Autorotation is a state of flight in which the main rotor system of a helicopter or similar aircraft turns by the action of air moving up through the rotor, as with an autogyro, rather than engine power driving the rotor. The term autorotation dates to a period of early helicopter development between 1915 and 1920, and refers to the rotors turning without the engine. It is analogous to the gliding flight of a fixed-wing aircraft.
The most common use of autorotation in helicopters is to safely land the aircraft in the event of an engine failure or tail-rotor failure. It is a common emergency procedure taught to helicopter pilots as part of their training.
In normal powered helicopter flight, air is drawn into the main rotor system from above and exhausted downward, but during autorotation, air moves up into the rotor system from below as the helicopter descends. Autorotation is permitted mechanically because of both a freewheeling unit, which allows the main rotor to continue turning even if the engine is not running, as well as aerodynamic forces of relative wind maintaining rotor speed. It is the means by which a helicopter can land safely in the event of complete engine failure. Consequently, all single-engine helicopters must demonstrate this capability to obtain a type certificate.
The longest autorotation in history was performed by Jean Boulet in 1972 when he reached a record altitude of 12,440m (40,814ft) in an Arospatiale Lama. Because of a 63C (81.4 F) temperature at that altitude, as soon as he reduced power the engine flamed out and could not be restarted. By using autorotation he was able to land the aircraft safely.
For a helicopter, "autorotation" refers to the descending maneuver in which the engine is disengaged from the main rotor system and the rotor blades are driven solely by the upward flow of air through the rotor. The freewheeling unit is a special clutch mechanism that disengages any time the engine rotational speed is less than the rotor rotational speed. If the engine fails, the freewheeling unit automatically disengages the engine from the main rotor allowing the main rotor to rotate freely.
The most common reason for autorotation is an engine malfunction or failure, but autorotation can also be performed in the event of a complete tail rotor failure, or following loss of tail-rotor effectiveness, since there is virtually no torque produced in an autorotation. If altitude permits, autorotations may also be used to recover from vortex ring state. In all cases, a successful landing depends on the helicopter's height and velocity at the commencement of autorotation (see height-velocity diagram).
At the instant of engine failure, the main rotor blades are producing lift and thrust from their angle of attack and velocity. By immediately lowering collective pitch, which must be done in case of an engine failure, the pilot reduces lift and drag and the helicopter begins an immediate descent, producing an upward flow of air through the rotor system. This upward flow of air through the rotor provides sufficient thrust to maintain rotor rotational speed throughout the descent. Since the tail rotor is driven by the main rotor transmission during autorotation, heading control is maintained as in normal flight.
Several factors affect the rate of descent in autorotation: density altitude, gross weight, rotor rotational speed, and forward airspeed. The pilot's primary control of the rate of descent is airspeed. Higher or lower airspeeds are obtained with the cyclic pitch control just as in normal flight. Rate of descent is high at zero airspeed and decreases to a minimum at approximately 50 to 90 knots, depending upon the particular helicopter and the factors previously mentioned. As the airspeed increases beyond the speed that gives minimum rate of descent, the rate of descent increases again. Even at zero airspeed, the rotor is quite effective as it has nearly the drag coefficient of a parachute despite having much lower solidity.
When landing from an autorotation, the kinetic energy stored in the rotating blades is used to decrease the rate of descent and make a soft landing. A greater amount of rotor energy is required to stop a helicopter with a high rate of descent than is required to stop a helicopter that is descending more slowly. Therefore, autorotative descents at very low or very high airspeeds are more critical than those performed at the minimum rate of descent airspeed.
Each type of helicopter has a specific airspeed at which a power-off glide is most efficient. The best airspeed is the one that combines the greatest glide range with the slowest rate of descent. The specific airspeed is different for each type of helicopter, yet certain factors (density altitude, wind) affect all configurations in the same manner. The specific airspeed for autorotations is established for each type of helicopter on the basis of average weather and wind conditions and normal loading.
A helicopter operated with heavy loads in high density altitude or gusty wind conditions can achieve best performance from a slightly increased airspeed in the descent. At low density altitude and light loading, best performance is achieved from a slight decrease in normal airspeed. Following this general procedure of fitting airspeed to existing conditions, the pilot can achieve approximately the same glide angle in any set of circumstances and estimate the touchdown point. This optimum glide angle is usually 1720 degrees.
During vertical autorotation, the rotor disc is divided into three regionsthe driven region, the driving region, and the stall region. The size of these regions vary with the blade pitch, rate of descent, and rotor rotational speed. When changing autorotative rotational speed, blade pitch, or rate of descent, the size of the regions change in relation to each other.
The driven region, also called the propeller region, is the region at the end of the blades. Normally, it consists of about 30 percent of the radius. It is the driven region that produces the most drag. The overall result is a deceleration in the rotation of the blade.
The driving region, or autorotative region, normally lies between 25 and 70 percent of the blade radius, which produces the forces needed to turn the blades during autorotation. Total aerodynamic force in the driving region is inclined slightly forward of the axis of rotation, producing a continual acceleration force. This inclination supplies thrust, which tends to accelerate the rotation of the blade. Driving region size varies with blade pitch setting, rate of descent, and rotor rotational speed.
