While many people all over the world fast for religious and cultural reasons, there are also proven health benefits of this practice, as long as you do it safely.
Fasting is when you do not eat for a certain period of time. If you are fasting for health purposes, you can still drink water or black coffee.
There are many different types of fasting, says Andrew Wang, MD, PhD, a professor of immunobiology at Yale School of Medicine. The main types are:
Fasting has many mental and physical health benefits. Here are five benefits of fasting and how they work:
One of the main benefits of fasting is that it may reduce inflammation.
Inflammation is your body's natural response to infection and usually disappears after damaged cells are healed. However, when your body undergoes oxidative stress a process caused by an accumulation of free radicals you can enter a state of chronic inflammation. That's because these free radicals, which can come from both outside sources like pollution and bodily processes like digestion, begin attacking healthy tissues and cells.
Chronic inflammation can damage healthy cells, tissues, and organs, and is associated with many diseases, including heart attacks and strokes.
There are several ways that fasting may reduce inflammation in the body. First, when your body is in a fasted state, it is unable to convert glucose from food into energy, Wang says. Instead, your body has to rely on an alternative energy source called ketone bodies, which come from fatty acids. Your body produces fewer free radicals when burning ketones, which helps to reduce inflammation.
Fasting may also reduce inflammation by decreasing the number of monocytes a type of inflammatory white blood cell in the bloodstream. A small 2019 study on humans and mice found that short-term fasting for 19 hours significantly reduced monocytes in blood circulation.
When we age, our organs are prone to chronic inflammation called "inflammaging," Wang says. Chronic inflammation can contribute to cognitive decline and dementia potentially due to plaque buildup in the brain. Fasting helps to counter this by reducing inflammation, Wang says.
There is a growing body of research that suggests fasting can prevent the development of Alzheimer's in animals. While the research has not yet been conducted in humans, a 2019 study found that intermittent fasting can slow cognitive decline and improve the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease in mice.
The cognitive benefits of fasting are not restricted to the elderly. A small 2016 study tested amateur weightlifters after a 48 hour fast and found that fasting improved mental flexibility, which was defined as theirability to quickly and efficiently switch between tasks.
Fasting may also regulate blood sugar levels. Maintaining normal blood sugar is important to protect against diseases like type 2 diabetes.
Blood sugar increases when you eat, so it naturally falls when you fast, Wang says. However, your body will prevent your blood sugar from dipping too much by making glucose itself. This keeps your blood sugar at a healthy levels, which is considered above 70 mg/dL.
A small 2019 study of men at risk for type 2 diabetes found that restricting eating to a nine-hour window, called intermittent fasting, helped improve glucose tolerance. If you have diabetes, consult a doctor before fasting, as it can increase the risk of diabetic ketoacidosis for those who use insulin to treat their diabetes.
While research on this topic is limited, Wang says it is reasonable to assume that fasting boosts heart health by reducing inflammation and protecting against diabeteswhich are both risk factors for heart attacks and strokes.
A small 2012 study tested Muslims with a history of heart disease who fasted intermittently for Ramadan. After their fast ended, there was an improvement in their 10-year coronary heart disease risk score and a reduction in other heart risk factors like lipids profile, systolic blood pressure, and weight.
Fasting helps you lose weight by restricting the number of calories you eat. Intermittent fasting eating your meals in an eight-hour window earlier in the day helps with weight loss by keeping blood sugar levels lower in the evening when you are less active.
However, there is mixed evidence regarding if fasting for weight loss is more effective than a calorie-restricted diet. A 2015 review found intermittent fasting tends to lead to weight loss, with participants typically losing around seven to 11 pounds in 10 weeks. However, other studies found that intermittent fasting and calorie restriction were equally effective in helping people lose weight.
If you're looking to lose weight, talk to your doctor about the best method for you.
Fasting times can range significantly. While intermittent fasting usually involves fasting for about 16 hours a day, longer fasts can range from 24 to 72 hours.
There's no magic amount of time you should fast for, Wang says. The best thing to do is to listen to your body and determine what type of fast works for you. If you are feeling jittery, nauseous, faint, or otherwise unwell while fasting, Wang says you should consider breaking your fast.
People who should not fast include those who are:
You should consult with your doctor before fasting if you are:
Fasting may offer health benefits, like reduced inflammation, better heart health, and improved cognitive functioning. However, fasting is not advisable for certain people, and going too long without food can be harmful. If you are interested in fasting, it is important to listen to your body and ask your doctor if it's safe to fast.
