Max Lowery, 27, recently told us why he would never touch a protein shake, even if you paid him.
Now, the stockbroker turned personal trainer and founder of the 2-Meal Day diet wants to iron out some more common fitness misconceptions that could be making your workout less effective.
It's possibly controversial, but Lowery insists that static stretching before a workout can do more harm than good and make your muscles less efficient for your workout.
Static stretches should be done at the end of your workout, when your muscles are already warm, while your warm-up ideally should consist of dynamic movements, activation, and mobility.
Below is an example of one of Lowery's favourite dynamic warm-ups, which he said is ideal for kicking off your workout. He says he always warms up for 25 minutes before a hardcore session.
"This mentality can lead to all sorts of problems," he said. "People don't realise that in order for your body to adapt to any exercise stimulus you need to have adequate recovery."
Your rest days are just important as your training days, according to Lowery, especially if you are doing high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, which challenges the nervous system.
This can end up stressing your body out even more, which can lead to weight gain, insomnia, and damage to the immune system, he said.
Lowery recommends three to four good sessions in the gym a week.
"This is more than enough," he said. "All the while, you should be walking, moving, stretching as much as possible."
"The No. 1 factor in losing weight is your diet," Lowery said. This is something several high-profile personal trainers have echoed, including Justin Gelband, who trains Victoria's Secret models. He told Business Insider that "85% percent of what you do is what you eat."
Lowery added: "That being said, exercise should be used to complement a good diet. Cardio (aerobic exercise) is great for health reasons, and you will burn calories while doing it. But your biggest concern when you're trying to lose weight is muscle loss."
He said that if you lost fat and muscle along with it, you would make it harder to keep the weight off in the long run. That's because the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is.
Instead, he says anaerobic activities, such as weight training and sprinting, are the most effective for building lean muscle mass, which will increase your metabolism and decrease fat.
Yes, you heard right: Countless stomach crunches won't necessarily get you ripped, according to Lowery.
"The biggest factor in getting a six-pack is having a low-enough body-fat percentage so that you can actually see your abs," he said. "Everyone has abdominal muscles, but if you have a layer of fat above them, you will never see them."
Lowery's theory is backed up by science. A recent study found that it's not possible to target specific areas of the body for fat loss.
In an experiment with two groups of adults, while one group did targeted ab exercises five days a week for six weeks, the other focused on keeping a balanced "isocaloric diet." The researchers found that the crunches alone did not have a significant impact on abdominal fat or other measures of body composition.
"The only way to decrease body fat is to make changes to your diet," Lowery said. "Once your body-fat percentage is low enough, whilst crunches and sit-ups may serve a purpose for activating your abdominal region, they are not very good for hypertrophy."
To build your abdominal muscles, you must train them the same way you would any other muscle. Start to add some weight into the mix, and use compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and pull-ups that take a lot of abdominal activation.
Here's one of Lowery's "ab activation" sequences:
With the huge rise in popularity of HIIT classes, particularly in London, many have adopted the mindset that a workout is useless unless you feel "destroyed" at the end.
But Lowery is among numerous personal trainers who have concerns about the short- and long-term effects on people who are not used to such high-intensity training -- particularly those who sit at a desk all day -- overexerting themselves at the gym.
Potential side effects from overtraining include weight gain, insomnia, and illness.
"There's a time and a place for pushing yourself really hard in a workout, but issues can arise when this happens in every session," Lowery said. "Sometimes your body will react badly to extra stress -- if you haven't slept enough the night before, if you haven't eaten the right food all day, or if you are generally feeling stressed out at work.
"For the days where you don't feel 100%, you should do something much less strenuous -- a brisk walk, a slow jog, swimming, or a stretching session would be much more beneficial, and it would mean you're less likely to overtrain."
This post originally appeared on Business Insider.
