First of all it is important to make clear that andropause isn't the male version of menopause, says consultant urologist Dr Datesh Daneshwal.
"While all women go through menopause, all men do not experience andropause. It's not supposed to happen to every man and it only affects a very small percentage of men," he says.
Andropause is a condition where men experience a decrease in their testosterone levels that is not normal. While all men do start losing testosterone after the age of 30, the decrease isn't very significant (about 1% a year) and should not affect their well-being. Very different from menopause which signifies a sudden decrease in a womans hormone levels that causes ovulation to cease.
But sometimes, when a man's biochemical dip is more drastic, it can cause a broad range of symptoms that affect their overall health and temperament.
These symptoms include a decline in muscle mass and strength, a buildup of body fat, a loss of bone density, flagging energy, emotional instability, deranged sugar and cholesterol levels, lowered fertility and fading virility.
"A drop in testosterone coupled with these symptoms is what is classified as andropause. When it interferes with your well-being and health," explains Dr Datesh. "Many people have a misconception that testosterone is purely for sexual function which it is not. It is the elixir that keeps the brain sharp, affects one's mood, muscle bulk and weight management and also collesterol and sugar levels. Low testosterone can cause insomnia and depression and, of course, sexual dysfunction too. Men need a certain level of testosterone to function well in all aspects of their life and if it dips too low, their health is at risk," says Dr Datesh
David was 38 when he started noticing the symptoms.
"I was experiencing a gradual but progressive decline of erectile function, decreased libido, frequent and more prolonged periods of low moods, decreased energy levels and frustration, sadness and despair that my interest in the opposite gender was not what it once was," says David who is now 61.
Although he initially started taking Viagra to help with his sexual dysfunction, David decided to consult a doctor when the symptoms persisted.
"For many years, l absorbed myself in my work and largely shrugged off and just accepted my symptoms without question. ince retiring a few years ago, l have had the time to become more aware of the physical and psychological fallout these symptoms have been having on me. The biggest psychological symptom was the diminishing confidence that l keenly felt in pursuing new relationships with women (l am, and always have been, a single guy) not least because l was conscious of the increasing difficulty of consummating such relationships.
"On a physical level, l felt myself becoming more anxious and subject to low moods as well as experiencing decreasing energy levels. I felt that l owed it to myself to get my symptoms properly evaluated by qualified professionals in this area," he said.
David was diagnosed with hypogonadism, a condition where the body doesn't produce enough testosterone which can occur from birth or later in life, often from injury or infection. He is currently on testosterone replacement treatment as well as medicine for erectile dysfunction which he says has helped him tremendously.
"Physically, l feel more energised, l have a stronger libido and my erectile functioning difficulties have been greatly improved, with further improvements anticipated after further testosterone injections. Psychologically, my confidence in interacting with women has been greatly boosted l think this is the most dramatic change l have notice.
"My advise to other men who are going through this is to not ignore the symptoms but to take action! Go and get specialist advice initially from your doctor and better still from a Urologist who has special expertise in this area. Please do not be embarrassed about talking through your symptoms with a doctor or urologist, particularly around erectile dysfunction. Remember that these medical people have seen and heard it all before many, many times. ln most cases your symptoms are likely to be physiological rather than psychological and can be resolved with treatment," says David.
Strength training exercises and a healthy lifestyle can stimulate the body's own production of testosterone. Photo: Pixabay
The stigma is real
Although there is a lot of literature available or andropause, men rarely seek medical help even when the symptoms can be affecting their life significantly, notes Dr Datesh.
"There is a stigma associated with this, unfortunately. And that's because we immediately associate testosterone with sexual function. That's why we need to raise awareness about how men need healthy levels of testosterone to lead a healthy life all around. If you are over 40 and are not feeling yourself notice that you put on weight, lose muscle bulk, emotional instability, find you are no longer attracted to your partner anymore, come and get tested. All it takes is a simple blood test and if it is because of low levels of testosterone, there is a solution now. You can get treated and change your life not just for yourself but for your family too," says the urologist from Prince Court Medical Centre.
Hormone replacement therapies for men come in the forms of pills, injections and gels although the most effective and popular option in Malaysia are thelong-term injections that are adinistered every three months.