See the original post here:
5 science-backed benefits of fasting, and how to fast safely and effectively - INSIDER
- How to Lose Weight with Fasting - BOXROX - November 11th, 2020
- 5 Myths About Calories That Could Prevent You From Losing Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 11th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson touches on emotional eating struggles prior to losing weight - Geo News - November 11th, 2020
- Weight loss can reduce the risk of heart attack - Gulf Today - November 11th, 2020
- Do you have a thyroid condition? Here are 5 weight loss tips for people with hypothyroidism - Times Now - November 11th, 2020
- Guess which exercise burns fat the fastest: For weight loss, it's surprisingly simple - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- Trial finds limiting calories more important than the time of day you eat - New Atlas - November 11th, 2020
- Suffering from diabetes? Reducing body fat linked to lower heart risk among diabetic patients - TheHealthSite - November 11th, 2020
- How to avoid weight gain at home: 8 home weight loss tips and essential equipment - T3 - November 11th, 2020
- You Don't Have to Go Keto to Lose Weight, Says This Diet Expert - The Beet - November 9th, 2020
- How losing weight through fruits affects health, tips from nutritionist - Yahoo Philippines News - November 9th, 2020
- More Americans are Trying to Lose Weight Than Ever Before, Study Finds - msnNOW - November 9th, 2020
- The Health at Every Size Philosophy Aims To Make Health Care More Inclusive of Larger-Sized Bodies - Well+Good - November 9th, 2020
- Scots finding their get up and go after 50 by losing weight and moving abroad - Daily Record - November 9th, 2020
- One Shot Keto Reviews Details One Shot Keto Pills Read Ingredients and Really Work - Riverfront Times - November 9th, 2020
- The shape I'm in: Cork comedian Sinead Quinlan on her TV show and losing weight during lockdown - Irish Examiner - November 9th, 2020
- Pick Up These 5 Great Items To Help Lose Weight Quickly - Men's Journal - November 5th, 2020
- Why Am I Not Losing Weight on the Starch Solution? These 12 Simple Tweaks Can Help - POPSUGAR - November 5th, 2020
- Contradictheory: My secret to losing weight (it's not what you think) - The Star Online - November 5th, 2020
- The #1 Way to Lose Weight You Haven't Tried Yet, Say Doctors - Yahoo Lifestyle - November 5th, 2020
- Weight loss: 6 reasons why you may not be losing weight with Surya Namaskar - Times of India - November 5th, 2020
- Dry Fasting: Health Benefits of This Lesser Known Yet New Way to Fitness - News18 - November 5th, 2020
- 'By Counting Macros And Weightlifting To Train For A Fitness Competition, I Lost 140 Pounds' - Women's Health - November 5th, 2020
- R Walk Fitness catching on The Famuan - Famuan - November 5th, 2020
- How TikTok became a hotbed of pro-anorexic videos and severely underweight influencers promoting - The Sun - November 5th, 2020
- Doing This One Thing Can Drive Your Weight Loss, New Study Shows - Yahoo Canada Shine On - October 28th, 2020
- With Weight Watchers And The Nike Running App, I Finally Broke Out Of My Weight-Loss Rut - Women's Health - October 28th, 2020
- Best nutrition apps: 10 of the top options - Medical News Today - October 28th, 2020
- Weight loss: can your 'settling point' prevent you from losing weight in the long term? - T3 (Australia) - October 28th, 2020
- How Can You Get Rid of Back Fat? 11 Tips for the Gym and Your Plate - Greatist - October 28th, 2020
- The Best and Worst Snacks for Weight Loss - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 28th, 2020
- 8 Best and Worst Types of Alcohol for Weight Loss - Everyday Health - October 28th, 2020
- Losing 13 percent of your weight could lead to big health improvements - The Oakland Press - October 28th, 2020
- There's a way to make weight loss easier and it involves your partner (no, it's not sex) - T3 - October 28th, 2020
- Control your weight to lower stroke risk: 5 diet, fitness tips to help you shed pounds and keep them off - Times Now - October 28th, 2020
- Utah Latinos are urged to stay safe from COVID-19, avoid big holiday gatherings - Salt Lake Tribune - October 28th, 2020
- Definition is broader than what we covered | Jackson Hole Woman - Jackson Hole News&Guide - October 28th, 2020
- Khabib Nurmagomedov and Uriah Halls Traumatic Seizures May Reveal Dangers of Cutting Weight in the UFC - Sportscasting - October 28th, 2020
- Princeton Police Dept's Annual Coat Drive is Going On Now - 94.5 PST - October 28th, 2020
