Created for Greatist by the experts at Healthline. Read more
More gym foe than fan? Thats fine! You can lose weight without hitting the weights or even worse doing cardio.
With the new year (and new decade) upon us, you may be looking to shed a few pounds in a flash. Rest assured your resolutions are 100 percent achievable. You just need a few common-sense tips and tricks in your back pocket.
Going all Dyson on your plate is never a good idea. Meals arent a race, so slow the heck down. Your brain cant keep up. Seriously: Eating more slowly has been shown to decrease calorie intake and make people feel full. Talk about a win-win.
So take time to chew. If youre a habitual speed-eater, counting the number of times you chew each bite can help you get into the habit of pacing your meals.
Cooking isnt just a great way to impress a date. It can also work wonders on your waistline, not to mention your wallet. In fact, people who eat in more often tend to eat healthier and eat less than those who dine out.
It makes sense: When youre the one behind the stove, youre in control of what goes on your plate. You dont have to be a top chef to whip up something tasty, and you can enjoy a restaurant meal from time to time. Just try to eat more meals at home than you do out.
While weight is more than just a number, the scale doesnt lie. Daily weigh-ins have been proven to help people lose weight and keep it off.
That being said, dont fret over daily fluctuations. Hormones, water retention, or eating too much salt can raise the number from time to time.
If youre going to weigh yourself every day, aim to do it first thing in the morning before youve eaten. Consistency is key to accurately tracking your progress.
While its fine to snack here and there, it can easily get out of hand. If youre a serial snacker, try announcing your snacks.
It may sound weird, but telling yourself or someone else youre going to have a snack will make you stop and consider the number of times you nosh every day and what youre noshing on.
Portion size isnt the only size you want to keep an eye on if youre trying to lose weight. Its worth noting that over the years, the average dinner plate has increased in size, and so has the average persons weight.
This isnt a coincidence. In fact, eating off smaller plates can trick your brain into thinking youre eating more than you actually are, which can be especially helpful with desserts and less healthy foods.
While some fad diets may have impressive results in the short term, theyre notoriously difficult and sometimes dangerous to maintain. And for what its worth, they make the least interesting conversation topics no one wants to hear about your juice cleanse.
Youre much better off applying simple (and sane) everyday changes to the way you eat for long-term success.
Protein-rich foods arent just delicious, they also have a potent effect on keeping the hangries at bay and curbing your overall appetite. Thats partly because protein affects certain key hunger and fullness hormones like GLP-1 and ghrelin.
Some research has found that eating protein in the morning can be especially helpful when it comes to managing your appetite throughout the day, so try swapping your oatmeal for eggs.
In short, fiber keeps you feeling full. And for weight loss, one type reigns supreme: viscous fiber. When it comes in contact with water, this magical stuff forms a gel that slows down stomach emptying and gives your body more time to absorb nutrients.
Viscous fiber is found in plant foods only. Try adding some more of this rock-star fiber to your diet with foods like brussels sprouts, oranges, beans, flaxseeds, and asparagus.
Not all bacteria are created equal, especially in your gut. Researchers are just beginning to understand the role of microbiota (gut bacteria) in weight and metabolism function, but some recent research links obesity with an imbalance of certain bacterial strains.
While taking a probiotic is no silver bullet for weight loss, it certainly cant hurt. Plus, probiotics can boost your overall health and immunity. You can try taking a probiotic supplement or eating fermented foods like yogurt and miso.
The three rules of real estate also apply to losing weight: location, location, location. Keeping unhealthy foods out of sight also keeps them out of your mouth.
In one study, people who lived in households that kept high calorie foods visible were more likely to weigh more than those who lived in homes where only a bowl of fruit was on display. So, clean house and hide your treats!
Adequate sleep is essential to weight loss (and for lots of other reasons!).
Failing to get your beauty rest can do a number on appetite-regulating hormones like leptin and ghrelin. Fluctuations in these hormones can make you hungry and make you crave unhealthy foods all the more reason to hit snooze.
Finding your bliss can also help you find your goal weight. Like lack of sleep, chronic stress can throw a wrench in your hormonal balance. Plus, many of us tend to cope with stress by eating comfort food thats probably not the healthiest.
Yoga, meditation, and breathing exercises are all simple and reliable ways to help keep your stress levels in check.
It goes without saying that water should be your beverage of choice even if youre not trying to lose weight. But water can work wonders on your waistline, especially if you drink some before chowing down.
Research has shown that downing two glasses of water 30 minutes before a meal can reduce hunger and overall calorie intake.
The harsh truth is that portion sizes arent what they used to be. Theyre MUCH bigger, especially in restaurants.
Putting more on your plate can lead to overeating and weight gain, but that doesnt mean you have to starve. Just be mindful and serve yourself a bit less than you would normally. You wont miss the extra calories.
