Q: IM 57 and had a hysterectomy over five years ago. I am now going through the menopause. Most of my symptoms are fairly mild, apart from the itchy skin, which affects my legs and arms and drives me mad.
A: Your dreadful itching is most likely to be a response to lower levels of oestrogen caused by the menopause.
Oestrogen deficiency reduces collagen in the skin the vital protein that gives it strength and elasticity. These changes in menopause can cause excessive dryness and widespread itching, technically known as pruritus.
Many menopausal women also experience marked hair loss as a symptom, yet little is made of either in the literature on this topic.
Nevertheless, pruritus is common in men and women and may be nothing to do with menopause. It can be due to an inflammatory skin condition such as contact dermatitis, a side-effect of kidney disease or a number of liver disorders, iron deficiency anaemia or other blood system disorders, and endocrine and metabolic conditions including thyroid disease (both over and underactivity). It is important not to ignore these possibilities.
In terms of treatment, if your GP agrees the menopause is the cause, there are two suggestions. The first is to use an emollient moisturiser, twice daily, without fail at least one application after a shower to trap moisture in the skin. Suitable options are Diprobase or Doublebase, available in most pharmacies.
Read More: Six of the best books and podcasts on the menopause
A non-detergent skin cleanser, such as Cetaphil (also available in pharmacies), will help, too, by not excessively reducing natural oils in the skin. These methods may give considerable relief.
Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is the second suggestion, but whether this appeals, and whether it is suitable for you, must be discussed with your doctor.
Oestrogen helps to preserve the collagen content of the skin in post-menopausal women, and my own observations have been that hair loss has been reversed, and dryness and itching have improved, when HRT is prescribed and taken.
I favour HRT patches, rather than tablets, because they deliver the oestrogen to the tissues more effectively, without it passing through the liver, which can reduce its efficiency.
Q: I am 83 years old and very active, but would like to lose weight. At 5 ft 3 in, I weigh 10 st I eat very little bread or sweet things, and try to eat just one meal a day, at lunchtime, which is mainly vegetables.
A: Excess weight is a major health concern for many, but your body mass index (BMI) is 24.8, just within the normal range (25 to 29.9 is regarded as overweight, while a BMI of 30 or more is obese).
Nevertheless, in your longer letter, you tell me youve gained a stone (more than 6kg) in recent years, despite an active lifestyle and low calorie intake. This may be because your metabolism is slower at the age of 83 than it once was.
Weight control is a valid goal, addressing health risks such as high blood pressure, stroke, heart attack, type 2 diabetes and sleep apnoea, when sleep is disturbed by brief pauses in breathing. Losing weight also reduces urinary incontinence and improves mobility.
But there is no one prescription.
I recommend Michael Pollans book, Food Rules: An Eaters Manual, which can be boiled down to: eat food, mostly plants, and not too much. With that in mind, I suggest the 5:2 diet. This intermittent fasting diet involves normal eating for five days a week and restricting your intake to 500 calories per day on the other two.
Studies on intermittent fasting have confirmed considerable health benefits, including reducing insulin levels, which can help those heading towards type 2 diabetes. Even a loss of 5 per cent of your body weight will confer health benefits.
Id urge you not to push too hard to get back to where you were: your metabolism may not allow it. As we reach old age, having (a little) extra stores is no bad thing.
