Running is one of those sports you can pick up at any point, at any skill level and you won't even need any special gear either although some is recommended for added comfort, like decent running shoes, a good running watch and some running headphones wouldn't hurt either. If you want to get fit in 2020 and have been thinking about staring to run regularly, we'll give five reasons why you should start running and some tips on what to wear, too.
Running regularly has a range of benefits, including improved physical and mental health, but it can also make you sleep better and some studies suggest it can improve your memory, too. Whether the last statement is true or not, running certainly has more benefits than drawbacks, and if you embark on the journey of becoming a runner, you won't regret it, on the contrary.
Once you started running, you will see and feel the benefits of it very soon. It is easy for runners to lose weight fast, as detailed below, but on top of that, running can also help you maintain weight loss easier, unlike 'just' going on a diet, for example.
Read the below reasons if you need one last nudge to start running...
You can just go for a run at any point during the day, especially if you are not doing a tempo session. Saying that, stretching before and especially after your runs is recommended, to loosen up the muscles a bit. Get a foam roller or another massage tool, they are fairly inexpensive but work great nevertheless.
Also, after your runs, drink some water to replace the water that left your body through sweating. If you are going for longer runs anything around or over an hour take some water with you using a reusable water bottle. We don't want to further pollute the environment with single use plastics.
Eating right is also important when it comes to running and in general, too. Try not to eat anything half an hour prior to your run, but ideally leave an hour this. After your runs, especially if you went for a longer run, consider eating or drinking something with high protein content, let it be protein snacks, protein powder shake or just some nuts and fruit.
Running indoors or outdoors will improve your mood
(Image credit: Getty Images)
Everyone has heard of the runner's high, this feeling of euphoria that runners experience when they devour the miles. Exercising and running in particular releases endorphins in your body which will make you feel happier. Endorphins are natural pain relievers and its release in the body is an evolutionary response to different forms of stress, one of these being long-distance running.
If you haven't tried running before, don;t imagine runner's high as being under the influence of drugs. You won't find running easier because of it but you will have a feeling that you wouldn't mind doing it again, immediately after you finished running.
The more you run, the more often you will feel this and the more endorphin will be released in your body, making you a more balanced and happier person overall.
Join PureGym today | Low prices | Over 250 gyms across the UK | No contractThinking about joining the gym? PureGym has over 250 units all across the UK and you won't need a contact either when you sign up leave anytime if you change your mind. Students save even more on fixed term memberships: up to 30% off. Find your nearest gym by clicking on the button below.View Deal
Running will help you lose weight faster
(Image credit: Saucony)
Kind of an obvious one next: running being a cardio exercise can effectively help you lose weight fast(er). It's pretty simple, when you run, you spend a lot of energy moving your body forward, which burns more calories, which in turn will help you lose weight fast.
Of course, it will all go in vain if you will reward yourself after the running sessions with something unhealthy. A calorific reward system is the worst things you can do to yourself if you actually want to lose weight and be healthy. By saying "I ran for 30 minutes today, I deserve this pizza", you will effectively take in more calories than before and will actually gain weight as opposed to losing it.
For the best results, here is the formula you need to follow:
Losing weight fast = running regularly + consuming calories around maintenance level + using a non-calorific reward system
With this method, you will start losing weight very soon and will also improve your overall health in the same time. Don't try to swap having 2 pizzas for lunch and zero exercise for going running every day and eating leaf salad only. Be sensible and gradually change your lifestyle so it sticks.
Lose weight and keep it off with running
(Image credit: Getty Images)
There is a lesser known law called Wolfe's Law, which states that if you put your bones under stress, they will regenerate to be stronger in response to this stress. Running does in fact put pressure on your bones and therefore, by running regularly, your bones will get stronger, too.
This will only be true, however, if you improve your diet as well as go for regular runs. Poor diet and exercising can actually make your bones weaker and can also result in the loss of muscle mass. At the end of the day, you are what you eat and if you want a healthy body, you will have to feed it healthy foodstuff.
Avoid processed food especially fast food and introduce more fibrous items into your diet, especially vegetables. To clarify, you don't need to swap your whole diet to vegetables. What you can do, though, is to start logging your calories to see how much you eat, and then swap some of the bad calories to good ones.
In summary: running will improve your bone health, but only if you eat right and supply your body with the right nutrients.
Running can significantly improve your quality of life
(Image credit: Getty Images)
This, again, is one of the more well-known benefits of running. Running regularly will improve your heart-health as well as your circulation. What does this mean?
From the National Center for Biotechnology Information: "[Running] is a highly aerobic activity that utilises both fatty acids and carbohydrates for energy. The typical runner tends to have a slow resting pulse rate and a high maximal oxygen consumption. Echocardiographic studies show that distance runners' ... hearts are more efficient than those of sedentary people, pumping a larger volume per beat."
Running will change your body (in a good way) and especially your heart, and will make you more efficient with your energy expenditure overall. Your heart will become more resilient and you will be less prone to illnesses.
Running will make you sleep better
(Image credit: Getty Images)
Increased physical activity can improve your sleep quality significantly. It does this by tiring your body out more and also by reducing stress levels. This will make you sleep better and spend more time in deep sleep which will also make you less stressed overall.
