This article was written by Australia personal trainer and fitness guru Tiffiny Hall.
There's nothing like those first signs of progress when setting out on a health journey moving one hole down on your belt, clearer skin, numbers reducing on the scales, sliding into your jeans, energy levels increasing!
But naturally, as time goes on and your end goal nears, progress plateaus. Yep, those darn last 5kg can be really stubborn!
Whether motivation has dissipated with time, your body has adapted to your new healthy lifestyle, or your routine has gone stale, what you need is CHANGE.
As the old saying goes, nothing changes if nothing changes, right?
The key to breaking through that last wall and kicking those last 5kgs in the butt is to shock and challenge your body further this is when you'll see new results, and this is how to go about it.
RELATED: The valuable lesson Tiffiny Hall's mum taught her about exercise, dieting and taekwondo
Time to up the intensity with HIIT training, or as we do on my online health and fitness program, TIFFXO, TKD HIIT (Taekwondo high intensity interval training). It's truly the best exercise to accelerate fat loss and fitness. HIIT and TKD HIIT give you a great after-burn effect, so you burn calories whilst doing the exercise and then all day long afterwards.
Not just for Black Belts! You can squeeze this one in literally ANYWHERE to shock your system into action. Throw a couple of punches (1, 2!), combine it with your strongest fighting stance (don't leave that chin open!) and whaddya know, it's a motivation knockout.
Don't start with a 200 calorie latte. Either opt for black coffee (you'll get used to it), or go for a green juice, a vitamin hit juice or a Cherry Ripe Smoothie say what? Yep it's real, and on my menu plan at tiffxo.com.
I work from home, so it's not unusual for me to sometimes find myself eating at my desk, pacing the kitchen in search of snacks, or staring blankly into a half-stocked fridge, simply because I'm bored, tired or stressed. Can relate? Set yourself a rule not to dine al desco. I don't eat at my desk and if you work from home like me, avoid unnecessary additional mindless snacking especially when the 3pm slumps set in!
Still can't resist? To be sure that you're hungry and not bored, before reaching for something snacky (something healthy that is) stand up and smash out 10 burpees, or run on the spot for a minute, then have a glass of water (thirst can often be mistaken for hunger!). A flood of endorphins will be released and you'll experience more clarity and energy.
Many clients of mine focus on their diet or exercise to lose weight and improve their wellness, but they forget to think about what they drink! Does this sound like you? If so, you may want to change up your routine by trying my waterweek challenge: 7 days without milky coffees, alcohol, soft drink, fruit juices, milkshakes, sports drinks and energy drinks. That leaves only water and good liquids (black coffee, tea, and healthy smoothies) on top of your meal plan of course. The idea is not to drink your calories but to eat them.
This is my secret. On TIFFXO, I program a different coached workout every day including Pilates, HIIT, flow, boxing and more. This style of exercise regime keeps your body guessing, which is exactly what you need to see (and feel) more progress.
That little set of dumbbells may have done their dash!
Progressive overload allows your muscles to strengthen and your body to continue to be challenged to get results. This is done through gradually increasing the weight, frequency, or number of repetitions in your workouts.
