There's always some genius at the gym, ready to fill you in on the latest muscle-building strategy. They're the jacked up sage of the weight room, more than ready and willing to spread their gospel far and wide. Sarcasm aside, you know probably you shouldnt take advice from these liftersabout anythingeven if theyre bigger and stronger than you are. And yet chances are youve come to believe that what theyve told you about building muscle is the irrefutable truth.
But Mens Health fitness director Ebenezer Samuel, C.S.C.S., is not one of those false muscle prophets. Samuel's techniques are tried and true from his years of training and knowledge of muscle science and biomechanics. He created of the New Rules of Muscle program (available on DVD and the new streaming All Out platform) to share his knowledge with you, so you can stop listening to those guys at the gym.
Here are five rules for lifting that you need to start breaking if you want to see gains.
BUY IT HERE
1. You Have To Go Heavy
Its true that the more weight you lift, the more muscle you have the potential to recruitbut going super heavy on your exercises can also make you cheat form, and that deprives your muscles of growth stimulus while also raising your risk for injury. According Samuel, you should perform most of your exercises with lighter weights, and focus on making them feel heavier by doing them more strictly.
Dont cheat yourself on a rep, says Samuel. People are always letting their elbows come forward and up to their chests on curls and skull crushers just to lift more weight. All this does is take tension off the muscles youre trying to train.
2. Pump The Weight
Yeah, we know its called pumping iron, but thats a misnomer. You get more out of your muscles when you lift weights at a slower, steadier cadence, rather than bouncing your reps out of the bottom position or blasting through sticking points with momentum.
We all need to slow down our reps to get the most out of them, says Samuel, who recommends you count to three (in your head) when youre lowering your reps. You can also experiment with pausing your reps for a moment at the midpoint, which really helps to lock in your form and make the muscles work. For example, as you raise the dumbbell on a curl, stop when your elbow is bent 90 degrees and hold the contraction.
Slower, more controlled sets increase the muscles time under tension, the duration they spend contracting, which is a proven stimulus for growth. While it will require you to use a lighter weight than you could performing your reps pump-style, load isnt the ultimate factor in getting big (ahem, see rule #1).
3. Monday Is Chest Day
For an unofficial rule, it sure seems to be well enforced. Go into any gym on a Monday and youll see guys loading up on bench presses (presumably because theyre fresh from the weekend and want to attack their favorite muscle group with full energy). But Samuel says chest work shouldnt be your top priority, even if getting beefier pecs is your ultimate goal.
In the New Rules of Muscle program, we train back before anything else, says Samuel, because back is weak for most guys, since they sit at desks all day. Doing twice the amount of rowing and reverse flies that you do pressing will help to improve your posture and ward off shoulder injuries. Try putting your back day first in your training week to prioritize it, or at least alternate sets of every chest move you do with a row, face pull, or band pull apart, so that you can keep the opposing muscle groups in balance with each other.
Over time, youll find that stronger back muscles help to draw your shoulders back, spreading your pecs. This makes your chest muscles look bigger all by itself.
4. You Have To Press Overhead
No doubt about it, pressing a heavy barbell straight overhead is one of the manliest things you can dounless it wrecks your shoulders and back. And most guys find that, over time, it does. We have very few exercises in the New Rules program that have you lifting your arm above shoulder level, says Samuel, because most men have muscle imbalances that lead to shoulder injuries, and overhead work will make it worse.
Another problem for many men is that they cant even press the bar in a straight path anywaytheir upper backs are too stiff from sitting round-shouldered in front of computers and looking at their phones. As a result, they have to arch the low back excessively to press the weight up, and that can lead to back pain.
Samuel says that overhead pressing is overrated for delt development anyway: The front of your shoulders gets plenty of stimulus when you do bench and incline presses. Lateral raises will take care of the side delts, and the rear delts get a lot of work from rows, reverse flies, and pulldown variations. Therefore, theres no dedicated shoulder day in the New Rules program, but your delts will grow just fine without itand even more importantly, they wont ache afterward.
5. You Have To Train Abs Every Day
This one is actually partly true. You dont have to work abs every day of your life with old-school moves like crunches and situpsbut you should make your core a priority, and you can save time and effort by training it in conjunction with your other exercises.
BUY IT HERE
Everything we do in New Rules starts at our core to offset the weakness that results from all the sitting we do these days, says Samuel. We have one day where we really kill the core directly, but in every other workout, Im challenging viewers to use their core in stealth waysstabilizing the body on exercises where you work one side at a time, be it presses, lunges, or even curls.