Originally posted here:
5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com
- Alison Hammond weight loss: How did she slim down? This Morning star followed this plan - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Weight-loss tips that go beyond the 'eat less, exercise hard' formula - The National - December 9th, 2019
- The man who unlocked the world's secret to living to age 100 says you can skip the gym - INSIDER - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: How this woman lost 11 kilos and beat PCOD without going to the gym! - Times of India - December 9th, 2019
- Ex-Vegan Influencer Plans On Eating Mostly Meat From Here On Out - Refinery29 - December 9th, 2019
- I'm fit and healthy. Do I really need to take multivitamins? - Rappler - December 9th, 2019
- How Fans Are Handling Their Favorite Influencer Going From Vegan To An All-Carnivore Diet - BuzzFeed News - December 9th, 2019
- Singer and Talk Show Host Syleena Johnson Shed Over 50 Pounds For a Fitness Competition - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 9th, 2019
- We Can Train Our Brain to do Just About Anything, So Do Not Forget to Exercise, Take the Test! - Live Trading News - December 9th, 2019
- Best weight loss: Eating more of this food can help you slim - what is it? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Is the vilification of NZ's meat and dairy justified? - Noted - December 9th, 2019
- Princess Beatrice used this plan to slim - will she follow a diet for royal wedding? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Cholesterol Should Be On Everyone's Radar Can You Control It? | HuffPost Life - HuffPost UK - December 9th, 2019
- Column: Water restriction is the key to treating too-low salt levels - SouthCoastToday.com - December 9th, 2019
- Beware of supplements and botanicals: Consumer Reports - WSYR - December 9th, 2019
- How Intuitive Eating Works, and How to Get Started - LIVESTRONG.COM - December 9th, 2019
- Ask Jillian Michaels: I recently gave birth to my first child how do I lose the baby weight and get back in shape? - Business Insider - December 9th, 2019
- Seventy Nine Per Cent Of People Have A "Heart Age" Higher Than Their Biological Age - Men's Health - December 9th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best carbs to eat to shed pounds based on your body type - The Sun - December 9th, 2019
- Robbie Williams weight loss: Gave up one thing to slim down and shed fat - what was it? - Express - December 9th, 2019
- Aerobic exercise, improved diet could slow memory problems in nursing home residents - News - McKnight's Long Term Care News - December 2nd, 2019
- Diet, Exercise, and Apologize to Your Sister: A Prescription for Long-Term Health - Tennessee Today - December 2nd, 2019
- Susanna Reid weight loss: GMB host cut one thing from diet plan to shed 1st 7lb - Express - December 2nd, 2019
- Back pain remedies: Exercise, diet, and numerous other ways to prevent back pain - Republic World - Republic World - December 2nd, 2019
- Donald Trump Challenged to Go Vegan in January for $1 Million Donation to Veterans - Newsweek - December 2nd, 2019
- UNC athletes find allies in effort to avoid eating disorder risks - The Daily Tar Heel - December 2nd, 2019
- How to live 40 percent longer | Health - Williston Daily Herald - December 2nd, 2019
- What is Diet Culture and 4 Steps to Navigate It - Thrive Global - December 2nd, 2019
- Midlife Fitness Files: Michael Mosley on creating the 5:2 diet and reversing his diabetes - Telegraph.co.uk - December 2nd, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat: Best Exercise To Have Fantastic Abs - International Business Times - December 2nd, 2019
- The Power of Point of Care in the Marketing Channel - DTC Perspectives Magazine - December 2nd, 2019
- Thought for Food: Walter Willett on Diet for Personal and Planetary Health - The Good Men Project - December 2nd, 2019
- Can Green Coffee Really Help You Lose Weight? Find The Answer Here - NDTV News - December 2nd, 2019
- $1 Million Offer to President Trump: Go Vegan for January and the Veterans Will Receive $1M - VEGWORLD Magazine - December 1st, 2019
- Medical News Today: Possible reasons weight loss is not working - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Grueling gym routines, restrictive diets, and no dating: K-pop stars tell us about the dark side of their industry - Business Insider - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants being thrown under the bus - Peace Arch News - December 1st, 2019
- Excessive hygiene: Can this be a bad thing? - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- How to live longer: This type of exercise could increase life expectancy - Express - December 1st, 2019
