Its time to lighten your loadliterally. Carrying around extra weight isnt good for your body. You know that. But staying at a healthy weight is easier said than done. This weight management checklist helps you focus your energy on impactful activities. Start checking off items and building momentum to achieve weight management goals.
Maintaining a healthy weight is all about the balance of calories in and calories out. Use more than you take in and you lose weight. Do the opposite, and you gain. If theyre balanced, thats how you maintain.
This means a focus on diet and exercise together. But this weight management checklist goes deeper and provides simple tips to get you started.
Its time to start checking off some boxes.
Determining your target weight isnt a guessing game. There are many factors that can help you determine the right number for you.
The most common way to figure out a healthy weight is using the Body Mass Index (BMI). This is a ratio of your height to weight. This is going to involve some math, but you can do it (or use a BMI calculator). You can find your BMI with this equation:
Weight in Kilograms(kg)/(Height in meters)2
Heres an example: Dave is 84 kg (or about 185 pounds) and 1.8288 meters (six feet tall). His BMI would be 25.1, which is just barely in the overweight range. (Heres the math: 1.8288 squared is 3.345, and 84 divided by 3.345 is 25.1.)
The healthy range for BMI is 18.5 to 24.9. Thats what you want to aim for. There are charts available that will give you the healthy weight range for your height.
But BMI isnt everything. Its a very simple calculation that doesnt consider different circumstances.
You can also use measurements like body fat percent or determining belly circumference (around the belly button) to help determine your ideal weight. Body fat percentages should be less than 31% for women and 25% for men.Belly circumferences should be less than 40 inches (102 cm) for men and 35 inches (88 cm) for women.
If this is all a little bit overwhelming (and math can do that) you can always talk to your doctor, dietician, or nutritionist. Theyre great resources.
Calories arent scary or mysterious. Theyre simply the units used to measure energy in your food. And you need calories to run all the processes of your body.
Most of what you see about calories is based on an average diet of 2,000 calories per day for women and 2,500 a day for men. Thats a good starting place. But there are many factors to consider when assessing your daily calorie needs.
Weight and activity are probably the biggest considerations. A larger person needs more calories. Thats because you need more energy to move around more weight. And if youre on the go a lot or youre an athlete, you need more fuel to support that extra activity.
Age and sex are two other factors. Calorie needs decrease with age. And men need about 500 more calories per day (on average) than women. Thats mostly due to their overall larger size and the fact that they have a higher basal metabolic rate or BMR.
BMR is what your body burns at rest. About two-thirds of your calories are used this wayjust to keep your body running smoothly. Those are like freebies. The rest of your calories are burned because of activities you do during the day.
There are calculators that will tell you your BMR and how many calories you need to maintain your weight. But for simplicitys sake, if youre a man, it should be around 2,500 calories. If youre a woman, that number is around 2,000.
Use those as the starting point for maintaining a healthy weight. You can adjust your needs if youre more active, larger, or have other health considerations.
You know how much fuel (calories) your body needs. But counting calories is just a part of planning your perfect weight-management diet.
The foods you choose to acquire those calories makes a big difference. Think about how 300 calories of sugary treats compare to 300 calories of almonds and fruit.One will fill you up with fiber, sustained energy, and micronutrients. The sugary snack is empty energy that can lead to a crash.
Like any healthy diet, you should target a balance of nutrient-rich protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats. Focus on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, plant-based fats, and foods with fiber.
Protein (especially in the morning) and fiber are especially important. You only absorb half the available calories in fiber. And it helps you feel full for longer. Also, dont forget to drink plenty of water.
Any diet should give you a foundation of vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds. Its the starting point for getting your body all the nutrients it needs.
The best exercise plan is one you can follow. Thats a popular saying, but its true (the same is true for your diet, too). You dont want to make these common mistakes:
Being honest with yourself about your fitness levelwill help you avoid jumping into something too hard. You really shouldnt run before you walk. So, assess where you are and workin steps, since health wont happen all at onceto get where you want to go.
Taking an inventory of healthy activities you enjoy is essential to developing an effective exercise routine. You shouldnt focus on running if you find it boring. Maybe playing a sport works better for you. Figuring out what you like to do will help you look forward to exercise instead of dreading it.
Also, properly set expectations. One trip to the gym isnt going to reshape your body or improve your fitness. Its a process. You have to burn 3,500 calories to eliminate a pound of fat. A good goal is using 500 more calories than you take in each day. That can lead to losing a pound a week.
And remember, exercise is only part of the equation. You cant exercise your way out of bad eating habits. So, you need both as part of your weight-management plan.
You know what you like. You have properly set expectations. Now its time to plan.
Take the activities you like and figure out how many calories youll burn. Then figure out how many minutes are required to hit your goal for the day. You can find these estimates onlineor in a fitness tracker app.