- Getting The Most Possible From Your Daily Workouts - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- 5 things to know about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome - StarNewsOnline.com - October 28th, 2020
- Artificial Sweeteners in Drinks are Not Healthy and Safe for Heart - TheHealthMania - October 28th, 2020
- Learning About the Health Benefits of SUP Yoga Exercise - Chiang Rai Times - October 28th, 2020
- Do you really lose weight by fat-free and sugar-free diets? Know the pros and cons of such eating patterns - Times Now - October 22nd, 2020
- DECODED: Why is it harder for short people to lose weight - Times of India - October 22nd, 2020
- Best weight loss diets: Experts weigh in on Whole30, Paleo, Keto and more - CNET - October 22nd, 2020
- Suniel Shetty reveals his formula of gaining and losing weight - GQ India - October 22nd, 2020
- Study says this is the #1 thing that causes you to gain weight - BGR - October 22nd, 2020
- Lose weight in your sleep with these bedtime drinks - TheHealthSite - October 22nd, 2020
- Woman missing for 2 weeks found safe in Zion National Park - Seymour Tribune - October 22nd, 2020
- Health and Wellness Predictions For 2021: Helen Lee Schifter - Taste Terminal - October 22nd, 2020
- Slimming World consultant inspired to lose weight after feeling like a failure to her class - Lincolnshire Live - October 21st, 2020
- #HealthBytes: Effective tips that can help you lose weight - NewsBytes - October 21st, 2020
- How does Slimming World work and how much is it to join? - The Irish Sun - October 21st, 2020
- 'Its literally the perfect knife': Dan Hong on the three most useful objects in his life - The Guardian - October 21st, 2020
- After losing 140 pounds, Saskatoon woman shocked to learn province won't cover skin-removal surgeries - CTV News Saskatoon - October 21st, 2020
- Weight Loss Tips: Nutritionist Tells What Actually Works For Losing Weight Effectively - NDTV - October 18th, 2020
- Using the Pandemic as an Opportunity to Lose Weight and Get in Shape - The New York Times - October 18th, 2020
- You Can Still Eat Dessert and Lose Weight Unless You're Making These 3 Mistakes - LIVESTRONG.COM - October 18th, 2020
- 7 tips from Mumbais best fitness trainers and nutritionists on how to lose weight - GQ India - October 18th, 2020
- KETO Diet: Is It Just Hype Or A New Way Of Life? - Greek City Times - October 18th, 2020
- Want to knock off 5kgs in a month? Try this - NewsBytes - October 18th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 270 Pounds and Got Jacked After a Seizure Gave Him a Serious Wake-up Call - menshealth.com - October 18th, 2020
- Is it safe to do intermittent fasting while breastfeeding? - TheHealthSite - October 18th, 2020
- Amy Duggar Claps Back at Troll Who Told Her to Have More Kids, Lose Weight - Us Weekly - October 18th, 2020
- How Often Should You Work Out? For Weight Loss and Muscle Gain - Greatist - October 18th, 2020
- The Arctic is on track to lose more ice this century than at any point since the end of the Ice Age. Photos show the dramatic melting. - Business... - October 18th, 2020
- Phillip Schofield's months of hell and secret torment - losing weight, vomiting and missing work - Mirror Online - October 18th, 2020
- This Clever Technique Will Help You Lose Weight and Stay Fit - Slate - October 13th, 2020
- Is The Keto Diet Good For PCOS? Benefits Of Low-Carb Diet For PCOS - Women's Health - October 13th, 2020
- Is keto a healthy way to lose weight? Everything to know about the divisive low-carb diet - The National - October 13th, 2020
- How to Lose Fat Without Losing Muscle, According to Experts - Greatist - October 13th, 2020
- On a weight loss diet? Here are two quick and healthy breakfast recipes to kickstart your metabolism - Times Now - October 13th, 2020
- 806 Health Tip: Consistency Is Key To Losing Weight - mix941kmxj.com - October 13th, 2020
- Be specific with your intentions - Stabroek News - October 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Signs your workout is actually making you gain more weight - Times of India - October 13th, 2020
- Kelly Osbourne shows off incredible 80-pound weight loss in skintight black jeans and low-cut top before - The Sun - October 13th, 2020
- AJ McLean's Body Transformation since Joining DWTS How Much Weight Has He Lost? - AmoMama - October 13th, 2020
- Scots mum claims she was fat-shamed by NHS weight loss leaflet just seven weeks after giving birth - Daily Record - October 13th, 2020
- Arthritis pain: Why weight loss helps; 3 ways to stay active and manage joint pain at home - Times Now - October 13th, 2020