By Olivia Tarantino
Trying to shed a few? Skip the gymtake a bubble bath instead.
Everyone knows the popular weight-loss mantra: Move more and eat less. And although theyre listed together, these two pieces of advice dont need to be treated equally. Let us explain.
Yes, we know that moderate intensity exercise is good for maintaining and improving your health, but more than fifty studies have uncovered evidence that exercise alone may not be the best way to lose weight.
Besides the fact that research shows exercise can undermine weight loss by making you hungrier, it can also mislead you to believe you can continue to indulge in junk foods either as a reward for exercising or because you've created a calorie deficit, i.e. a buffer. Thats not even the worst of it. A study published in the journal Obesity Reviews found that people also tend to overestimate how many calories they burn when they workout. As a result, participants typically overcompensated for their workouts by eating more calories than they burned.
Although exercise can certainly help build fat-burning muscle and maintain a svelte physique, it wont shrink your waistline as much as changing your diet will. So now that we know eating less should take priority in your weight-loss journey, where to start? Because its easier said than done, weve uncovered thirty slimming secrets that can help you tackle your muffin top through diet swaps as well as lifestyle and eating habit changes. (And yes, de-stressing with a bubble bath is one of them.) Find out how you can avoid becoming a gym rat below, and then double down on your efforts by starting your day with one of these super simple 50 Best Overnight Oats Recipes.
Want to eat less? Your first line of defense is getting a good nights rest. When you don't get enough quality shut-eye, your body increases levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin and decreases the satiety hormone leptinresulting in unignorable hunger pangs. Plus, studies show that your sleep-deprived self craves more unhealthy, high-calorie and high-fat foods, which means youll not only eat more food, but youll be eating more junk.
Over 50 percent of Americans drink coffee on a regular basis, and many of them use calorie-laden additives like sugar, flavored syrups, or cream in their beverage. As a result, rather than being a zero or five calorie drink, the average calorie count of a cuppa joe skyrockets 1,280 percent, to 69 calories, according to a recent study published in the journal Public Health. Not only will taking your coffee black save you nearly 500 calories a week, but, since more than 60 percent of those calories come from sugar, youll also be lowering your risk of insulin resistance, diabetes, and other metabolic disorders. Leaving the sugar packets on the shelf is one of our 36 Easy Ways to Cut 50+ Calories.
Did you know that 60 percent of the time we inappropriately respond to thirst by eating instead of drinking? So says a study in the journal Physiology & Behavior. Experts believe the mistake stems from the fact that the same part of our brain controls hunger and thirst, and sometimes it mixes up the signals. Not only will keeping a water bottle around help you respond to thirst correctly, but chugging water can help you feel full, keep your metabolism humming, and even help you debloat!
Vegetable oils like canola and soybean oil are high in inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids, which can throw your body into a state of chronic inflammation, causing weight gain and skin issues. Instead, grab a bottle of extra virgin olive oil, whose polyphenols have been known to help lower blood pressure and whose oleic acid has been found to help reduce appetite and promote weight loss.
Dairy fat, that is. You may be surprised to hear it, but fat free food doesnt necessarily translate to a fat-free body; According to a European Journal of Nutrition study, participants who ate full-fat dairy tended to weigh less and gained less weight over time than those who opted for non-fat products. Experts explain that non-fat foods can be less satisfying overall thanks to the low fat content (since fats are digested slowly and can keep you fuller longer), and because many fat-free food items are made with waist-widening artificial ingredients.
Dont push through that mid-afternoon grumble. Trust us. Studies have found that those who eat late lunches, and those who go the most time in between meals end up consuming more calories during those meals compared to those who eat more often. The reasoning is simple: when youre hungryand running on emptyyour body switches to starvation mode and increases production of your hunger hormones, which then causes you to overcompensate at your next meal. To keep yourself from overeating, always carry a snack with you.
The junk food struggle is realwe know. And willpower isnt to blame. A University of Sydney study found that eating junk food can become a habit, and one thats perpetuated simply by stepping into a room (like your kitchen) or experiencing a food cue (like a fast food commercial). Breaking these bad eating habits will take time and patience, but theres a simple fix: Prioritize healthy foods in front of junk food in your pantry. That way, when youre craving a cookie you have to push aside the almonds and quinoa to get to it. Itll serve as a little reminder to keep up your better-body goals.
