Nutritional science, as well as consumer and feline preferences, drive trends and variety in the cat food aisle.
By LaRue Palmer
Published: 2017.09.01 10:30 AM
The finicky nature of cats is legendary, which can make it challenging for a pet owner to maintain a healthful diet for them. Pet food manufacturers are burning the midnight oil trying to create the right formula of food that will satisfy not only the nutritional needs for every life stage given cats picky nature, but also the humanistic values and tastes of the doting pet owner.
The category is expanding with new options as manufacturers seek to meet customers varied demands.
The cat food category is clearly following in the footsteps of dog food, with an increased number of natural offerings and unique protein sources, said Ann Hudson, vice president at Whitebridge Pet Brands in St. Louis. The pursuit of the perfect feline diet has led manufacturers to new sources of meat and fish, and new ways of processing to be able to incorporate more fresh proteins into dry foods. Everyone knows cats are carnivores, but figuring out how to get the perfect carnivore diet into a can or bag is still a challenge for most manufacturers.
Dry cat food continues to dominate sales in the category. According to a report published by Statistaan online statistics company based in Hamburg, with regional headquarters in London and New Yorkin 2016, U.S. premium dry cat food sales topped $534 million in sales, compared to just $219 million for the wet varieties.
Dry food is certainly still favored for its convenience and palatability, said Tracey Hatch-Rizzi, vice president and co-founder of Radagast Pet Food Inc. in Portland, Ore. But balancing that dry food with wet food is more widely recommended now. Consumers are also showing more interest in formulas that address their cats specific lifestyles or life stages.
Hudson agreed that dry foods are more popular with customers.
The wet category is clearly under-penetrated in pet specialty. Its an enormous opportunity for pet specialty retailers, and a high-quality range of nutritious wet foods gives [pet specialty retailers] a way to effectively compete, she said, adding that Whitebridge recently released its Tiki Cat After Dark wet food line, with unique proteins and real organ meat in a safely prepared and ready-to-serve package.
Raw foods are also gaining traction for cats with consumers. In fact, Leasa Greer, manager of nutrition and regulatory affairs for Solid Gold Pet based in Chesterfield, Mo., said raw feeding is not merely a trend, but a movement among cat owners.
More and more people are catching on to the fact that its a cats evolutionary diet, Greer said. Cats were the ones that would be put into the granary not to eat the grain, but to eat the vermin that would eat the grain. In the end, at least feeding your cat a little bit of raw is better than none at all.
Still, Hatch-Rizzi said there is a great of deal misinformation circulating in the cat-owning community about raw food diets.
It is really because the veterinary community is much divided about raw food diets, but when you walk into your local independent pet store, you see raw diets all over the place, she said. So youre left wondering why there is division on one side, but the healthful pet stores are all carrying all kinds of raw, raw freeze dried and even kibble with raw incorporated into it.
Stephanie Catalfio, store manager for Lous Pet Shop in Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich., for 48 years, sees a trend toward high-end premium cat food choices that carry a reputable, trustworthy name.
Personally, I feed my cat raw food and freeze dried, Catalfio said. We usually recommend the higher-quality brands of canned for our customers who we know would appreciate it. If theyre going to go dry, we have brands like Fromm Family Pet Food or Champion Petfoods, for example.
Despite the increasing popularity of raw foods, kibble is still a mainstay in the cat food category, and many consumers appreciate the convenient format.
It is correct to say that carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient for cats, said Rick Rockhill, executive vice president of Lucy Pet Products in Thousand Oaks, Calif. They need protein, fat and fiber. Yet carbohydrates fulfill a function in that they provide texture and they are literally what gives the kibble its form by pulling all the other nutrients together.
Rockhill said he believes that sometimes people forget that cats have been domesticated for thousands of years and no longer live in the wild, which is why manufacturers continually strive to create nutrient-dense formulas that are healthful and pleasing to the cat, and easy to deliver for the pet owner.
Dr. George Fahey Jr., the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign professor emeritus who helped developed formulas for Lucy Pet, pointed out that, occasionally, diets are tailored to address particular issues, such as hairballs.
We know how to control that with a specialized diet that prevents it from happening, he said.
Brendan Sykes, a sales representative for Specialty Pet Supplies in Plymouth, Mich., recommended specific diets for certain ailments.
We go to a specific hairball control formulation, which, usually, will be higher in fiber, making it easier for a cat to pass a hairball rather than them having to throw it up.