"Hormone replacement is a science though and cannot be administered simply without ruling out a few things. First and most importantly, we have to make sure that the patient has no signs of prostate cancer because testosterone is fuel for prostate cancer cells. Second, while testosterone administered externally may help with a man's virility, it may affect his fertility. These things have to be discussed with the patient before he starts on treatment," says Dr Datesh.
How long a patient has to be on them really depends on the individual, he says.
I have had patients who, after a couple of doses, were feeling better and able to resume an active lifestyle which can stimulate the body's ability to produce it's own testosterone," he explains.
Men experiencing the symptoms of andropause are advised to make healthier lifestyle choices. Aerobic exercise to release endorphins that improve mood, strength training to increase blood flow and strengthen the hear as well a healthy diet and a decrease in alcohol and tobacco intake.
Muscle-building exercises, he says, can encourage the body's own production of testosterone.
"But a person experiencing andropause will not have the energy to do weight training - they'd need a boost of hormones get they them feeling energised enough to start exercising and building their body up," he says.
- The Movember Series: Must make safe spaces for men to talk about their health: Nivendra Uduman - nation.lk - The Nation Newspaper - November 28th, 2020
- Understanding the andropause. - High50 - November 28th, 2020
- Irish men urged not to ignore andropause symptoms - Agriland - November 16th, 2020
- Hormonal Imbalance And Anxiety: Expert Explains The Link And Tips To Fight Hormonal Anxiety - NDTV - September 16th, 2020
- The male menopause and mental health | Health - Jamaica Gleaner - September 10th, 2020
- Do you know about Andropause aka male menopause? - The Indian Express - July 25th, 2020
- Why men suffer from Andropause | Health Fitness Gulf News - gulfnews.com - July 25th, 2020
- Dr.Mathabe Explains Why Men Need To Know Their Health Risks - Longevity LIVE - July 3rd, 2020
- How to be fit and have fun after 40 - The Hindu - June 1st, 2020
- Warning Signs of Male Menopause: Are You at Risk? - May 23rd, 2020
- Irritable Male Syndrome: What Sheep And Middle-Aged Men Have In Common - World Atlas - May 12th, 2020
- Revitalize You MD Reveals That Demand for Botox Remains Strong in Georgia - Press Release - Digital Journal - May 6th, 2020
- Andropause: What It Is and How to Treat It | Reader's Digest - March 3rd, 2020
- Men May Be Going Extinct as They Are the Weaker Sex - Gilmore Health News - February 7th, 2020
- Male Menopause: Overview, Symptoms, and Treatment - January 30th, 2020
- Healthy Men: Benefits of male hormone replacement therapy - Duluth News Tribune - January 30th, 2020
- Red Velvet's Joy On How She Relieves Stress, Reveals Her Hopes For 2020 - soompi - January 12th, 2020
- Red Velvet Joy As A Special Guest In "Happy Together + Explains How She Deals With Stress And Shares Wishes For 2020 - Kdramastars - January 10th, 2020
- Yes, middle age-spread is real and dangerous - Ottawa Citizen - December 12th, 2019
- Andropause or male menopause: Causes and symptoms - Times of India - November 25th, 2019
- Quality Of Life And Stigma Among People Living With HIV/AIDS In Iran | HIV - Dove Medical Press - November 16th, 2019
- Male Menopause? Andropause | Chicago Health magazine - October 4th, 2019
- Andropause: A Helpful and Insightful Guide to Male Menopause - October 2nd, 2019
- The 'male menopause' - NHS - June 24th, 2019
- Andropause | Integrative Health Solutions - May 26th, 2019
- Andropause - Dr.Tan & Partners - May 26th, 2019
- The Complete Guide to Andropause + 5 Causes of Low ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | Oriental Health Solutions - April 30th, 2019
- What Are the Symptoms of Andropause? - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause | The Journals of Gerontology: Series A ... - April 30th, 2019
- Andropause - Male Menopause - My Second Spring - April 30th, 2019
- 6 Midlife Crisis Stages by Jim Conway - Andropause ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Andropause | Psychology Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 11th, 2019
