More Americans weighed over 200 pounds in the 2010s than in the previous decadeand more than ever are content with being heavier, according to data released Wednesday by Gallup.
The data came from Gallup's Health and Healthcare survey, which the organization said was conducted in November of each year. The survey responses for 2019 were collected between November 1 and November 14 from a random selection of 1,015 adults living in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Most people in the United States are overweight or obese, according to data from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. In 2013 and 2014, about 70 percent of Americans had body mass indices above 25, which is considered the threshold of a "healthy" weight. BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight.
Analysis of Gallup's survey responses from Americans in the closing 2010s revealed that more reported weighing over 200 pounds than in the decade that began in 2001. While, in the previous decade, only 12 percent of women said they weighed over 200 pounds, that increased to 14 percent between 2010 and 2019. The uptick in higher reported weights was slightly steeper among men; 38 percent between 2001 and 2009 said they were over 200 pounds, while 42 percent said they were at least that heavy in the current decade.
Eliminating gender as a variable and considering national averages, just under a quarter (24 percent) of Americans said they weighed over 200 pounds in the previous decade, while 28 percent in 2010 to 2019 said so. Furthermore, the average self-reported weight of Americans has also risen slightlyfrom 174 pounds in the previous decade to 178 in the present one.
Coupled with the fact that its respondents on average reported weighing more, one of the survey's most striking findings might be that fewer Americans said that they cared about losing weight. Fifty-four percent of all Americans (47 percent of men and 60 percent of women) in the 2010s said they wanted to lose weight, down from 59 percent (52 percent of men and 65 percent of women) between 2000 and 2009.
As Americans have simultaneously gotten heavier and become less likely to be bothered by higher weights, the data Gallup gathered through the decade indicates that fewer Americans considered themselves to be "overweight" during the most recent decade than in the 2000s.
Even though their weights are higher on average, slightly more respondents said that their weight was "about right" in this decade compared with the past one53 percent to 56 percent. While 41 percent of all respondents said that they were "very" or "somewhat" overweight in the previous decade, that number had dropped to 38 percent between 2010 and 2019.
Gallup's findings on Americans' rising ambivalence to being overweight appeared to directly contradict those of a study published on November 13 in the journal JAMA Network Open. That study, which involved 48,026 people between the ages of 40 and 64, indicated that the number of Americans trying to lose weight was on the rise. According to the study, in 1999 34.3 percent of the population said they were trying to actively lose weight, compared to 42.2 percent in 2016. Both studies found that Americans, generally, have gained weight.
So, what does this apparent increasing acceptance of heavier bodies, as reported by Gallup, mean for America's future? Some groups, such as the National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance, which is devoted to normalizing fat bodies and ending the bullying of overweight and obese children, might welcome Gallup's findings as an indication that their campaign is working.
In its own write-up on the findings, Gallup took a more negative tone, asserting that the data demonstrated the failure of organized efforts in the 2010s to combat obesity, which it described as an "epidemic" responsible for 20 percent of deaths in the U.S. every year.
"The current efforts to address the issue have evidently not been sufficient, and a new approach is likely warranted to convince Americans of the need to curb their weight," according to Gallup.
