Running is one of those sports you can pick up at any point, at any skill level and you won't even need any special gear either although some is recommended for added comfort, like decent running shoes, a good running watch and some running headphones wouldn't hurt either. If you want to get fit in 2020 and have been thinking about staring to run regularly, we'll give five reasons why you should start running and some tips on what to wear, too.
Running regularly has a range of benefits, including improved physical and mental health, but it can also make you sleep better and some studies suggest it can improve your memory, too. Whether the last statement is true or not, running certainly has more benefits than drawbacks, and if you embark on the journey of becoming a runner, you won't regret it, on the contrary.
Once you started running, you will see and feel the benefits of it very soon. It is easy for runners to lose weight fast, as detailed below, but on top of that, running can also help you maintain weight loss easier, unlike 'just' going on a diet, for example.
Read the below reasons if you need one last nudge to start running...
You can just go for a run at any point during the day, especially if you are not doing a tempo session. Saying that, stretching before and especially after your runs is recommended, to loosen up the muscles a bit. Get a foam roller or another massage tool, they are fairly inexpensive but work great nevertheless.
Also, after your runs, drink some water to replace the water that left your body through sweating. If you are going for longer runs anything around or over an hour take some water with you using a reusable water bottle. We don't want to further pollute the environment with single use plastics.
Eating right is also important when it comes to running and in general, too. Try not to eat anything half an hour prior to your run, but ideally leave an hour this. After your runs, especially if you went for a longer run, consider eating or drinking something with high protein content, let it be protein snacks, protein powder shake or just some nuts and fruit.
Running indoors or outdoors will improve your mood
(Image credit: Getty Images)
Everyone has heard of the runner's high, this feeling of euphoria that runners experience when they devour the miles. Exercising and running in particular releases endorphins in your body which will make you feel happier. Endorphins are natural pain relievers and its release in the body is an evolutionary response to different forms of stress, one of these being long-distance running.
If you haven't tried running before, don;t imagine runner's high as being under the influence of drugs. You won't find running easier because of it but you will have a feeling that you wouldn't mind doing it again, immediately after you finished running.
The more you run, the more often you will feel this and the more endorphin will be released in your body, making you a more balanced and happier person overall.
Join PureGym today | Low prices | Over 250 gyms across the UK | No contractThinking about joining the gym? PureGym has over 250 units all across the UK and you won't need a contact either when you sign up leave anytime if you change your mind. Students save even more on fixed term memberships: up to 30% off. Find your nearest gym by clicking on the button below.View Deal
Running will help you lose weight faster
(Image credit: Saucony)
Kind of an obvious one next: running being a cardio exercise can effectively help you lose weight fast(er). It's pretty simple, when you run, you spend a lot of energy moving your body forward, which burns more calories, which in turn will help you lose weight fast.
Of course, it will all go in vain if you will reward yourself after the running sessions with something unhealthy. A calorific reward system is the worst things you can do to yourself if you actually want to lose weight and be healthy. By saying "I ran for 30 minutes today, I deserve this pizza", you will effectively take in more calories than before and will actually gain weight as opposed to losing it.
For the best results, here is the formula you need to follow:
Losing weight fast = running regularly + consuming calories around maintenance level + using a non-calorific reward system
With this method, you will start losing weight very soon and will also improve your overall health in the same time. Don't try to swap having 2 pizzas for lunch and zero exercise for going running every day and eating leaf salad only. Be sensible and gradually change your lifestyle so it sticks.
Lose weight and keep it off with running
(Image credit: Getty Images)
There is a lesser known law called Wolfe's Law, which states that if you put your bones under stress, they will regenerate to be stronger in response to this stress. Running does in fact put pressure on your bones and therefore, by running regularly, your bones will get stronger, too.
This will only be true, however, if you improve your diet as well as go for regular runs. Poor diet and exercising can actually make your bones weaker and can also result in the loss of muscle mass. At the end of the day, you are what you eat and if you want a healthy body, you will have to feed it healthy foodstuff.
Avoid processed food especially fast food and introduce more fibrous items into your diet, especially vegetables. To clarify, you don't need to swap your whole diet to vegetables. What you can do, though, is to start logging your calories to see how much you eat, and then swap some of the bad calories to good ones.
In summary: running will improve your bone health, but only if you eat right and supply your body with the right nutrients.
Running can significantly improve your quality of life
(Image credit: Getty Images)
This, again, is one of the more well-known benefits of running. Running regularly will improve your heart-health as well as your circulation. What does this mean?
From the National Center for Biotechnology Information: "[Running] is a highly aerobic activity that utilises both fatty acids and carbohydrates for energy. The typical runner tends to have a slow resting pulse rate and a high maximal oxygen consumption. Echocardiographic studies show that distance runners' ... hearts are more efficient than those of sedentary people, pumping a larger volume per beat."
Running will change your body (in a good way) and especially your heart, and will make you more efficient with your energy expenditure overall. Your heart will become more resilient and you will be less prone to illnesses.
