The benefits of a ketogenic diet are similar to those of other low-carb and high-fat diets, but it appears to be more powerful than liberal low-carb diets. Think of keto as a super-charged low-carb diet, maximizing the benefits. However, it can also be harder to do, and it may increase the risk of side effects a bit.
Turning your body into a fat-burning machine can be beneficial for weight loss. Fat burning is significantly increased, while insulin the fat-storing hormone levels drop greatly. This appears to make it far easier for body fat loss to occur, without hunger.
More than 30 high-quality scientific studies show that, compared to other diets, low-carb and keto diets result in more effective weight loss.
On a keto diet youre likely to gain a new control over your appetite. When your body burns fat 24/7, it has constant access to weeks or months of stored energy, significantly reducing feelings of hunger. Its a very common experience, and studies prove it.
This makes it easy to eat less and lose excess weight just wait until youre hungry before you eat. It also makes intermittent fasting easier, something that can super-charge efforts to reverse type 2 diabetes and speed up weight loss, beyond the effects of keto only.
Plus, you could save tons of time and money by not having to snack all the time. Many people only feel the need to eat twice a day on a keto diet (often skipping breakfast), and some just eat once a day.
Not having to fight feelings of hunger could also potentially help with problems like sugar or food addiction. At last, feeling satisfied can be part of the solution. Food can stop being an enemy and become your friend or simply fuel, whatever you prefer.
Studies prove that a ketogenic diet is excellent for managing type 2 diabetes, sometimes even leading to complete reversal of the disease. It makes perfect sense since keto lowers blood-sugar levels, reduces the need for medications and reduces the potentially negative impact of high insulin levels.
Since a keto diet may reverse existing type 2 diabetes, its likely to be effective at preventing it, as well as reversing pre-diabetes.
How to reverse type 2 diabetes
200+ success stories
Many studies show that low-carb diets improve several important risk factors for heart disease, including the cholesterol profile (HDL, triglycerides), while total and LDL cholesterol levels are usually impacted modestly.
Its also typical to see improved blood sugar levels, insulin levels and blood pressure.
These commonly improved markers are connected to something called metabolic syndrome, and improvements in weight, waist circumference, type 2 diabetes reversal, and more.
My health markers after 10 years on a keto diet
Some people use ketogenic diets specifically for increased mental performance. Also, its common for people to experience an increase in energy when in ketosis.
On keto, the brain doesnt need dietary carbs. Its fueled 24-7 by ketones, an effective brain fuel.
Therefore, ketosis results in a steady flow of fuel (ketones) to the brain, thus avoiding problems experienced with big blood sugar swings. This may sometimes result in improved focus and concentration, and resolution of brain fog, with an improved mental clarity.
A keto diet can result in a calmer stomach, less gas, less cramps and pains, often resulting in improvements in IBS symptoms.
For some people this is the top benefit, and it often only takes a day or two to experience it. Learn more
Ketogenic diets can in theory increase your physical endurance by improving your access to the vast amounts of energy in your fat stores.
The bodys supply of stored carbohydrates (glycogen) only lasts for a couple of hours of intense exercise, or less. But your fat stores carry enough energy to potentially last for weeks.
Beyond this effect, another potential benefit is the reduction in body fat percentage that can be achieved on a keto diet (see weight loss, above). This reduction in body fat weight is potentially valuable in a number of competitive sports, including endurance sports.
How to maximize endurance on a keto diet
The ketogenic diet is a proven and often effective medical therapy for epilepsy that has been used since the 1920s. Traditionally it was used primarily for children, but in recent years adults have benefited from it as well.
Using a ketogenic diet for epilepsy can allow some people to take fewer anti-epileptic drugs or none at all, while potentially still remaining seizure-free. This may reduce drug side effects and thus increase mental performance.
Do you know that a keto diet can help treat high blood pressure, may result in less acne, may help control migraine, might help with certain mental health issues and can have other potential benefits?
Follow the links below for more knowledge, stories and science:
We love receiving stories from people who are using a keto diet to revolutionize their health. Weve been sent thousands of such stories, and we publish some of the most amazing ones over 250 so far for you to read.
