If youve ever actively tried to lose weight, you know how important it is to track your progress. Thankfully, theres no shortage of options when it comes to weight loss apps.
In this article, were going to take a close look at a few of the best free weight loss apps.
I tested seven popular and highly-rated apps including Cronometer, MyFitnessPal and Lose It! to see what features youll have access to with a free account.
See the table below for a quick overview of those features and which apps offer them. Then, keep reading to find information on subscription options, availability and how to get started with each app.
Best for Nutrient Tracking
Free Features: Barcode scanner, calorie counter, exercise log, food diary, goal setting, nutrient tracker, progress chartsAvailability: iPhone or AndroidOptional Subscription: Gold Membership ($5.99/month, $24.99/semiannually or $34.99/annually)
The Cronometer app is simple to download and use whether youre an avid calorie counter or new to active dieting. What makes this app stand out is the amount of nutrient tracking you can access with a free account. In addition to calories, it monitors macronutrient goals and provides a nutrient summary including vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, lipids and protein.
If youre interested in keeping tabs on all of this and more, consider downloading Cronometer. To sign up, youll be asked a few introductory questions including your gender, birthday, height and weight. Then youll be asked to set a weight goal, enter an email address and create a password.
On the home page, youll see the date, your food diary and a breakdown of daily calories. It includes those consumed, those burned and those remaining. You can click the plus sign at the bottom of the screen at any time to add food or scan a barcode. It also allows you to add a note, adjust your biometrics or log an exercise.
When you do add food, you can indicate the amount and serving size, then see a summary of calories and a complete nutrient summary. You can also save foods and recipes in the Foods tab of the app to quickly log in the future. In the Trends tab, you can see an overview of how many calories youve consumed in the past week and a nutrition report. The report shows you calories consumed, calories burned, calories remaining, micronutrients and more.
In the Settings tab, you can manage your target goals, connect devices or health data and update other account/ biometric information without having to upgrade to the paid membership.
Best for Community
Free Features: Barcode scanner, calorie counter, exercise log, food diary, goal setting, in-app community, in-app rewards, progress charts, recipes, reminders, water tracker, weight logAvailability: iPhone or AndroidOptional Subscription: Pro Membership ($6.99/month, $34.99/year or $89.99/lifetime)
If you need a community for support, Fooducate may be the best free weight loss app for you. The Community tab in the app allows you to see trending and recent posts from other Fooducate users. You can follow and message others on the app or start a discussion by writing a post or sharing a photo.
After youve downloaded the app, created a free account and answered a few questions about your lifestyle, youll be able to see your recommended daily calories and make modifications to your diet plan.
In the free version, you can add your target weight and a target date for achieving your goal. You can also see your weight loss progress up to six months in the past. In addition, you can track your calorie intake, calorie quality, some nutrients and water intake up to a month in the past.
Across the bottom of the app, youll find a few different features including the Food Finder barcode and the main Tracker home tab. On this page, youll see how many calories you have left for the day. You can also click the plus sign at the bottom to add water, food, exercises, mood, hunger, weight, sleep or additional notes. Unfortunately, the free version doesnt allow you to log body measurements.
The Recipes tab comes with tons of trending, recent and favorited healthy recipes from other users. You can also upload and share your own! The last tab, Diet Tips, contains recent articles, references, tips and tricks shared by other Fooducate users.
Additionally, the app allows you to change how often you receive motivation notifications to achieve your goals: every meal, once a day, once a week or not at all.
Best for Motivation
Free Features: Barcode scanner, calorie counter, exercise log, food diary, goal setting, in-app challenges, in-app rewards, remindersAvailability: iPhone and AndroidOptional Subscription: Premium Membership ($2.99/week, $6.99/month, $29.99/year)
My Diet Coach is a fun way to stay motivated and engaged. While its visually aimed more toward female users, there are male avatars and dietary recommendations in the app as well.
After youve downloaded My Diet Coach and set up your free account, youll be asked to enter your current weight and goal weight. Once you decide on a goal, youll be asked to select or enter a reason why you want to achieve your goal. It may be to feel good about myself, or to improve the quality of my life. Then, you can choose to be reminded of your goal at a time and frequency that works best for you. Your goal weight and reason will also be displayed on the home page of your app alongside your avatar.
You can use the Reminders tab to control motivational reminders and set new reminders to drink more water, go to the gym and more.
In the Diary tab, youll be able to see a running count of daily calories consumed versus calories remaining. You can swipe up on the tab to see more detailed information including a daily nutrition distribution chart. Above that, youll see options to log food and activities, scan a barcode and more.
In the Challenges tab, youll be able to set challenges for yourself and monitor your progress. The Motivation tab tracks your in-app points and provides a daily quote. It also displays motivational pictures that you take or upload and lets you customize your avatar. As you complete more activities in the app, youll earn more points to unlock digital rewards that allow you to style your avatar.
