Most people try fasting with one goal in mind: losing weight.
But science has also discovered health benefits linked to whole-day, alternate-day, and time-restricted fasting, says Carolyn Williams, Ph.D., the registered dietitian that helped develop the new book The Mens Health Guide to Intermittent Fasting.
Scientists speculate that the benefits of short-term fasts may come from the structured break they provide to around-the-clock eating.
Even if you dont change the content of your diet, by controlling the time period in which your calories are consumed, you give your body a pause from a constant onslaught food, says Williams.
Maybe youre skeptical. But Williams says that, at first, she was too.
The Men's Health Guide to Intermittent Fasting
She studied the research. She looked at the data. She even tried a time-restricted fast herself. I expected the fast to affect my blood sugar because Im prone to low blood sugar and I know how I get without eating, Williams says.
But Williams says she was surprised to find that she had no trouble going 16 hours without eating. Her method: She stopped eating after dinner and fasted from 7 p.m. to 11 a.m., following the popular 16:8 intermittent fasting pattern, which leaves an 8-hour-long window for eating.
I find Im really not hungry; in fact, sometimes I have to remind myself to eat lunch, Williams says.
While more research is needed to determine if fasting is effective for long-term dieting, theres no debate that it works in the short-term.
By refraining from eating for at least 12 hours (ideally 16), your body starts burning through glucose and can begin tapping fat for fuel, explains Williams. Studies show that you can expect to lose between 3 and 8 percent of your bodyweight in as few as three weeks.
Atit Phetmuangtong / EyeEm
Compared to calorie-restriction diets, intermittent fasting tends to trigger more belly fat loss, the research suggests. Anecdotally, Williams says she senses greater energy and improved clarity of thought.
Here are some other potential upsides of intermittent fasting, each supported by research.
Whenever you restrict calories and lose weight, some of that weight comes from a reduction in muscle mass. That goes for intermittent fasts as well as traditional calorie-restriction diets.
However, at least one study conducted by the Department of Kinesiology and Nutrition at the University of Illinois suggests that intermittent fasting may be more effective for retaining muscle mass.
The study compared overweight and obese adults who followed a calorie restriction diet with similar-weight subjects who restricted calories through intermittent fasting. After 12 weeks, the researchers found both diets to be equally effective in trimming body weight and fat mass, but less muscle was lost by the group that fasted.
Overweight people who could choose any 10-hour timeframe to eat as long as they refrained from eating the other 14 hours of the day saw a reduction in waist circumference and visceral abdominal fat after 12 weeks, according to a report in the journal Cell Metabolism.
The study in Cell Metabolism referenced above also demonstrated the potential of intermittent fasting to reduce risk of metabolic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
All the participants in the study were diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, a cluster of health conditionsincluding high blood sugar, excess abdominal fat, high blood pressure, and abnormal cholesterol or triglycerides levelsthat occurring together boost the risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke, and heart disease.
After 12 weeks, every participant experienced improvement in all of the common markers of metabolic syndrome.
A similar study in the journal Translational Research found that alternate-day fasting, in which participants restricted calories by 75 percent on a fast day, followed by a feed day without calorie restriction, resulted in clinically significant reductions in blood sugar and insulin resistance.
A study published in Nutrition and Healthy Aging demonstrated that participants who practiced 16:8 intermittent fasting without calorie counting significantly reduced their systolic blood pressure compared to a control group after 12 weeks.
Inflammation is your bodys natural way of fighting off infection, illness, and injury. But theres another type of inflammation, a chronic inflammation that can silently trigger heart disease and diabetes.
Smoking, mental stress, and a regular diet of fatty, fried, or sugary foods are common causes. Several studies have shown that intermittent fasting may induce an anti-inflammatory effect that reduces risk of those metabolic diseasesand even improve pulmonary function in people with asthma.
Whats more, a reduction in inflammation due to short-term fasting appears to protect the brain from memory disorders and depression, according to a study in Obesity.
Even when you dont lose weight while on an intermittent fasting routine, your cells may benefit from extra protection, according to a study in Cell Metabolism.
The study assigned men with prediabetes to either a 6-hour early eating period, where they could eat only from 8 a.m. until dinner before 2 p.m., fasting the rest of the day, or a 12-hour feeding period.
At the end of five weeks, the researchers found that the men on the early time- restricted fast improved blood pressure and insulin sensitivity (as expected), but also improved resistance to oxidative stress, where unstable molecules called free radicals can damage proteins and DNA.