The inner 25 percent of the rotor blade is referred to as the stall region and operates above its maximum angle of attack (stall angle) causing drag, which slows rotation of the blade. A constant rotor rotational speed is achieved by adjusting the collective pitch so blade acceleration forces from the driving region are balanced with the deceleration forces from the driven and stall regions.
By controlling the size of the driving region, the pilot can adjust autorotative rotational speed. For example, if the collective pitch is raised, the pitch angle increases in all regions. This causes the point of equilibrium to move inboard along the blades span, thereby increasing the size of the driven region. The stall region also becomes larger while the driving region becomes smaller. Reducing the size of the driving region causes the acceleration force of the driving region and rotational speed to decrease.
The Broken Wing Award is a United States Army award for successful execution of an autorotation under emergency conditions. The requirements for the award, as stated in Army Regulation 672-74, are, "An aircrew member must, through outstanding airmanship, minimize or prevent aircraft damage or injury to personnel during an emergency situation. The aircrew member must have shown extraordinary skill while recovering an aircraft from an in-flight emergency situation."
See the original post here:
Autorotation - Wikipedia
- To Lose Weight, Cut the Fad Diets and Stick to the Basics, Expert Says - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - December 6th, 2019
- Do these 5 things at every meal to lose weight - New York Post - December 6th, 2019
- The Biggest Loser Revamp is About Being Healthy, Not Losing Weight - Screen Rant - December 6th, 2019
- Weight loss surgery enables a Pinehurst banker to be both half and twice the woman she used to be - Sandhill Sentinel - December 6th, 2019
- Jenna Jameson Says She Gained 20 Lbs. After Taking a Break from Keto to 'Live My Best Carby Life' - PEOPLE Great Ideas - December 6th, 2019
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley was 'humbled' by struggle to lose baby weight - Page Six - December 6th, 2019
- Not Seeing Results With Keto? This M.D. Says "Sneaky Carbs" May Be To Blame - mindbodygreen.com - December 6th, 2019
- Ajwain water for weight loss: Heres how you should prepare it for better results - Times of India - December 6th, 2019
- How to lose weight and get fit like this 43-year-old Ironman triathlete and open water swimmer - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 6th, 2019
- From the editor: Finding the best weight management products - NutraIngredients-usa.com - December 6th, 2019
- Boxing: Joshua Lightens the Load as Ruiz Jr Piles on the Pounds - The New York Times - December 6th, 2019
- McDonald's McFlurry Bulldog from Walsall scoops top prize in slimming contest - Birmingham Live - December 6th, 2019
- Eat all daily meals 'within 10 hours' to shed weight - The Times - December 6th, 2019
- Where Does Protein Fit in a New Year Diet? - Technology Networks - December 5th, 2019
- Weight loss: One woman lost a remarkable six stone with this plan - what did she eat? - Express - December 5th, 2019
- 5 Medical Conditions That Cause Weight Loss Without Trying - International Business Times - December 5th, 2019
- 'I Joined Weight Watchers After A Devastating MiscarriageAnd I Found My Joy And Confidence Again' - Women's Health - December 5th, 2019
- Is High-Protein Diet Beneficial For All Of Us? The Answer Will Surprise You - NDTV Food - December 5th, 2019
- Katie Price 'loses a stone in two weeks' and is 'barely eating' over bankruptcy stress - Mirror Online - December 5th, 2019
- Poha for weight loss: The delicious and healthy snack for quick weight loss - Times of India - December 5th, 2019
- Gemma Collins reveals secret to 3st weight loss is storing her food shop in the boot of her car - The Sun - December 5th, 2019
- Weight change between pregnancies is linked to having premature and large at birth babies - Mirage News - December 5th, 2019
- Five Ways To Build Your Innovation Muscles In The New Year - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Fitness facilities have the potential to 'be the leading providers of weight loss solutions' - Australasian Leisure Management - December 5th, 2019
- How to lose weight in 6 months like this guy who lost 32 kgs by following an easy cardio routine - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 5th, 2019
- Eating your last meal at 2pm may help to lose weight 'because it suppresses appetite' - Stock Daily Dish - December 5th, 2019
- Portland in the snow, in a wheelchair - NewsCenterMaine.com WCSH-WLBZ - December 5th, 2019
- Gym routines you should adopt during the festive season - The Standard - December 5th, 2019
- MAFS star Jules on getting married and losing - NEWS.com.au - December 5th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Drinking this type of water could lower blood sugar - Express - December 5th, 2019
- My 600-lb Life: What Happened to Annjeannette Whaley and Vianey & Allen? Where Are They Now? - Earn The Necklace - December 5th, 2019
- Experience: I had apple cider vinegar every morning for 56 days, and this is what happened - Firstpost - December 5th, 2019
- The Christmas Ad That Rode Off With 9% Of Pelotons Share Value - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Nutritional fact or fiction? Everything meal replacement companies hope you'll take their word for - Dailyuw - December 2nd, 2019