You can also click on your profile to connect other health and fitness apps for free.
Best for Calorie Counting
Free Features: Barcode scanner, body measurements, calorie counter, exercise log, food diary, goal setting, in-app challenges, in-app community, nutrient tracker, progress charts, recipes, reminders, water tracker, weight logAvailability: iPhone and AndroidOptional Subscription: Premium Membership ($9.99/month or $49.99/year)
I used MyFitnessPal for calorie counting a few years ago, and I was happy to see the app is still just as easy to use and has new and improved features. If youre looking for a simple calorie counter/food log, MyFitnessPal may be the best free weight loss app for you.
Once youve created your account and answered a few questions about your body type, activity level and goals, youll be ready to get started. You can start a one-month free trial of the premium features, or simply click the X to continue using the apps free features.
Based on your responses to those initial questions, youll see your target amount of calories for the day across the top of the app on the home screen. Itll also display how many calories youve logged, how many youve burned from exercise and how many you have left for the day. You can scroll down to browse recent articles, fitness tips and healthy recipes from around the web.
In the Diary tab, you can keep a log of your food, water and workouts for free. At the bottom of your daily entries, you can add food or exercise notes. You can also view a breakdown of your daily nutrition including calories, nutrients and macros. You can always click the plus sign to log your weight, food, water, exercise or add a new status.
In the Progress tab, you can view charts tracking your steps, weight, neck, waist and hip measurements. In the More tab, you can adjust your profile information, upgrade to premium status and set goals for yourself. You can also add meals, recipes, foods, reminders, and you can link other apps or devices without having to upgrade.
Best for Tracking Weight
Free Features: Barcode scanner, calorie counter, exercise log, food diary, goal setting, GPS access, in-app community, nutrient tracker, progress charts, reminders, water tracker, weight logAvailability: iPhone and AndroidOptional Subscription: Premium Membership ($8.99/month or $59.99/year)
Most of the apps on this list will keep track of your weight and help guide you to lose it, but MyNetDiary encourages you to weigh in daily and displays your weekly weight progress on the home page. If losing weight is your main motivator, MyNetDiary may be worth trying out.
Once youve downloaded the app and created a free account, youll enter some basic information. You can also import it from your phones health app. Then, youll need to create a goal weight, target date and a weekly weight loss goal.
The Coach tab allows you to view progress charts and advice. Youll also find additional resources here including a MyNetDiary App Guide, tips and tricks. It also includes a MyNetDiary Library that contains articles specific to nutrition and weight loss along with how-to guides.
The plus sign in the center allows you to log any meal or snack, scan a barcode, add an exercise or log your water intake. When you track workouts, you can search for activities or add a custom workout. You can also link your phones GPS to allow the app to track your run, walk, bike ride and more.
The Social tab gives you access to forums used by other MyNetDiary members. Scroll down to check out the featured dietitians blog or create your own personal blog to keep track of your journey.
Click on the Me tab to update your account settings, measurements and personal information. You can even take and upload before and after photos! You can also link other apps and devices and import recipes directly from the web. The grocery check feature in this tab allows you to scan barcodes and quickly compare the nutritional value of foods while youre shopping.
Best for Beginners
Free Features: Barcode scanner, body measurements, calorie counter, exercise log, food diary, goal setting, progress charts, water tracker, weight logAvailability: iPhone and AndroidOptional Subscription: Premium Membership ($21.99/quarterly, $29.99/semiannually or $44.99/annually)
If youre new to dieting or arent sure how to approach weight loss, an app like Lifesum is a great place to begin. While a lot of its features are reserved for premium members, its free classic dieting plan offers everything youll need to get started.
Once youve downloaded the app and created an account, youll be asked to fill out the standard information and set a goal weight/target date. The app will also ask you to allow notifications so that it can help you stay motivated.
To get started, you can click the plus sign at the bottom of the screen. This will allow you to log your weight, water intake, exercise, breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks. While adding food, you can search the app, scan a barcode or choose from a recent favorite. While youll need to upgrade to get all the apps food insights, you can view calories, carbs, protein and fat for free.
The Diary tab will keep track of your logged food, water and exercise. Itll also show a breakdown of your remaining calories, carbs protein and fat.
In the Me tab, you can keep track of your favorite recipes, food, meals and exercises. Here, you can also check-in on your goal weight progress over time. You can even log and track your waist measurement for free. Under Statistics, you can view your average calorie intake.
The Recipes tab is reserved for premium subscribers. Still, the other free features of the app allow you to track your basic calorie intake, weight loss and keep a log of your food, water and exercise. That makes it perfect for beginners!
