All-day morning sickness All Woman Wednesday, August 02, 2017 , BY PENDA HONEYGHAN
IT'S quite common for pregnant women to experience nausea in the early hours of the day, but more women are reporting that they struggle with 'morning sickness' at much later hours. Obstetrician-gynaecologist at ICON Medical Centre Dr Keisha Buchanan says that even though less common, this is completely normal.
Morning sickness, which is the vomiting that occurs in pregnancy, may affect a woman at any time during the day or night. In fact, the term 'morning sickness' may be a bit misleading, as some pregnant women vomit more at night than in the day, and a few women vomit only at night, she explained.
She pointed out that vomiting occurs because of a steady rise in the pregnancy hormones such as beta human chorionic gonadotropin (Beta HCG). This hormone, which is produced during pregnancy, is the one detected by a pregnancy test when positive.
Nocturnal vomiting can be likened to a nightmare because it steals so much sleep time, and for working women in particular, this can be quite difficult.
Vomiting at night does not only disrupt sleep but can cause exhaustion throughout the following day. This can significantly contribute to poor performance at work, loss of days at work, lethargy, nutrient deficiency, weight loss, dehydration, electrolyte derangement and weight loss, Dr Buchanan outlined.
She said that while most pregnant woman tend to experience bouts of vomiting, some women are more prone because of varying existing medical conditions.
Women more prone are those who have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), who have severe vomiting such as with hyperemesis gravidarum, women with twins, triplets and other types of multiple pregnancies, and those with deformities in the stomach/oesophagus for example, a hiatal hernia. In a hiatal hernia the stomach protrudes from the abdominal cavity, where it should be, into the chest cavity, and this gets worse at night and triggers vomiting, Dr Buchanan explained.
However, Dr Buchanan said that no matter what the causes, women don't have to suffer through it. Below she suggests some ways that you can get relief.
1. Modify your diet and pay close attention to what is eaten in the day. Adhering to a bland diet consisting of complex carbohydrates, high-protein meals, and avoiding overeating and caffeine should give you some relief.
2. The regular diet in pregnancy should consist of three regular meals and two to three snacks throughout the day. Try to stay as close to this recommendation as possible.
3. Avoid spicy or greasy meals, carbonated beverages and acidic foods or drinks during the day.
4. Always eat in small portions. Also, avoid gobbling down large quantities of food close to bedtime. This will help to prevent vomiting at night.
5. Have a supper that consists of ginger tea or peppermint tea or ginger biscuits or other foods consisting of ginger. You can also chew a piece of ginger or have ginger- flavoured drinks to prevent or decrease vomiting.
6. Avoid strong odours such as strong-smelling body washes at bedtime, or strong perfumes or lotions, and ask your spouse to avoid exposing you to these, as they can trigger nausea and vomiting.
7. Rinse your mouth thoroughly before going to bed. Practise good oral hygiene such as brushing the teeth and flossing, as this will help to remove food particles. Some food residues in the mouth may trigger the urge to vomit.
8. Avoid getting hungry throughout the day and at bedtime, as hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) can trigger nausea and vomiting. Have a small snack between meals and close to bedtime.
9. Take your prenatal vitamins and additional vitamins such as B6 25 mg three times per day. This will help to prevent nausea and vomiting at night.
In some instances, however, Dr Buchanan acknowledges that non-medical options may not be enough. She said to support these women there are a number of drugs available.
Medications can help to prevent or treat vomiting such as dimenhydrinate, granisetron, antihistamines, ondansetron, and reflux disease can be treated with proton pump inhibitors such as lansoprazole and antacids. These medications are safe in all trimesters and will not cause birth defects or harm the baby. In fact, they can improve the pregnancy and prevent complications such as stomach bleeding, dehydration, nutrient deficiencies, daytime drowsiness (drowsiness from lack of sleep can increase the risk of accidents during the day). All of these can have potentially serious complications, Dr Buchanan shared.
She also advised women to seek medical attention, especially when vomiting is severe, since not all forms of vomiting are pregnancy-related and could be a sign of gallstones, an inflamed gallbladder, or peptic ulcer disease. Naturally, pregnancy-related vomiting will subside by the early second trimester, although a few women will vomit until the third trimester. In case vomiting develops later in the pregnancy, Dr Buchanan said that medical attention should be sought, because it may be linked to something serious.
Vomiting at this stage may be due to gastroenteritis or reflux disease, but more serious conditions such as preeclampsia (very common), and liver disease (rare) can be heralded by vomiting. Vomiting that starts in the late second or third trimester is rarely ever morning sickness, Dr Buchanan cautioned.