Unilateral moves, and any others where you have to fight to maintain balance, give you plenty of ab work while you train the bigger muscles, maximizing your time in the gym. Sometimes the core involvement will be so subtle, you wont even think of the exercise as working your abs (such as in a single-arm, single-leg row, or a one-arm cable fly done kneeling on the floor)that is, until youre sore the next day.
For more tips and tricks to explode your muscle gains, pick up The New Rules of Muscle program on DVD or on the All Out streaming service.
Men's Health Subscription
Read the rest here:
5 Conventional Lifting Rules to Break to Build More Muscle - menshealth.com
- 35 Best Podcasts In Health & Fitness - Men's Health - February 26th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Men Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training Workouts - menshealth.com - February 24th, 2020
- PA Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - Mash Viral - February 24th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Guys Over 40 Should Try HIIT Training - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 22nd, 2020
- P.A. Raiders and Western University looking to promote men's health - paNOW - February 22nd, 2020
- The Bodyweight Workout That Will Send Your Metabolism Soaring - Men's health UK - February 20th, 2020
- Mens health: Overactive bladder and its burdensome complications among ageing Malaysians - Malay Mail - February 20th, 2020
- This Full-Body, Gym-Free Workout Will Add Muscle, Burn Fat and Build Mental Grit - Men's health UK - February 6th, 2020
- Joey Sasso of Netflix's The Circle Talks Keto & More in New Interview - menshealth.com - February 1st, 2020
- Henry Cavill Has Finally Addressed Those James Bond Rumours - Men's health UK - February 1st, 2020
- 5 Reasons to Buy the March Issue of Men's Health - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- Vionic Morris Active Sneaker - MH Certified Review - Men's Health - January 30th, 2020
- Henry Cavill Explains How He Built Muscle and Burned Fat Simultaneously for 'The Witcher' - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- This Full-Body Workout Builds Lean Muscle Fast and Only Needs One Piece of Equipment - Men's health UK - January 30th, 2020
- I worry for my teenage boys the beauty standards for young men are out of control - The Guardian - January 30th, 2020
- Gardner Minshew named Snickers 'Hungriest Player of the Year' - Jaguars Wire - January 30th, 2020
- How Getting Shredded Helped This Trans Man Find His Confidence - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Man Gained Almost 20 Pounds of Muscle After Plateauing for Years - menshealth.com - January 27th, 2020
- This Couple Eliminated Nearly $100K of Debt in a Single Year - Men's Health - January 27th, 2020
- Try Using Kneeling Biceps Curls in Workouts to Grow Your Arms - menshealth.com - January 24th, 2020
- This 200-Rep Dumbbell Workout Spikes Your Fat-Burn and Builds Muscle - Men's health UK - January 24th, 2020
- 7 Intermittent Fasting Benefits That Aren't Weight Loss - Men's Health - January 13th, 2020
- How Stan Wawrinka Stays At The Top Of His Game - Men's Health - January 13th, 2020
- Workout Finishers: 4 Short, Sharp Workout Finishers to Add To Try - Men's health UK - January 10th, 2020
- Getting the Bachelor's First Impression Rose Isn't That Important - menshealth.com - January 10th, 2020
- The Bodyweight Home Workout That Crushes Calories - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- What You Need To Know About Muscle Dysmorphia And How To Overcome it - Men's Health - January 9th, 2020
- A Letter From The Editor: How Football Can Change Hearts And Minds - Men's health UK - January 9th, 2020
- The Ultimate Men's Pants Style Guide - Types of Trousers for Men - Men's Health - January 4th, 2020
- This Guy Lost 80 Pounds With a Little Help and a Fitness Tracker - menshealth.com - January 4th, 2020
- Male health: The serious challenges with which boys and young men contend - Open Access Government - January 4th, 2020
- Rich Brian on Diplo, Yoga, and Being a 'Meme Rapper' - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- 'Snowglobing' Is the Newest Confusing Holiday Dating Trend - menshealth.com - December 24th, 2019
- Smoking Cannabis Possibly Increases ED Risk - Renal and Urology News - December 21st, 2019
- Men's Health: The modern masculinity bible that goes beyond the pages - Mediaweek - December 18th, 2019