Running will make you sleep better
(Image credit: Getty Images)
Increased physical activity can improve your sleep quality significantly. It does this by tiring your body out more and also by reducing stress levels. This will make you sleep better and spend more time in deep sleep which will also make you less stressed overall.
As you can see, once you started the process, exercising regularly can have a snowball-effect on your health, let it be physical or mental. All it needs is a bit of a push and you to get moving. Once that's done, you will find more energy not just for running, but for other activities in your life too, which again will further improve your health, even in short term.
As mentioned above, you won't need an awful lot of gear to start running. That's not to say you wouldn't benefit from having the proper gear at your service on your jogs or runs.
If you are just starting out, you most likely won't need the best gear, so as much as the Garmin Forerunner 945 is a top running watch and the Hoka One One Carbon X is a great running shoe, you can opt in for less advanced gear and still reap the benefits of support.
(Image credit: New Balance)
Weighing just over 200 grams, the FuelCell Rebel is a lightweight shoe. It uses the Trace Fiber upper construction that uses precision stitching in key areas but keeps the upper thin and airy.
The main concern of the New Balance FuelCell Rebel is the forward propulsion; its main aim is to move you forward. The FuelCell midsole is a two-part rebound system that doesn't rock your feet but bounces you back up. It's not as firm and well rounded as the Asics Metaride or the Hoka One One Carbon X, more springy and bouncy.
(Image credit: Garmin)
Garmin's mid-range GPS running smartwatch, the Garmin Forerunner 245, uses the latest HR sensor technology the market leading company has to offer, as well as having integrated memory to store music, making it perfect for those smartphone-free running sessions. Battery life is also excellent, up to seven days in smartwatch mode, take that, Apple Watch!
(Image credit: Soundcore)
Without a doubt, the Soundcore Spirit X Sports wins on being the best value for money headphones for runners. For the price, you'll get a pair of sweatproof Bluetooth headphones with up to eight hours of listening time. Granted, the sound is not superior but definitely decent enough to deliver a bit more than just squeaky noise during your runs.
- Weight Loss Transformation Heather Gomez Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - September 25th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Exercise (Other Than Weight-Loss) Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 25th, 2020
- Eating Healthy Is More Important Than Weight Loss for Heart Health - Healthline - September 25th, 2020
- HIIT along with rowing and cycling can help type 2 d..etes patients lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity - Firstpost - September 25th, 2020
- 14 Simple And Effective Tips To Lose Weight After Pregnancy - Yahoo India News - September 25th, 2020
- The 3 Most Common Things People Get Wrong About Weight Loss, and How to Avoid Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 25th, 2020
- Why its hard to lose weight when you have PCOS - All4Women - September 25th, 2020
- Weight loss customized for the one-and-only YOU - KING5.com - September 25th, 2020
- What is diabetes? A comprehensive guide to lower blood sugar and manage the condition - Insider - INSIDER - September 25th, 2020
- RHONJs Margaret Josephs shows off amazing weight loss in skintight white lace dress at the beach with h - The Sun - September 25th, 2020
- World's most obese man shed nearly 400 kilos, went on to beat Covid-19 - Mexico News Daily - September 25th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in a skintight gown on Monte Carlo getaway with boyfriend Jacob - The Irish Sun - September 25th, 2020
- Stroud chef: from 26 stone to Cotswold 113 half Ironman - Stroud News and Journal - September 25th, 2020
- Having a Seizure Inspired Rick Ross' Weight Loss Transformation - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: I lost 14 kilos in just 2.5 months with my husbands support! - Times of India - September 20th, 2020
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: 5 Side Effects That Signal You Need To Quit This Diet Instantly - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Carbs Or Calories: What Should You Focus On For Weight Loss? Experts Reveal - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- How Long Does It Really Take to Lose Belly Fluff? - Greatist - September 20th, 2020
- Phil Mickelson reveals the 2 secrets behind his weight loss transformation - Golf.com - September 20th, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Once Got Candid about Weight-Loss Tips Photos before & after Her Transformation - AmoMama - September 20th, 2020
- 5 lifestyle habits that are increasing your numbers on the weighing scale - TheHealthSite - September 20th, 2020
- 'I Did An F45 Training Challenge Ahead Of My Wedding And Got In The Best Shape Of My Life' - Women's Health - September 20th, 2020
- Holly Madison, 'Girls Next Door' Star, Shows off Dramatic Transformation 4 Years After Giving Birth to Second Child - PopCulture.com - September 20th, 2020
- Which Aids Better In Weight Loss- Fish Or Chicken? Expert Reveals - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- 22 effective tips to lose belly fat, according to experts - Netdoctor - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Metabolism boosting teas to aid you in shedding extra pounds - PINKVILLA - September 20th, 2020
- Coping with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic - KENS5.com - September 20th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Pumpkin, 20, shows off slimmer waist in crop top after vowing to lose weight - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- She has overcome anorexia - and dancer has now warned of government's 'dangerous' plan to tackle obesity - Manchester Evening News - September 20th, 2020
