Max Lowery, 27, recently told us why he would never touch a protein shake, even if you paid him.
Now, the stockbroker turned personal trainer and founder of the 2-Meal Day diet wants to iron out some more common fitness misconceptions that could be making your workout less effective.
1. You should stretch before a workout.
It's possibly controversial, but Lowery insists that static stretching before a workout can do more harm than good and make your muscles less efficient for your workout.
Static stretches should be done at the end of your workout, when your muscles are already warm, while your warm-up ideally should consist of dynamic movements, activation, and mobility.
Below is an example of one of Lowery's favourite dynamic warm-ups, which he said is ideal for kicking off your workout. He says he always warms up for 25 minutes before a hardcore session.
2. The more exercise you do, the better.
"This mentality can lead to all sorts of problems," he said. "People don't realise that in order for your body to adapt to any exercise stimulus you need to have adequate recovery."
Your rest days are just important as your training days, according to Lowery, especially if you are doing high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, which challenges the nervous system.
This can end up stressing your body out even more, which can lead to weight gain, insomnia, and damage to the immune system, he said.
Lowery recommends three to four good sessions in the gym a week.
"This is more than enough," he said. "All the while, you should be walking, moving, stretching as much as possible."
3. You should do cardio for weight loss.
"The No. 1 factor in losing weight is your diet," Lowery said. This is something several high-profile personal trainers have echoed, including Justin Gelband, who trains Victoria's Secret models. He told Business Insider that "85% percent of what you do is what you eat."
Lowery added: "That being said, exercise should be used to complement a good diet. Cardio (aerobic exercise) is great for health reasons, and you will burn calories while doing it. But your
A personal trainer reveals why he's never had a protein shake
biggest concern when you're trying to lose weight is muscle loss."
He said that if you lost fat and muscle along with it, you would make it harder to keep the weight off in the long run. That's because the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is.
Instead, he says anaerobic activities, such as weight training and sprinting, are the most effective for building lean muscle mass, which will increase your metabolism and decrease fat.
4. And crunches for a 6-pack.
Yes, you heard right: Countless stomach crunches won't necessarily get you ripped, according to Lowery.
"The biggest factor in getting a six-pack is having a low-enough body-fat percentage so that you can actually see your abs," he said. "Everyone has abdominal muscles, but if you have a layer of fat above them, you will never see them."
Lowery's theory is backed up by science. A recent study found that it's not possible to target specific areas of the body for fat loss.
In an experiment with two groups of adults, while one group did targeted ab exercises five days a week for six weeks, the other focused on keeping a balanced "isocaloric diet." The researchers found that the crunches alone did not have a significant impact on abdominal fat or other measures of body composition.
"The only way to decrease body fat is to make changes to your diet," Lowery said. "Once your body-fat percentage is low enough, whilst crunches and sit-ups may serve a purpose for activating your abdominal region, they are not very good for hypertrophy."
To build your abdominal muscles, you must train them the same way you would any other muscle. Start to add some weight into the mix, and use compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and pull-ups that take a lot of abdominal activation.
5. You have to 'destroy' yourself.
With the huge rise in popularity of HIIT classes, particularly in London, many have adopted the mindset that a workout is useless unless you feel "destroyed" at the end.
But Lowery is among numerous personal trainers who have concerns about the short- and long-term effects on people who are not used to such high-intensity training particularly those who sit at a desk all day overexerting themselves at the gym.
Potential side effects from overtraining include weight gain, insomnia, and illness.
"There's a time and a place for pushing yourself really hard in a workout, but issues can arise when this happens in every session," Lowery said. "Sometimes your body will react badly to extra stress if you haven't slept enough the night before, if you haven't eaten the right food all day, or if you are generally feeling stressed out at work.
"For the days where you don't feel 100%, you should do something much less strenuous a brisk walk, a slow jog, swimming, or a stretching session would be much more beneficial, and it would mean you're less likely to overtrain."
