Ashwagandha is a powerful herb with medicinal properties. It has been used as part of traiditional Ayurvedic medicine to boost memoery. Here are the health benefits of including this herb in your diet.
Ashwagandha is known to offer multiple health benefits
Ashwagandha is a medicinal herb with some remarkable health benefits. Not only can it help in combat stress, it can also benefit the body and brain in multiple ways. Reducing symptoms of anxiety and depression, lowering blood sugar and improving brain function are a few of the many ways how ashwagandha can help you. An interesting way to include ashwagandha in diet to add its power in honey and warm milk at bedtime.
1. Blood sugar: Ashwagandha can increase insulin secretion and improve insulin sensitivity. This can help in reducing blood sugar levels, which may in turn be helpful for people with diabetes.
2. Cortisol: The medicinal herb has been found to reduce cortisol levels. It can be especially helpful for people with chronic stress, depression and anxiety.
Also read:Lockdown Stress: 6 Quick And Simple Ways To Make You Feel Better
3. Depression: A few studies have shown that ashwagandha can help in alleviating depression. More research is needed to testify this claim.
4. Fertility: Supplements of ashwagandha can have powerful effects on testosterone levels and reproductive health. It can boost sperm quality and improve fertility in men.
Also read:Male Fertility: 6 Most Useful Herbs
5. Muscle mass and strength: Regular intake of ashwagandha can help in improving body composition and increase body strength. So for those focusing on gaining muscle mass, including ashwagandha in diet can be beneficial.
6. Inflammation: Ashwagandha can reduce markers of inflammation like C-reactive protein (CRP). This marker has been linked to an increase in risk of heart disease.
7. Cholesterol: Cholesterol reducing properties of ashwagandha is another reason why the herb can be beneficial for people with heart disease.
8. Brain function and memory: Ashwagandha can mitigate memory and brain function problems caused by injury or disease. In traditional Ayurvedic medicine, ashwagandha has been used traditionally to boost memory.
Ashwagandha can improve brain function and memoryPhoto Credit: iStock
Pregnant and breastfeeding women and people with autoimmune diseases must include ashwagandha in diet only if it has been recommended by their health expert. Also, if you have thyroid issues should talk to their doctor about it as the herb may increase thyroid hormone levels in some people, reports healthline.com. All in all, the herb is fairly safe to consume.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.
- Kenergy Scientific, Inc. Announces That It Has Acquired MedSmart Group, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - July 7th, 2020
- How to Fight PCOS with Diet and Nutrition - Scientific American - June 30th, 2020
- Can you still get pregnant if you have PCOS? - The Standard - June 30th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: Applying this seed-based oil to your scalp may promote hair growth - Express - June 30th, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Steuben Courier - June 23rd, 2020
- Superstar steroid may fight COVID, but has nothing to do with muscles - The Province - June 23rd, 2020
- No fountain of youth: Just because theres a way to boost testosterone doesnt mean you should, experts warn - Jackson County Newspapers - June 19th, 2020
- Melanie Jacobson, PhD, MPH, on the Effects of Phthalates on Testosterone in Men - MedPage Today - June 16th, 2020
- The Ultimate Guide to CBD And Seniors for Weight Loss - Creative Loafing Tampa - June 16th, 2020
- The Coming Out of a Transgender Scientist - The MIT Press Reader - June 15th, 2020
- Identical twins compared vegan diet with meat-eating and exercise - Insider - INSIDER - June 8th, 2020
- The weird character change that still bothers NCIS fans - Looper - May 31st, 2020
- Does PCOS affect your ability to conceive? - The Indian Express - May 26th, 2020
- Welcome to the table - The Tech - May 22nd, 2020
- Why do women gain weight during menopause? - The Conversation AU - May 6th, 2020
- Tips for men to boost their fertility naturally - Telangana Today - May 4th, 2020
- John Tesh Is Staying Healthy With Exercise and Diet Post-Cancer - Closer Weekly - May 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Review - A Review of the Acai Berry and Steph Curry's Weight Loss Product - Coin Digital Standard - April 24th, 2020
- Given Alex Rodriguez's history with doping scandals, should he be allowed to own New York Mets? - MEAWW - April 24th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance: The Growing Concern Amongst Teenagers - India.com - March 31st, 2020
- What Are the Differences in Addiction Between Men and Women? - South Florida Caribbean News - March 28th, 2020
- ACR Recommendations for Managing Reproductive Health in Rheumatic and Musculoskeletal Diseases - Rheumatology Advisor - March 26th, 2020
- How long can you go without food? Survival, effects, and more - Medical News Today - March 23rd, 2020
- A Former Editor of 'Cosmopolitan' On Her Secret to (Almost) Infinite Energy - The Advocate - March 23rd, 2020
- Middle-aged women are turning to bodybuilding and they've got the edge on their younger rivals - ABC News - March 23rd, 2020
- Coconut Oil and Testosterone: Is There a Connection? - Healthline - March 9th, 2020
