Nutritional science, as well as consumer and feline preferences, drive trends and variety in the cat food aisle.
By LaRue Palmer
Published: 2017.09.01 10:30 AM
The finicky nature of cats is legendary, which can make it challenging for a pet owner to maintain a healthful diet for them. Pet food manufacturers are burning the midnight oil trying to create the right formula of food that will satisfy not only the nutritional needs for every life stage given cats picky nature, but also the humanistic values and tastes of the doting pet owner.
The category is expanding with new options as manufacturers seek to meet customers varied demands.
The cat food category is clearly following in the footsteps of dog food, with an increased number of natural offerings and unique protein sources, said Ann Hudson, vice president at Whitebridge Pet Brands in St. Louis. The pursuit of the perfect feline diet has led manufacturers to new sources of meat and fish, and new ways of processing to be able to incorporate more fresh proteins into dry foods. Everyone knows cats are carnivores, but figuring out how to get the perfect carnivore diet into a can or bag is still a challenge for most manufacturers.
Dry cat food continues to dominate sales in the category. According to a report published by Statistaan online statistics company based in Hamburg, with regional headquarters in London and New Yorkin 2016, U.S. premium dry cat food sales topped $534 million in sales, compared to just $219 million for the wet varieties.
Dry food is certainly still favored for its convenience and palatability, said Tracey Hatch-Rizzi, vice president and co-founder of Radagast Pet Food Inc. in Portland, Ore. But balancing that dry food with wet food is more widely recommended now. Consumers are also showing more interest in formulas that address their cats specific lifestyles or life stages.
Hudson agreed that dry foods are more popular with customers.
The wet category is clearly under-penetrated in pet specialty. Its an enormous opportunity for pet specialty retailers, and a high-quality range of nutritious wet foods gives [pet specialty retailers] a way to effectively compete, she said, adding that Whitebridge recently released its Tiki Cat After Dark wet food line, with unique proteins and real organ meat in a safely prepared and ready-to-serve package.
Raw foods are also gaining traction for cats with consumers. In fact, Leasa Greer, manager of nutrition and regulatory affairs for Solid Gold Pet based in Chesterfield, Mo., said raw feeding is not merely a trend, but a movement among cat owners.
More and more people are catching on to the fact that its a cats evolutionary diet, Greer said. Cats were the ones that would be put into the granary not to eat the grain, but to eat the vermin that would eat the grain. In the end, at least feeding your cat a little bit of raw is better than none at all.
Still, Hatch-Rizzi said there is a great of deal misinformation circulating in the cat-owning community about raw food diets.
It is really because the veterinary community is much divided about raw food diets, but when you walk into your local independent pet store, you see raw diets all over the place, she said. So youre left wondering why there is division on one side, but the healthful pet stores are all carrying all kinds of raw, raw freeze dried and even kibble with raw incorporated into it.
Stephanie Catalfio, store manager for Lous Pet Shop in Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich., for 48 years, sees a trend toward high-end premium cat food choices that carry a reputable, trustworthy name.
Personally, I feed my cat raw food and freeze dried, Catalfio said. We usually recommend the higher-quality brands of canned for our customers who we know would appreciate it. If theyre going to go dry, we have brands like Fromm Family Pet Food or Champion Petfoods, for example.
Despite the increasing popularity of raw foods, kibble is still a mainstay in the cat food category, and many consumers appreciate the convenient format.
It is correct to say that carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient for cats, said Rick Rockhill, executive vice president of Lucy Pet Products in Thousand Oaks, Calif. They need protein, fat and fiber. Yet carbohydrates fulfill a function in that they provide texture and they are literally what gives the kibble its form by pulling all the other nutrients together.
Rockhill said he believes that sometimes people forget that cats have been domesticated for thousands of years and no longer live in the wild, which is why manufacturers continually strive to create nutrient-dense formulas that are healthful and pleasing to the cat, and easy to deliver for the pet owner.
Dr. George Fahey Jr., the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign professor emeritus who helped developed formulas for Lucy Pet, pointed out that, occasionally, diets are tailored to address particular issues, such as hairballs.
We know how to control that with a specialized diet that prevents it from happening, he said.
Brendan Sykes, a sales representative for Specialty Pet Supplies in Plymouth, Mich., recommended specific diets for certain ailments.