Best for Busy People
Free Features: Barcode scanner, calorie counter, exercise log, food diary, goal setting, progress charts, reminders, weight logAvailability: iPhone and AndroidOptional Subscription: Premium Membership ($39.99/year)
If youre looking for a free weight loss app that you can use on the go, Lose It! may be worth your time. Its fast and easy to set up, and the free features are more than youll need to begin tracking your calories, food quality and weight.
Once you download Lose It! and set up your free account, youll be able to enter your goal weight. Then, you can indicate how quickly youd like to reach your goal (by losing 1/2 pound to 2 pounds weekly). From there, you can follow the tutorial to get started or skip it to begin exploring the apps features on your own.
The My Day tab shows a summary including your daily calorie budget and a weekly summary of your calorie intake. It even includes macronutrients! Scroll down to see featured articles in this tab. The Log tab is where youll find your daily food diary and a breakdown of your daily calories/macronutrients. You can also swipe down to see a summary of the current week.
Use the plus sign at the bottom of the app to log your weight, breakfast, lunch, dinner, exercise and snacks throughout the day. Beside each meal in your food log, you can click to add an entry or scan food with your camera. In addition to barcodes, the app can scan food items and make estimates on its nutritional value.
The Goals tab includes a weight chart ranging from the past week to all-time. You can also see a chart depicting your future plans. In the Social tab, you can view or share posts with your friends who are also using Lose It!
No matter which free weight loss app you download, be sure to consult with your doctor before making any major changes to your diet or exercise routine. While each of these apps recommends a number of daily calories, nothing replaces the advice of a trained medical professional.
While all of these apps offer paid premium subscription options, you dont have to spend anything to begin tracking your weight loss or healthy eating journey. The free features available in each app are enough to help you begin counting calories, logging your food and tracking your progress.
Whats your favorite free weight loss app? Let us know in the comments below!
Follow this link:
7 of the Best Free Weight Loss Apps - Clark.com - Clark Howard
- How to live longer - the simple and exotic diet plan to prevent an early death - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Does Diet And Gut Bacteria Contribute To Arteries Aging? - Anti Aging News - July 7th, 2020
- Causes of Constipation and How to Relieve Constipation - LIVESTRONG.COM - July 7th, 2020
- Mark Wahlberg Was Only Supposed to Be Plant-Based for 12 Days. Now Its His Lifestyle. - menshealth.com - July 7th, 2020
- Me and my health: Lady Mary Peters on her lifestyle - Belfast Telegraph - July 7th, 2020
- Justin Bieber Posts Birthday Tribute to Post Malone While Remembering Breonna Taylor on the 4th of July - Billboard - July 7th, 2020
- Our Opinion: Proceed with care in opening schools - Greensboro News & Record - July 7th, 2020
- Weight loss: This Morning host Holly Willoughby stays in shape with simple trick - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Morning fitness challenge: Begin your day with this exercise to stay fit and healthy - Times Now - July 7th, 2020
- What you need to know about the lymphatic system the new frontier of wellness - Telegraph.co.uk - July 7th, 2020
- Trump administration vows to work 'hand in hand' with local governments to reopen schools amid coronavirus - Fox News - July 7th, 2020
- How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement - ESPN - July 7th, 2020
- Can eating chocolates make you fat? Here is a fact-check - Times of India - July 7th, 2020
- Shirtless Justin Bieber calls on people to amp up their fitness routines: Gonna go hard this month - PINKVILLA - July 7th, 2020
- LSHTM to play key role in ground-breaking new study into long-term health impacts of coronavirus - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- Breast cancer treatment may be less effective in obese women - TheHealthSite - July 7th, 2020
- Type 2 diabetes: The refreshing drink proven to stabilise blood sugar levels - Express - July 7th, 2020
- Five at-home exercises for ripped abs, according to a personal trainer - Daily Star - July 7th, 2020
- New national study into long-term health impacts of COVID-19 launched - Mirage News - July 7th, 2020
- What Is The Body Reset Diet By Harley Pasternak? How It Works - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Andrew Thomas is Prepping for His First NFL Season with Burritos, Zoom Meetings, and Piano Breaks. - GQ - July 4th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has a Personal Stake in Fighting Obesity - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Is brown bread good for weight loss? - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Training your body for surgery may improve recovery, reduce complications - HalifaxToday.ca - July 4th, 2020
- Covid has caused many changes in our lives. But there is one thing it has altered daily diet - The Financial Express - July 4th, 2020
- Why Every Person Reacts Differently to Diets - Bicycling - July 4th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Giants Offensive Lineman Andrew Thomas, the No. 4 Pick in This Year's Draft - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson Is Reportedly Using the Mayr Method to Lose Weight, But Is It Healthy? - Prevention.com - July 4th, 2020
- Experts Offer Advice For Getting Back To Healthy Habits Changed By COVID-19 Pandemic - CBS New York - July 4th, 2020