RELATED: What to do when you crave a sweet treat: 'I'm a big believer in healthy swaps'
Go here to see the original:
Aussie fitness guru Tiffiny Hall reveals how to lose that final five kilos - 9Coach
- Don't Give Up: 9 Ways to Reinvent Your 2021 Diet, Fitness Resolutions - Healthline - January 12th, 2021
- How to Lose Belly Fat | Belly Fat Exercises and Diet - esquire.com - January 12th, 2021
- Kate Middleton's diet and exercise: her fitness secrets revealed - New Idea - January 12th, 2021
- 5 Diet Pill Ingredients That Actually Work For Weight Loss - South Florida Caribbean News - January 12th, 2021
- The best esports exercise and diet plan by the Head of Performance at EXCEL ESPORTS - T3 - January 12th, 2021
- Low-carb, no sugar, no fat: the fad diets popular in the 20th century - The Conversation UK - January 12th, 2021
- Robert Pattinson 'Batman' Workout and Diet Plan - Men's health UK - January 12th, 2021
- 7 At-Home Exercises You Need To Add In Your Journey From FAT-TO-FIT - Tech Geeked - January 12th, 2021
- Actor Ethan Suplee, on His Abs, Weight Loss, and Mental Strength - menshealth.com - January 12th, 2021
- Skip the diet and dating goals? You should make this your New Year's resolution - USA TODAY - January 12th, 2021
- Ingenuine workout and diet plans have made fitness freak Vaughn Cohen the best fitness trainer in Marbella, Europe. - Datasource Hub - January 12th, 2021
- Weight loss: "I climbed 60 flights of stairs regularly and got in shape" - Times of India - January 12th, 2021
- The 17 Best Longevity Tips Experts Taught Us in 2020 - Well+Good - January 12th, 2021
- Improve HDL and LDL with TLC - Bel Marra Health - January 12th, 2021
- 'I've Maintained My 61-Pound Weight Loss For 8 Years By Setting These S.M.A.R.T. Goals' - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 9th, 2021
- New Year, New Wellness Goals - UPMC - January 9th, 2021
- COVID keeping you from the gym? No problem - Indianapolis Recorder - January 9th, 2021
- Stay Fit in Your 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and Beyond - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - January 9th, 2021
- 806 Health Tip: A Few Diets To Try In The New Year - mix941kmxj.com - January 9th, 2021
- Nutrition and mental health: Is there a link? - Medical News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Ensure Healthy Thyroid Function With These Expert Recommended Diet Tips - NDTV - January 9th, 2021
- How to get fit: Get fit for 2021 with the best workouts and diet tips - T3 - January 9th, 2021
- One 5-Minute Workout Can Melt Belly Fat, Says Study - Eat This, Not That - January 9th, 2021
- Meet the bacteria that might help treat diabetes - Medical News Today - January 9th, 2021
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Make These Changes In Your Diet And Lifestyle To Fight Symptoms Effectively - NDTV - January 9th, 2021
- Diabetes + Obesity = Diabesity: All You Need To Know About This Metabolic Dysfunction - India.com - January 9th, 2021
- Make these diet and lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of cancer - TheHealthSite - January 9th, 2021
- The Diet Plans To Suit All Shapes And Sizes, From 5/2 To Fasting Via Veganism - The Sportsman - January 9th, 2021
- 'After Starting A Low-Carb, High-Protein Diet, I Lost 85 Pounds And Got Rid Of So Many Cravings' - Women's Health - January 5th, 2021
- The One Test to Get If You're Worried About Your Heart Health - The Beet - January 5th, 2021
- US News ranks the best diets for weight loss, other health benefits for 2021 - WTOP - January 5th, 2021
- Health and fitness essentials to help you tackle your New Year's resolution - CNN - January 5th, 2021
- On Waitlist for Liver Transplants, Women Die More Often Than Men - HealthDay News - January 5th, 2021
- Five experts, five tips: GPs on keeping well mentally and physically - The Irish Times - January 5th, 2021
- This Guy Followed a Plant-Based Diet and Lost 180 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 5th, 2021
- What is intuitive eating? The anti-diet that wants to repair your relationship with food - Her.ie - January 5th, 2021
- Weight management goals to set this year - The Citizen - January 5th, 2021
- High-Calorie Food In Winters: Why To Avoid It And Expert-Suggested Alternatives - NDTV Food - January 5th, 2021
- Could a supplement be as effective as exercise at protecting health? - Medical News Today - January 3rd, 2021
- Diet & exercise should be on your New Year's Resolution list - Yahoo News - January 3rd, 2021
