Losing weight isn't just about what you don't put in your body. In fact, the foods that you eat may help your body burn calories. If your doctor says that losing weight may benefit your health, then you may want to find ways to speed up your metabolism.
One way to boost your metabolism is by making changes to your diet and consuming foods that are proven to positively affect metabolism. Though eating these foods alone won't make or break your weight loss journey, they may be able to help you shed pounds.
Here are six foods and drinks that can help boost your metabolism.
The metabolism-boosting properties of chili peppers are due to a compound called capsaicin, says Zhaoping Li, MD, PhD, a professor of medicine at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine and director of the Center for Human Nutrition. This compound is also what's responsible for giving chili peppers their spicy flavor.
A 2017 review reported that capsaicin activates the TRPV1 receptor, which is involved in metabolism and body weight, by being involved in energy homeostasis and energy expenditure.
As an added bonus, chili peppers may also suppress appetite, which is useful in weight loss. A small 2014 study found that consuming a dose of capsaicin with every meal resulted in greater satiety, or feelings of fullness.
How to add it to your diet: Li suggests adding chili to your vegetable and meat dishes to reap the benefits. If you don't like spicy food, you can opt for capsaicin supplements.
Coffee and caffeine are associated with weight loss and may assist in weight loss maintenance by increasing metabolic rate and decreasing appetite. Li says caffeine increases dopamine and noradrenaline, two neurotransmitters that may increase metabolism
"A moderate consumption of coffee may have some beneficial effects on weight loss and calorie intake," says Roberta Anding, RD, registered dietitian at Baylor College of Medicine.
For example, a 2020 study found that drinking four cups of coffee a day was associated with a modest loss of fat mass.
How to add it to your diet: Li says drinking black coffee is the best way to get metabolic benefits.
If you don't like coffee, Li says that a great alternative is tea, since it still has the caffeine content, although less caffeine than coffee. A 2016 study found that people who maintain weight loss reported consuming significantly more caffeinated beverages. Additionally, a small 2012 study found that green tea specifically was able to boost resting metabolic rate in overweight and obese women.
Plus, different kinds of tea such as green tea contain compounds called catechins which are believed to boost metabolism, as well.
How to add it to your diet: Consume your tea without anything added to it for the best results.
Ginger has various properties involving weight management. Anding says ginger contains compounds called shogaols which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory and weight loss properties. Li adds that ginger intake has been reported to improve metabolic profiles through increased insulin receptors, elevated pancreatic beta cells' functions, and modifying the adipokines concentrations. Additionally, ginger can help you lose weight by stimulating digestion, decreasing inflammation, and suppressing appetite.
A small 2012 study showed that drinking hot water with two grams of ginger powder dissolved in it was associated with lower hunger and greater feelings of fullness.
How to add it to your diet: Make ginger tea or add ginger to meat or vegetable dishes, says Li. Additionally, Anding says you can take ginger supplements.
Anding says dietary protein promotes satiety, or a sense of fullness. Additionally, she says it takes more energy to metabolize protein, so there is an increase in metabolic rate when you consume high-protein foods.
This is known as the thermic effect of food (TEF), or diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT). A 2014 study noted that DIT produced by protein results in a 15% to 30% increase in metabolic rate.
How to add it to your diet: Incorporate high-protein foods like meats into your meals throughout the day.
Legumes which are a family of plants that includes chickpeas, soybeans, and lentils are great for boosting metabolism since they are very high in protein. In addition to the metabolism boost caused by the protein, Anding says legumes can also help to promote fullness, since they are high in fiber.
A small 2009 study found that obese men who ate a high-protein diet or a legume diet were more likely to lose weight than people on a control diet.
How to add it to your diet: Li recommends consuming legumes as your protein and starch source in your meal. Don't consume legumes with more starch if you're looking to lose weight. She suggests a meal of legumes cooked with spices along with lean meat.
While these foods and drinks may help boost your metabolism, it's important that you make further changes if you want to lose weight effectively.
"Body fat loss is a complex process and most of the compounds or foods associated with an increase in metabolic rate and increased protein and water intake need to be part of an overall calorically restricted meal plan," says Anding.
