Heart disease is the single biggest killer in Scotland. It acts as a huge burden on the NHS, with someone in Scotland being admitted to hospital due to a heart attack every 50 minutes. It causes daily devastation, with coronary heart disease causing around 18 deaths every day.
New research and innovative technologies are in place and advancing every day to help combat the issue with a strong focus on continuing to build on vital research, preventing heart diseases from developing, and ensuring that those with existing conditions live longer, better lives.
In recent years, significant progress has been made to reduce death rates, thanks to these advances in diagnosis, treatment and care of coronary problems.
Sixty years ago, seven in 10 people who had a heart attack in this country didnt survive. Now, seven in 10 people whove had a heart attack return home to their families.
Those who do safely return can act as ambassadors for the prevention of heart disease.
Known as secondary prevention, those who have suffered a problem a small heart attack for example then use this scare to take action, reassessing their diet and exercise.
The oil and gas industry, particularly those offshore, is made up of an ageing workforce.
Cardiac problems are no stranger to these workers. Although many return to work with a new mindset inspired by secondary prevention a huge number also arent given this second chance at life.
Preventing coronary artery disease is largely about controlling the risk factors.
Ideally, prevention habits start early, but they remain important all through life. Its never too late to change, though the earlier in life you do so, the greater the advantage.Smart steps to take include:
Ditch the cigarettes. Smoking is considered one of the key risk factors in causing heart attacks. It makes the walls of your arteries sticky from the chemicals, so fatty material can stick to them. If the arteries that carry blood to your heart get damaged and clogged, it can lead to a heart attack. Not much better is passive smoking. So whenever possible, steer clear of second-hand smoke.
Eat better. Aim for an eating plan thats low in saturated and trans fats and high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. The fats found in olive oil and fish, those high in fibre (found in plant foods), and treats low in salt and sugar will also keep your heart healthier for longer.
Keep active. A good goal is at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise each week, or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic exercise each week. Aim to be active for 30 minutes a day, most days of the week. Adding in walks over lunch, and opting for the stairs instead of the lift can help promote this. Simple steps, big differences.
Be mindful. Some stress is unavoidable in life but it tends to push us towards the bad stuff that can lead to heart problems (overeating, drinking, lazing too much). Consider your mental health as well as your heart health and your body will thank you for it. Try using exercise or mediation to relax.
Dr Stuart Scott is medical director at Iqarus
- Bananas with Milk: A Great Combination or Bad Idea? - Healthline - May 30th, 2020
- Most heated debate this week - should you eat peas for breakfast - Hertfordshire Mercury - May 30th, 2020
- RealEats Recognized by Partnership for a Healthier America as Improving Health and Wellness through Its Innovative "Fresh Meal" Product Line... - May 30th, 2020
- Week 9 of Jacqui and Jim Robbins' self-isolation diary for the Adver - Swindon Advertiser - May 30th, 2020
- Richmond inches toward opening its streets Greater Greater Washington - Greater Greater Washington - May 27th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis | Early Signs, Causes and Treatment - DrugWatch.com - May 27th, 2020
- Peanuts, eggs and your baby: How to introduce food allergens during the coronavirus pandemic - The Conversation CA - May 27th, 2020
- Hospital chief of staff provides guidance on COVID-19 and the Columbia Valley as we open up - Columbia Valley Pioneer - May 27th, 2020
- How to treat insomnia and get better sleep with self-care, therapy, or medication - Insider - INSIDER - May 27th, 2020
- Reviewing all the sponcon beauty products you definitely shouldnt try - Dazed - May 27th, 2020
- 1,200 calorie diet: Safety and how to do it - May 26th, 2020
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner's Guide to Keto - May 26th, 2020
- Low-carb diet: Can it help you lose weight? - Mayo Clinic - May 26th, 2020
- The Big Gap Of Micronutrients In The Indian Diet - NDTV - May 26th, 2020
- Social Distancing - The Hard Hat of our Time - HeadStuff.org - May 26th, 2020
- Newsletter: What is it like to go through the Aurora COVID-19 testing site? - Kendall County Now - May 26th, 2020
- How The 80/20 Rule Can Save Your Life During The Coronavirus Reopening - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- These Breathtaking Aerial Photos Capture U.S. Farmland Patterns Like You've Never Seen Before - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020
- 70 years of Batmobiles get their due in Warner Brothers documentary - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020
- Its Not Too Late to Watch Run If Youre Interested in Becoming Sexually Attracted to Domhnall Gleeson - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020
- Eid-ul-Fitr 2020: How to break your fast in a healthy way to avoid digestive troubles - Times of India - May 24th, 2020
- Pets are great, but think before adopting | News | ottumwacourier.com - Ottumwacourier - May 24th, 2020
- Inside the pilot program that Iowa State is using to bring back its athletes - Syracuse Journal-Democrat - May 24th, 2020
- Mum lost five stone in a year and became super fit after the dramatic birth of her baby - Berkshire Live - Berkshire Live - May 24th, 2020
- How to lose a stone and tone up during lockdown - The Times - May 24th, 2020