- Brain receptor that regulates body temperature may also be the key to rapid weight loss - News-Medical.net - December 2nd, 2019
- Best supplements for joints: Taking this supplement could significantly reduce joint pain - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: Six ways to speed up fat loss & the best portion sizes to shed pounds - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- Its not hard to eat healthy around the holidays - The Columbus Dispatch - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: This easy plan will help you burn belly fat according to personal trainer - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- 10 ways to tell your partner to lose weight without hurting them - The Nation Newspaper - December 2nd, 2019
- Tips on eating healthy around the holidays - Massillon Independent - December 2nd, 2019
- Want Real Weight Loss? Here Are Three Things You Should Give Up - Medical Daily - December 2nd, 2019
- What Motivated 'Good Morning America's' Tory Johnson To Lose 62 Pounds - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 2nd, 2019
- 1st Gen Idol Kim Hyung Jun Of Taesaja Talks About Job As A Delivery Person And His Happiness - soompi - December 2nd, 2019
- How to lose weight like this guy who lost 36 kgs by eliminating these three things from his diet - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 2nd, 2019
- Protein-Rich Diet: Is It Harmful For People With Kidney Problems? This Study Finds Out - NDTV Food - December 2nd, 2019
- Sizing Up Your Mental Health - Thrive Global - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: I lost 10st after getting so fat I got wedged in a seat on the Tube to work - The Sun - December 2nd, 2019
- This is an interesting way to lose weight in winter - News Track English - December 2nd, 2019
- Younger Women Should Start Now to Defend Against Heart Attacks - catcountry1073.com - December 2nd, 2019
- From Weight-Loss to Wellness: Has The Diet Really Died? - The Bull and Bear - December 2nd, 2019
- To Your Good Health: A flu shot is the best way to prevent the flu - Arizona Daily Star - December 2nd, 2019
- Brush your teeth not twice, but thrice a day: Experts say it may help cut heart failure risk by 12% - Economic Times - December 2nd, 2019
- Weight loss: Top tips to lose weight by improving your digestion - Express - November 28th, 2019
- Aaron Washer Update on My 600 Lb. Life - Heavy.com - November 28th, 2019
- Experts offer tips to avoid gaining that holiday weight - Summit Daily News - November 28th, 2019
- Enjoy the holiday feast; unless you're a wrestler cutting weight - Post Register - November 28th, 2019
- How to lose weight & build muscles like this guy who followed an easy yet quantifiable regime to get ripped - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 28th, 2019
- An Increasing Number of Americans Weigh 200 Poundsand Say They Are OK With It - Newsweek - November 28th, 2019
- Holly Willoughby weight loss: How did the daytime TV star trim down? - Express.co.uk - November 28th, 2019
- Waitress loses 125lbs to fulfil her grandfather's dying wish - Somerset Live - November 28th, 2019
- Losing almost 12 stone cured my diabetes... and saved my life - The Sunday Post - November 28th, 2019
- Alfred Dawes | Severe obesity: The harsh truth | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - November 28th, 2019
- Technology Advances in Reducing Lower Back Pain - HealthTechZone - November 28th, 2019
- Bored of the gym? Try these martial art forms for weight loss and muscle tone - Firstpost - November 28th, 2019
- 'My daughter's death took me to the darkest place, but I've learned it's possible to come back' - Telegraph.co.uk - November 28th, 2019
- 'Creative, intelligent and cheeky': Mother blames son's death on drug access in Richmond - 9News - November 28th, 2019
- Insta Keto Report (Instant Keto): Important News Reported By Researched Reviews - The Prowess News - November 28th, 2019
- Embracing the weight of discomfort, Entertainment News & Top Stories - The Straits Times - November 28th, 2019
- Ask the GP: Menopause may be causing your infuriating itch - The Irish News - November 28th, 2019
- Weight loss: This guy lost a massive 50 kilos in less than 8 months! Here's how he did it - Times of India - November 27th, 2019
- If You Want to Lose Weight and Keep It Off, This is the Magic Number of Calories to Cut Every Day - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 27th, 2019
- Lose Weight and Be Healthy with the 10-Day Metagenics Detox Diet - University Herald - November 27th, 2019
- Severe obesity: The harsh truth | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - November 27th, 2019
- How one UAE-based woman lost almost 50kg in a year - Gulf News - November 27th, 2019
- Hoda Kotb and Jenna Bush Hager Say They Didnt Think Through Their Live Weigh-In: It Was a Shock - PEOPLE.com - November 27th, 2019
- The Benefits of Red Wine for Health, Skin and Weight Loss - Femina - November 27th, 2019
- Five natural appetite suppressants for weight loss that actually work - Times of India - November 27th, 2019
- Al Roker Reveals What Used To Cause Him to Overeat and Why He's 'Never Going Back to Fat' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 27th, 2019
- Weight loss: Top 5 health benefits of Muay Thai - Times of India - November 27th, 2019