- The Case for Keto review why a full-fat diet should be on the menu - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2021
- In Exercised, Harvard professor Daniel Lieberman looks at why exercise, despite its aggravations, is worth it - The Boston Globe - January 3rd, 2021
- Cold weather or winter headaches - What causes them? - TheHealthSite - January 3rd, 2021
- Jessica Alba Swears by Pilates, HIIT, and Hot Yoga for Strong, Sculpted Abs at 39 - Prevention.com - January 3rd, 2021
- Looking to Be Healthier in the New Year? These Tips Will Help - South Florida Reporter - January 3rd, 2021
- Zion Williamson Changed His Diet After a Disappointing Rookie Year: All the Sauce, the Bacon, That StuffHe Cant Have That - Sportscasting - January 3rd, 2021
- Belfast weight-loss expert offers five top tips for fitness and diet in 2021 - Belfast Live - January 3rd, 2021
- Resolutions: Small, steady change to lifestyle is better than dieting, expert says - The Augusta Chronicle - January 3rd, 2021
- How to boost your immune system in weeks and maintain it long-term - BusinessGhana - January 3rd, 2021
- Dementia: Weight training exercises could help protect the brain against Alzheimers - TechnoCodex - January 3rd, 2021
- 5 New Year's Resolutions for Better Gut Health - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 3rd, 2021
- 5 ways to get fitter than ever, include exercise in 2021 - Times Now - January 3rd, 2021
- The dangers of obesity in pets - Kathorus Mail - January 3rd, 2021
- 7-day bodybuilding meal plan: Benefits, nutrition, and grocery list - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Skipping These Foods Can Be Dangerous for Your Mental Health, Study Says - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- The warrior diet: Pros, cons, how to follow it, and example meal plan - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Ray Wetterlund III : You're only one workout away from a good mood - Thrive Global - December 27th, 2020
- The Biking Workout That Hit 10,000 Miles in a Year - The Wall Street Journal - December 27th, 2020
- What is the best diet for women? Options and research - Medical News Today - December 27th, 2020
- Cut back on meat for a week with this 7-day vegetarian meal plan recommended by a registered dietitian - Business Insider India - December 27th, 2020
- The 6 Best Diets That Will Make You Live Longer, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- The best nutrition to start 2021 - Sportstar - December 27th, 2020
- How to boost your immune system in weeks and maintain it long-term - Insider - INSIDER - December 27th, 2020
- Drew Barrymores Fitness Routine Isnt Perfect, but This Was Still a Really Healthy Year - Prevention.com - December 27th, 2020
- Bloated, full, sluggish: Is fasting the answer to festive feasting? - Sydney Morning Herald - December 27th, 2020
- Follow These Home Remedies to Get Rid of Constipation - TechnoCodex - December 27th, 2020
- Best way to create healthy New Year's Resolution for 2021 - Mumbai Live - December 27th, 2020
- The best diet is the diet you can stick to - Seacoastonline.com - December 27th, 2020
- How what you are eating is affecting how you sleep - The Irish Times - December 27th, 2020
- Soda Habits That Are Shortening Your Life, According to Science - Eat This, Not That - December 27th, 2020
- How to live longer: Walking pace may influence your life expectancy - how fast to walk - Express - December 27th, 2020
- The pillars of mental health: Good sleep, exercise, and healthy diet - Yahoo News UK - December 20th, 2020
- Weight loss: "I had dalia every night for dinner and got my pre-pregnancy body back" - Times of India - December 20th, 2020
- What a cutting diet is and how to follow it - Medical News Today - December 20th, 2020
- Nutrition and exercise is key in easing joint pain - IOL - December 20th, 2020
- Americans promise to eat healthier 4 times a month but never follow through - Study Finds - December 20th, 2020
- Sabudana health benefits: 8 compelling reasons why you must include Sabudana (Sago) in your diet - Times of India - December 20th, 2020
- Winter Health Tips: Add Onion And Garlic To Your Diet To Prevent Cough And Cold, Says Nmami Agarwal - NDTV Doctor - December 20th, 2020
- A 20-Minute Workout to Sculpt Your Arms and Chest (See Ya, Armpit Fat) - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 20th, 2020
- Sleep, food, or exercise: Which has the biggest impact on mental health? - Stuff.co.nz - December 13th, 2020