As you can see, once you started the process, exercising regularly can have a snowball-effect on your health, let it be physical or mental. All it needs is a bit of a push and you to get moving. Once that's done, you will find more energy not just for running, but for other activities in your life too, which again will further improve your health, even in short term.
As mentioned above, you won't need an awful lot of gear to start running. That's not to say you wouldn't benefit from having the proper gear at your service on your jogs or runs.
If you are just starting out, you most likely won't need the best gear, so as much as the Garmin Forerunner 945 is a top running watch and the Hoka One One Carbon X is a great running shoe, you can opt in for less advanced gear and still reap the benefits of support.
(Image credit: New Balance)
Weighing just over 200 grams, the FuelCell Rebel is a lightweight shoe. It uses the Trace Fiber upper construction that uses precision stitching in key areas but keeps the upper thin and airy.
The main concern of the New Balance FuelCell Rebel is the forward propulsion; its main aim is to move you forward. The FuelCell midsole is a two-part rebound system that doesn't rock your feet but bounces you back up. It's not as firm and well rounded as the Asics Metaride or the Hoka One One Carbon X, more springy and bouncy.
(Image credit: Garmin)
Garmin's mid-range GPS running smartwatch, the Garmin Forerunner 245, uses the latest HR sensor technology the market leading company has to offer, as well as having integrated memory to store music, making it perfect for those smartphone-free running sessions. Battery life is also excellent, up to seven days in smartwatch mode, take that, Apple Watch!
(Image credit: Soundcore)
Without a doubt, the Soundcore Spirit X Sports wins on being the best value for money headphones for runners. For the price, you'll get a pair of sweatproof Bluetooth headphones with up to eight hours of listening time. Granted, the sound is not superior but definitely decent enough to deliver a bit more than just squeaky noise during your runs.
- Adele diet: Is this the food the Hello singer eats to maintain seven stone weight loss? - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Tom Kerridge weight loss how Lose Weight and Get Fit star shed 12st - The Sun - February 15th, 2020
- Olly Murs weight loss: Star used easy trick to shed 1st and blast belly fat in 12 weeks - Express - February 15th, 2020
- Honey Boo Boo Weight Loss: Did The Star Pull It Off? - Daily Hawker - February 15th, 2020
- How Mickey Jogoleff Lost 80 Pounds While Working Out Less and Eating More Carbs - BarBend - February 15th, 2020
- Breastfeeding girls mustn't eat these items, it might not hurt your child - Sahiwal Tv - February 15th, 2020
- Reduce weight the Ayurveda means - Health Writeups - February 15th, 2020
- Mum loses the equivalent of another 'person' in weight and reverses her diabetes - Bristol Post - February 15th, 2020
- The Healthiest Place on Earth - Thrive Global - February 15th, 2020
- Family fight to reunite with son left 5,000 miles away in Pakistan orphanage - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Outdoors: Keeping warm during the second month - Fall River Herald News - February 15th, 2020
- Scientific BREAKTHROUGH: DNA discovery finds some in 60s have genetic age of 20-YEAR-OLD - Express.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- Healthcare boost addresses ageing population in Sri Lanka - Indian NewsLink - February 15th, 2020
- Yep, Its TrueStaying Positive Can Actually Help You Maintain Weight Loss - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 15th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Fast - Quick & Easy Weight Loss Tips - February 15th, 2020
- Jessica Simpson's Nutritionist Shares the Diet That Helped Her Lose 100 Pounds - NewBeauty Magazine - February 15th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week Here's Why - POPSUGAR - February 15th, 2020
- How Did Adele Lose Weight? Secrets To The Singer's Stunning Transformation - YourTango - February 15th, 2020
- NBA Rumors: Zion Williamson Longevity Comes First, Losing Weight Strongly Urged - International Business Times - February 15th, 2020
- The Biggest Loser didn't work then and it won't work now - The Aggie - February 15th, 2020
- 8 warning signs of health problems and how you can help aging parents - Cape Cod Times - February 15th, 2020
- New smoothie bar offers healthy option in Waunakee - hngnews.com - February 15th, 2020
- Frankie Bridge feared husband happier without her during depression - Metro.co.uk - February 15th, 2020
- WARMC rocking the red to bring attention to Heart Month - Mohave Valley News - February 15th, 2020
- Audrey named Slimming World Woman of the Year and given the all-clear from cancer - Daily Record - February 15th, 2020
- Weight loss tips: How to lose weight & get fit by running daily, according to this guy who lost 13 kg - GQ India - February 15th, 2020
- Mother of twins vows to get herself back with Strive to Thrive - Richland Source - February 15th, 2020
- Friends & Family | News, Sports, Jobs - The Review - February 15th, 2020
- What is ischemic heart disease? Symptoms and treatment options - Insider - INSIDER - February 15th, 2020
- A liquid diet for weight loss: Is it effective and sustainable? - Times Now - February 15th, 2020
- Astonishing twist as woman 'ready to die' finds out reason behind her tumour - Yahoo News Australia - February 15th, 2020
- Half of U.S. adults want to lose weight in 2020 - Food Business News - February 12th, 2020