Fahey added, Others may be predisposed to renal issues, but prescription as well as over-the-counter diets can address these problems or prevent them from developing. Making these informed choices is up to the pet parent, so educating them is critical.
Manufacturers are often more than willing to help educate pet owners.
When consumers reach out to Solid Gold with pet nutrition questions, they talk to our consumer engagement specialist, Greer said. The consumer engagement specialists job is to keep our customers and sales reps properly educated and trained in the nutritional needs and functions of cats.
Read more here:
A Bountiful Assortment - PetProductNews.com
- Taylor Swift has opened up about her battle with an eating disorder - Music News - January 24th, 2020
- Celebrity fitness expert Anwar Wahhab puts the spotlight on BioPrint to lose weight - Indulgexpress - January 24th, 2020
- Forget Detox Diets! and Support Your Body's Detoxification Naturally Every Single Day Tips from a Registered Nutritionist - The Wokingham Paper - January 24th, 2020
- Why avoiding strength training as part of your new fitness regime is a mistake - The Irish News - January 24th, 2020
- DJs share their tips for going sober in the rave - Mixmag - January 24th, 2020
- NUTRISHOP is Jumpstarting New Year's Resolutions With Free In-Store Nutrition and Wellness Consultations - Yahoo Finance - January 22nd, 2020
- I Tried the OMAD Diet, and I Loved It - A Sweet Life - January 22nd, 2020
- High blood pressure: The supplement proven to lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure - Express - January 22nd, 2020
- Greenleaf: Pine Island has large population of pileated woodpeckers - Pine Island Eagle - January 22nd, 2020
- Here is how to safely use the sponge diet as a January detox - Lancashire Post - January 20th, 2020
- Are Weight Loss Pills Total BS? Heres the Skinny - Greatist - January 20th, 2020
- Can You Overdose on Vitamins? - Healthline - January 20th, 2020
- Foods and exercises to avoid heart problems during pregnancy - Times of India - January 20th, 2020
- Finding Your Dogs Healthy Weight - Patch.com - January 20th, 2020
- Reducing Barriers to Care and Addressing Social Determinants of Health - Annals of Internal Medicine - January 20th, 2020
- How to get fit: 5 easy strategies that mean even lazy people can be fitter and healthier - T3 - January 20th, 2020
- Solitary confinement is bad for the heart too - Massive Science - January 20th, 2020
- Goops Netflix series: Its so much worse than I expected and I cant unsee it - Ars Technica - January 20th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting with Cannabis: Can You Use CBD and Marijuana on the IF Diet Plan? - HealthMJ - January 15th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Eat Mango If You Have Diabetes? - Healthline - January 15th, 2020
- Thousands of people in Yorkshire living without cookers, washing machines and fridges - Yorkshire Post - January 15th, 2020
- This Is Your Body On Red Meat - HuffPost - January 15th, 2020
- How to choose a 2020 diet based on science - Inverse - January 15th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting is the most searched diet trend of 2019 - Irish Mirror - January 15th, 2020
- Health Department cites 2 teen treatment facilities on Big Island - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - January 15th, 2020
- High blood pressure: Adding this shrub to your tea could lower your reading - Express - January 15th, 2020
- New State of the Science Medical Program Targets the Obesity Epidemic - Yahoo Finance - January 15th, 2020
- 'The Biggest Loser' is coming back. Here's what you need to know about the controversial weight-loss show. - INSIDER - January 15th, 2020
- Overspill of fat shown to cause Type 2 Diabetes - Devdiscourse - January 7th, 2020
- What have the Raptors learned from this stretch of injuries? - Raptors Republic - January 7th, 2020
- Zoho CEO slammed for being guest at RSS event, he retorts that he works as per conscience - The News Minute - January 7th, 2020
- GROWING OLD UNGRACEFULLY: Last Food Rant of the Year - Lost Coast Outpost - January 6th, 2020
- Processing, pkg and dvpt of space foods | FNB News - fnbnews.com - January 6th, 2020
- Is It Moral To Oppose The Use Of Pesticides? - Science 2.0 - January 6th, 2020
- How to gain weight safely and healthily - cosmopolitan.com - January 5th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Prepared for Shirtless 'The Witcher' Scenes in This Extreme and Dangerous Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 5th, 2020