We go to a specific hairball control formulation, which, usually, will be higher in fiber, making it easier for a cat to pass a hairball rather than them having to throw it up.
Fahey added, Others may be predisposed to renal issues, but prescription as well as over-the-counter diets can address these problems or prevent them from developing. Making these informed choices is up to the pet parent, so educating them is critical.
Manufacturers are often more than willing to help educate pet owners.
When consumers reach out to Solid Gold with pet nutrition questions, they talk to our consumer engagement specialist, Greer said. The consumer engagement specialists job is to keep our customers and sales reps properly educated and trained in the nutritional needs and functions of cats.
Read more here:
A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com
- Denver's 13th Avenue will see a bike lane replace one travel lane typically used for cars - Denverite - July 30th, 2020
- The lowdown on the low-FODMAP diet - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health - July 30th, 2020
- The Great Escape: Travelers Turn To Summer Road Trips During COVID-19 - Here And Now - July 30th, 2020
- Affects of Food on Mood: Good food is reciprocal to bad mood - Asian Image - July 30th, 2020
- Elephant Tourism Is Way More Complex Than You'd Imagine: The Thailand Example - Fodor's Travel - July 30th, 2020
- The Safest, Easiest Way to Get Started With Intermittent Fasting, According to the Latest Research - Inc. - July 26th, 2020
- Russell Wilson Has Already Embraced the NFL's Idea That JJ Watt Hates - Sportscasting - July 26th, 2020
- Sleeping in the heat - Sherwood Park News - July 25th, 2020
- Five Great Ways To Repurpose Parking Lots During the Pandemic - Streetsblog New York - July 25th, 2020
- Important to know difference in types of COVID-19 tests - The Robesonian - July 25th, 2020
- Heading back to the gym? Five ways to avoid injury when returning this weekend - Daily Star - July 25th, 2020
- For the birds: Once regionally extinct, loons are making a modest comeback in southeastern New England, with scientists help - The Providence Journal - July 25th, 2020
- What is the OMAD diet and is it safe? - BEAUTYcrew - July 24th, 2020
- 6 Fruits That Are Safe To Consume For People With Diabetes - MissMalini - July 24th, 2020
- How to stay safe as gyms reopen this weekend - Metro.co.uk - July 24th, 2020
- Harmful foods that you can eat in moderation every day - The Saxon - July 24th, 2020
- UK-based in-depth study of early COVID-19 detection - Lab News - July 24th, 2020
- Heroes of the pandemic Save the Children Australia - Save The Children Australia - July 24th, 2020
- Colin Montgomerie, 57, shows off incredible body transformation as he loses 40lbs with diet and pilates - Brinkwire - July 24th, 2020
- How to know if you should take statins to lower your cholesterol and whether they are safe and effective - Business Insider Australia - July 24th, 2020
- University of Cambridge researchers and Huma begin in-depth study of early detection of COVID-19 infection - Yahoo Finance - July 24th, 2020
- Voices: COVID-19 and the concern of chronic disease in the church - Baptist Standard - July 7th, 2020
- #10 Tips to Stay Healthy During the Self-isolation Days of Covid19 - Entrepreneur - July 7th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Poll finds 81% of Canadians think Canada-U.S. border should stay closed - The Globe and Mail - July 7th, 2020
- Meat Industry Overfeeds Antibiotics to Cows, and We Get Sicker - The Beet - July 7th, 2020
- Two major cities are getting another grocery delivery option in the pandemic - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 7th, 2020
- HOW TO LIVE IN THE FACE OF FEAR - Manila Bulletin - July 6th, 2020
- Simple and Fastic Apps: Why Do I Keep Seeing Intermittent Fasting Ads on Social Media? - VICE UK - July 6th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Zimbabwe Daily - July 6th, 2020
- Can You Eat Raw Broccoli? Benefits and Downsides - Healthline - July 4th, 2020
- Fish: Which Ones To Eat & Which Ones To Avoid During Pregnancy - BabyGaga - July 4th, 2020
- Fireworks Can Trigger PTSD. Heres How to Be Considerate While Celebrating July 4th at Home - EcoWatch - July 4th, 2020
- Eating healthy with Yanaya - The Herald - July 4th, 2020
- Why You Should Bet Against Joey Chestnut In The Hot Dog Eating Contest - PlayUSA - July 4th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Confirmed cases in 40 states on the rise in the U.S. ahead of Fourth of July weekend - The Globe and Mail - July 4th, 2020
- Top Reasons Why Spinach Is One Of The Healthiest Leafy Greens - Doctor NDTV - July 3rd, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Part 1: How It Helps You Lose Weight and What are the Different Ways to Do It - News18 - July 3rd, 2020