- Hair loss treatment: The essential oil proven to help hair growth with less scalp itching - Express - March 9th, 2020
- In-Vitro Fertilization Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Instrument, By Procedure Type, By End Use, By Region And Segment Forecasts,... - March 6th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about losing your hair as you get older - goodhousekeeping.com - March 6th, 2020
- How high testosterone levels have different health outcomes for men and women - Health24 - March 1st, 2020
- The 10 tips to keep your penis healthy from more sex to exercising it - The Sun - March 1st, 2020
- Doc, why does my brother keep having convulsions? - nation.co.ke - February 26th, 2020
- Mo Farah, Alberto Salazar and L-carnitine Q&A: everything we know - Telegraph.co.uk - February 25th, 2020
- Eggs for Breakfast: Why It Is Important to Eat This Protein-Rich Food in the Morning Meal for Weight Loss - LatestLY - February 25th, 2020
- This Is What Eating a Dozen Eggs a Day Does to Your Body - msnNOW - February 24th, 2020
- Here's What Eating 12 Eggs a Day Did to This Guy's Body - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- What is PCOS? Symptoms and treatments for polycystic ovary syndrome - Insider - INSIDER - February 24th, 2020
- Sasapost (Egypt): you go to gym? These supplements are not as important and useful as you think - The KXAN 36 News - February 24th, 2020
- What is prostate cancer? Signs and symptoms of Bill Turnbulls condition - The Sun - February 24th, 2020
- Cut Mass, Not Muscle: The Basics of a Cutting Diet - Greatist - February 10th, 2020
- What I learned talking to 120 women about their sex lives and desires - The Guardian - February 10th, 2020
- Wh(e)y Protein? - The Indian Express - February 4th, 2020
- PERFECT HAIR-OLOGY - The News International - February 4th, 2020
- Is weight loss possible with PCOS? Foods to avoid and proven to help - Insider - INSIDER - February 4th, 2020
- After the Game Is Over - Harvard Medical School - February 2nd, 2020
- David Freeze: Robin and Isaac, on the way to better health - Salisbury Post - Salisbury Post - February 1st, 2020
- Bodybuilder dies of liver damage due to excessive intake of steroids, was preparing for competition in T - Mumbai Mirror - February 1st, 2020
- 11 ways hormonal imbalances affect your health - The Standard - February 1st, 2020
- Can Testosterone Help You Lose Weight? - Men's Journal - January 20th, 2020
- Testosterone deficiency in men with Type 2 diabetes: pathophysiology and treatment. - UroToday - January 20th, 2020
- What women should know about their reproductive system as they age - ABC News - January 20th, 2020
- In case you are shedding your sexual want, it can be as a result of those causes - Health Writeups - January 20th, 2020
- 7 Things That Happen to Our Skin, Bodies and Hair During Menopause - NewBeauty Magazine - January 15th, 2020
- Fasting and Breakfast - Is Eating in the Morning Good - Men's Health - January 15th, 2020
- How your height can predict your risk of cancer and heart disease - The Irish News - January 10th, 2020
- The best workout to do depending on what time of day it is - cosmopolitan.com - January 10th, 2020
- 9 Exercise Myths That Have Been Debunked by Science - Interesting Engineering - January 9th, 2020
- 10 Realistic Fitness Goals for 2020, And How to Actually Meet Them - InsideHook - January 8th, 2020
- 7 ways sleep deprivation is killing your health and career - Ladders - January 6th, 2020
- ANTONIA HOYLE reveals everything DOES go wrong at 40 but heres how you can fight back - Herald Publicist - December 16th, 2019
- Effects of Over-exercising on your body and brain. - Business Insider India - December 16th, 2019
- Just 30 Minutes of Exercise Could Be As Beneficial as an Hour, New Research Finds - Men's health UK - December 14th, 2019
- 5 healthy drinks to consume in the winter time | Latest world and US news and updates with bytebell.com - Byte Bell - December 11th, 2019
- Cryotherapy arrives in Sonoma - Sonoma Index-Tribune - December 8th, 2019
- What Causes Belly Fat and How to Get Rid of It - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 7th, 2019
- Diabetes may cause infertility in men; here are some precautionary measures - Business Standard - December 1st, 2019
- I can go for more than five months without my periods. Is it normal? - nation.co.ke - December 1st, 2019
- Ottawa Marathon third-place finisher provisionally suspended for EPO - Canadian Running Magazine - November 27th, 2019
- Teen Mom star Mackenzie McKee talks dramatic weight loss - Monsters and Critics - November 17th, 2019
- Dr. Wayne Bardin, 85, Innovative Researcher on Birth Control, Dies - The New York Times - November 17th, 2019
- Foods that flop your show in the bedroom - Jamaica Observer - November 17th, 2019
- Investigation on Oregon project following report of abuse - News Landed - November 17th, 2019
- Powerbuilding Basics How To Get Big And Strong At The Same Time - FitnessVolt.com - November 17th, 2019
- How to Deal with Testosterone Decline - October 20th, 2019
- Weight Loss and Testosterone | TRTMD Men's Health Clinic - June 23rd, 2019
- Testosterone For Women's Weight Loss - It's Not All About ... - June 21st, 2019
- The Keto Diet Plan and Weight Loss for Men Revive Low T ... - May 11th, 2019
- How to use Testosterone Cream for Women to Boost Weight Loss ... - April 15th, 2019
- Low Testosterone & Wellness Center | Allen, TX - April 9th, 2019
- Weight Loss Glen Allen VA - Rejuvenate MD | HRT - April 8th, 2019