Max Lowery, 27, recently told us why he would never touch a protein shake, even if you paid him.
Now, the stockbroker turned personal trainer and founder of the 2-Meal Day diet wants to iron out some more common fitness misconceptions that could be making your workout less effective.
1. You should stretch before a workout.
It's possibly controversial, but Lowery insists that static stretching before a workout can do more harm than good and make your muscles less efficient for your workout.
Static stretches should be done at the end of your workout, when your muscles are already warm, while your warm-up ideally should consist of dynamic movements, activation, and mobility.
Below is an example of one of Lowery's favourite dynamic warm-ups, which he said is ideal for kicking off your workout. He says he always warms up for 25 minutes before a hardcore session.
2. The more exercise you do, the better.
"This mentality can lead to all sorts of problems," he said. "People don't realise that in order for your body to adapt to any exercise stimulus you need to have adequate recovery."
Your rest days are just important as your training days, according to Lowery, especially if you are doing high-intensity interval training, or HIIT, which challenges the nervous system.
This can end up stressing your body out even more, which can lead to weight gain, insomnia, and damage to the immune system, he said.
Lowery recommends three to four good sessions in the gym a week.
"This is more than enough," he said. "All the while, you should be walking, moving, stretching as much as possible."
3. You should do cardio for weight loss.
"The No. 1 factor in losing weight is your diet," Lowery said. This is something several high-profile personal trainers have echoed, including Justin Gelband, who trains Victoria's Secret models. He told Business Insider that "85% percent of what you do is what you eat."
Lowery added: "That being said, exercise should be used to complement a good diet. Cardio (aerobic exercise) is great for health reasons, and you will burn calories while doing it. But your
A personal trainer reveals why he's never had a protein shake
biggest concern when you're trying to lose weight is muscle loss."
He said that if you lost fat and muscle along with it, you would make it harder to keep the weight off in the long run. That's because the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is.
Instead, he says anaerobic activities, such as weight training and sprinting, are the most effective for building lean muscle mass, which will increase your metabolism and decrease fat.
4. And crunches for a 6-pack.
Yes, you heard right: Countless stomach crunches won't necessarily get you ripped, according to Lowery.
"The biggest factor in getting a six-pack is having a low-enough body-fat percentage so that you can actually see your abs," he said. "Everyone has abdominal muscles, but if you have a layer of fat above them, you will never see them."
Lowery's theory is backed up by science. A recent study found that it's not possible to target specific areas of the body for fat loss.
In an experiment with two groups of adults, while one group did targeted ab exercises five days a week for six weeks, the other focused on keeping a balanced "isocaloric diet." The researchers found that the crunches alone did not have a significant impact on abdominal fat or other measures of body composition.
"The only way to decrease body fat is to make changes to your diet," Lowery said. "Once your body-fat percentage is low enough, whilst crunches and sit-ups may serve a purpose for activating your abdominal region, they are not very good for hypertrophy."
To build your abdominal muscles, you must train them the same way you would any other muscle. Start to add some weight into the mix, and use compound movements like squats, deadlifts, and pull-ups that take a lot of abdominal activation.
5. You have to 'destroy' yourself.
With the huge rise in popularity of HIIT classes, particularly in London, many have adopted the mindset that a workout is useless unless you feel "destroyed" at the end.
But Lowery is among numerous personal trainers who have concerns about the short- and long-term effects on people who are not used to such high-intensity training particularly those who sit at a desk all day overexerting themselves at the gym.
Potential side effects from overtraining include weight gain, insomnia, and illness.
"There's a time and a place for pushing yourself really hard in a workout, but issues can arise when this happens in every session," Lowery said. "Sometimes your body will react badly to extra stress if you haven't slept enough the night before, if you haven't eaten the right food all day, or if you are generally feeling stressed out at work.
"For the days where you don't feel 100%, you should do something much less strenuous a brisk walk, a slow jog, swimming, or a stretching session would be much more beneficial, and it would mean you're less likely to overtrain."