See more here:
All-day morning sickness - Jamaica Observer
- Hcg Diet Average Weight Loss - How much will I lose? | HCG ... - September 7th, 2019
- How Much HCG Injections Dosage for Weight Loss ... - July 1st, 2019
- Average Weight Loss on the hCG Diet During 21 or 40 Days - June 21st, 2019
- How to Determine Your hCG Dosage for Weight Loss - June 21st, 2019
- The HCG Diet Plan | Rapid Weight Loss in Wilmington NC ... - June 5th, 2019
- HCG Diet - Soboba Medical Weight Loss Group - May 19th, 2019
- HCG Diet Recipes - HCG Weight Loss Recipes - May 19th, 2019
- How To Lose The Most Weight With The HCG Diet | Your HCG Diet - April 22nd, 2019
- The 800 Calorie HCG Diet Plan & Weight Loss - April 20th, 2019
- Boston HCG Diet - Rosy Sandhu, M.D. - HCG Weight Loss ... - March 31st, 2019
- The Right Way to Use HCG For Weight Loss (Not the HCG Diet) - March 13th, 2019
- Dr. Shauna Wright - Denver HCG Doctor - HCG Diet Denver - March 11th, 2019
- HCG and Weight Loss: What is the HCG diet protocol ... - February 7th, 2019
- HCG Weight Loss Las Vegas - TrimBody M.D - January 28th, 2019
- Loakhnauth Ramkishun, M.D. - Orlando HCG Diet and Weight ... - January 24th, 2019
- The Ultimate HCG Diet Plan - HCG Diet - January 20th, 2019
- HCG Diet Success Program - Lose 30-40 Lbs in Next 40 Days - December 29th, 2018
- HCG diet Coach - hCG Protocol | hCG Weight Loss - November 1st, 2018
- SAUNA-HCG Diet Indy & Weight Lose Fast - Supervision ... - July 23rd, 2018
- HCG Diet | Houston Weight Loss Clinic - July 23rd, 2018
- HCG Diet - Rapid Weight Loss Centers - May 13th, 2018
- Best HCG Drops Reviews 2018 Updated - Safe Weight Loss ... - April 28th, 2018
- HCG Diet Weight Loss Center in Everett Washington - Everett HCG Diet ... - April 11th, 2018
- 5 Best Selling HCG Diet Drops For Weight Loss: Buy The ... - April 6th, 2018
- HCG Diet Drops - HCG Diet - March 30th, 2018
- 156 HCG Diet Recipes for Maximum Weight Loss - HCG Diet - March 20th, 2018
- hCG Diet Information - Johannesburg Based Diet Weight Loss ... - February 15th, 2018
- Medical Weight Loss - Hormone Replacement Therapy and HCG ... - February 15th, 2018
- Hickory Weight Loss Medical Weight Loss using HCG ... - January 29th, 2018
- HCG Diet - Weight Loss | Body Solutions Rx Weight Loss ... - January 8th, 2018
- Everett HCG Diet | HCG Diet Weight Loss Center in Everett ... - December 25th, 2017
- hCG for Weight Loss Hendersonville TN, HCG Diet, HCG ... - December 22nd, 2017
- HCG Diet Program | Weight Loss Wilmington NC | Metro MediSpa - December 22nd, 2017
- 500 Cal diet w/HCG verses 500 Cal diet without - Weight ... - November 18th, 2017
- Hcg Diet Info - The Hcg Diet Plan Authority - Hcg Diet for ... - November 13th, 2017
- The hCG Diet Plan Dangers and Misleading Weight Loss ... - November 8th, 2017
- HCG Diet Virginia | Physician Supervised Weight Loss - October 24th, 2017
- Weight Loss Hendersonville TN, HCG Diet, Anti Aging, Diet ... - October 17th, 2017
- Review of HCG for Weight Loss: Injections and Drops - October 13th, 2017
- What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum? - Ahmedabad Mirror - September 6th, 2017
- HCG Diet Drops For Weight Loss : Everything You Should ... - September 4th, 2017
- What is hyperemesis gravidarum? Pregnant Kate Middleton again suffering rare severe morning sickness condition - Mirror.co.uk - September 4th, 2017
- The hCG Diet helped this woman lose 85 pounds, but this inspired her to keep the weight off - Yahoo Health - September 2nd, 2017
- weight loss program - Shape Magazine: Diet, fitness and ... - August 25th, 2017
- Ageless Wellness utilizes unique Ideal Protein protocol for weight loss - The Citizen.com - August 18th, 2017
- hCG Diet | hCG Protocol | hCG Weight Loss | hCG Diet ... - August 14th, 2017
- Effect of drugs on the brain ppt - Creatine kinase total serum high - The Maravi Post - July 31st, 2017
- 'There's nothing more annoying than a friend on a diet' - 9Honey - July 31st, 2017
- HCG Drops Review | (UPDATED) Diet Drops an Answer to ... - July 9th, 2017