- Effective Exercise Tips If You Want To Lose Weight Ahead Of Summer - Medical Daily - January 21st, 2020
- SMART Carpet and Flooring Issues New Year's Resolution Reminder: 'Remember Your Promise to Lose Weight and Stay Fit This Year? Get Started With Brand... - January 21st, 2020
- Losing a little weight can lower the risk of breast cancer - WTNH.com - January 21st, 2020
- Going for Short Walks Every Day Led to This Guy Losing 140 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 21st, 2020
- Is jogging really effective for weight loss? - The Standard - January 21st, 2020
- 'After Being Prescribed Diet Pills, I Found A Natural Way To Maintain My Weight With The 80-20 Diet' - msnNOW - January 21st, 2020
- 21 January 2020 6 steps to successful weight loss for women Obesity researcher Dr Nick Fuller - News - The University of Sydney - January 21st, 2020
- Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - ABC 4 - January 21st, 2020
- How to lose weight and live longer, by Britain's top diabetes expert - The Times - January 21st, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's trainer praises her dedication to losing weight, says she has been 'putting in the yards' daily - MEAWW - January 21st, 2020
- Losing weight in aid of Stepping Stone Hospice - Southern Courier - January 21st, 2020
- Small Diet Changes And A Push-Pull-Legs Routine Helped This Guy Drop 23Kg - Men's Health - January 21st, 2020
- Your Health Family: Feeling down and sluggish? Your thyroid could be to blame - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - January 21st, 2020
- Quick Bodyweight Workouts to Do When You Don't Feel Like Going to the Gym - Men's Journal - January 21st, 2020
- The inspiring story of one man's 330lbs body transformation - JOE.co.uk - January 21st, 2020
- This is basically promoting eating disorders Shoppers slam The Range for selling a bikini body weight loss aid - goodtoknow - January 21st, 2020
- Keto diet isnt the answer for weight loss, experts say. Heres what is - USA TODAY - January 20th, 2020
- Trying to lose weight? Eat your meal alone - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Losing weight off this organ helps improve sleep apnoea - The Star Online - January 20th, 2020
- 'I Followed The 80-20 Diet Rule And Tracked My Macros With MyFitnessPalAnd I Lost 40 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 20th, 2020
- James Martin weight loss how did the chef lose weight? - The Sun - January 20th, 2020
- Effective Steps for CrossFit Athletes to Lose Weight Without Counting Calories - BOXROX - January 20th, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2020
- Adele's body transformation was 'never about losing weight' - 9TheFIX - January 20th, 2020
- Fitness Revolution is helping me achieve my goals - Lake Placid Diet by Andy Flynn - LakePlacidNews.com | News and information on the Lake Placid and... - January 20th, 2020
- The reason is not divorced: why Adele is rapidly losing weight - The Times Hub - January 20th, 2020
- Singapore #Fitspo of the Week: Rayson Yong - Yahoo Singapore News - January 20th, 2020
- The Military diet: how does it work and can it order you to lose weight? - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat: 5 ways to feel better and reveal your abs in 2020 - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson flaunts amazing weight loss transformation after declaring 2020 her 'year of health' - Fox News - January 17th, 2020
- Weed and weight: Why are cannabis consumers slimmer? - Leafly - January 17th, 2020
- Weight loss with the 5:2 diet: requires willpower but can be powerfully effective - T3 - January 17th, 2020
- Women say having clear skin, losing weight and clean hair is the secret to getting an instant confidence boost - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Drinking This Much Water Per Day Was the Key to Jessica Simpson's 100 lb Weight Loss - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose belly fat with 5 simple tips and reveal those abs - The Sun - January 17th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Is it possible to lose weight without performing cardio? - Times of India - January 17th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge: The Lose Weight and Get Fit chef on trying to regain fitness and why carbs are back on the menu - inews - January 17th, 2020
- How to lose weight with just 5 healthy food swaps - Better Homes and Gardens - January 17th, 2020
- Malaysian teen shares painful experience of being body shamed despite losing weight, going to the gym - Malay Mail - January 17th, 2020