Here are a few of them:
Read the original here:
A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners The Ultimate Keto Guide ...
- Here is how to safely use the sponge diet as a January detox - Lancashire Post - January 20th, 2020
- Are Weight Loss Pills Total BS? Heres the Skinny - Greatist - January 20th, 2020
- Can You Overdose on Vitamins? - Healthline - January 20th, 2020
- Foods and exercises to avoid heart problems during pregnancy - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Finding Your Dogs Healthy Weight - Patch.com - January 20th, 2020
- Reducing Barriers to Care and Addressing Social Determinants of Health - Annals of Internal Medicine - January 20th, 2020
- How to get fit: 5 easy strategies that mean even lazy people can be fitter and healthier - T3 - January 20th, 2020
- Solitary confinement is bad for the heart too - Massive Science - January 20th, 2020
- Goops Netflix series: Its so much worse than I expected and I cant unsee it - Ars Technica - January 20th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting with Cannabis: Can You Use CBD and Marijuana on the IF Diet Plan? - HealthMJ - January 15th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Eat Mango If You Have Diabetes? - Healthline - January 15th, 2020
- Thousands of people in Yorkshire living without cookers, washing machines and fridges - Yorkshire Post - January 15th, 2020
- This Is Your Body On Red Meat - HuffPost - January 15th, 2020
- How to choose a 2020 diet based on science - Inverse - January 15th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting is the most searched diet trend of 2019 - Irish Mirror - January 15th, 2020
- Health Department cites 2 teen treatment facilities on Big Island - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 15th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Adding this shrub to your tea could lower your reading - Express - January 15th, 2020
- New State of the Science Medical Program Targets the Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - January 15th, 2020
- 'The Biggest Loser' is coming back. Here's what you need to know about the controversial weight-loss show. - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Overspill of fat shown to cause Type 2 Diabetes - Devdiscourse - January 7th, 2020
- What have the Raptors learned from this stretch of injuries? - Raptors Republic - January 7th, 2020
- Zoho CEO slammed for being guest at RSS event, he retorts that he works as per conscience - The News Minute - January 7th, 2020
- GROWING OLD UNGRACEFULLY: Last Food Rant of the Year - Lost Coast Outpost - January 6th, 2020
- Processing, pkg and dvpt of space foods | FNB News - fnbnews.com - January 6th, 2020
- Is It Moral To Oppose The Use Of Pesticides? - Science 2.0 - January 6th, 2020
- How to gain weight safely and healthily - cosmopolitan.com - January 5th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Prepared for Shirtless 'The Witcher' Scenes in This Extreme and Dangerous Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 5th, 2020
- Veganuary: What hopeful vegans need to know before giving up meat in 2020 - Inverse - January 5th, 2020
- Anorexia is the deadliest mental illness. Why is the NHS still not taking it seriously? - The Guardian - January 5th, 2020
- How to shave hundreds of calories off your favourite meals to lose weight in 2020 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- Study reveals what causes type 2 diabetes and how to reverse it - Medical News Today - January 5th, 2020
- Things You Should Probably Never Order at a Restaurant - 24/7 Wall St. - January 5th, 2020
- Vets reveal the 10 common mistakes people make with their pets - INSIDER - January 5th, 2020
- Business Ideas for 2020: Premium and tailored pet food - Startups.co.uk - January 2nd, 2020
- The Safe and Doable Guide to Losing 100+ Pounds in a Year - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 1st, 2020
- Best and worst diets to follow in the year 2020 - TheHealthSite - January 1st, 2020
- A better you in 2020: Earth-care - The Register-Guard - January 1st, 2020
- New Year and New Decade resolutions for Denver, by Denverites you know or should know - Denverite - January 1st, 2020
- Perihelion Day' Is When Earth Is Closest to the Sun so Why Is It So Cold? - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 1st, 2020