Fill up on veggies and youll be less likely to fill out your jeans. Research published in the journal PLOS Medicine linked greater consumption of high-fiber vegetables to greater weight-loss results when compared with diets low in high-fiber foods. Not only are these veggies super-satiating, theyre also full of anti-inflammatory antioxidants and will displace snacks like nutrient-deficient potato chips and pretzels.
You dont have to go all-out vegan to reap the benefits of a meat-free diet. Just try for one lunch or dinner a week. In doing so, youll be consuming more plant-based protein, of which a University of Copenhagen study found to be even more satisfying than pork and veal-based meals, and make people feel more full. It gets better: The researchers also found that participants who ate a vegetarian high-protein meal consumed 12 percent fewer calories in their next meal compared to those who ate meat!
You have two options when you get home late from work starving and see an empty fridgeone, order belly-bloating, high-calorie, greasy takeout, or two, whip up a quick veggie-packed stir fry with the frozen veggies you always keep in your freezer. If you keep healthy ingredients on hand (like frozen fruits, veggies and pre-portioned protein), you wont have to resort to unhealthy delivery meals. For tips on what you should stock in your pantry, dont miss these 30 Weight Loss Ingredients to Always Have On Hand.
One of the simplest ways to cut calories is to limit products that have added sugar. These simple carbs are essentially void of nutrients and can cause you to be perpetually hungry (which means you're likely to overeat). The most effective tactic is targeting beverages: sugary coffees, iced teas and soda. These liquid calories are in a class of their own: An American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that energy obtained from drinking fluids has been shown to be less satisfying than calories from solid foods, which causes us to drink more (and a greater number of calories) before we feel satisfied. Just to see how poorly your favorite stacks up among the pack, check out our exclusive report: 70 Most Popular Sodas Ranked By How Toxic They Are.
Preparing your own lunch means you put the calorie-cutting power in your own handsnot in the hands of the restaurateurs who have no stake in your weight-loss journey. Prepare any of these 25 Super-Healthy Lunches Under 400 Calories, and you'll save 600 calories a meal compared to if you ate at a standard sit-down restaurant, whose midday meal can average more than 1,100 calories.
A lunch break should be just thata break! Research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that people who eat while distracted can consume 288 calories more in one sitting than they would otherwise. Experts explain that keeping your mind busy while eating can prevent certain satiety cues from instructing your brain that you've had your fill.
You wont just get more likes on your Instagram photo. Making your food look picture-perfect can encourage you to load your plate up with more colorful, fresh veggies. Whats more, it may even make your food taste better! A study published in the journal Health Psychology found that when participants spent time preparing the food they make, they found it to be significantly more satisfying than those who had the food prepared for them, even if the food was considered "healthy."
Eating well is essential to weight loss, but a good diet alone may not be enough to counteract all the harmful effects stress has on our bodies. A new study published in Molecular Psychiatry suggested that being stressed could even override the benefits of making better food choices! When you're constantly pulling your hair out, the stress hormone cortisol builds up in your body. And that's bad news for your belly. Cortisol forces your body to store fat and revs your hunger for high-calorie foods, meaning that you may start craving a donut even if your stomach is actually full. While improving your diet is important, youll be more successful if you take a second to relax (and yes, taking a bubble bath counts!).
Ever heard of the seafood diet? You see food and immediately eat it! To curb your junk food consumption, start by ridding your workspace and kitchen counters of your dietary kryptonite. Keeping these vices visible will set yourself up for failure by triggering a trait dubbed by Harvard researchers as visual hunger: an evolutionary trait that increases levels of hunger hormones when we see food. Instead, hide your stash in opaque containers or in the back of your cabinet.
Look, well be the first to tell you we love wineespecially red wine, which actually offers antioxidants and is considered relatively healthy when consumed in moderation (no more than two glasses a day). But if you're looking to lose weight, one of our best tips is to put down the glass. Because alcohol is fairly caloric and provides relatively few nutritional benefits, drinking shouldn't be an everyday event. For example, two pints of beer a day can add nearly 2,000 calories to your weekly intakeso cutting it out can help you lose over two pounds a month. For those few times that you do choose to indulge, though, do so wisely with the help of these 20 Tips for Choosing Healthy Alcohol Drinks.
