Question: I want to exercise more, but it's so difficult for me to overcome my natural laziness. How do you stay motivated every day to work out?
This has got to be the most common question I get: "How do I get or stay motivated?"
And it's a great question, because the truth of the matter is that weight management, overall health, and wellness are truly simple. It's a matter of managing the amount of calories you eat based on your goal, managing the quality of your foods based on simple common sense - don't eat foods that have artificial colors and flavors, and try to go organic with meat, dairy, and thin-skinned fruits and vegetables - and moving your body more.
So if it's so simple, why is it so hard for people? Because it's work. Anything in life worth having is work. Period. Whether it's a healthy relationship, a healthy career, or a healthy body, you will have to work for it and sacrifice for it to a certain extent. This is the "how" of success - educating yourself on the task at hand, determining the smartest course of action to move forward, and then doing the work.
The key to tolerating the "how" associated with the goal is having a "why." And people much smarter than me have made that saying famous. If you have a why, you can tolerate the how. So, the question becomes, what's your why?
Now, often we answer that question with sweeping generalizations like money, love, and health. But those aren't detailed visions you can form emotional connections to. Have you ever stopped to really think about what those things actually look like in your life?
What does health mean to you? Is it improving a medical condition that's plaguing you, like Type 2 diabetes, or is it wearing a two-piece instead of a one-piece bathing suit? There is no reason too profound or too superficial as long as it matters to you.
Slideshow: 44 items from your favorite chain restaurants that are under 500 calories (Provided by Insider)
For example, my "whys" are as follows: Meet my great-grandchildren, be an inspiring role model for my kids, feel extremely confident during sex, fit into and look good in a certain brand of skinny jeans, look 35 at 45, be living proof that the Jillian Michaels brand delivers results - and on and on.
The things I've listed are far more important to me than a slice of pizza. It's a matter of perspective.
So, forget this notion that you're lazy - you're absolutely not. It's just that life can feel punishing, and more work is more punishing unless you have a purpose. That "why" is your purpose, and work with purpose is passion.
So take a little time to really think about what it is you want and what it is you're trying to get motivated to achieve. Think about how your life is going to improve once you've achieved it, and how will it feel to live in this new reality. That is the why that will allow you to tolerate the how!
Video: Pretending to play drums makes for a great workout (Provided by Insider)
Do you have a question for Jillian Michaels? Send it to AskJillianMichaels@insider.com and she may choose it for her next column.
- The Top Trending Diet and Exercise Searches of 2019 - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 12th, 2019
- Doctor says diet, exercise are more important than hair dye when it comes to breast cancer - FOX 5 DC - December 12th, 2019
- Labelling food with exercise to 'burn it off' could increase obesity and eating disorders - inews - December 12th, 2019
- More Bexar County Youth Are Being Diagnosed With Type 2 Diabetes, Prediabetes - Texas Public Radio - December 12th, 2019
- Embodied: Deconstructing Diet Culture And The Science Behind It - WUNC - December 12th, 2019
- More and More Very Young Children Across the Nation Lack Health Insurance. Guess How Texas Fares. - Dallas Observer - December 12th, 2019
- 10 Years of Fertility Advances - NYT Parenting - NYT Parenting - December 12th, 2019
- Colon Health: All You Need To Know About Diverticulitis; Diet Tips And More - NDTV Food - December 12th, 2019
- Fitness: Five expert tips for staying in shape over the festive season - Express - December 12th, 2019
- Dementia: The hot drink shown to help lower your risk of developing the condition - Express - December 12th, 2019
- 4 ways to get comfortable with change: Philly CIO of the Year winners share - The Enterprisers Project - December 12th, 2019
- Can constipation cause a headache? What to know - Medical News Today - December 12th, 2019
- People eat less when food labels show how much exercise is needed to burn it off, but that could have dangerous consequences - Business Insider - December 12th, 2019
- How to live longer: This diet has been proven to help you live longer and stave off cancer - Express - December 11th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Do this for 30 minutes in the morning to lower your reading - Express - December 11th, 2019
- Diverticulitis diet: Foods to eat and avoid - Medical News Today - December 11th, 2019
- Here are some useful diet tips to help you get fit this winter! - Global Village space - December 11th, 2019
- How To Lose Weight Using The GOLO Diet Plan? - International Business Times - December 11th, 2019
- Why you need to know about telomeres - MultiBriefs Exclusive - December 11th, 2019
- Hutto families spreading the word about dysautonomia in hopes of finding help closer to home - KVUE.com - December 11th, 2019
- The old-fashioned approach to reducing your risk of cancer and heart disease is still one of the best, according to new research - MarketWatch - December 11th, 2019
- Ex-Vegan Influencer Alyse Parker Switched To The Carnivore Diet, And Fans Are Pissed - Women's Health - December 11th, 2019
- Back pain: 10 proven ways to help alleviate back pain without surgery - Express - December 11th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Add this fruit to your breakfast to lower your blood sugar - Express - December 11th, 2019
- From avoiding exercise to taking Rennie tablets before bed a docs guide to beating the work Christmas par - The Sun - December 11th, 2019
- Weight loss: The 4 keto diet mistakes that could be making you fatter and how to avoid them - Sky Statement - December 11th, 2019
- Blue Zones Diet: Will following this diet help you live for 100 years? - Firstpost - December 11th, 2019
