Max Lowery, 27, recently told us why he would never touch a protein shake, even if you paid him.
Now, the stockbroker turned personal trainer and founder of the 2-Meal Day diet wants to iron out some more common fitness misconceptions that could be making your workout less effective.
1. You should stretch before a workout.
It's possibly controversial, but Lowery insists that static stretching before a workout can do more harm than good and make your muscles less efficient for your workout.
Static stretches should be done at the end of your workout, when your muscles are already warm, while your warm-up ideally should consist of dynamic movements, activation, and mobility.
Below is an example of one of Lowery's favourite dynamic warm-ups, which he said is ideal for kicking off your workout. He says he always warms up for 25 minutes before a hardcore session.
2. The more exercise you do, the better.
"This mentality can lead to all sorts of problems," he said. "People don't realise that in order for your body to adapt to any exercise stimulus you need to have adequate recovery."
Your rest days are just important as your training days, according to Lowery, especially if you are doing high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, which challenges the nervous system.
This can end up stressing your body out even more, which can lead to weight gain, insomnia, and damage to the immune system, he said.
Lowery recommends three to four good sessions in the gym a week.
"This is more than enough," he said. "All the while, you should be walking, moving, stretching as much as possible."
3. You should do cardio for weight loss.
"The No. 1 factor in losing weight is your diet," Lowery said. This is something several high-profile personal trainers have echoed, including Justin Gelband, who trains Victoria's Secret models. He told Business Insider that "85% percent of what you do is what you eat."
Lowery added: "That being said, exercise should be used to complement a good diet. Cardio (aerobic exercise) is great for health reasons, and you will burn calories while doing it. But your
A personal trainer reveals why he's never had a protein shake
biggest concern when you're trying to lose weight is muscle loss."
He said that if you lost fat and muscle along with it, you would make it harder to keep the weight off in the long run. That's because the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is.
Instead, he says anaerobic activities, such as weight training and sprinting, are the most effective for building lean muscle mass, which will increase your metabolism and decrease fat.
4. And crunches for a 6-pack.
Yes, you heard right: Countless stomach crunches won't necessarily get you ripped, according to Lowery.
"The biggest factor in getting a six-pack is having a low-enough body-fat percentage so that you can actually see your abs," he said. "Everyone has abdominal muscles, but if you have a layer of fat above them, you will never see them."
Lowery's theory is backed up by science. A recent study found that it's not possible to target specific areas of the body for fat loss.
In an experiment with two groups of adults, while one group did targeted ab exercises five days a week for six weeks, the other focused on keeping a balanced "isocaloric diet." The researchers found that the crunches alone did not have a significant impact on abdominal fat or other measures of body composition.
"The only way to decrease body fat is to make changes to your diet," Lowery said. "Once your body-fat percentage is low enough, whilst crunches and sit-ups may serve a purpose for activating your abdominal region, they are not very good for hypertrophy."
To build your abdominal muscles, you must train them the same way you would any other muscle. Start to add some weight into the mix, and use compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and pull-ups that take a lot of abdominal activation.
5. You have to 'destroy' yourself.
With the huge rise in popularity of HIIT classes, particularly in London, many have adopted the mindset that a workout is useless unless you feel "destroyed" at the end.
But Lowery is among numerous personal trainers who have concerns about the short- and long-term effects on people who are not used to such high-intensity training particularly those who sit at a desk all day overexerting themselves at the gym.
Potential side effects from overtraining include weight gain, insomnia, and illness.
"There's a time and a place for pushing yourself really hard in a workout, but issues can arise when this happens in every session," Lowery said. "Sometimes your body will react badly to extra stress if you haven't slept enough the night before, if you haven't eaten the right food all day, or if you are generally feeling stressed out at work.
"For the days where you don't feel 100%, you should do something much less strenuous a brisk walk, a slow jog, swimming, or a stretching session would be much more beneficial, and it would mean you're less likely to overtrain."