We have no issue with eating out once in awhile, but heed this advice: ask your waiter to box up half the meal before it reaches the table. A recent study discovered that the average meal at your local American, Chinese, or Italian restaurant contains a whopping 1,500 calories, so following this tip can save you a cool 750 calories. Plus, youll get a free lunch for tomorrow!
Were singing, bye, bye, miss American fries! You can even stick with your weekly burger order from your favorite pub, just sub out the spuds for a salad. Doing so can save over 150 calories while filling you up with fiber-rich veggies that are great for improving digestive health.
Heres a simple to to avoid eating unhealthy foods: serve yourself. According to USC researchers, the simple act of having to plate your own grub, instead of having a server or friend dish out a helping for you, can curb an unhealthy indulgence. So next time youre celebrating a coworkers birthday, serve (and cut!) your own slice of cake.
Heres a great excuse for date night!: A new Cornell study found that men are at a unique risk of overeating in social situationseven if there isnt an incentive to do so. Even if men aren't thinking about it, eating more than a friend tends to be understood as a demonstration of virility and strength, explained co-author of the study, Kevin Kniffin, PhD. So instead of meeting up with a whole crew for a night out, opt for a romantic dinner for two or see your guy friends one at a time to keep yourself from overdoing it.
Comfort foods earn a spot in our hearts because they taste good and evoke strong, pleasant memories of growing up. Although it's OK to indulge in one of these classics once in awhile, you may want to cut down on the number of moms recipes in your weekly roundup. According to an analysis of 30 years of data by the London School of Economics, the traditional meals your parents and grandparents used to make are simply too caloric for our less-active generation. Instead, dont be afraid to venture out of your comfort zone and check out healthier recipes: start with these 20 Healthy Sandwich Recipes!
It can seem like a simple fix when youre going on a diet, but dont fall prey to these marketing ploys. Diet foods are usually loaded with artificial sugars like sucralose and aspartame. Although artificially sweetened beverages contain fewer calories than sugary versions, a new review of more than 30 years of studies found there to be no solid evidence that sugar-free alternatives prevent weight gain. Although artificially sweetened beverages contain fewer calories than sugary versions, researchers say they still trigger sweet receptors in the brain, which may make people crave food. Coupled with the fact that most people view diet drinks as healthier, it could lead to over-consumption, the researchers argue.
You already know that restaurant dishes are high in calories, but were not just talking about takeout. A study published in the journal BMJ Open found that most food Americans eat is "ultra-processed," which means a product is made of several processed ingredients like flavors, colors, sweeteners, emulsifiers and other additives to disguise its undesirable qualities. Examples include store-bought items like bread, frozen meals, soda, pizza, and breakfast cereals. Not only do ultra-processed foods lack nutrients that protect against health issues, they make up 90 percent of our added-sugar intake, which causes a range of health issues from obesity to type II diabetes. Sub out a Lean Cuisine for a home-cooked dinner, a bowl of cereal or a couple of eggs overeasy to spare your tummy the trouble.
How many times have you battled through a cup of ice cream while praying your stomach doesnt start acting up? Although you might feel like its not a big deal to push your body to its limit, you might be missing the root of the issue: you could be suffering from a food intolerance or allergy. So, each time you eat dairy, gluten or refined grains, it can contribute to extra inflammation, a weakened immune system and weight gain. Learn to listen to what your body tells you by keeping note of any discomfort in a food journal. Or try an elimination dietcall in the pros for help if youre experiencing one of these 15 Signs You Should Go See a Nutritionist.
You dont have to keep up with the latest food trends and cook your way through every foodie magazine on the shelves to get lean. In fact, trying to switch up your routine too often can feel tedious and time consuming, which may cause you to abandon your dinner plans and just order high-calorie takeout. Instead, make eating choices easy by finding a few favorite healthy, go-to recipes and stick to them.