- 'Counting Macros And Calories Helped Me Shed 80 Pounds' - Women's Health - December 11th, 2019
- Alison Hammond weight loss: How did she slim down? This Morning star followed this plan - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Weight-loss tips that go beyond the 'eat less, exercise hard' formula - The National - December 9th, 2019
- The man who unlocked the world's secret to living to age 100 says you can skip the gym - INSIDER - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: How this woman lost 11 kilos and beat PCOD without going to the gym! - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- I'm fit and healthy. Do I really need to take multivitamins? - Rappler - December 9th, 2019
- How Fans Are Handling Their Favorite Influencer Going From Vegan To An All-Carnivore Diet - BuzzFeed News - December 9th, 2019
- Singer and Talk Show Host Syleena Johnson Shed Over 50 Pounds For a Fitness Competition - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 9th, 2019
- We Can Train Our Brain to do Just About Anything, So Do Not Forget to Exercise, Take the Test! - Live Trading News - December 9th, 2019
- Best weight loss: Eating more of this food can help you slim - what is it? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Is the vilification of NZ's meat and dairy justified? - Noted - December 9th, 2019
- Princess Beatrice used this plan to slim - will she follow a diet for royal wedding? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Column: Water restriction is the key to treating too-low salt levels - SouthCoastToday.com - December 9th, 2019
- Beware of supplements and botanicals: Consumer Reports - WSYR - December 9th, 2019
- How Intuitive Eating Works, and How to Get Started - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 9th, 2019
- Ask Jillian Michaels: I recently gave birth to my first child how do I lose the baby weight and get back in shape? - Business Insider - December 9th, 2019
- Seventy Nine Per Cent Of People Have A "Heart Age" Higher Than Their Biological Age - Men's Health - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best carbs to eat to shed pounds based on your body type - The Sun - December 9th, 2019
- Robbie Williams weight loss: Gave up one thing to slim down and shed fat - what was it? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Aerobic exercise, improved diet could slow memory problems in nursing home residents - News - McKnight's Long Term Care News - December 2nd, 2019
- Diet, Exercise, and Apologize to Your Sister: A Prescription for Long-Term Health - Tennessee Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Susanna Reid weight loss: GMB host cut one thing from diet plan to shed 1st 7lb - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- Back pain remedies: Exercise, diet, and numerous other ways to prevent back pain - Republic World - Republic World - December 2nd, 2019
- Donald Trump Challenged to Go Vegan in January for $1 Million Donation to Veterans - Newsweek - December 2nd, 2019
- UNC athletes find allies in effort to avoid eating disorder risks - The Daily Tar Heel - December 2nd, 2019
- How to live 40 percent longer | Health - Williston Daily Herald - December 2nd, 2019
- What is Diet Culture and 4 Steps to Navigate It - Thrive Global - December 2nd, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat: Best Exercise To Have Fantastic Abs - International Business Times - December 2nd, 2019
- The Power of Point of Care in the Marketing Channel - DTC Perspectives Magazine - December 2nd, 2019
- Thought for Food: Walter Willett on Diet for Personal and Planetary Health - The Good Men Project - December 2nd, 2019
- Can Green Coffee Really Help You Lose Weight? Find The Answer Here - NDTV News - December 2nd, 2019
- $1 Million Offer to President Trump: Go Vegan for January and the Veterans Will Receive $1M - VEGWORLD Magazine - December 1st, 2019
- Medical News Today: Possible reasons weight loss is not working - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Grueling gym routines, restrictive diets, and no dating: K-pop stars tell us about the dark side of their industry - Business Insider - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants being thrown under the bus - Peace Arch News - December 1st, 2019
- Excessive hygiene: Can this be a bad thing? - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- How to live longer: This type of exercise could increase life expectancy - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How to lose weight in 6 months like this guy who lost 18 kgs without hiring a personal trainer or a dietician - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 1st, 2019
- Learn to say 'no' as well as ho-ho this holiday season - theday.com - December 1st, 2019
- Serena Williams Cheats on Her Diet in a Truly Indulgent Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 1st, 2019
- The Eating And Exercise Habits Behind Elsa Pataky's Seriously Strong Physique - Women's Health - December 1st, 2019
- Exercise will help you lose belly fat, but do away with associated myths first - TheHealthSite - December 1st, 2019
- Jamie Oliver weight loss: TV chef ditched one food to shed an astounding two stone - Express.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- How to master intuitive eating during the toughest time of the year - Inverse - December 1st, 2019
- How to recover from Thanksgiving - KRON4 - December 1st, 2019
- Mike Sorrentino Shocked Family With His Post-Prison Weight Loss - Screen Rant - December 1st, 2019
- Chichester ranks in second place in a survey to find the healthiest town - Chichester Observer - December 1st, 2019
- Weight Loss With Swimming: THIS is why swimming is the BEST weight loss exercise - PINKVILLA - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants 'being thrown under the bus' - BCLocalNews - December 1st, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Include this 55p food in your diet to lower your blood sugar - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How one woman lost 95 pounds and still got her Taco Bell fix - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Circulation - South Florida Reporter - December 1st, 2019
- Miranda Lambert Gets Candid About Struggling With Ups and Downs in Weight - countryliving.com - November 29th, 2019