- Michelle McManus weight loss: Singer used this diet plan to shed impressive 10 stone - Express.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- How to lose weight in 6 months like this guy who lost 18 kgs without hiring a personal trainer or a dietician - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 1st, 2019
- Learn to say 'no' as well as ho-ho this holiday season - theday.com - December 1st, 2019
- Serena Williams Cheats on Her Diet in a Truly Indulgent Way - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 1st, 2019
- The Eating And Exercise Habits Behind Elsa Pataky's Seriously Strong Physique - Women's Health - December 1st, 2019
- Exercise will help you lose belly fat, but do away with associated myths first - TheHealthSite - December 1st, 2019
- Jamie Oliver weight loss: TV chef ditched one food to shed an astounding two stone - Express.co.uk - December 1st, 2019
- High blood pressure: Add this green fruit to your breakfast to lower your reading - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How to master intuitive eating during the toughest time of the year - Inverse - December 1st, 2019
- How to recover from Thanksgiving - KRON4 - December 1st, 2019
- Mike Sorrentino Shocked Family With His Post-Prison Weight Loss - Screen Rant - December 1st, 2019
- Chichester ranks in second place in a survey to find the healthiest town - Chichester Observer - December 1st, 2019
- Weight Loss With Swimming: THIS is why swimming is the BEST weight loss exercise - PINKVILLA - December 1st, 2019
- LETTERS: Cardio program participants 'being thrown under the bus' - BCLocalNews - December 1st, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Include this 55p food in your diet to lower your blood sugar - Express - December 1st, 2019
- How one woman lost 95 pounds and still got her Taco Bell fix - NBC News - December 1st, 2019
- 4 Ways to Improve Your Circulation - South Florida Reporter - December 1st, 2019
- Miranda Lambert Gets Candid About Struggling With Ups and Downs in Weight - countryliving.com - November 29th, 2019
- 'The Bachelor': Cassie Randolph Reveals Her Skincare, Diet, and Workout Routine - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 29th, 2019
- Heart-Healthy Diet May Improve Brain And Memory Functioning; Study - NDTV Food - November 29th, 2019
- 10 Most Expensive Diets Only Celebrities Can Afford | TheRichest - TheRichest - November 29th, 2019
- High blood pressure in the morning: What does it mean? - Medical News Today - November 29th, 2019
- How to lose weight according to a doctor who lost 53 kgs by following this systematic approach to weight loss - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 29th, 2019
- Fitness column: Put stretching in its proper place to tackle workout priorities - Edmonton Journal - November 29th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: Eating this tasty treat could help lower blood sugar - Express - November 29th, 2019
- Now is the Time for Black Men to Get Serious about Their Health - Milwaukee Courier Weekly Newspaper - November 29th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Taking this supplement could help lower your reading - Express - November 29th, 2019
- The keto diet: what to know about the extreme diet phenomenon - Vox.com - November 27th, 2019
- Lorraine Kelly weight loss: ITV star drops two dress sizes by cutting out one thing - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Fear of dementia overtakes cancer for older Australians, as new study looks at lifestyle and diet options - ABC News - November 27th, 2019
- Conor McGregor Cheats on His Diet in the Best Way Possible - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - November 27th, 2019
- Gut microbes may predict whether exercising will prevent diabetes - New Scientist News - November 27th, 2019
- My journey to ditch the fad diets and lower my stress this is what worked - NBC News - November 27th, 2019
- Michigan Veteran Runs 22 Hours to Support Others Living with PTSD - runnersworld.com - November 27th, 2019
- Best Exercise for Diabetes: THESE workouts with medication and a healthy diet can help you to fight diabetes - PINKVILLA - November 27th, 2019
- Importance of early detection for colorectal cancer - WANE - November 27th, 2019
- Mike 'The Situation' Sorrentino's Family Was 'Shocked' When They Saw His Prison Weight Loss - PEOPLE.com - November 27th, 2019
- How to live longer: Eating this sweet snack could increase life expectancy - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Plant-Based Diet Linked to Improved Cognitive Health - One Green Planet - November 27th, 2019
- How to live longer: This type of exercise found to be best for increasing life expectancy - Express - November 27th, 2019
- Carthage hospital offers information and a free dinner - NNY360 - November 27th, 2019