As your parents get older, how can you be sure theyre taking care of themselves and staying healthy?
When you visit your parents, start by considering these questions:
1. Are your parents able to take care of themselves?
Pay attention to your parents appearance. Failure to keep up with daily routines such as bathing and brushing teeth could indicate dementia, depression or physical impairments.
Also pay attention to your parents home. Are the lights working? Is the heat on? Is the yard overgrown?
Any changes in the way your parents do things around the house could provide clues to their health. For example, scorched pots could mean your parents are forgetting about food cooking on the stove. Issues such as failing to pay bills, having problems shopping and neglecting housework also might be signs of depression, dementia or other concerns.
2. Are your parents experiencing memory loss?
Everyone forgets things from time to time. ModHEALest memory problems are a fairly common part of aging, and sometimes medication side effects or underlying conditions contribute to memory loss.
Theres a difference, though, between normal changes in memory and the type of memory loss that makes it hard to do everyday things such as driving and shopping. Signs of this type of memory loss might include:
Asking the same questions over and over again
Getting lost in familiar places
Not being able to follow instructions
Becoming confused about time, people and places
3. Are your parents safe in their home?
Take a look around your parents home, keeping an eye out for any red flags.
Do your parents have difficulty navigating a narrow stairway? Has either parent fallen recently? Are they able to read directions on medication containers? When asked, can your parents explain how they set up or take their medications?
4. Are your parents safe on the road?
Driving can be challenging for older adults. If your parents become confused while driving or youre concerned about their ability to drive safely especially if they have experienced a moving violation or an accident it might be time to stop driving.
5. Have your parents lost weight?
Losing weight without trying could be a sign that somethings wrong. Weight loss could be related to many factors, including:
Difficulty cooking. Your parents might be having difficulty finding the energy to cook, grasping the necessary tools, or reading labels or directions on food products.
Loss of taste or smell. Your parents might not be interested in eating if food doesnt taste or smell as good as it used to.
Social issues. Your parents might have difficulty shopping or have financial concerns that limit buying groceries.
Underlying conditions. Sometimes weight loss indicates a serious underlying condition, such as malnutrition, dementia, depression or cancer.
6. Are your parents in good spirits?
Note your parents moods and ask how theyre feeling. A drastically different mood or outlook could be a sign of depression or other health concerns.
7. Are your parents still social?
Talk to your parents about their activities. Are they connecting with friends? Have they maintained interest in hobbies and other daily activities? Are they involved in organizations, clubs or faith-based communities?
If a parent gives up on being with others, it could be a sign of a problem.
8. Are your parents able to get around?
Pay attention to how your parents walk. Are they reluctant or unable to walk usual distances? Have they fallen recently? Would a cane or walker help?
Issues such as muscle weakness and joint pain can make it difficult to move around as well. If your parents are unsteady on their feet, they might be at risk of falling a major cause of disability among older adults.
There are many steps you can take to ensure your parents health and well-being, even if you dont live nearby. Try to:
Share your concerns. Talk to your parents. Your concern might motivate them to see a doctor or make other changes. Consider including other people who care about your parents in the conversation, such as close friends.
Encourage regular medical checkups. If youre worried about a parents weight loss, depressed mood, memory loss, or other signs and symptoms, encourage your parent to schedule a doctors visit. You might offer to schedule the visit or to accompany your parent to a health care provider or to find someone else to attend the visit. Ask about follow-up visits as well.
Address safety issues. Point out any potential safety issues to your parents then make a plan to address the problems. For example, a higher toilet seat or handrails in the bathroom might help prevent falls. If your parents are no longer able to drive safely, suggest other transportation options such as taking the bus, using a car or van service, or hiring a driver.
Consider home care services. You could hire someone to clean the house and run errands. But discuss this with your loved one first. A home health care aide could help with daily activities, such as bathing, and Meals on Wheels or other community services might prepare food. If remaining at home is too challenging, you might suggest moving to an assisted living facility.
Contact the health care provider for guidance. If your parents dismiss your concerns, consider contacting the health care provider directly. Your insights can help the health care provider understand what to look for during upcoming visits. Keep in mind that the health care provider might need to verify that he or she has permission to speak with you about your parents care, which might include a signed form or waiver from your parents.
Seek help from local agencies. Your local council on aging which you can find using the Eldercare Locator, a public service of the Administration on Aging can connect you with services in your parents area. For example, the county in which your parents live might have social workers who can evaluate your parents needs and connect them with services, such as home care workers.
Sometimes parents wont admit they cant do something on their own, and others dont realize they need help. Thats where you come in. Make sure your parents understand the problem and your proposed solution.
Remind your parents that you care about them and that you want to help promote their health and well-being, both today and in the years to come.
- Is it easier to burn off a big breakfast than a big dinner? - NHS Website - February 20th, 2020
- When the time is right to lose weight - News & Star - February 20th, 2020
- How to Choose a Diet and Stick with It - ZME Science - February 20th, 2020
- What Is Muscle Confusion and Can It Help You Lose Weight? - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 20th, 2020
- How This Reader Lost 5 Stone and Built a Midlife Six-Pack - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Woman who used food to fill a void after losing twins starts weight loss journey so she can have IVF - Daily Post - February 20th, 2020
- It's Mother's Time to Shine - Jezebel - February 20th, 2020
- Reducing premature death from heart disease requires a broad approach - The Spokesman-Review - February 20th, 2020
- Could super-agers slim down the vast amount the NHS spends on obesity? - Telegraph.co.uk - February 20th, 2020
- Everything you need to know before doing intermittent fasting while pregnant - Health24 - February 20th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast and Transform your Body - BOXROX - February 20th, 2020
- The Great Buenos Aires Bank Heist - GQ - February 20th, 2020
- How to do intermittent fasting safely - CNET - February 19th, 2020
- Polar Bears Losing Weight, Having Fewer Cubs Due to Retreating Sea-Ice - The Weather Channel - February 19th, 2020
- The 5 food tweaks to slash hundreds of calories from your diet and boost weight loss - The Sun - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight the healthy way without giving up on carbs - GQ India - February 19th, 2020
- 'I Do Keto, Intermittent Fasting, And Tae Bo WorkoutsAnd I've Lost 135 Pounds' - Women's Health - February 19th, 2020
- Sivakov pays the price for losing weight too quickly - Cyclingnews.com - February 19th, 2020
- Points for losing weight and winning games in new Lincoln football league - The Lincolnite - February 19th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off - Better Homes and Gardens - February 19th, 2020
- Proof of Weight Loss Surgery Benefits Continues to Grow with Breathing Study, says Beverly Hills Physicians - Benzinga - February 19th, 2020
- This SAS workout will make your body and mind stronger - T3 - February 19th, 2020
- DNA tests may soon reveal the optimal diet for your body down to the variety of lettuce you should be eating - MarketWatch - February 19th, 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. back to basics on the football field, drops weight for return - WBN - World Boxing News - February 19th, 2020
- Rakul Preet Singh refuses to put on weight for role: Wont do anything that harms my health - Hindustan Times - February 19th, 2020
- Westmeath mother of seven shares secret to incredible 9st weight loss - RSVP Live - February 19th, 2020
- Dr. Mitch Shulman: Heart disease in women not the same as in men - The Suburban Newspaper - February 19th, 2020
- Worried about your ageing parents? Here are 8 health signs to look out for - The Star Online - February 19th, 2020
- Stanford scientist: 12 tiny habits that will instantly make you more productive - CNBC - February 19th, 2020
- Aging parents: 8 warning signs of health problems | Health | gmtoday.com - Greater Milwaukee Today - February 19th, 2020
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020