Then carve out time in your daily schedule. Make sure to vary the activities so you dont get bored or fatigue one part of your body too much. Ideally, you should get at least 150 minutes of exercise a week. The easiest way is to split that up into five, 30-minute sessions.
This is the simplest one on paper, but the hardest in practice. Its also the most important part of any weight-management plan.
Understanding your calorie needs is great. Planning the perfect diet and exercise routine is important. Crossing off items on the weight management checklist builds momentum. But youll need action and perseverance to achieve your weight management goals.
So, put your plans into motion. Get out and move. And remember progress and consistencynot perfectionis what you want. Youll have successes and snags, but focus on continuing to move forward, in the direction of your weight-management goals.
A simple way to put it is to be goodeat right and incorporate exercisethe majority of the days of the week.
Read the original:
Achieve Your Goals with This Weight Management Checklist ...
- Lark Health rolls out behavioral health coaching targeted at patients at risk for chronic conditions - MobiHealthNews - January 22nd, 2020
- New year, new you? How to stick to your New Year resolutions - Yes! Weekly - January 22nd, 2020
- Healthy Headlines: Before jumping on the diet bandwagon it's a good idea to learn before you leap - User-generated content - January 22nd, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Factors That Can Have A Sizable Impact On Industry Growth Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 22nd, 2020
- Diet Demand Utilizes Carb Cycling & Low-Carb Dieting Combination to Help Patients Achieve Fast Weight Loss - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Weight Management Equipment Market Executive Summary and Analysis by Top Players 2020-2025 :Ethicon, Inc. (US), Covidien plc... - January 22nd, 2020
- Banfield Pet Hospital's 4th Annual Veterinary Emerging Topics (VET) Report Reveals Pet Obesity Still on the Rise - NBC Right Now - January 22nd, 2020
- Want to win a NutraIngredients-USA Award? What are the judges looking for? - NutraIngredients-usa.com - January 22nd, 2020
- Help! I Watch Horror Movies With My 7-Month-Old. Is That Bad? - Slate - January 22nd, 2020
- Strategic thinking: Brilliant science is only half of the battle for microbiome success - NutraIngredients.com - January 22nd, 2020
- Kidney Beans Health Benefits: THESE are why Rajma aids in weight loss and other health issues - PINKVILLA - January 22nd, 2020
- Include guavas in your winter diet for weight loss, diabetes management and to keep risk of diseases away - Times Now - January 22nd, 2020
- Carrot Nutrition: Benefits Of Carrot, Nutrition Chart And More - NDTV Food - January 22nd, 2020
- Diet Demand Helps Dieters Prepare for Things They May Not Expect on the Keto Diet - Yahoo Finance - January 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market : Checkout The Unexpected Future of 2025 Dagoretti News - Dagoretti News - January 21st, 2020
- The Best Diets For Women Over 50 How to Lose Weight Over 50 - WomansDay.com - January 21st, 2020
- Bruno Huber Elevates Mvenpick BDMS Wellness Resort Bangkok with a State-of-the-Art Clinic - Prestige Online - January 21st, 2020
- We Asked A Nutritionist To Debunk These Celebrity Diets - The Handbook - January 21st, 2020
- Diet Demand Touts Benefits of Heart Healthy Diets for Longevity and Weight Loss - Yahoo Finance - January 20th, 2020
- 7 Common Dieting Mistakes to Avoid, According to Nutritionists - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Vertical Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Fusion Science Academy - January 20th, 2020
- Chef Kunal Kapur Tells Us The Right Way To Include Superfoods In Soups - NDTV - January 20th, 2020
- Weight Loss Supplements Market 2020 Analysis, Industry Growth, Size, Share, Drivers, Profits and Forecast 2025 - Fusion Science Academy - January 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market is Thriving Worldwide with Smart Key Players Herbalife International, Inc., NutriSystem, Inc. - The Industry Research 24 - January 20th, 2020
- HMR Program Offered at HSHS St. Anthony's Judged #1 Best Fast Weight-Loss Diet - Effingham's News and Sports Leader, 979XFM and KJ Country 102.3 -... - January 16th, 2020
- Diet Demand: What is the Sirtfood Diet and How Does It Affect Weight Loss? - Yahoo Finance - January 16th, 2020
- 10 Nutrition Myths That Need to Die (With Jordan Syatt) - BarBend - January 16th, 2020
- Weight Management Programs | Cleveland Clinic - January 15th, 2020
- Weight Management | Atrium Health - January 15th, 2020
- Weight Management | ZRT Laboratory - January 15th, 2020
- FDA: Weight Loss Drug Possibly Linked to Cancer - Cancer Therapy Advisor - January 15th, 2020
- Weight Management Market to witness steady growth increase by 2024 - News ZMR - January 15th, 2020
- Weight loss app Noom has entered healthcare and marketers can learn from its approach - Opinion - MM&M - Medical Marketing and Media - January 15th, 2020
- Why WW International Finished Down 1% in 2019 - The Motley Fool - January 15th, 2020
- All New Things You Should Know About Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2020 - Neptune Pine - January 15th, 2020
