With spring just a few days away, many of us are thinking about sunny days at the beach or park, picnics and long lunches with friends. When the days get warmer and longer, we also begin to spring clean -- whether it's our wardrobe, home, life or diet.
If you've spent most of winter hibernating, snuggled up at home like a big toasty cinnamon bun (and eating them), don't worry. You don't have to overhaul your diet or lifestyle in one go -- it's all about making small changes.
"Every small change makes a difference," Zoe Bingley-Pullin, nutritionist, celebrity chef and founder of the Falling in Love with Food Program, told HuffPost Australia.
"You do not need to completely overhaul your diet and exercise routine all at once. Instead, slowly make day-to-day changes which assist in getting you back on track, whether it be more vegetables at dinner, a daily vegetable juice, or adding in an extra walk before dinner.
"Avoid overwhelming yourself and work with your body, not against."
InnaKalyuzhina via Getty Images Make a plan and set achievable goals.
The key to making positive changes and forming healthy habits is to make a plan. And to just start.
"Before embarking on breaking a habit, sit with yourself and jot down the reasons 'why' and refer to it when motivation is lacking. This will help reignite your drive," Bingley-Pullin said.
"Having more than 'intent' to break a habit is necessary to permanently change a habit. It's like the saying goes: practice makes perfect. To change, there needs to be a plan in place which is practised daily. To set an intention to change something, we need to know why we want to change it and why we want something else."
While fad diets and juice cleanses which promise quick weight-loss results are enticing, 'quick fixes' won't actually work in the long run.
"Don't restrict your diet and cut out whole food groups in an attempt to rapidly lose weight," Bingley-Pullin said. "Such weight loss is not sustainable and only causes damage to the body and mind."
While regular exercise is incredibly important, Bingley-Pullin recommends not engaging in excessive exercise, which can lead to burning out.
"Rest allows for repair and is necessary to benefit fitness and health in the long run," she said.
"Try not to expect results overnight. Each time we attempt to lose weight the process can be more difficult than the last. Healthy weight loss takes time, and knowing this from the start helps erase unrealistic expectations which can cause a loss of motivation."
Here are five easy ways to spring clean your diet.
With spring and summer comes beautiful, fresh produce like mango, blueberries, raspberries, melons, stone fruit, artichokes, peas and rhubarb. To help bring a variety of nutrients, flavours and colours into your diet, eat in season.
"Eating in season is a great way to increase diet diversity and get more nutrition from food," Bingley-Pullin said.
"Visit the farmers' markets and talk to farmers about what's in season, or download a 'what's in season' guide or app and take to supermarket."
At the end of a day, it's hard to look back and picture all the things you ate and why you ate them. To help identify food triggers, such as stress or sadness, keep a food diary for a few weeks and note what you eat.
"Reviewing this diary can tell a wealth of information, including which meals are lacking and therefore leading to overeating, or times when boredom eating commonly strikes," Bingley-Pullin said.
"Upon reflecting on the diary, start making the necessary changes to support a steady appetite and improve energy levels.
"Get to know your body and want it needs to feel its best. Once you learn how to eat right for you in a balanced way, any stress around food is usually resolved. Then, any desire to stray from this routine won't seem as appealing."
As vegetables are high in nutrients and low in energy, they're perfect for filling up on and helping your body function optimally.
"Boost intake of vegetables, especially if intake has been low over winter," Bingley-Pullin said. "Aim for half a plate of vegetables at each meal and start the day with a small vegetable juice."
Fibre helps to keep us feel full for longer, and, importantly, supports a healthy gut, which is connected to a host of things like mood and weight. Fortunately, it's incredibly easy to increase our fibre intake.
"Fibre is critical for a healthy digestive system," Bingley-Pullin said "Try oats with chia seeds for breakfast, add flaxseeds to smoothies, snack on fresh fruit such as pears, and add legumes to lunch or dinner."
Getty Images/iStockphoto Healthy fats from nuts, seeds, avocado, hemp seeds and oily fish can also help with satiety.
If you're having four or more drinks on a night out or in, you're adding around half the daily intake of the average Australian adult (2,000 calories or 8,700 kilojoules) to your diet.
As alcohol is literally packed with empty calories, reducing alcohol is one of the most effective ways to lose weight.
Go here to see the original:
5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 5 common workout myths and what to do instead, according to the personal trainer who eats only 2 meals a day - Evening Standard - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net - August 18th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017
- What Marilyn Monroe actually ate every day - HarpersBAZAAR.co.uk (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Prevent cardiovascular disease - adding this to diet could be as good as exercise - Express.co.uk - August 17th, 2017