Rodent studies suggest that intermittent fasting, which is much easier to maintain than extreme calorie cutting, may boost lifespan, too. In one study comparing rats who were given unrestricted access to food to rats who were fed every other day, the rats who fasted lived 83 percent longer than those who gorged themselves.
For a quick primer on how to start a health-boosting fast yourself, plus dozens of delicious recipes for brunch, dinner, and even Keto-diet-friendly meals, check out The Mens Health Guide to Intermittent Fasting here.
Read the original:
7 Intermittent Fasting Benefits That Aren't Weight Loss - Men's Health
- The Situation Is Using His Prison Workouts to Stay Ripped in Quarantine - menshealth.com - May 26th, 2020
- How To Get Through A Prostate Check, And Other Tests Most Men Dread - Men's Health - May 26th, 2020
- These Men's Health Supplements Will Help You Celebrate a Lifetime of Father's Days - The Daily Beast - May 21st, 2020
- 63 of the Fittest Men of All-Time - Pulse Live Kenya - May 21st, 2020
- Method Men 2 in 1 Shampoo and Conditioner Review - Men's Health - May 20th, 2020
- NBA Star Donovan Mitchell Shared the Diet That's Keeping Him Game Ready - menshealth.com - May 20th, 2020
- 12 Best Reef-Safe Sunscreens of 2020, According to Experts - Men's Health - May 20th, 2020
- Partner Park Workout: Build Your Chest And Abs - Men's health UK - May 20th, 2020
- Study reveals countries in Asia have largest mens health gaps in the G20 - ETHealthworld.com - May 20th, 2020
- Mens Health, Womens Health Team Up on Relay for Relief - Adweek - May 17th, 2020
- Garmin Venu Smartwatch Review - 3-Month Wear of the $300 Device - menshealth.com - May 17th, 2020
- How to Edit Videos on Your iPhone and iPad Like an Influencer - menshealth.com - May 17th, 2020
- The New Rules of Getting a Haircut - menshealth.com - May 17th, 2020
- Grapes, Health, and a Healthy Immune System | Sponsored - Capital Press - May 17th, 2020
- Relay For Reliefs Virtual Workout Schedule Was Just Released And There Are So Many Great Classes - Women's Health - May 17th, 2020
- FIRST LOOK: Girls to Women/Young Men's Health and Wellness in McKinney fills void in adolescent health care - Community Impact Newspaper - May 6th, 2020
- Bag Lean Muscle and Functional Strength With Our 20-Minute DIY Home Workout - Men's Health - May 6th, 2020
- Why COVID-19 Is Hitting Men Harder Than Women - Healthline - May 1st, 2020
- Russell Westbrook's Killer Workout Shows Why You Should Give Sand Training a Try - menshealth.com - April 24th, 2020
- Liam Hemsworth Shows Off His Muscles As He Covers Mens Health - Celebrity Insider - April 18th, 2020
- Rubbing Alcohol and Liquor Should Not Be Used to Clean Your Hands - menshealth.com - April 18th, 2020
- Liam Hemsworth Is Back in Action - Men's Health - April 14th, 2020
- Le Creuset's Farm-to-Table Sale Has Awesome Deals on Cookware Today - Men's Health - April 3rd, 2020
- Facebook Live Support Group will address black men's mental health and well-being during COVID-19 pandemic - madison365.com - April 3rd, 2020
- I Work for Men's Health, I'm a Vegan and Exercise Five Times a Week. And I Caught Covid-19 - Men's health UK - March 29th, 2020
- Men's Health and Wellness Start-Up Vault Raises $30 Million in Series A Funding - BeautyMatter - March 29th, 2020
- Heres What 'Tiger King' Star John Finlay Looks Like With a New Set of Teeth - menshealth.com - March 27th, 2020
- Deschutes Wowza! Is the Rare Low-Calorie Beer That Tastes Great - menshealth.com - March 15th, 2020
- Should You Go to a Group Fitness Class During the Coronavirus Pandemic? - menshealth.com - March 15th, 2020
- 4 Things You Need to Know Before Buying Multivitamins - Men's health UK - March 15th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Eating Window - IF Weight Loss Tips - Men's Health - March 15th, 2020
- Toxic masculinity found to have an actual effect on mens health - Dazed - March 15th, 2020
- Sleep Impacts Performance More Than You Might Want to Believe - Men's Health - March 9th, 2020
- Its Official: Eggs Are Not Bad for You, According to New Research - Men's health UK - March 9th, 2020
- What Are The Symptoms of the Coronavirus Disease? - menshealth.com - March 3rd, 2020
- Why CrossFit Is Going After Your Grandpa - menshealth.com - March 2nd, 2020
- 35 Best Podcasts In Health & Fitness - Men's Health - February 26th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Men Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training Workouts - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- PA Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - Mash Viral - February 24th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Guys Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 22nd, 2020