- What is the Paleo diet and whether it helps you lose weight - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Size Growth Forecast 2020 to 2025 - News by aeresearch - January 15th, 2020
- AED Publishes Nine Truths about Weight and Eating Disorders - Newswise - January 15th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2020-2029 - Neptune Pine - January 15th, 2020
- Does the keto diet work? - Telegraph India - January 15th, 2020
- How do we help people who struggle with excessive weight without fat-shaming? - The Tri-City News - January 15th, 2020
- How Diet Became The Dirtiest Word In Wellness - Women's Health - January 15th, 2020
- New year, new you: maintaining a healthy weight - British Heart Foundation - January 15th, 2020
- Weight Management Beverages Market with Current Trends Analysis 2018 to 2027 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 12th, 2020
- Arts and crafts workshops, exercise classes and trips to the allotment to be prescribed under new NHS role in Northamptonshire - Northampton Chronicle... - January 12th, 2020
- Count on these handy tips to prevent and manage polycystic ovarian syndrome - The Indian Express - January 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2020 Analysis Focusing On Top Companies- Atkins, Brunswick, Ethicon (Subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson),... - January 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size is set to Grow Exponentially in the coming years - Food & Beverage Herald - January 12th, 2020
- Weight loss in the New Year (and keeping it off for good) - ABC 4 - January 12th, 2020
- 9 Health Goals to Set Beyond Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 12th, 2020
- Weight Management Industry 2019-2024 In-Depth on market Size, Revenue, Share, Latest Trends, Growth Factors, Growth by Top Players and Forecast Report... - January 12th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market -Vertical Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - BulletintheNews - January 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss And Weight Management Market Overview by Rising Trends, Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2024 - Expert... - January 12th, 2020
- Experts Weigh In on the Best Diets for 2020 - Endocrinology Advisor - January 12th, 2020
- Healthy weight loss: New you resolution - Health24 - January 12th, 2020
- It May Have Been Behind Adeles Weight Loss: Whats Sirtfood Diet? - The Quint - January 12th, 2020
- The Dubrow diet is a weight loss plan built around intermittent fasting, and dietitians have concerns - INSIDER - January 9th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market 2019 Global Industry Extensive Competitive Landscape on Size, Volume, Trends, Share and Revenue| Regional... - January 9th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Forecasted To Surpass The Value Of US$ XX Mn/Bn By 2074 (2007 2015) - Food & Beverage Herald - January 9th, 2020
- Weight Gain After Hyperthyroid Treatment is Common: What to Know - EndocrineWeb - January 9th, 2020
- Weight Management Products Market Global Industry Analysis and Forecast till 2016 2024 - Pro News Time - January 9th, 2020
- IMA recommends Weight Management and Wellness Programs of VLCC - ETHealthworld.com - January 9th, 2020
- What to Know About the HMR Program for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 9th, 2020
- LSU AgCenter to hold SMART Portions-A Healthy Weight Management Program in Hammond and Ponchatoula - The Advocate - January 9th, 2020
- How Diet, Exercise, and a Healthy Weight Can Add a Decade to Your Life - Healthline - January 9th, 2020
- Best and worst diets for 2020, ranked by experts, with a popular one near last - KSL.com - January 9th, 2020
- Keeping the weight off in the new year (for good) - WZZM13.com - January 9th, 2020
- 3 things to know about Pilates and weight loss - Suburban Life Publications - January 9th, 2020
- HAWTHORNE: The missing piece of the weight loss puzzle? - Keremeos Review - January 9th, 2020
- Slimming Weight Management Market Huge Growth Opportunities and Trends to 2026 - X Herald - January 9th, 2020
- 4 Reasons New Year's Resolution Fad Diets Don't Work and What to Do Instead - Everyday Health - January 9th, 2020
- Companies Forced to Change Their Names - 24/7 Wall St. - January 9th, 2020
- How This WW (Formerly Weight Watchers) Coach Lost 175 Pounds - Patch.com - January 9th, 2020
- Weight Management Market 2019 Industry Growth, Competitive Analysis, Future Prospects And Forecast 2025 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 9th, 2020
- Benefits of Walking: HERE's how it can aid weight loss and boost memory - PINKVILLA - January 9th, 2020
- These people in Northamptonshire could get 12 weeks of Slimming World or WeightWatchers completely free - Northampton Chronicle and Echo - January 9th, 2020
- Richards: Weight management strategies over the holidays (column) - Vail Daily News - December 30th, 2019
- Make Diabetes Prevention & Management a Priority in the New Year - Patch.com - December 30th, 2019
- New Trends of Weight Loss and Weight Management Market with Worldwide Industry Analysis to 2029 - Market Reports Observer - December 30th, 2019
- Valtrex available dosages - Metformin side effects pcos weight loss - What are the signs and symptoms of herpes in males - Laughlin Entertainer - December 30th, 2019