Read more from Business Insider UK
Meet the Instagram-famous travel blogging couple who get paid up to 7,000 to post a single photo What it's really like to swap city life to live on one of the most remote islands in the world A woman who travels the world taking stock photos tells us how you can make 6,000 from a single image
Read the original article on Business Insider UK 2016. Follow Business Insider UK on Twitter
- Diet For Stress: Try These Vitamin-Rich Foods And Drinks To Get Rid Of Stress And Anxiety - NDTV News - November 20th, 2019
- Alfred Dawes | Are you really on a diet? - Jamaica Gleaner - November 20th, 2019
- Does it run in the family? How to create a family health portrait - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - November 20th, 2019
- Kiara Advani Workout & Diet: Exercise Routine of Indian Film Actress That Makes Her One of the Hottest Diva in Bollywood (Watch Videos) - Herald... - November 20th, 2019
- Living with chronic illness: Why some cope and others don't - Knowable Magazine - November 20th, 2019
- I tried a juice cleanse for two days and the amount of times I had to poo was staggering - woman&home - November 20th, 2019
- Elite Athletes Are Going Vegan. Will It Help You? - EcoWatch - November 20th, 2019
- Studies Prove Eating This Amount Of Calories Help You Increase Life Expectancy - International Business Times - November 20th, 2019
- 10 Potential Benefits of Kombucha - Everyday Health - November 20th, 2019
- Study finds the top holiday treats that cause Americans to abandon their diets - Yahoo News UK - November 20th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Include these three drinks in your diet to lower your reading - Express - November 20th, 2019
- 12 Anti-Aging Tips That Really Work - Newsmax - November 20th, 2019
- Stop medicalising loneliness history reveals it's society that needs mending - The Conversation UK - November 20th, 2019
- This is the least stressful way to get rid of stress - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 20th, 2019
- Advice about taking aspirin and statins after age 75 - Harvard Health - November 20th, 2019
- Recommendations to help manage five common holiday-related stressors - News-Medical.net - November 20th, 2019
- The diet and diabetes connect - The New Indian Express - November 20th, 2019
- 5 Common Holiday Stressors and How to Manage Them - Newswise - November 20th, 2019
- Hayling musician determined to fight Parkinson's will appear on stage at Island concert - Portsmouth News - November 20th, 2019
- Wondering How to Cut 500 Calories a Day? Make These 5 Easy Swaps - LIVESTRONG.COM - November 20th, 2019
- What Science Tells Us About Preventing Dementia - The Wall Street Journal - November 18th, 2019
- 'I Tried The Keto Diet And Lost 75 Pounds In Less Than A Year' - Women's Health - November 18th, 2019
- Star fitness specialist gives his top tips on burning belly fat without going to the gym - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Weight loss: The best time to eat breakfast to slim down and lose weight - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Elite Athletes Are Going Vegan. Will It Help You? - Healthline - November 18th, 2019
- Things you need to know if youre raising your infant as a vegan - Marin Independent Journal - November 18th, 2019
- Does it run in the family? How to create a family health portrait - The Baxter Bulletin - November 18th, 2019
- What to eat (and avoid) if you're trying lose weight - National Post - November 18th, 2019
- Ask Jillian Michaels: I want to exercise more, but it's so difficult for me to overcome my natural laziness. How do you stay motivated every day to... - November 18th, 2019
- Why Improving physical health reflects on your mental well-being - Thrive Global - November 18th, 2019