- Andropause Symptoms in Men | BioTE Medical - March 7th, 2019
- What Is Andropause and How Can You Treat It ... - February 8th, 2019
- Andropause or Male Menopause: What Causes It? - HealthXchange - February 2nd, 2019
- Andropause - Women's International Pharmacy - September 15th, 2018
- Are You Experiencing Andropause? - PornHub.com - September 11th, 2018
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy / Andropause Olympia ... - May 30th, 2018
- What is Andropause? - Global Healing Center Health ... - May 27th, 2018
- Andropause - Male Menopause with Low Testosterone Levels - May 25th, 2018
- Midlife Crisis - Andropause Society - Testosterone Deficiency - May 14th, 2018
- Andropause & Testosterone Treatment Singapore | Men's Health - April 26th, 2018
- Top 8 Andropause Natural Treatment Options ... - April 26th, 2018
- Andropause Symptoms | Andropause Symptoms - April 2nd, 2018
- Andropause and Mental health Issues Psychological ... - February 18th, 2018
- Advanced Health and Vitality - February 9th, 2018
- Night Sweats In Men | Help For Night Sweats - January 31st, 2018
- Male Andropause Hormone Testing | ZRT Laboratory - November 18th, 2017
- Is Andropause Real? - Doctor Murray - October 7th, 2017
- Is Menopause Misery a Disease? - South Florida Reporter - September 4th, 2017
- Super kamagra - Super kamagra usa - Forward Florida - August 31st, 2017
- Anatomy and physiology of ageing 8: the reproductive system - Nursing Times - August 29th, 2017
- Do men go through menopause? - Bel Marra Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Kamagra soft tablets - Kamagra soft tabs - Filipino Express - August 20th, 2017
- Viagra super active canada - Best over the counter viagra alternative - The Santa Clara - August 20th, 2017
- Buy kamagra oral jelly sydney australia - Bournville Village - August 8th, 2017
- Risks of taking expired viagra - Viagra and red bull safe - The Maravi Post - August 2nd, 2017
- Jury: AbbVie should pay $150M for Androgel marketing; AbbVie ... - Cook County Record - July 31st, 2017
- AndroGel Testosterone Lawsuit Plaintiff Awarded $150 Million for ... - RX Injury Help (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Golden Lion Review (UPDATED 2017): Don't Buy Before You Read This! - Diets In Review (blog) - July 11th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system | www.qgazette ... - Western Queens Gazette - July 8th, 2017
- Dumaguing: Do men undergo menopause? | SunStar - Sun.Star - July 7th, 2017
- Andropause: Male 'Menopause' - Jewish Link of New Jersey - July 6th, 2017
- How aging changes a man's reproductive system - Western Queens Gazette - July 5th, 2017
- What Are the Signs of Male Menopause? - July 3rd, 2017
- Men, your biological clocks are ticking too - Mumbai Mirror - Mumbai Mirror - June 24th, 2017
- Rawlings suffering from andropause at age 70 - Mallam Issah - GhanaWeb - June 24th, 2017
- Testosterone Support Still Going Strong in Men's Supplements ... - Nutritional Outlook - June 17th, 2017
- The Physical Pain Of Aging Is Not Inevitable - Forbes - June 17th, 2017
- What is Ostarine and Why are Weightlifters Taking It? - The Barbell Spin (blog) - June 17th, 2017
- Bayer levitra professional pro - Cheap levitra professional - Levitra professional overnight delivery - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- Online video poker ratings - Gambling site - Casino games online in usa - MassisPost - June 5th, 2017
- No download casinos for mac - Best line casino - Best rated us online casino - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Leading American Male Health Clinics Released in New Report - Digital Journal - June 2nd, 2017
- French kiss video - Chatham ontario - Widowed women - MassisPost - June 2nd, 2017
- Shim Clinic Providing STD and HIV Testing Facilities at its Centers in Singapore - satPRnews (press release) - June 2nd, 2017
- Boost sex drive: These are the five supplements EVERY man should be taking - Express.co.uk - May 26th, 2017
- Millendo Therapeutics Announces MLE4901 Data Presentations at ... - Business Wire (press release) - May 16th, 2017
- Why Is The Risk Of Getting Cancer Higher Than It Used To Be? - Forbes - May 12th, 2017