- Women Weight Management Market Summary, Trends, Sizing Analysis and Forecast To - Business-newsupdate.com - January 25th, 2021
- Dietary Adherence and the Fight Against Obesity - Newswise - January 25th, 2021
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size by 2027 | Industry Segmentation by Type, Application, Regions, Key News and Top Companies Profiles -... - January 25th, 2021
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Outlook, Regional Trends Analysis, Global Forecast and Key Manufacturers Ajinomoto Co.,Inc., Herbalife... - January 25th, 2021
- Preventive Healthcare Measures to Combat Obesity and Lifestyle Diseases Steer Demand for Nutritional Lipids Globally - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- The benefits of exercise for your physical and mental health - Medical News Today - January 25th, 2021
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 Size Share Upcoming Trends Segmentation And Forecast To 2025 Murphy's Hockey Law - Murphy's Hockey... - January 25th, 2021
- [Full text] Efficacy of Specified Manual Therapies in Combination with a Supervise | JPR - Dove Medical Press - January 25th, 2021
- Rebel Wilsons slimming body care routine following her Year of Health - Telegraph.co.uk - January 25th, 2021
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2021 Share, Growth, Key Manufacturers, Analysis and Opportunity Assessment,... - January 25th, 2021
- What the research says about ginger's weight-loss benefits, and why you should be skeptical - Insider - INSIDER - January 24th, 2021
- Quarantine weight gain: Causes and tips to manage and reverse it - Medical News Today - January 24th, 2021
- Herbal tea for weight loss: Stick to your weight management plans - Times of India - January 24th, 2021
- Counting calories: What to know to lose or gain weight - Medical News Today - January 24th, 2021
- You can be obese and healthy, but you can also lose weight in a positive way - Insider - INSIDER - January 24th, 2021
- Nutritionists Say Eat These Winter Superfoods to Lose Weight - The Beet - January 24th, 2021
- Quality of life improvements after weight-loss surgery - Norton Healthcare - January 24th, 2021
- 2020 Insights into the Global Weight Loss And Weight Management Market by Market Research Store - Reviewindependent - January 24th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2021 | Trends, Growth Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 |Weight Watchers,... - January 24th, 2021
- Bimagrumab Linked to Dramatic Weight Loss in Patients with Diabetes and Obesity - MD Magazine - January 24th, 2021
- Weight Management Market Is Estimated to Experience a Notable Rise in the Coming Era: Weight Watchers, ICON Health & Fitness, Brunswick... - January 24th, 2021
- What Is Green-Mediterranean Diet? How It Promotes Weight Loss, Heart Health; Foods To Eat - NDTV Food - January 24th, 2021
- ReShape Lifesciences Inc. to Merge With Obalon Therapeutics, Inc. to Expand Weight Loss Product Offering - BioSpace - January 24th, 2021
- 'I've never felt this happy with myself': Akron bariatric teen patient finds new lifestyle - Akron Beacon Journal - January 24th, 2021
- New Publications Provide Healthcare Providers Practical Strategies to Help Patients Reduce Added Sugars in the New Year - Indiana Statesman - January 24th, 2021
- Types and stages of COPD: Symptoms, causes, and more - Medical News Today - January 24th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Brunswick... - January 24th, 2021
- Here's How Dianne Feinstein Was Involved in the Night Stalker Case - POPSUGAR - January 24th, 2021
- The biggest weight loss transformations of 2020 - Fox News - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- 12 Side Effects of Eating Oatmeal, Say Dietitians | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 31st, 2020
- Global Nutrition And Weight Management Products Market insights from profiling key companies based on financial position, product portfolio, and... - December 31st, 2020
- Weight Loss and Obesity Management Market Top Leading Companies, Consumption, Key Drivers, Challenges and Trends Forecast to 2027|- Ajinomoto Co,... - December 31st, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Johnson Health Tech,... - December 31st, 2020
- Upgrade your weight loss plan by adding these winter foods to your diet - Times Now - December 22nd, 2020
- Balance by BistroMD review: Pros and cons - Medical News Today - December 22nd, 2020
- Weight Management Market Shows Boosted Growth Rate in Forecast to 2026 | Coherent Market Insights - The Monitor - December 22nd, 2020
- Keto Weight Loss: What to Expect After 1 Week - Healthline - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Global Status and Business Outlook 2020 to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 20th, 2020
- Talking to Kids about Weight: What the Internet Says and Why Researchers Are Wary - DrexelNow - Drexel Now - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Per - GroundAlerts.com - December 20th, 2020
- Intellihealth: Integrates Population Management with Primary Care to Enhance Weight Loss Outcomes - MedicalResearch.com - December 20th, 2020