- How to get rid of visceral fat: Best diet plan to reduce the belly fat - what foods to eat - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Weight loss: Superfood revealed that can help slimmers head to the gym - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Type 2 diabetes: The Mediterranean vegetable proven to lower blood sugar - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Balanced diet, exercise advised to ward off diabetes - The News International - November 18th, 2019
- The best abs workout: the only 6 exercises you need to get a six-pack - GQ India - What a man's got to do - November 18th, 2019
- Diabetes Diet: Travel Healthy With These 5 Foods If You Are A Diabetic - NDTV Food - November 18th, 2019
- DNA Nudge app review: can this wristband tell you the best diet for your genes? - The Times - November 18th, 2019
- Inactive older adults can lower heart disease risk by ramping up exercise: study - National Post - November 18th, 2019
- Diabetes: Family support is key in managing the illness - The New Times - November 18th, 2019
- High blood pressure: Include this snack in your diet to lower your reading - Express - November 18th, 2019
- Eating and exercise: 5 tips to maximize your workouts ... - November 9th, 2019
- The Advantages of Diet & Exercise | Healthfully - October 20th, 2019
- 4 Best Types of Exercise on the Keto Diet | Natural Healthy - October 12th, 2019
- Flat Belly Diet Drink | Lose Belly Fat in 1 Week | No Diet ... - October 12th, 2019
- How To Choose The Right Diet And Exercise Plan For Men - September 10th, 2019
- How to Exercise on a Keto Diet | KetoDiet Blog - August 21st, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Calendar Template | 2019 Calendar ... - August 3rd, 2019
- Nutrition, Exercise & Sleep - National Sleep Foundation - July 29th, 2019
- Top Four Ways to Exercise When on a Ketogenic Diet - July 13th, 2019
- Cherry Creek Medical Weight Loss - Colorado Weight Loss - June 5th, 2019
- Is Diet Really More Effective Than Exercise for Weight ... - June 5th, 2019
- Dementia: Exercise, diet, healthy lifestyle can prevent it ... - May 19th, 2019
- Diet and Exercise Tips For Incontinence URINARY ... - April 26th, 2019
- Is It the Diet, the Exercise, or Both? | NutritionFacts.org - April 17th, 2019
- How To Create The Perfect Diet Plan For Your Workout Goal - April 16th, 2019
- Diet + Fitness - CNN - April 3rd, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise - Mindful by Sodexo - March 9th, 2019
- Diet vs. Exercise: The Truth About Weight Loss - WebMD - February 28th, 2019
- Is Exercise Pointless? (Why You Cant Out Train A Bad Diet) - February 10th, 2019
- Donald Trump's Physical Exam Shows Hes in 'Very Good ... - February 8th, 2019
- Can You Exercise While On The Keto Diet? | Bioketo - February 3rd, 2019
- CRON-diet - Wikipedia - January 17th, 2019
- Reverse PCOS Naturally Through Diet and Exercise | Sepalika - September 24th, 2018
- Diet and Exercise for Heart Disease Prevention - September 24th, 2018
- Diet & Exercise Diary: Hinkler books: 9781743087800 ... - August 6th, 2018
- The Fully Raw Diet: 21 Days to Better Health, with Meal ... - July 9th, 2018
- Diet, Exercise & Health | Fisher Center for Alzheimer's ... - June 5th, 2018
- PCOS and Exercise: How much and how often? | PCOS Diet Support - May 27th, 2018
- 2-Week Diet & Exercise Plan | Applied Nutrition | Health Tips - May 25th, 2018
- Should You Exercise While On The HCG Diet? - May 17th, 2018
- Diet or exercise for weight loss? - Business Insider - May 17th, 2018
- Dieting - Wikipedia - May 17th, 2018
- Successful Weight Loss: Top 10 Tips On ... - The Diet Channel - May 17th, 2018
- The relationship between diet and exercise Steven Low - April 28th, 2018
- Exercise and Eating Healthy - April 19th, 2018
- Diet Vs Exercise: Which Matters More For Weight Loss ... - January 12th, 2018
- Exercise and Anti Inflammation Diet to Live Longer - December 29th, 2017
- How To Lose Weight Fast Without Diet Pills Or Exercise - October 13th, 2017
- Benefit to improving diet and exercise at the same time ... - October 1st, 2017
- 3 Day Military Diet & Exercise: Best Workout Plan for ... - September 20th, 2017