- Local leaders offer their Happy New Year wishes - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - January 1st, 2020
- Leave These Nutrition Myths Behind in 2019 - Lifehacker Australia - December 31st, 2019
- Why We Ditched Corporate to Empower Women & Girls - SWAAY - December 31st, 2019
- How to tell when babies can eat baby food, and which foods to start with - INSIDER - December 31st, 2019
- Asheville food trends: What experts got right, wrong, and what's up for 2020 - Citizen Times - December 31st, 2019
- Best supplements for weight loss: Taking this supplement could help you lose weight - Express - December 30th, 2019
- Is sugar in fruit good or bad for your health? - The New Times - December 30th, 2019
- Yearly Planner 2020: We have reviewed six planners available online and here's what we think - Indulgexpress - December 30th, 2019
- Fat from your liver may enter the pancreas and trigger type 2 diabetes - TheHealthSite - December 30th, 2019
- 'Is Butter a Carb?' and Other Questions to Stop Asking Now That Keto Is Canceled - Jezebel - December 27th, 2019
- Solar Eclipse December 2019: How does it affect the sleep and the dietary patterns? - Republic World - Republic World - December 27th, 2019
- Did we really survive 2019? It's hard to tell - CalvinAyre.com - December 27th, 2019
- Eating to Heal the Mind - PsychCentral.com - December 27th, 2019
- Warning: This column contains spoilers (and is that really my problem?) - The London Free Press - December 27th, 2019
- Overspill of fat to pancreas shown to cause Type 2 Diabetes - Specialty Medical Dialogues - December 27th, 2019
- Surya Grahan 2019 in India: How to watch annular Solar Eclipse today and what precautions should you take - Times of India - December 26th, 2019
- Streetsies 2019: The Best Transportation Project of the Year - Streetsblog St. Louis - December 26th, 2019
- Excess Fat That Spills From the Liver into the Pancreas May Cause Type 2 Diabetes - Interesting Engineering - December 26th, 2019
- Epilepsy and the keto diet: Can diet help with seizures? - Medical News Today - December 25th, 2019
- 10 health recommendations for successful New Year's resolutions - Midland Daily News - December 25th, 2019
- Tackling Inflammation to Fight Age-Related Ailments - The New York Times - December 25th, 2019
- State of the US pet food and treat industry, 2019 - Pet Food Processing - December 25th, 2019
- Fitness, focus and fun - The New Indian Express - December 25th, 2019
- Every Seed Has a Story - Food Tank - December 25th, 2019
- What is the Mediterranean Diet? Plan, Food List, and Using It for Weight Loss - Parade - December 21st, 2019
- We tried Tom Bradys TB12 workout. Heres what it was like - The Boston Globe - December 21st, 2019
- 'I Used Kelsey Wells' PWR Program And Lost 50 Pounds In A Year' - Women's Health - December 21st, 2019
- The secret to healthy ageing - Starts at 60 - December 21st, 2019
- Healthy Sports Parenting Starts with These Tips - Chicago Health - December 21st, 2019
- SlimFast Goes Bananas Adding To Its Advanced Nutrition Line With Exciting New Flavor: Bananas & Cream - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Should You Have Curd In Winter? Know The Benefits And Downsides - Doctor NDTV - December 18th, 2019
- 2019 Was An Extremely Deadly Year For NYC Cyclists. Here Are Their Stories - Gothamist - December 18th, 2019
- Winter gear to keep your fleets and drivers from freezing - American Trucker - December 14th, 2019
- Latest Tesla Autopilot crash will be the 12th investigated by NHTSA - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 14th, 2019
- Intermittent Fasting Is (Unsurprisingly) The Most Searched Diet Of 2019 - mindbodygreen.com - December 13th, 2019
- Is Canned Tuna Healthy? Nutritionists Weigh In - Women's Health - December 13th, 2019
- A prosecco diet exisits - here's everything to know - Now To Love - December 13th, 2019
- Gal Gadot Looks Stronger Than Ever in the First Trailer for Wonder Woman 1984 - Prevention.com - December 13th, 2019
- Pregnancy Found by Israeli and Dutch Researchers to be Safe for Women with Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Breaking Israel News - December 13th, 2019
- Drive safely. Wild animals' lives are at stake - Vancouver Courier - December 13th, 2019
- Cork woman: The secret to living to 100 is... - Echo Live - December 13th, 2019