Solo dmg media
See the original post:
Ask the GP: Menopause may be causing your infuriating itch - The Irish News
- Avoid These Food Mistakes If Youre Trying to Lose Weight - Lifehacker Australia - July 30th, 2020
- Obesity: Doctor's tips to lose weight as Boris Johnson urges Brits to improve health - Mirror Online - July 30th, 2020
- How couple turned losing their income from Covid-19 to losing weight and setting up business - Nottinghamshire Live - July 30th, 2020
- Weight loss calculator works out exactly how much you need to lose to get healthy BMI - The Sun - July 30th, 2020
- The Reason Kevin Smith Decided To Lose Weight | TheThings - TheThings - July 30th, 2020
- Losing weight without dieting, according to science: 11 tricks that experts recommend - Checkersaga - July 30th, 2020
- Want to lose weight and keep it off for life? Focus on these 6 things - Yahoo! Voices - July 30th, 2020
- The Chase star Mark Labbett proudly shows off impressive weight loss - Heart - July 30th, 2020
- HEALTH: Seven weight-loss myths you need to stop believing - Leitrim Observer - July 30th, 2020
- Cynthia Wells Update on My 600-lb Life: Where is She Today? - Heavy.com - July 30th, 2020
- Andy Robertson recalls the impact losing a relative had on his career - Yahoo Sports - July 30th, 2020
- How to lose weight easily in line with the new government obesity strategy - Daily Star - July 30th, 2020
- Jaw-dropping Slimming World weight loss transformations of Plymouth women - Plymouth Live - July 30th, 2020
- Get outdoors and improve the health of all the family - Derry Now - July 30th, 2020
- What are the health benefits of losing weight? - Brinkwire - July 30th, 2020
- Border residents with diabetes, hypertension losing lives to COVID-19 - KGET 17 - July 30th, 2020
- Want to lose weight? Removing one thing from your diet will definitely help - T3 - July 26th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This girl lost 30 kilos in one year WITHOUT extreme dieting! Here's how she did it - Times of India - July 26th, 2020
- Fight Coronavirus With Miracle Pill Of Bicycling To Work, Boris Johnson To Tell Brits - Forbes - July 26th, 2020
- New Obesity Strategy unveiled as country urged to lose weight to beat coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the NHS - GOV.UK - July 26th, 2020
- How Man v Fat is helping men lose more weight than they ever have before - Telegraph.co.uk - July 26th, 2020
- Losing weight, finding the world - Livemint - July 26th, 2020
- 'It is a mistaken belief that having a smaller appetite and losing weight is a normal part of ageing' - The Westmorland Gazette - July 26th, 2020
- Over time, food has become language of love in life - Beauregard Daily News - July 26th, 2020
- Weight loss: Major activity to skip at breakfast time if you want to lose weight - Express - July 26th, 2020
- 'Before I Could Lose 100 Pounds, I First Had To Work On My Mental Health And Sobriety' - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 26th, 2020
- Gianficaro: Readers weigh in with weight-loss journeys - Burlington County Times - July 25th, 2020
- Action Bronson Talks Losing Weight and Mac Miller With Zane Lowe - Complex - July 25th, 2020
- D.J. Fluker running sprints, eating salads and losing weight - NBC Sports - NFL - July 25th, 2020
- Colin Montgomerie, 57, shows off incredible body transformation as he loses 40lbs with diet and pilates - The Sun - July 25th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From not being able to tie my shoelaces to becoming a model, here is how I lost 20 ki - Times of India - July 25th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: One ingredient youre better off without to shed the belly fat - Express - July 25th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here Are 5 Drinks to Enjoy and 2 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: From losing weight to becoming a plant parent, they developed new good habits during the circuit breaker - The Straits Times - July 25th, 2020
- Named unexpected symptom of type 2 diabetes associated with weight loss - The Saxon - July 25th, 2020
- Live it. Feel it. Believe it. - TAPinto.net - July 25th, 2020
- Amy Schumer Has An Issue With Celebrities Talking About Losing Weight After Giving Birth - BuzzFeed - July 25th, 2020
- EDITORIAL: The do's and don'ts of riding high during COVID-19 - Agassiz-Harrison Observer - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Boris Johnson says 'we get things wrong' but worst will be over by 'middle of next year' - Sky News - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus Global Updates, July 25: Brazil President Bolsonaro says he tested negative - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Five years after Justin Wilson's death, IndyCar's aeroscreen protects drivers at Iowa - IndyStar - July 25th, 2020
