A man in the US dies of consuming excessive mulethi (licorine). Know how much is too much – Times of India


Posted: September 25, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Herbs and spices have been used since ages in Ayurveda to treat various health conditions. But of late, these herbs and spices have become even more popular because they are known to boost immunity and strengthen body functions, which is the need of the hour. However, an excess of anything is bad, which is also true for these ayurvedic remedies. As per a BBC report, a construction worker in the US state of Massachusetts was killed after he consumed too many licorice candies, as analysed by doctors. Mulethi, called licorice in English is a great remedy to soothe a sore throat. It has antiviral and antimicrobial properties and is said to contain glycyrrhizic acid, which gives mulethi its sweet taste. But overconsumption can be risky and bad for health, thus leading to possible death. This is exactly what happened with the man in the US. Doctors explaining the 54-year-old man's case said that had no symptoms before he suffered from a cardiac arrest and how the glycyrrhizic acid in licorice was to blame. The case has been talked about in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Studies have shown how glycyrrhizic acid, the active ingredient in liquorice can cause hypertension, hypokalemia, metabolic alkalosis, fatal arrhythmias and renal failure, all of which were observed in this patient.

One may encounter a glycemic surge caused by Licorice that leads to dangerously low levels of potassium. This can cause sudden cardiac arrest leading to death.

Low potassium levels can cause spasms in the heart rate, which can lead to arrhythmiathe rhythm disorder, where the heart beats too fast, too slowly or with an irregular rhythm.

Read more from the original source:
A man in the US dies of consuming excessive mulethi (licorine). Know how much is too much - Times of India

Related Post