- Hiatal Hernia Yoga, Exercise and Lifestyle Changes To Reduce The Risk of Hiatal Hernia - NJ MMA News - July 4th, 2020
- Exercising with Type 1 Diabetes: The Insulin-Food Balance Challenge - Diabetes In Control - July 4th, 2020
- 'I Did Keto For A Year Then Switched To A Higher-Carb DietAnd I Lost 135 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years' - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 21 kilos without going to gym and by simply following Intermittent Fasting! - Times of India - July 4th, 2020
- Every Person Reacts Differently to DietsHeres Why - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Beginner In Exercising? Here Are Some Important Points To Note And A Basic Workout To Start With - NDTV Doctor - July 4th, 2020
- ExpertSpeak: Effects Of PCOS On Fertility And Its Treatment Options - Femina - July 4th, 2020
- Assessing the Outcomes of a Brief Nutrition Education Intervention Among Division I Football Student-Athletes at Moderate Altitude - United States... - July 4th, 2020
- You Are What You Eat: Nutritional Mythbusting - Varsity Online - July 4th, 2020
- Working on the laptop all day? Try this one exercise regularly to avoid eye strain - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight? The Surprising Truth - July 1st, 2020
- Fitness for Diabetes: How Diet and Exercise Can Help You - July 1st, 2020
- 7 things you may be doing that can prevent weight loss - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Mayr method diet: What is the Viva Mayr diet plan? - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- American Cancer Societys updated diet and physical activity guidelines to help lower cancer risk - The Globe and Mail - July 1st, 2020
- Exercising On An Empty Stomach: What Experts Think - Medical Daily - July 1st, 2020
- Former Mr. Texas is Transforming the C-Suite - D Magazine - July 1st, 2020
- Christina Anstead Reveals She's Getting Back to Work on Her HGTV Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 1 breakfast fruit juice to protect against deadly hypertension - Express - July 1st, 2020
- High cholesterol: Four biggest habits to stop to lower levels and best food to include - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Jenni Murray: I hate the diet industry. Its caused me misery - The Guardian - July 1st, 2020
- Thrive patch: Does it help with weight loss? - Medical News Today - July 1st, 2020
- 2 R.I. hospitals to take part in big Alzheimers study - The Providence Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Green tea: Best time to drink healthy beverage for quick weight loss results - Express - June 30th, 2020
- More Than One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Metabolic Syndrome - Healthline - June 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of David Dobrik, Who is Skipping Workouts and Eating Watermelon Sandwiches - GQ - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Anti-Aging Foods to Add to Your Diet - Top Anti-Aging Foods for Hair, Skin, Gut Health - TownandCountrymag.com - June 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the five exercises you can do at home to prevent hypertension - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THIS Japanese long breathing technique to lose weight - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- How to live longer: The five key criteria for protecting against cancer and an early death - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Tesco worker lost 7 stone and dropped five dress sizes with this diet plan - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The joints - Loma Linda University Health - June 30th, 2020
- Is fasted cardio better for weight loss? This research might have the answer - T3 - June 30th, 2020
- Is Swimming A Good Workout For Weight Loss? How To Swim To Lose Weight - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's Weight Loss Secrets Revealed: Here's the diet and exercise plan - PINKVILLA - June 22nd, 2020
- Lost your motivation to eat healthy and exercise during the pandemic? You are not alone - Health24 - June 22nd, 2020
- Best Foods to Eat and Avoid for Migraines - WTOP - June 22nd, 2020
- Local doctor gives tips on how to boost your immune system effectively - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Back pain - the best dinner vegetable you should add to your diet for avoiding backache - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How to live longer - the 85p fruit you should add to your diet to avoid an early death - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Five Healthy Choices Tied to Dramatic Cut in Dementia Risk - Medscape - June 22nd, 2020
- Delayed periods? Time to accept that household chores dont equate to exercise - Times of India - June 22nd, 2020
- How a High-Alkaline Diet Helps Avoid Injury and Recover Faster - The Beet - June 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight in legs quickly and effectively: TOP 5 tips - The Times Hub - June 22nd, 2020
- Active nutrition and immunity: Experts discuss key ingredients, personalization, the microbiome, and more - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Adult Acne Is Real: Here Are the Foods That Can Cause It - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- Juice diet plan: The best juices to help burn belly fat in 2 weeks and keep it off - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How the foods you eat might help you fight cancer - Williston Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Mind Healing: How are stress, sleep and sugary food connected; and what can we do about it? - Telegraph.co.uk - June 22nd, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The urinary tract - Loma Linda University Health - June 22nd, 2020