- How quarantine, meal prepping helped this busy stylist shed nearly 50 pounds - Houston Chronicle - July 25th, 2020
- Mayo Clinic Q And A: What to drink to stay hydrated - Greater Milwaukee Today - July 25th, 2020
- This is where losing weight really begins - KGUN - July 7th, 2020
- The 15 Best Expert Tips to Succeed at Your Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Lose weight: Three health hacks to help you lose belly fat after lockdown - T3 - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World champion lifts the lid on losing weight in lockdown - Nottinghamshire Live - July 7th, 2020
- 'With Intermittent Fasting And The CICO Diet, I Lost Over 100 Pounds In 14 Months' - Women's Health - July 7th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks slimmer than ever as she models new PJ collection after three stone weight loss - The Sun - July 7th, 2020
- Former NFL Linemen Reveal The Surprising Struggles Of Losing Weight After Spending Years Getting Paid To Be A Massive Human - BroBible - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: Add this spice to your diet daily to help burn belly fat fast - Express - July 7th, 2020
- 5ive's Abz Love looks incredible after losing weight and feels younger than ever - Mirror Online - July 7th, 2020
- Five months after final game, Joe Staley says he's lost tremendous amount of weight - KNBR - July 7th, 2020
- Removing food delivery apps helped with my weight loss: Simon K King - The Hindu - July 7th, 2020
- Dom Sibley Reveals The Time He Felt The Need To Lose His Weight - Cricket Addictor - July 7th, 2020
- Amazing Slimming World weight loss transformations in June - Plymouth Live - July 7th, 2020
- Slimming World groups in Trowbridge take District of the Year title - This Is Wiltshire - July 7th, 2020
- Dublin woman shares how she lost 3st - and continued to lose weight during lockdown - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: One of the best exercises to help burn belly fat - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Strict exercise regime without correct diet is unhel..ace mayonnaise, eight other foods for fast weight loss - Firstpost - July 7th, 2020
- Survey reveals stress, anxiety, tiredness and boredom are the main causes of unhealthy eating habits in lockdown - Leamington Observer - July 7th, 2020
- Galway PT shares tips for fussy eaters who want to change diet and lose weight - RSVP Live - July 7th, 2020
- Super slimmer mum loses seven stone in incredible transformation after simple boost of confidence - Birmingham Live - July 7th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: From an overweight kid to a fitness blogger, this guy's weight loss journey is incredible! - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Trying to shed extra kilos? Include these 6 snacks to achieve your goals - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- This Guy Shared What He Has Learned After Doing Intermittent Fasting for 7 Years - Men's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss: how the Remarkable Places to Eat chef shed 12st - The Scottish Sun - June 30th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight in a healthy way? Try these desi weight loss breakfast recipes - India TV News - June 30th, 2020
- Yo Gotti Reveals A Massive Weight Loss Of 40 Pounds - Celebrity Insider - June 30th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss: Here's how I lost 10 kilos in 3 months post my C-sec delivery - Times of India - June 30th, 2020
- Film Study: Why Skinny Jokic Should Thrive, Not Struggle In Nuggets Return - Forbes - June 30th, 2020
- Understanding The Link Between Hypertension And Obesity: Know How To Regulate Your Blood Pressure Numbers - NDTV Doctor - June 30th, 2020
- Should You Exercise On An Empty Stomach? Here's What The Experts Say - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Bad For You? Dangers Of The Low-Carb Diet - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rob Kardashian's Body Evolution Through the Years - MSN Money - June 30th, 2020
- Were all big guys: To hit their weight goals without provided meals, BSU football linemen had to adapt - The Star Press - June 30th, 2020
- Sixers' Zhaire Smith will miss Orlando restart with knee injury - PhillyVoice.com - June 30th, 2020
- First-person account: I got COVID in Boise. I'm fine, but here's what I went through - boisedev.com - June 30th, 2020
- Cork couple tell of simple tips that saw them lose five stone during lockdown - Irish Mirror - June 30th, 2020
- What Is The Mayr Method Diet Rebel Wilson Is Using To Lose Weight? - Women's Health - June 26th, 2020