- A new routine to lose the Covid stone - Leitrim Observer - September 20th, 2020
- Want to get big arms and improve grip? This 3-move kettlebell arm workout is what you need - T3 - September 20th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: how long, how many steps a day, at what pace ... All you need to know - POP TIMES UK - September 12th, 2020
- What is the CICO diet? All about the calories-in-calories-out diet - TODAY - September 12th, 2020
- Psoriatic Arthritis-Friendly Weight Loss Tips - Everyday Health - September 12th, 2020
- He wanted to join the US Army but wasn't fit. So he lost over 100 pounds. - yoursun.com - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss: The War on Fat | ITV News - ITV News - September 12th, 2020
- Weight loss is key to type 2 diabetes prevention and reversal - Diabetes.co.uk - September 12th, 2020
- Five ways to reduce the calories in your favourite takeaway meal - MyLondon - September 12th, 2020
- Go Kyung Pyo explains the reason for his dramatic weight difference in two photos - allkpop - September 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: The 55p item that may lower risk of early death from cancer - Express - September 12th, 2020
- I Had a Heart Attack at 49, Went Vegan, and It Saved my Life - The Beet - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How High Knees Exercise Can Help You Lose Body Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 12th, 2020
- Veteran-Owned Battle Bars Honor Local Patriot Heroes with Every Purchase - Small Business Trends - September 12th, 2020
- Longbenton grandmother drops eight dress sizes after 'hating' what she saw in photos - Chronicle Live - September 12th, 2020
- At 82, My Grandmother Has Lost Her Husband And The World As She Knows It - BuzzFeed News - September 12th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here are 6 Proteins to Enjoy and 3 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Nutrisystem Launches Innovative Partner Plan to Encourage and Help Maintain Weight Loss - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2020
- Losing Weight as a Couple Is the Secret to Shedding Pounds, Study Finds - Best Life - September 8th, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston was asked to lose weight if she wanted to stay on Friends - The News International - September 8th, 2020
- Piers Morgan says he needs to be 'shamed' into losing weight as he defends Kevin Pieterson's comments - Evening Standard - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer: The fermented vegetable proven to reduce risk of early death - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Long Beach Poly's Ashton Sylve Wins Professional Boxing Debut - The562.org - September 8th, 2020
- How metformin works and why it's effective for type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- The 18 Unhealthiest Breads on the Planet - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- Consumers Turn to Plant-Based Foods During the Pandemic - The Beet - September 8th, 2020
- Mikey Moon's health and fitness column: 'Miracles' too good to be true - Blackpool Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Why sleep is so important for losing weight - The Conversation UK - September 5th, 2020
- How to lose weight: 71-year-old loses 62 pounds in 6 months - TODAY - September 5th, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: 2 nutritionists share the ideal Indian diet plan to lose weight - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Losing weight with detox teas - Popular choices, health benefits and side effects - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- My Mother-in-Law Told My 12-Year Old to Lose Weight and Fix Her Face - Slate - September 5th, 2020
- 5 Easy Ways to Detox in the Morning to Be Healthier All Day Long - The Beet - September 5th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week: Coconut oil can help you lose weight, build immunity and also get great skin... - Hindustan Times - September 5th, 2020
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy weight. Here's how - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Redditch councillor hoping his weight loss will also be his gain - Redditch Standard - September 5th, 2020
- Prairie Fare: Have You Avoided the 'Pandemic 15'? - Pierce County Tribune - September 5th, 2020
- After losing Brandon Williams, here's what the Arizona Wildcats' 2021 roster looks like - Arizona Daily Star - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How Spiderman Plank Exercise Can Help You Lose Belly Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 5th, 2020
- North-east care home given a month to make improvements after inspectors find residents are losing weight and at increased risk of falling - Press and... - September 5th, 2020
- RLC Labs, Inc., Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid with Current Expiry Due to Sub Potency - FDA.gov - September 5th, 2020
- Woman who lost four stone to get healthy found out she had a rare form of cancer - Belfast Live - September 5th, 2020
- I thought battling an eating disorder during an election year was tough. I had no idea how grueling recovery during a pandemic would be - CNN - September 5th, 2020
- Some of the worst nursing homes in the country are waitlisted for extra oversight - WKYT - September 5th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman Gave 'Thoughtful Response' About Weight Loss Without Revealing Cancer Battle - International Business Times - September 3rd, 2020
- Heres how can you eat carbs and still lose weight - PINKVILLA - September 3rd, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in sexy $1,700 Gucci dress - The Sun - September 3rd, 2020
- Size 22 woman told she was too fat to conceive now has two kids - Metro.co.uk - September 3rd, 2020
- Secret weapon for dieters: Consuming your own fecal microbiome may help keep off the pounds - Study Finds - September 3rd, 2020
- You've heard of dieting, but what about reverse dieting? - The Independent - September 3rd, 2020
- The danger of obesity and coronavirus - centraljersey.com - September 3rd, 2020