- P.A. Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - paNOW - February 22nd, 2020
- The Bodyweight Workout That Will Send Your Metabolism Soaring - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Mens health: Overactive bladder and its burdensome complications among ageing Malaysians - Malay Mail - February 20th, 2020
- This Full-Body, Gym-Free Workout Will Add Muscle, Burn Fat and Build Mental Grit - Men's health UK - February 6th, 2020
- Joey Sasso of Netflix's The Circle Talks Keto & More in New Interview - menshealth.com - February 1st, 2020
- Henry Cavill Has Finally Addressed Those James Bond Rumours - Men's health UK - February 1st, 2020
- 5 Reasons to Buy the March Issue of Men's Health - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- Vionic Morris Active Sneaker - MH Certified Review - Men's Health - January 30th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Explains How He Built Muscle and Burned Fat Simultaneously for 'The Witcher' - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- This Full-Body Workout Builds Lean Muscle Fast and Only Needs One Piece of Equipment - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- I worry for my teenage boys the beauty standards for young men are out of control - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- Gardner Minshew named Snickers 'Hungriest Player of the Year' - Jaguars Wire - January 30th, 2020
- How Getting Shredded Helped This Trans Man Find His Confidence - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Man Gained Almost 20 Pounds of Muscle After Plateauing for Years - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Couple Eliminated Nearly $100K of Debt in a Single Year - Men's Health - January 27th, 2020
- Try Using Kneeling Biceps Curls in Workouts to Grow Your Arms - menshealth.com - January 24th, 2020
- This 200-Rep Dumbbell Workout Spikes Your Fat-Burn and Builds Muscle - Men's health UK - January 24th, 2020
- How Stan Wawrinka Stays At The Top Of His Game - Men's Health - January 13th, 2020
- 5 Conventional Lifting Rules to Break to Build More Muscle - menshealth.com - January 12th, 2020
- Workout Finishers: 4 Short, Sharp Workout Finishers to Add To Try - Men's health UK - January 10th, 2020
- Getting the Bachelor's First Impression Rose Isn't That Important - menshealth.com - January 10th, 2020
- The Bodyweight Home Workout That Crushes Calories - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- What You Need To Know About Muscle Dysmorphia And How To Overcome it - Men's Health - January 9th, 2020
- A Letter From The Editor: How Football Can Change Hearts And Minds - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- The Ultimate Men's Pants Style Guide - Types of Trousers for Men - Men's Health - January 4th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 80 Pounds With a Little Help and a Fitness Tracker - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Male health: The serious challenges with which boys and young men contend - Open Access Government - January 4th, 2020
- Rich Brian on Diplo, Yoga, and Being a 'Meme Rapper' - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- 'Snowglobing' Is the Newest Confusing Holiday Dating Trend - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- Smoking Cannabis Possibly Increases ED Risk - Renal and Urology News - December 21st, 2019
- Men's Health: The modern masculinity bible that goes beyond the pages - Mediaweek - December 18th, 2019
- These Miansai x Fila Targa Sneakers are the Only White Kicks You Need to Own - Men's Health - December 13th, 2019
- Timbaland Explains His Weight Loss and Music - menshealth.com - December 13th, 2019
- Sparrow Caregivers get hairy to win Who-Grew-It-Best contest for men's health awareness - WSYM-TV - December 13th, 2019
- Men hate going to the doctor and that could lead to bigger health problems - WRAL.com - December 10th, 2019
- Andrew Luck and Jason Kander Show How the Strength Myth Crumbles - menshealth.com - December 8th, 2019
- Why James Smith Is The "Gordon Ramsay Of The Fitness World" - Men's Health - December 3rd, 2019
- Sports clubs take part in Movember in aid of mens' health - ForgeToday - December 3rd, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 29th, 2019
- Men's Health Therapeutics Market to Receive Overwhelming Hike in Revenues by 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 29th, 2019