- Six small things we're looking forward to on Super Saturday - Telegraph.co.uk - July 3rd, 2020
- Stop worrying about bread, nutritionists say the toppings you put on your carbs are more likely to influence - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- The COVID-19 threat is here for the foreseeable future. As cities reopen, protecting passengers on public tran - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Integrity is everything - The Bookseller - July 1st, 2020
- Wellbeing Wednesdays Podcast: What are the Social Determinants of Health? - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - July 1st, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - The Auto Channel - July 1st, 2020
- Kindness of others inspires woman to lose nine stone in just two years - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss here's what the research says - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman shrunk from a size 16 to a size 12 in lockdown following this easy diet - Express - June 30th, 2020
- 12 Tips For Fasting Diets - How To Do Intermittent Fasting ... - June 30th, 2020
- What's Chlorella? 10 Health Benefits, How to Use It & More - Greatist - June 30th, 2020
- Fans stunned by UFC legend Frankie Edgars body transformation as he shows off ripped physique with just 1 - talkSPORT.com - June 30th, 2020
- 5 precautions you should take when waxing your pubic hair, according to the doctor behind 'The Vagina Bible' - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Are you getting enough protein and fibre? - Australian Hospital + Healthcare Bulletin - June 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Air Canada cutting 30 domestic routes and closing operations at eight regional airports - The Globe and Mail - June 30th, 2020
- Nutrition for eye health - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - June 30th, 2020
- 'Our Time of Personal Responsibility': In Today's Media Availability, Public Health Officer Talks About California's Case Spike, COVID in Kids and... - June 30th, 2020
- Continuing the fascinating story of Bettys War as husband Harry returns safely - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 30th, 2020
- La Septima Caf Adapts With Family Meals And A Thriving To-Go Business - Osprey Observer - June 30th, 2020
- Dr Punam Krishan: Here are my tips on how to keep safe in the summer sun summer - Glasgow Times - June 30th, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - PerishableNews - June 30th, 2020
- How the explosive YouTube war between James Charles and Tati Westbrook brought the value of vitamin supplement - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Bomb squad raid in Bingley linked to toxic diet pill - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - June 30th, 2020
- Study: Women Are Less Attracted to Men Who Have Cats In Their Dating Profile Pics - Mental Floss - June 30th, 2020
- We Need A COVID Reality Check: An MD Shares His 5 Reasons Why - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- How To Safely Celebrate The Fourth Of July With Your Baby - BabyGaga - June 25th, 2020
- Feed higher levels of Irish cereals with XL Grain - Agriland - June 25th, 2020
- Vegetarianism: Tapping Into the Meatless Revolution - Visual Capitalist - June 25th, 2020
- Lotus Flower Plague-Repellent Pills and Other Gifts From China - The New York Times - June 25th, 2020
- Best educational toys for kids aged 1 to 5 - goodtoknow - June 25th, 2020
- Living with stones in my body - The Citizen - June 25th, 2020
- Is it safer to fly or drive? 5 health experts weigh in - IOL - June 21st, 2020
- Plant-based nutrition as an alternative to meat - Food Dive - June 21st, 2020
- The Military Diet: Lose 10 Pounds in Just 1 Week? - June 20th, 2020
- Great white shark diet surprises scientists - News - The University of Sydney - June 20th, 2020
- 30 Healthyish Sips, Snacks, And Sauces To Stock Up On This Summer - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Experts on what the health risks of flying on a plane right now are - Insider - INSIDER - June 20th, 2020
- Shock as children find python abandoned in woodland - The Northern Echo - June 20th, 2020
- How to Maximise your Performance, Recovery and Health by Optimising your Gut Health - BOXROX - June 20th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Rent an Airbnb or Vacation Home Right Now? - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting and exercise: How to do it safely - Medical News Today - June 11th, 2020
- Lifestyle: Easing back into the real world - Worcester Mag - June 11th, 2020
- How to Be Safe at Work - WTOP - June 11th, 2020