- Half of U.S. Adults Want To Lose Weight And Over A Quarter Follow A Diet Plan To Do It - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- If You Want to Lose Weight, Try Strength Training at Least 3 Times a Week - Here's Why - msnNOW - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss: New cookie diet is taking Instagram by storm but does it really work? - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 17 kilos to fit into the clothes of my choice and it completely changed my lif - Times of India - February 12th, 2020
- Dietitian explains pros and cons of keto diet - KMVT - February 12th, 2020
- Why do I always feel hungry? Why you eat even when you're full and how to stop - TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Bariatric surgeon tells us why we eat too much - The Bay's News First - SunLive - February 12th, 2020
- What Causes The 'Dadbod' (And How To Reverse It) - Lifehacker Australia - February 12th, 2020
- Health Benefits of Salmon Nutrition and Why You Should Eat More Salmon Protein - LIVESTRONG.COM - February 12th, 2020
- Familia's Weight Loss Won't Be What Leads to His Success - metsmerizedonline.com - February 12th, 2020
- Testosterone pellets gaining popularity as hormone therapy in Southeast Texas - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - February 12th, 2020
- How to read the FDA's new nutrition facts label - CNET - February 12th, 2020
- I lost more than 70kgs in three years - Were - Daily Monitor - February 12th, 2020
- I looked pregnant with triplets but then docs found giant tumour half-a-metre wide - The Sun - February 12th, 2020
- Nicola Watters made it to the semi-finals of a national Slimming World competition - The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Vanessa Feltz shows off weight loss at Paddington premiere after losing more than three stone - The Sun - February 9th, 2020
- Weight-loss surgery tied to lowered risk of colorectal cancer - WHBL News - February 9th, 2020
- Is milk helpful in gaining weight? - Times of India - February 9th, 2020
- Pictures bomb! They appear and belong to Ana de Armas before losing weight and in a bikini! - Play Crazy Game - February 9th, 2020
- Mum's amazing transformation after shedding half her body weight in just a year - Stoke-on-Trent Live - February 9th, 2020
- 'Losing 7.5 stone has made me a new man' - Councillor from Fulwood tells of a pivotal year shedding weight - Lancashire Post - February 9th, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting A Trendy New Way To Diet, But Researchers Say More Studies Need To Be Done - CBS Pittsburgh - February 8th, 2020
- The Truth About Losing Weight With Weed - VICE - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight and keep it off in a healthy, effective way - Insider - INSIDER - February 8th, 2020
- Health experts weigh in on cutting weight for sports - WTOL - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss story: This teacher lost more than 20 kilos in just 6 months! Heres how she did it - Times of India - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose weight on a budget 5 simple tips to help shed the pounds without spending them - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- You CAN eat pizza and lose weight, expert says the 8 best options from Wetherspoons to Dominos if youre on - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Scientific weight loss study by CSIRO reveals key to losing weight and keeping it off - Have a Go News - February 8th, 2020
- How Running Helped This Guy Get Sober and Drop 50 Pounds - Men's Health - February 8th, 2020
- Is cardio the best way to lose weight? Personal trainers bust the myth - Irish Examiner - February 8th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Travis works hard to lose weight to fulfill his goal of giving his wife a real wedding - MEAWW - February 8th, 2020
- Weight loss: Increasing this one thing is the key to burning belly fat, says expert - Express - February 8th, 2020
- Desperate bridesmaid asks how to lose 1.5st just weeks before the wedding because its too late to get a d - The Sun - February 8th, 2020
- Obese man mocked and 'judged' in McDonald's loses half his body weight - Liverpool Echo - February 8th, 2020
- Hamilton gran who struggled to put on her own socks loses over five stone - Daily Record - February 8th, 2020
- VA Department and Virta Health Focus On Reversing Diabetes with Keto Diet - Myhealthyclick - February 8th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about the keto diet - ABC Local - February 8th, 2020
- Make the Lose Weight and Get Fit Chicken pancakes: Tom Kerridge reinvents a favourite! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - February 8th, 2020
- How to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, according to experts - Health24 - February 8th, 2020
- How one woman used intermittent fasting to lose 80 pounds in a year - NBC News - January 29th, 2020
- Study reveals the best diet for actually losing weight and keeping it off - Ladders - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: Dont bother with the gym and keep your diet simple 6 tips to burn fat faster - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- How to Lose Weight Ways to Shed Fat for Performance and Aesthetics - BOXROX - January 29th, 2020
- Erica Lugo's Personal Weight-Loss Journey Makes Her One of the Most Relatable Trainers - msnNOW - January 29th, 2020
- Weight loss: My controlling boyfriend asked me to STOP slimming as it made him insecure so I dumped him & l - The Sun - January 29th, 2020
- 'I Counted My Macros On Keto And Got Into Low-Impact HIITAnd I Lost 141 Pounds' - Women's Health - January 29th, 2020
- New year's resolution workout routines don't have to be scary | News, Sports, Jobs - Lewistown Sentinel - January 29th, 2020