- These Miansai x Fila Targa Sneakers are the Only White Kicks You Need to Own - Men's Health - December 13th, 2019
- Timbaland Explains His Weight Loss and Music - menshealth.com - December 13th, 2019
- Sparrow Caregivers get hairy to win Who-Grew-It-Best contest for men's health awareness - WSYM-TV - December 13th, 2019
- Men hate going to the doctor and that could lead to bigger health problems - WRAL.com - December 10th, 2019
- Andrew Luck and Jason Kander Show How the Strength Myth Crumbles - menshealth.com - December 8th, 2019
- Why James Smith Is The "Gordon Ramsay Of The Fitness World" - Men's Health - December 3rd, 2019
- Sports clubs take part in Movember in aid of mens' health - ForgeToday - December 3rd, 2019
- Rebranding Mens Mental Health: The Trojan Horse, A Bathroom Poster And Embracing The Ands - Forbes - November 29th, 2019
- Men's Health Therapeutics Market to Receive Overwhelming Hike in Revenues by 2024 - Montana Ledger - November 29th, 2019
- 12 of the Best Men's Joggers That You Can Wear (Almost) Anywhere - Men's health UK - November 28th, 2019
- Movember: a month dedicated to men's health - Brock Press - November 28th, 2019
- Fitness corner: In November, my thoughts turn to men's health - My Edmonds News - November 22nd, 2019
- Fit To Me T-Shirts Designed for Trans Men Were Created to Crush Body Insecurities - Men's Health - November 22nd, 2019
- Henry Cavill Shows Off 'The Witcher' Poster and Men's Health Images - Cosmic Book News - November 22nd, 2019
- Mens health: Secrets to healthy ageing and longevity for Malaysians - Malay Mail - November 22nd, 2019
- Loowit to host pinball tournament for a good cause - The Columbian - November 22nd, 2019
- Movember and No Shave November Bring Awareness on Mens Health - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - November 20th, 2019
- OPINION: Movember is about men's health, not your beard - The Daily Evergreen - November 20th, 2019
- Movember Monday: Mens heart health, minority health - WOODTV.com - November 20th, 2019
- New Jersey Mens Health | RWJBarnabas Health - March 12th, 2019
- Mens Health Magazine on the App Store - itunes.apple.com - November 18th, 2018
- Mens Health Month: Never too busy to focus on wellness ... - June 4th, 2018
- Common Foot Problems for Diabetic People - Men's Health Cures - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health Month Calendar - Week 1 - SoClean - June 4th, 2018
- Men's Health | womenshealth.gov - March 26th, 2018
- Men's Fitness Books - Men's Health Books - Men's Health - November 6th, 2017
- Here's How You Can Get as Ripped as Chris Hemsworth, According to His Trainer - Men's Health - September 6th, 2017
- How High Doses Of Ibuprofen Can Mess With Muscle Growth ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- How Apple Engineered Its Watch to Push You to Perform at Your ... - Men's Health - September 2nd, 2017
- 50% Of Guys Couldn't Find the Vagina On This Diagram - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- First-Time Dads Are Getting OlderBut Are There Risks? - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Here's How Oral Sex Can Give You Cancer - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Try This Workout Finisher From 2016 Ultimate Men's Health Guy Jedidiah Ballard - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- How Long Can Sperm Live Outside The Body? This Viral Tweet Has Everyone Wondering - Men's Health - August 31st, 2017
- Amazon Just Made Your Erections 43% Cheaper - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- Can You Do This Explosive Lunge Variation? - Men's Health - August 29th, 2017
- How to Make a Woman Orgasm | Men's Health - Men's Health - August 26th, 2017
- Game of Thrones' Nikolaj Coster-Waldau: I Love the CrossFit Games But Am Worried Everyone's Doping - Men's Health - August 26th, 2017
- Men's Health Unveils Fresh Look and New Direction - Rodale Health - August 23rd, 2017
- Hate Cardio? Make This Small Tweak to Your Routine - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Our Ultimate Guy Search Finalists Are the #MondayMotivation You Didn't Know You Needed - Men's Health - August 21st, 2017
- Mens Health Network - August 20th, 2017
- Meet the Woman Who Is Always on the Verge of an Orgasm - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- People Who Have Cheated Once Are More Likely to Cheat Again, Says New Study - Men's Health - August 18th, 2017
- 34% Of Men Are Still Making This Big Mistake In Bed - Men's Health - August 12th, 2017