- Telehealth Visits Allow Patients to Connect to Care During COVID-19 - UC San Diego Health - May 24th, 2020
- What is FODMAP intolerance and how to relieve the symptoms - Insider - INSIDER - May 24th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding Reveals She Fasts for Up to 40 Hours at a Time: I Do It Very Safely - Us Weekly - May 19th, 2020
- Need a little lockdown weight loss? Eat MORE of these five foods and LESS of these blacklisted ones - T3 - May 19th, 2020
- How the Sixers Are Staying Fit and Eating Healthy at Home Right Now - phillymag.com - May 19th, 2020
- Reevaluating fish consumption advisories during the COVID-19 pandemic: Analysis - Environmental Health News - May 19th, 2020
- 6 Tips on How to Stay Active at Home - Freeport Journal-Standard - May 19th, 2020
- Ellie Goulding reveals she fasts up to 40 hours at a time - The Indian Express - May 19th, 2020
- How to get out of quarantine in good health and not overweight - The Times Hub - May 19th, 2020
- Ways to Fuel Your Immune System Not Just to Fight Off the Coronavirus - Reform Austin - May 18th, 2020
- One Twin Went Vegan. The Other Didn't. Here's What Happened to Their Bodies - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 18th, 2020
- Mix of straw and hay proves effective in stripping weight off ponies - study - Horsetalk - May 18th, 2020
- Mitchell Park's Fatty the parrot is missing - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- Born on this day - May 12: Jonah Lomu, All Blacks winger - IOL - May 18th, 2020
- From fighting off jaguars to eating frogs and SNAKES for 71 days the most shocking wilderness survival s - The Irish Sun - May 18th, 2020
- Your Cat Is Totally Allowed to Eat These 7 Human Foods We Asked 2 Vets to Be Sure - POPSUGAR - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to workplace as state reopens - Pike County News Watchman - May 15th, 2020
- As Boris Johnson vows to lose weight the 6 ways to do it safely - The Sun - May 15th, 2020
- 5 Genius Ways to Use Chia Seeds, According to Nutritionists - The Beet - May 15th, 2020
- The Pain of Perfection When You Live With a Chronic Illness - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Ohio State experts offer tips for healthy transition to post-COVID-19 workplace - The Ohio State University News - May 15th, 2020
- Eating to beat COVID-19, othersInterview - Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- Houston medical experts on how to be healthy during and after COVID-19 - CultureMap Houston - May 15th, 2020
- 6 Medicinal Mushrooms that Boost Immunity - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet - One Green Planet - May 15th, 2020
- For Your Fitness: When you want to be healthier - LaineyGossip - May 15th, 2020
- Staying safe, healthy amid pandemic during proposed reopenings: Dr Nina Radcliff - Press of Atlantic City - May 10th, 2020
- Is Brad Pitt Vegan? What You Need to Know - LIVEKINDLY - May 10th, 2020
- 9 Myths About Low-Carb Diets - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- Can You Eat Fish Skin, and Is It Healthy? - Healthline - May 9th, 2020
- How to build muscle at home: 5 of the most effective muscle building tips for beginners (and pros too) - T3 - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19: How effective has HR been so far? | theHRD - The HR Director Magazine - May 9th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: How it can help you lose weight and even save money - CNET - May 9th, 2020
- Obesity does increase risk of death from Covid-19 but diets arent the answer, chief doc warns - The Sun - May 6th, 2020
- Your front line defence isn't masks and gloves: its health - Gulf Times - May 6th, 2020
- Fare Exchange: A crustless quiche, an easy side dish and a variation on banana bread - Chattanooga Times Free Press - May 6th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Dine Out? The Answer Is Extremely Partisan. - The Daily Beast - May 6th, 2020
- Need To Satisfy A Beauty Itch? We've Got 4 Safe Ways To Have Fun Right Now - mindbodygreen.com - May 6th, 2020
- Three Ways to Support a Healthy Food System During the COVID-19 Pandemic - EcoWatch - May 6th, 2020
- McDonald's in Harrow among the first fifteen restaurants to reopen - Harrow Times - May 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Expired Yogurt? Heres What Food Safety Experts Have To Say - Women's Health - May 2nd, 2020
- Let the Sunshine In - The New York Times - May 2nd, 2020
- BARRATTS JOIN FORCES WITH WESSEX HEARTBEAT TO PROMOTE ISOLATION HEALTH TIPS - Island Echo - May 1st, 2020
- Is Corn Gluten-Free? Here's What to Know - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 1st, 2020
- McDonald's confirms when it will begin to re-open branches across the UK - NW Evening Mail - May 1st, 2020
- Millions Of Zimbabweans Are Already Struggling To Put Food On The Table UN Report - ZimEye - Zimbabwe News - May 1st, 2020
- Coping with Corona: Inclined to recline - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - May 1st, 2020
- Irrfan Khan's Son, Babil Shares a Video of the Late Actor Eating Pani Puri and it's Bound to Make You Smile - LatestLY - May 1st, 2020
- Excerpt: Fix it With Food; Superfoods to become Superhealthy by Kavita Devgan - Hindustan Times - April 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss Transformation Erika Winning Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - April 30th, 2020
- Diabetes and Ramadan: Frequently asked questions - Greater Kashmir - April 30th, 2020
- How to Manage Stress Migraines During the Coronavirus Outbreak - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - April 30th, 2020
- Six-Pack Abs: How Long Does It Take, Nutrition, and Exercise - Greatist - April 30th, 2020
- Opinion: Column: And So It Begins - Virginia Connection Newspapers - April 30th, 2020
- What to do if you find a baby bird on the ground - Deseret News - April 23rd, 2020
- Hunters, anglers, even Fish and Wildlife commissioners say restrictions on recreation should be lifted - The Spokesman-Review - April 23rd, 2020