for Migraines - WTOP - June 22nd, 2020
- Local doctor gives tips on how to boost your immune system effectively - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Back pain - the best dinner vegetable you should add to your diet for avoiding backache - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How to live longer - the 85p fruit you should add to your diet to avoid an early death - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Five Healthy Choices Tied to Dramatic Cut in Dementia Risk - Medscape - June 22nd, 2020
- Delayed periods? Time to accept that household chores dont equate to exercise - Times of India - June 22nd, 2020
- How a High-Alkaline Diet Helps Avoid Injury and Recover Faster - The Beet - June 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight in legs quickly and effectively: TOP 5 tips - The Times Hub - June 22nd, 2020
- Active nutrition and immunity: Experts discuss key ingredients, personalization, the microbiome, and more - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Adult Acne Is Real: Here Are the Foods That Can Cause It - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- Juice diet plan: The best juices to help burn belly fat in 2 weeks and keep it off - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How the foods you eat might help you fight cancer - Williston Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Mind Healing: How are stress, sleep and sugary food connected; and what can we do about it? - Telegraph.co.uk - June 22nd, 2020