Read more from Business Insider UK
Meet the Instagram-famous travel blogging couple who get paid up to 7,000 to post a single photo What it's really like to swap city life to live on one of the most remote islands in the world A woman who travels the world taking stock photos tells us how you can make 6,000 from a single image
Read the original article on Business Insider UK 2016. Follow Business Insider UK on Twitter
- What Is The Body Reset Diet By Harley Pasternak? How It Works - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Andrew Thomas is Prepping for His First NFL Season with Burritos, Zoom Meetings, and Piano Breaks. - GQ - July 4th, 2020
- Boris Johnson Has a Personal Stake in Fighting Obesity - Yahoo Finance - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss: Is brown bread good for weight loss? - Express - July 4th, 2020
- Training your body for surgery may improve recovery, reduce complications - HalifaxToday.ca - July 4th, 2020
- Covid has caused many changes in our lives. But there is one thing it has altered daily diet - The Financial Express - July 4th, 2020
- Why Every Person Reacts Differently to Diets - Bicycling - July 4th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of Giants Offensive Lineman Andrew Thomas, the No. 4 Pick in This Year's Draft - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson Is Reportedly Using the Mayr Method to Lose Weight, But Is It Healthy? - Prevention.com - July 4th, 2020
- Experts Offer Advice For Getting Back To Healthy Habits Changed By COVID-19 Pandemic - CBS New York - July 4th, 2020
- Hiatal Hernia Yoga, Exercise and Lifestyle Changes To Reduce The Risk of Hiatal Hernia - NJ MMA News - July 4th, 2020
- Exercising with Type 1 Diabetes: The Insulin-Food Balance Challenge - Diabetes In Control - July 4th, 2020
- 'I Did Keto For A Year Then Switched To A Higher-Carb DietAnd I Lost 135 Pounds In Less Than 2 Years' - Women's Health - July 4th, 2020
- Weight loss story: I lost 21 kilos without going to gym and by simply following Intermittent Fasting! - Times of India - July 4th, 2020
- Every Person Reacts Differently to DietsHeres Why - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 4th, 2020
- Beginner In Exercising? Here Are Some Important Points To Note And A Basic Workout To Start With - NDTV Doctor - July 4th, 2020
- ExpertSpeak: Effects Of PCOS On Fertility And Its Treatment Options - Femina - July 4th, 2020
- Assessing the Outcomes of a Brief Nutrition Education Intervention Among Division I Football Student-Athletes at Moderate Altitude - United States... - July 4th, 2020
- You Are What You Eat: Nutritional Mythbusting - Varsity Online - July 4th, 2020
- Working on the laptop all day? Try this one exercise regularly to avoid eye strain - Times Now - July 4th, 2020
- Does Exercise Help You Lose Weight? The Surprising Truth - July 1st, 2020
- Fitness for Diabetes: How Diet and Exercise Can Help You - July 1st, 2020
- 7 things you may be doing that can prevent weight loss - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- Mayr method diet: What is the Viva Mayr diet plan? - TODAY - July 1st, 2020
- American Cancer Societys updated diet and physical activity guidelines to help lower cancer risk - The Globe and Mail - July 1st, 2020
- Exercising On An Empty Stomach: What Experts Think - Medical Daily - July 1st, 2020
- Former Mr. Texas is Transforming the C-Suite - D Magazine - July 1st, 2020
- Christina Anstead Reveals She's Getting Back to Work on Her HGTV Show - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - July 1st, 2020
- High blood pressure - the 1 breakfast fruit juice to protect against deadly hypertension - Express - July 1st, 2020
- High cholesterol: Four biggest habits to stop to lower levels and best food to include - Express - July 1st, 2020
- Jenni Murray: I hate the diet industry. Its caused me misery - The Guardian - July 1st, 2020
- Thrive patch: Does it help with weight loss? - Medical News Today - July 1st, 2020
- 2 R.I. hospitals to take part in big Alzheimers study - The Providence Journal - June 30th, 2020
- Green tea: Best time to drink healthy beverage for quick weight loss results - Express - June 30th, 2020
- More Than One-Third of Americans Have Dangerous Metabolic Syndrome - Healthline - June 30th, 2020
- 7 of the Best Free Weight Loss Apps - Clark.com - Clark Howard - June 30th, 2020
- The Real-Life Diet of David Dobrik, Who is Skipping Workouts and Eating Watermelon Sandwiches - GQ - June 30th, 2020
- 5 Anti-Aging Foods to Add to Your Diet - Top Anti-Aging Foods for Hair, Skin, Gut Health - TownandCountrymag.com - June 30th, 2020