Fast food isnt just bad for you because its full of gross additives and chemicals; its also because it's precisely engineered to be eaten as quickly as possible. And thats bad news because you can end up eating more than your body needs to feel full. It takes roughly 20 minutes for your stomach to signal to your brain that youve eaten your fill. Eat your meal at superspeed, and youre more likely to overeat. Our suggestion? Take time to chat with your friends and family while you eat. Put your fork down. Chew slowly. Anything that will extend your meal until the 20 minute mark.
It may not be groundbreaking advice, but its tried and true: portion control saves you hundreds of calories in the long run. Ordering your favorite latte in a tall size instead of a venti can save you at least 150 calories per Starbucks run. Want more simple ways to stick to serving sizes? Check out these 18 Easy Ways to Control Your Portion Sizes.
Heres another reason to skip the gym: not only do studies show your body burns more calories when you exercise outdoors compared to indoors, but an Environmental Science & Technology study recently found that youre also more likely to report a greater sense of pleasure, enthusiasm, and self-esteem and lower sense of depression, tension, and fatigue simply by walking in nature compared to on a dreary treadmill. Of course, its a bonus that youre burning more calories, but Cornell researchers have also found that improving your mental health and mood can lead to healthier food choices.
Were huge proponents of family dinners, but make sure to plate your home-cooked meals before sitting at the table. When you dine buffet-style from the counter rather than laying out each dish on the dining room table, it causes people to think twice about whether they really need another helping before getting up to serve themselves again. When the food is right in front of their plate and within reach, its much harder to turn it away, and family dinners could turn into one of the 50 Little Things Making You Fatter and Fatter.
Thats all the time it takes to blend up a Zero Belly Smoothiea unique mix of super nutrients that will flatten your gut, boost your metabolism, heal your digestive system, and turn off your fat genes for good. Buy Zero Belly Smoothies today!
30 Easy Ways to Lose Weight ... - Eat This, Not That!
- Weight Loss: Follow THESE tips that are backed by research to shed extra kilos - PINKVILLA - May 14th, 2020
- How to lose weight like this Delhi guy who lost 26 kgs via intermittent fasting & tweaking his daily routine - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 21st, 2019
- 11 Easy ways For Teens To Lose Weight - November 8th, 2019
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight Naturally | Reader's Digest - October 2nd, 2019
- 15 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast With Healthy Lifestyle ... - April 14th, 2019
- How to Lose Weight Fast: 5 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Quickly - March 31st, 2019
- 9 Simple Ways To Lose Weight Quickly For Teenagers - March 16th, 2019
- 50 Easy Ways to Lose Weight | Reader's Digest - March 13th, 2019
- 5 Easy Ways to Lose Weight, 20 Minutes at a Time ... - October 16th, 2018
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Easy (NO EXERCISE ... - YouTube - April 25th, 2018
- 7 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Over 35 - 40 Day MAX Fat Burn - March 2nd, 2018
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Without Starving | Men's Health - December 7th, 2017
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight! - youtube.com - November 24th, 2017
- 10 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast - YouTube - November 24th, 2017
- Diets that promise easy ways to lose weight and treatments to get your neck into shape are put to the test - The Sun - September 4th, 2017
- How to Determine Your Body Weight Set Points - Beliefnet - August 3rd, 2017
- 10 easy ways to lose weight and maintain it - Ridge Times - June 8th, 2017
- 10 easy ways to lose weight - WebMD Boots - May 31st, 2017
- Australian nutritionist shares six easy ways to lose weight without dieting - NEWS.com.au (blog) - May 8th, 2017
- 40 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Without Dieting - Into Fitness - May 5th, 2017
- 21 Surprising and Easy Ways to Lose Weight | The Active Times - April 2nd, 2017
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast | Eat This Not That - February 20th, 2017
- 34 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast - BuzzFeed News - February 18th, 2017
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight - calories and weight loss calculator - December 3rd, 2016
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight - YouTube - November 3rd, 2015
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Easy (NO EXERCISE) - Weight ... - September 25th, 2015