- The Healthiest Diets of 2020, According to Experts | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - December 20th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 | (COVID 19 Analysis) Offered In New Most recent Research Report with... - December 20th, 2020
- MannKind and Vertice to Co-Promote Thyquidity (levothyroxine sodium) Oral Solution - GlobeNewswire - December 20th, 2020
- Associations of time-restricted eating with health-related quality of life and sleep in adults: a secondary analysis of two pre-post pilot studies -... - December 20th, 2020
- Weight Management Market Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Market Feed - November 27th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Weight Loss and Diet Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Weight Watchers,... - November 27th, 2020
- 3 Important Things to Lower Weight Loss Surgery Risks - TheHealthMania - November 27th, 2020
- 12 Ways To Prevent Holiday Weight Gain This December - Longevity LIVE - November 27th, 2020
- Middle East & Africa Egg White Powder Market Forecast to 2027 - COVID-19 Impact and Regional Analysis By Grade, Distribution Channel, and... - November 27th, 2020
- SWIFt Study: Weight-loss strategy aims to prioritise the 'health' of our healthcare workers - Monash Lens - November 27th, 2020
- Weight Loss and Weight Management Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 25th, 2020
- Stress Weight Loss: Causes, Treatment, and Prevention - Greatist - November 25th, 2020
- Age is not a barrier to losing weight, study finds - Atlanta Journal Constitution - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid 19 On Weight Loss and Diet Management Products and Services Market 2020 Industry Challenges Business Overview And Forecast Research... - November 25th, 2020
- Impact Of Covid-19 on Weight Management Market 2020 Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast Research Study 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean... - November 25th, 2020
- Add more plant-based options to your diet with this healthy 7-day flexitarian meal plan - Insider - INSIDER - November 25th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of Covid-19 On Women Weight Management Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - Eurowire - November 25th, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on Health and Weight Management Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 | Herbalife, Weight... - November 25th, 2020
- SavvyWP.com Highlights the Importance of Weight Management Over the Holiday Season - The News Front - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Loss Market Report, History And Forecast 2020-2027, Breakdown Data By Manufacturers, Key Regions, Types And Application - Khabar South Asia - November 25th, 2020
- Weight Management Packaged Food Market Size, Analysis, and Forecast Report 2018 to 2028 - The Market Feed - November 25th, 2020
- Collagen Market Worth $7.53 billion by 2027- Exclusive Report Covering Pre and Post COVID-19 Market Analysis by Meticulous Research - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2020
- Global Weight Management Devices Market Report 2020 Significant Trends and Factors Driving the Market Development Forecast to 2027 - ICOTodayMagazine - November 24th, 2020
- Weight Management Market With Top Countries data : Evolving Technology, Trends and Industry Analysis 2026 | Herbalife International Inc., NutriSystem... - November 24th, 2020
- Weight loss: I gave up my biggest addiction Maggi and lost 20 kilos in 5 months with diet control and workout! - Times of India - November 24th, 2020
- High-protein total replacement diet helps burn fat: Here's how you can switch to it for effective weight loss - Times Now - November 24th, 2020
- Advances in the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease - The BMJ - November 24th, 2020
- Global Weight Loss and Diet Management Market Expected To Reach Highest CAGR by 2026 : Weight Watchers, Abbott Nutrition, The Coca-Cola, Pepsico,... - November 24th, 2020
- Could people achieve remission of type 2 diabetes without needing to lose weight? - On Medicine - BMC Blogs Network - November 24th, 2020
- Online Weight Loss Programs Market will surge to the highest levels By 2027 - PRnews Leader - November 24th, 2020
- Kaleb Wesson: 'I can operate the pick-and-pop at the highest level' - Hoops Hype - November 24th, 2020
- What Is the Healthiest Bread? - msnNOW - November 24th, 2020
- Winning isn't always about taking first, sometimes it's about being there at all - Williston Daily Herald - November 5th, 2020
- 5 Tips to work your way out of a food rut - TheHealthSite - November 5th, 2020
- Menopause Weight Gain: Is It Inevitable? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 5th, 2020
- Innerme's Organic Plant-Based Sports Nutrition Supplements Debuted This Month at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports... - October 22nd, 2020
- Trends Of Weight Management Packaged Foods Market Reviewed For 2020 With Industry Outlook To 2025 - PRnews Leader - October 22nd, 2020
- INNOVIOM Debuted Tranquini and Wowie Relaxation Beverages at ECRM's Annual Vitamin, Weight Management, Beverage & Sports Nutrition Program for... - October 22nd, 2020