- High blood pressure - the five exercises you can do at home to prevent hypertension - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THIS Japanese long breathing technique to lose weight - PINKVILLA - June 30th, 2020
- How to live longer: The five key criteria for protecting against cancer and an early death - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Weight loss: Tesco worker lost 7 stone and dropped five dress sizes with this diet plan - Express - June 30th, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The joints - Loma Linda University Health - June 30th, 2020
- Is fasted cardio better for weight loss? This research might have the answer - T3 - June 30th, 2020
- Is Swimming A Good Workout For Weight Loss? How To Swim To Lose Weight - Women's Health - June 30th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson's Weight Loss Secrets Revealed: Here's the diet and exercise plan - PINKVILLA - June 22nd, 2020
- Lost your motivation to eat healthy and exercise during the pandemic? You are not alone - Health24 - June 22nd, 2020
- Best Foods to Eat and Avoid for Migraines - WTOP - June 22nd, 2020
- Local doctor gives tips on how to boost your immune system effectively - The Killeen Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Back pain - the best dinner vegetable you should add to your diet for avoiding backache - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How to live longer - the 85p fruit you should add to your diet to avoid an early death - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- Five Healthy Choices Tied to Dramatic Cut in Dementia Risk - Medscape - June 22nd, 2020
- Delayed periods? Time to accept that household chores dont equate to exercise - Times of India - June 22nd, 2020
- How a High-Alkaline Diet Helps Avoid Injury and Recover Faster - The Beet - June 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight in legs quickly and effectively: TOP 5 tips - The Times Hub - June 22nd, 2020
- Active nutrition and immunity: Experts discuss key ingredients, personalization, the microbiome, and more - NutraIngredients-usa.com - June 22nd, 2020
- Adult Acne Is Real: Here Are the Foods That Can Cause It - Healthline - June 22nd, 2020
- Juice diet plan: The best juices to help burn belly fat in 2 weeks and keep it off - Express - June 22nd, 2020
- How the foods you eat might help you fight cancer - Williston Daily Herald - June 22nd, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Jacksonville Journal-Courier - June 22nd, 2020
- Mind Healing: How are stress, sleep and sugary food connected; and what can we do about it? - Telegraph.co.uk - June 22nd, 2020
- Head to toe men's health: The urinary tract - Loma Linda University Health - June 22nd, 2020
- We know what to eat for a good heart, but what about when to eat? - The New Indian Express - June 21st, 2020
- Dream of Alzheimers center for women comes true in Vegas - Alton Telegraph - June 21st, 2020
- Sleep, eat, exercise and repeat: De-clutter your mind to maintain mental well-being - Economic Times - June 21st, 2020
- Kids as young as eight showing signs of adult diabetes due to poor diet and lack of exercise, study war - The Sun - June 21st, 2020
- Father's Day 2020: Expert Gives 6 Health Tips That All Fathers Must Follow - Doctor NDTV - June 21st, 2020
- You dont have to lose weight in lockdown: the social media stars on a body positive mission - Evening Standard - June 21st, 2020
- Kiara Advani: Diet and exercise secrets of the Bollywood star to stay fit REVEALED - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2020
- How bacteria in your gut interact with the mind and body - Health24 - June 21st, 2020
- Guy Follows Mike Tysons Insane Diet And Workout Routine And One Of The Meals Includes 6 Bananas - BroBible - June 21st, 2020
- International Yoga Day 2020: From Shilpa Shetty to Kareena Kapoor, these Bollywood divas swear by yoga... - Hindustan Times - June 21st, 2020
- Were in the Era of Peak Fitness TrackingHeres How to Keep That Relationship Healthy - Well+Good - June 21st, 2020
- How to lose visceral fat: Avoid one type of drink to get rid of the harmful belly fat - Express.co.uk - June 21st, 2020
- Is weight loss faster if you add a fasting diet to cardio? - T3 - June 20th, 2020
- Industry VoicesEnsuring long-term brain health in the time of COVID-19 - FierceHealthcare - June 20th, 2020
- There is no perfect diet that works for every metabolism or body type - New Scientist News - June 20th, 2020
- How much water should you drink in a day? - Times of India - June 20th, 2020
- Salma Hayek has the perfect fast and effective workout - HOLA USA - June 20th, 2020
- This core exercise will help you get rid of belly fat - The Indian Express - June 20th, 2020