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight | Women's Health Magazine - August 1st, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Full Meal Plan to Lose Weight How To Lose Weight Fas 10Tips for Fast - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 10 EASY Ways to Lose Weight & Get Healthy! Weight Loss Tips, How to Diet, Food, Best Diet - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight HSGYQ7cICNY Tips to Lose Weight - Video - April 30th, 2015
- How To Lose Weigh FAST 8 Easy Ways to Lose Weight FAST LEhOS5KdxKs Weight Loss for Men & Women - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 10 easy ways to lose weight EwoTl3EhIF0 Best Diet - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Lose Weight - And That Keep the Weight Off - Video - April 18th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Tips - Video - April 18th, 2015
- Lose Weight | Easy Ways To Lose Weight Tips - Video - April 13th, 2015
- How To lose Weight Fast? 10 Easy ways to lose weight quickly? - Video - April 10th, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight - Garcinia Cambogia - Video - April 10th, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Naturally - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Green tea easy ways to lose weight fast! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast Desperate Man Loses 20 Lbs Of Fat With Amazing Diet Secrets - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Easy ways to lose weight - weight reduction - Video - April 1st, 2015
- Green tea 5 easy ways to lose weight! - Video - April 1st, 2015
- 7 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Shopping - Video - March 31st, 2015
- How to lose weight fast quick and easy ways to lose weight! - Video - March 31st, 2015
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight /Effective Weight Loss / Lose Weight Fast - Video - March 24th, 2015
- 10 EASY WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT WITH 3 WEEK DIET IN 21 DAYS - Video - March 24th, 2015
- Incredible Easy Ways To Lose Weight - Video - March 23rd, 2015
- 7 Easy Ways to Lose Weight ~Tips/Tricks - Video - March 22nd, 2015
- Best Weight Loss Tips From Special Nutrition - Easy Ways to Lose Weight - Video - March 22nd, 2015
- Weight loss - The Venus Factor - Video - March 12th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight After Having A Baby How It Work - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding How It Work - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Without Working Out How It Work - Video - March 7th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Without Spending Money How It Work - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Easy ways to lose weight in a week - Video - March 4th, 2015
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Easy - weight loss program - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Easy ways to lose weight for teenagers - Video - February 12th, 2015
- 10 EASY Ways to Lose Weight & Get Healthy! Weight Loss Tips, How to Diet, Food, Health Coach YouTu - Video - February 8th, 2015
- Beginner 15 Minute Workout - Video - January 23rd, 2015
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight Katie's Testimonial about Proactol Natural Slimming Pills - Video - January 21st, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways to Lose Weight | Fat Loss | AJ Odudu - Video - January 4th, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways To Lose Weight [Tips For Weight Loss] - Video - December 16th, 2014
- 10 Tips To Lose Your Weight - Video - December 4th, 2014
- 8 Easy Ways to Lose Weight - Video - November 28th, 2014
- How to lose weight - The healthy way HQ | #Weight Loss Tips And tricks - Video - November 28th, 2014
- 3 easy ways to lose weight fast - Video - November 27th, 2014
- Lose weight without starving yourself -10 easy ways to lose weight without starving yourself - Video - November 14th, 2014
- 10 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast - Video - November 12th, 2014
- How To Lose Weight Fast - Lose Belly Fat with Garcinia Cambogia - Video - November 5th, 2014
- 9 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast Without Workout - Video - November 3rd, 2014
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight After Having A Baby - Video - October 30th, 2014
- 10 EASY Ways to Lose Weight & Get Healthy! Give Guidelines to Take Nutrition Part 1 - Video - October 18th, 2014
- How To Lose Weigh FAST: 8 Easy Ways to Lose Weight FAST - Video - August 9th, 2014
- HOW LOSE WEIGHT FAST & EASY,EASY WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT,WEIGHT LOSE PROGRAM, - Video - July 31st, 2014
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight In A Month - Video - July 16th, 2014
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight REVEALED With Pure Acai Berry - You MUST SEE This - Video - July 7th, 2014
- 7 Easy Ways To Lose Weight - Video - July 6th, 2014
- Inspirational Fitness Model | Easy Ways To Lose Weight - Video - July 5th, 2014
- Smoothie Diet Weight Loss Results, Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast, - Video - July 2nd, 2014
- 5 EASY WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT | CARLYROWENA - Video - June 29th, 2014