Almost everyone is familiar with the term menopause, which refers to the end of a womans reproductive years. What some people dont know is that men also go through a similar transition, known as andropause or male menopause, during their later years. In both cases, the transition is associated with hormone deficiencies and tends to coincide with other age-related declines. Fortunately, appropriate hormone treatment generally provides symptom relief, and also tends to delay other age-related illnesses or conditions.
Andropause is not considered to be a disease, nor is it the same as the midlife crisis some men exhibit as they age. Most midlife crises occur 10 to 20 years before andropause and may be indicative of the beginning of the decline, similar to symptoms of pre- or perimenopause in women.
The existence of andropause has been debated for years, but has recently gained recognition as a very real physiological state of hormone deficiency. Yet there is still controversy over an exact definition. Some practitioners define andropause as the inability to have a penile erection; others associate it with a marked decline in hormone levels. What most agree on is that andropause is the result of a very gradual, age-related decline in hormones such as testosterone, DHEA, and others.
Between the ages of 25 and 50, mens testosterone levels tend to decrease by approximately 10% per decade, yielding over a 50% reduction by the time they reach their 60s. Because it is such a slow decline and mens responses to it vary widely, andropause is difficult to detect. The fact that men generally do not discuss symptoms as readily as women, also makes it more difficult to diagnose.
During this period of testosterone decline, mens estrogen hormone levels tend to increase by almost 50%, drastically altering their hormone balance. This change in the ratio may help explain why many men begin to feel more family-oriented and nurturing as they age.
excess weight, especially abdominal obesity illness, disease, or other stressful events tobacco consumption drug or alcohol abuse depression or mental illness reduced sexual activity
Similar to menopause, the effects of andropause are not uniform and each mans response to it is unique. That said, there are commonly reported symptoms, many of which are considered part of the normal aging process (see chart on next page), but which are also accelerated by a testosterone deficiency.
Symptoms of testosterone deficiency tend to fall into one of four categories: physical, cardiovascular, mental, or sexual, with some of them overlapping. For example, feeling too weak or tired to engage in sex could be related to impaired cardiovascular health, feelings of insecurity, and decreased libido, all of which may be related to a testosterone deficiency.
Physical Balding head Reduced body hair, especially armpits and genital area Decreased muscle mass, with increased body fat Reduced strength and stamina Feeling weak or tired Decreased testicle size Enlarged prostate Urinary discomfort and/or difficulties
Cardiovascular Increased abdominal fat, increasing risk of heart attack Increased insulin, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels Elevated blood pressure Diminished coronary artery elasticity Weakening of the heart muscle
Mental Moodiness, irritability, insecurity Inner unrest Lack of concentration Memory failures Reduced intellect and critical thinking
Sexual Decreased sex drive and arousal Reduced organ sensitivity or pleasure Fewer orgasms Erectile dysfunction
One of the most troubling symptoms men encounter as they age is an enlarged prostate. The prostate gland goes through a second growth spurt as men reach their 40s, 50s, or 60s, often resulting in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). As the prostate grows, it pushes on the bladder and urethra, causing mild to severe urinary discomforts such as increased frequency of urination, especially at night; difficulty initiating urination; decreased urinary force; and the sensation of a full bladder, even after urinating.
Current medical research indicates that low testosterone levels may be associated with BPH, especially when coupled with elevated estrogen hormone levels.
With increasing life spans, the number of years that a man might live with hormone deficiencies also increases. The earlier that a hormone imbalance is detected and treated, the better. Hormone supplements can provide symptom relief while delaying other age related declines.
Because andropause has not been studied as much as menopause, some healthcare practitioners may not suggest hormone treatment unless you ask about it. Some practitioners may also maintain a lingering concern over testosterone supplements, primarily due to past abuse by athletes who injected synthetic steroids to build muscle mass.
The testosterone treatments available today such as oral capsules, sublingual lozenges, patches, creams, and gels can be quite effective and easy to use, with minimal side effects. The benefits they offer may include:
improved energy and overall well-being increased strength and stamina enhanced mood and self-esteem improved concentration and memory enhanced libido and sexual function.
If you decide to pursue hormone therapy, be aware of the differences between conventional hormone therapy and natural hormone supplements. Natural hormones are those that are bio-chemically identical to the hormones found in your body. As such, their effects in the body are the same as the effects of the hormones they are supplementing.
Hormones in some conventional hormone therapy are not identical to human hormones. In addition, most conventional hormone therapies come in just a few standardized doses, which may or may not include the optimum dose for your needs. Bioidentical hormone supplements are often custom compounded, which allows for specific dosing and potency, and tailoring each prescription for each individuals needs.
With any hormone treatment, it is important to work with your healthcare practitioner to maintain the proper hormone balance. This is especially true if you also use other supplements or herbs, as they may interact with your medications, including hormone treatments.
Read the rest here:
Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017
- Physical Exercise for Men With Andropause - satPRnews (press release) - May 12th, 2017
- Of men's physical problems - The Herald - May 12th, 2017
- Successful Aging and the important role hormones play - Glendale Star - May 12th, 2017
- Low libido? This may be the reason - Bel Marra Health - May 3rd, 2017
- 9 Surprising Facts About Your Sex Drive (and Your Partner's!) - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 30th, 2017
- Male Menopause: The Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Worried about low T? Treatments unlikely to deliver what they promise -- and could hurt you - Genetic Literacy Project - April 26th, 2017
- Dr. Paul Clayton, SSO of Gencor and Researcher of Testofen, is Interviewed on FiveHundo.com - Yahoo Finance - April 26th, 2017
- Is male menopause real? Low testosterone level signs and treatment tips - Bel Marra Health - April 24th, 2017
- A sports car with an attractive price - Reflejos - April 24th, 2017
- Depressed and Craving Carbs? - Newsmax - April 21st, 2017
- Irritable Male Syndrome: The First Hidden Cause of Mid-Life Marriage Meltdown - The Good Men Project (blog) - April 16th, 2017
- Can osteoporosis be reversed? 14 natural ways to treat osteoporosis - Bel Marra Health - April 8th, 2017
- The one thing every man should do for his health - Bel Marra Health - April 1st, 2017
- Mood swings in men (irritable male syndrome): Causes, symptoms, and prevention - Bel Marra Health - March 22nd, 2017
- Voveran sr navartis - Voveran sr novartis - Novartis voveran sr 100 - 5685 Completed ORDERS Today! - Barnsdalltimes - March 19th, 2017
- 'I'm applying for disability': Not-so-Average artist's life takes a new turn - The Province - March 15th, 2017
- Hot flashes after eating or drinking: Causes and treatment tips - Bel Marra Health - March 11th, 2017
- Managing menopause | UDaily - University of Delaware - UDaily - March 8th, 2017