- Steve Harvey Tells Ellen DeGeneres He Stopped Trying to Lose Weight and He'll Just Make More Money Instead - AmoMama - January 17th, 2020
- 'I Made A Decision To Get Fit, Lose Weight And Push On To Being An Outfield Player' - Balls.ie - January 17th, 2020
- 22 Ways to Lose Weight Without Breaking a Sweat - Greatist - January 15th, 2020
- Why you may not be losing weight on the keto diet - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Woodlands business owner aims to teach proper dieting for weight loss - Houston Chronicle - January 15th, 2020
- What 10 Obesity Experts Wish You Knew About Weight Loss - Prevention.com - January 15th, 2020
- Truth About Kate Middleton Starving Herself, Losing Weight While Trying To Get Pregnant - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- We must consider the consequences of diet culture - Daily Trojan Online - January 15th, 2020
- How To Lose Belly Fat: Avoid One Drink Regarded By Many As Healthy - International Business Times - January 15th, 2020
- Mum thought diet was making her lose weight - but it was breast cancer - Derbyshire Live - January 15th, 2020
- Is it your New Year's Resolution to lose weight, and lead a healthier lifestyle? - Leyton Orient FC - January 15th, 2020
- What is the DASH Diet? Guidelines for Losing Weight on the DASH Diet - Parade - January 15th, 2020
- Best breakfast for easy weight loss - eat this protein-fuelled food to lose weight fast - Express - January 15th, 2020
- How to lose weight in 6 months, according to this guy who lost 30 kgs by following this healthy plan - GQ India - January 15th, 2020
- Len Romes Local Health: Are you keeping to your resolution? - WYTV - January 15th, 2020
- 'I Counted Calories And Stuck To The 80-20 Rule To Lose WeightAnd I've Lost Over 150 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 4th, 2020
- Healthy Actions: Lets start the new year off on the right exercise foot - Akron Beacon Journal - January 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: What is the best way to slim down? Expert reveals top tips - Express - January 4th, 2020
- Blown your resolutions already? Tips for getting what you really want. - Seattle Times - January 4th, 2020
- Simon Cowell delighted with appearance following 20lbs weight loss - ABC FOX Montana - January 4th, 2020
- Tennis ace Jelena Dokic shows off incredible weight loss transformation after losing 53kg in 18 months - New Idea - January 4th, 2020
- How Keto and Walking Helped This Guy Lose Nearly 90 Pounds - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Could this be the last diet you'll ever need to do? - The Times - January 4th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How to Use Matcha Tea to Lose Weight - LatestLY - January 4th, 2020
- Full cream milk vs toned milk: Which one is better? - Times of India - January 4th, 2020
- How to lose weight and get fit in 2020: 20 easy tips, diet hacks and workout routines to help you get started - GQ India - January 4th, 2020
- Four stone weight loss has changed the life of Tipperary woman Paula - TipperaryLive.ie - January 4th, 2020
- 'Inspirational' mum transforms her life after long battle to lose weight and quit smoking - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - January 4th, 2020
- The New Year's Resolution that usually fails within the first month - Jacaranda FM - January 4th, 2020
- Why dieting can lead to loneliness - From the Grapevine - January 4th, 2020
- The Smart Equestrian's List to Brightening the Winter Blues - TheHorse.com - January 4th, 2020
- Getting fit, losing weight now easier at the Family Y - The Augusta Chronicle - January 2nd, 2020
- Man who lost 200lbs gives tips on losing weight, keeping it off - WISN Milwaukee - January 2nd, 2020
- Tipperary group celebrate year of great weight loss with Chatty Man Alan Carr - TipperaryLive.ie - January 2nd, 2020
- Best cars for achieving your New Years resolutions - Boston Herald - January 2nd, 2020
- Tyler Whitman From 'Million Dollar Listing' Reveals the One Big Weight Loss Move to Make for 2020 - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 2nd, 2020
- 5 reasons why you should try running and the best running gear you'll need - T3 - January 2nd, 2020
- NY's resolution to lose weight; study finds fasting could add years to life - KFI AM 640 - January 2nd, 2020
- Mark Labbett weight loss: The Beast drops three stone by cutting out one thing from diet - Express - January 2nd, 2020
- If You're Trying to Lose Weight, Should You Try Whole30? Here's What Registered Dietitians Say - POPSUGAR - January 2nd, 2020
- 'I thought I'd be in a wheelchair forever' - how weight loss has transformed this Blackpool mum's life - Blackpool Gazette - January 2nd, 2020