- Veganuary: What hopeful vegans need to know before giving up meat in 2020 - Inverse - January 5th, 2020
- Anorexia is the deadliest mental illness. Why is the NHS still not taking it seriously? - The Guardian - January 5th, 2020
- How to shave hundreds of calories off your favourite meals to lose weight in 2020 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- Study reveals what causes type 2 diabetes and how to reverse it - Medical News Today - January 5th, 2020
- Things You Should Probably Never Order at a Restaurant - 24/7 Wall St. - January 5th, 2020
- Vets reveal the 10 common mistakes people make with their pets - INSIDER - January 5th, 2020
- Business Ideas for 2020: Premium and tailored pet food - Startups.co.uk - January 2nd, 2020
- The Safe and Doable Guide to Losing 100+ Pounds in a Year - LIVESTRONG.COM - January 1st, 2020
- Best and worst diets to follow in the year 2020 - TheHealthSite - January 1st, 2020
- A better you in 2020: Earth-care - The Register-Guard - January 1st, 2020
- New Year and New Decade resolutions for Denver, by Denverites you know or should know - Denverite - January 1st, 2020
- Perihelion Day' Is When Earth Is Closest to the Sun so Why Is It So Cold? - Yahoo Lifestyle - January 1st, 2020
- Local leaders offer their Happy New Year wishes - Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - January 1st, 2020
- Leave These Nutrition Myths Behind in 2019 - Lifehacker Australia - December 31st, 2019
- Why We Ditched Corporate to Empower Women & Girls - SWAAY - December 31st, 2019
- How to tell when babies can eat baby food, and which foods to start with - INSIDER - December 31st, 2019
- Asheville food trends: What experts got right, wrong, and what's up for 2020 - Citizen Times - December 31st, 2019
- Best supplements for weight loss: Taking this supplement could help you lose weight - Express - December 30th, 2019
- Is sugar in fruit good or bad for your health? - The New Times - December 30th, 2019
- Yearly Planner 2020: We have reviewed six planners available online and here's what we think - Indulgexpress - December 30th, 2019
- Fat from your liver may enter the pancreas and trigger type 2 diabetes - TheHealthSite - December 30th, 2019
- 'Is Butter a Carb?' and Other Questions to Stop Asking Now That Keto Is Canceled - Jezebel - December 27th, 2019
- Solar Eclipse December 2019: How does it affect the sleep and the dietary patterns? - Republic World - Republic World - December 27th, 2019
- Did we really survive 2019? It's hard to tell - CalvinAyre.com - December 27th, 2019
- Eating to Heal the Mind - PsychCentral.com - December 27th, 2019
- Warning: This column contains spoilers (and is that really my problem?) - The London Free Press - December 27th, 2019
- Overspill of fat to pancreas shown to cause Type 2 Diabetes - Specialty Medical Dialogues - December 27th, 2019
- Surya Grahan 2019 in India: How to watch annular Solar Eclipse today and what precautions should you take - Times of India - December 26th, 2019
- Streetsies 2019: The Best Transportation Project of the Year - Streetsblog St. Louis - December 26th, 2019
- Excess Fat That Spills From the Liver into the Pancreas May Cause Type 2 Diabetes - Interesting Engineering - December 26th, 2019
- Epilepsy and the keto diet: Can diet help with seizures? - Medical News Today - December 25th, 2019
- 10 health recommendations for successful New Year's resolutions - Midland Daily News - December 25th, 2019
- Tackling Inflammation to Fight Age-Related Ailments - The New York Times - December 25th, 2019
- State of the US pet food and treat industry, 2019 - Pet Food Processing - December 25th, 2019
- Fitness, focus and fun - The New Indian Express - December 25th, 2019
- Every Seed Has a Story - Food Tank - December 25th, 2019
- What is the Mediterranean Diet? Plan, Food List, and Using It for Weight Loss - Parade - December 21st, 2019
- We tried Tom Bradys TB12 workout. Heres what it was like - The Boston Globe - December 21st, 2019
- 'I Used Kelsey Wells' PWR Program And Lost 50 Pounds In A Year' - Women's Health - December 21st, 2019
- The secret to healthy ageing - Starts at 60 - December 21st, 2019
- Healthy Sports Parenting Starts with These Tips - Chicago Health - December 21st, 2019
- SlimFast Goes Bananas Adding To Its Advanced Nutrition Line With Exciting New Flavor: Bananas & Cream - PRNewswire - December 18th, 2019
- Should You Have Curd In Winter? Know The Benefits And Downsides - Doctor NDTV - December 18th, 2019
- 2019 Was An Extremely Deadly Year For NYC Cyclists. Here Are Their Stories - Gothamist - December 18th, 2019