Read more from Business Insider UK
Meet the Instagram-famous travel blogging couple who get paid up to 7,000 to post a single photo What it's really like to swap city life to live on one of the most remote islands in the world A woman who travels the world taking stock photos tells us how you can make 6,000 from a single image
Read the original article on Business Insider UK 2016. Follow Business Insider UK on Twitter
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017
- PCOS and Exercise - The Benefits | PCOS Diet Support - September 20th, 2017
- Diet and Exercise | County Health Rankings & Roadmaps - September 20th, 2017
- Not just diet and exercise: lifestyle changes needed to shed the kilos if you're overweight or obese - South China Morning Post - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to slim your waist without exercise or dieting ... - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Weight loss news: Men find THIS type of exercise harder than women - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- Rebel Wilson weight loss: Pitch Perfect's 'Fat Amy' shed the pounds doing THIS exercise - Express.co.uk - September 5th, 2017
- 10 ways to build your best body starting today - Body and Soul - September 4th, 2017
- 5 Myths About Exercise Debunked - Inc.com - September 4th, 2017
- Start the Week Off Right: Four exercise and nutrition myths - Quad City Times - September 4th, 2017
- 30 ways to add years to your life that aren't 'diet and exercise' - WYFF Greenville - September 3rd, 2017
- Junk food fan's shock after learning his 'terrible' diet has aged his body by a staggering 22 YEARS - The Sun - September 3rd, 2017
- When diets fail, Rujuta Diwekar's exercise guide comes to the rescue - Economic Times - September 3rd, 2017
- Losing weight gets personal: Combining diet and behavioral changes may help - Washington Post - September 3rd, 2017
- Jessie James Decker Reveals the Fitness and Diet Secrets to Her Super Hot Bikini Body! - E! Online - September 1st, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's Diet and Exercise Regime Helps Her On-Set Stamina - Hollywood.com - August 30th, 2017
- Weight loss: Man loses over three stone by swapping fizzy drinks for THIS - Express.co.uk - August 30th, 2017
- Nathalie Emmanuel's diet and exercise regime helps her on-set stamina - Belfast Telegraph - August 29th, 2017
- How I Got This Body: Less Fad Dieting and Diet Coke, More Seltzer and Fitspo Friends - Washingtonian.com - August 29th, 2017
- Cutting the carbs: Everything you need to know about the South Beach Diet - Atlanta Journal Constitution - August 29th, 2017
- Calorie reduction + exercise = better muscle function in older adults - Medical Xpress - August 29th, 2017
- Emilia Clarke's trainer reveals what she does to stay in such great shape - INSIDER - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss diet: Eating THIS before exercise could affect how your body burns fat - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- Diet and exercise - Journal Advocate - August 28th, 2017
- The key to weight loss: THIS could be the best way to combat obesity - Express.co.uk - August 28th, 2017
- The only two exercises you need to do to get rid of belly fat fast - Daily Star - August 28th, 2017
- Weight loss: This is the best trick YOU can do to lose weight without even trying - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- 5 Easy Ways To Spring Clean Your Diet - Huffington Post Australia - August 27th, 2017
- Weight loss: THIS is the best exercise you can do at home to lose belly fat - Express.co.uk - August 27th, 2017
- A Coach's Wife: Trying to comprehend the mixed-up business of diet and exercise - Daily Herald - August 27th, 2017
- Tia Mowry on her 5-second style and why she'll never give up comfort foods - Yahoo Food - August 27th, 2017
- Report: Diet, Exercise Help Diabetics Maintain Normal Lifestyle - CBS Philly - August 26th, 2017
- Fit For Life: Train and Eat! Not - Exercise and Diet - GoLocalProv - August 26th, 2017
- Weight loss: How to lose weight and blast belly fat with walking - Express.co.uk - August 26th, 2017
- 83% of people lose weight on THIS diet without exercising - Daily Star - August 26th, 2017
- Bob Harper Shares All the Ways His Life Has Changed Following His Heart Attack - POPSUGAR - August 26th, 2017
- Intensive lifestyle change: It works, and it's more than diet and exercise - Harvard Health (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Kristina Dropped 102 Pounds by "Doing Zero Exercise" in the First Year - POPSUGAR - August 21st, 2017
- 25-year-old supermodel Kate Upton says weightlifting completely changed her body and outlook on fitness - INSIDER - August 21st, 2017
- Jennifer Aniston Dishes on Her Diet and Exercise Secrets (Grab a Pen and Take Notes, People!) - Closer Weekly - August 20th, 2017
- Study: A red wine component has similar anti-aging benefits to diet and exercise - PhillyVoice.com - August 19th, 2017
- Health and exercise myths and tips - Inquirer.net - August 18th, 2017
- The Secret Behind Demi Lovato's Confidence and Happiness? This Routine - POPSUGAR - August 18th, 2017
- What Marilyn Monroe actually ate every day - HarpersBAZAAR.co.uk (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Prevent cardiovascular disease - adding this to diet could be as good as exercise - Express.co.uk - August 17th, 2017