As tempting as it might be to binge-watch your favorite show while going to town on your favorite meal, its best to minimize distractions while eating if youre trying to lose weight.
If youre not mindful of whats going into your mouth, youre much more likely to overeat. One study found that people consumed 10 percent more if they were distracted during their meals.
If you regularly use social media or watch TV while eating, try to go screen-free.
The link between vitamin D and weight loss isnt crystal clear, but folks in larger bodies tend to have lower levels of vitamin D in their blood. Even more interestingly, people who lose weight tend to experience an increase in vitamin D.
Some research suggests that supplementing with vitamin D can aid weight loss and fat burning. Whether you take a supplement, catch some sun, or eat vitamin D-rich foods, this vitamin comes with the added benefits of stronger bones and increased immunity.
Sugary beverages and soda are nutritionally useless and calorie-dense. These things should be the first thing to go if youre looking to lose some weight. Try replacing these drinks with water.
Odd as it may seem, some research has found that eating food off red plates can help people eat less. This color bias may be due to the fact that many warning and stop signals are red. Whatever the reason, its worth a try, especially when eating less-healthy foods.
Too often we eat with everything but our stomachs. We eat with our eyes and sometimes our emotions. As a result, we dont always stop when were satisfied but rather when were borderline exploding.
Practicing mindful eating means staying present at meals and snacks and listening to your bodys internal cues and cravings. The next time you sit down to eat, slow down and really pay attention to how you feel throughout your meal.
Shared family meals have be found to encourage healthy eating habits that influence long-term nutritional health.
That being said, there are all kinds of families, and certain familial situations are anything but healthy. With those variables in mind, eating in good company is always a good idea.
Healthy fats are your friend when youre trying to lose weight. Unsaturated fats (found in fish, nuts, avocados, and olive oil) and even some saturated fats (like those in butter and coconut) keep you feeling full longer and help you absorb certain vitamins.
That doesnt mean you should go ham on fats, but you definitely shouldnt avoid them. The only fats you should really steer clear of, whether you want to lose weight or not, are chemically processed trans fats.
Preparing your meals in advance, at least partially, can help streamline your cooking process and your waistline. Lets face it: Life and work come at you fast, and you dont always have the time or energy to shop for and cook a meal from scratch.
Instead, try to get to the grocery store once or twice a week and prepare parts of your meals in advance, like cooking several portions of rice or grilling a few pieces of chicken. That way you can grab, go, and reheat as needed.
While breaking a sweat may be great for your health, you dont necessarily need to exercise to lose a few pounds. Making simple, sustainable changes to your habits will pave the yellow brick road to success no membership fee required.
- Weight Loss Transformation Heather Gomez Run to Lose Weight - runnersworld.com - September 25th, 2020
- 7 Benefits of Exercise (Other Than Weight-Loss) Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - September 25th, 2020
- Eating Healthy Is More Important Than Weight Loss for Heart Health - Healthline - September 25th, 2020
- HIIT along with rowing and cycling can help type 2 d..etes patients lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity - Firstpost - September 25th, 2020
- 14 Simple And Effective Tips To Lose Weight After Pregnancy - Yahoo India News - September 25th, 2020
- The 3 Most Common Things People Get Wrong About Weight Loss, and How to Avoid Them - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 25th, 2020
- Why its hard to lose weight when you have PCOS - All4Women - September 25th, 2020
- Weight loss customized for the one-and-only YOU - KING5.com - September 25th, 2020
- What is diabetes? A comprehensive guide to lower blood sugar and manage the condition - Insider - INSIDER - September 25th, 2020
- RHONJs Margaret Josephs shows off amazing weight loss in skintight white lace dress at the beach with h - The Sun - September 25th, 2020
- World's most obese man shed nearly 400 kilos, went on to beat Covid-19 - Mexico News Daily - September 25th, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in a skintight gown on Monte Carlo getaway with boyfriend Jacob - The Irish Sun - September 25th, 2020
- Stroud chef: from 26 stone to Cotswold 113 half Ironman - Stroud News and Journal - September 25th, 2020
- Having a Seizure Inspired Rick Ross' Weight Loss Transformation - menshealth.com - September 20th, 2020
- Lockdown weight loss story: I lost 14 kilos in just 2.5 months with my husbands support! - Times of India - September 20th, 2020
- Keto Diet For Weight Loss: 5 Side Effects That Signal You Need To Quit This Diet Instantly - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- Carbs Or Calories: What Should You Focus On For Weight Loss? Experts Reveal - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- How Long Does It Really Take to Lose Belly Fluff? - Greatist - September 20th, 2020
- Phil Mickelson reveals the 2 secrets behind his weight loss transformation - Golf.com - September 20th, 2020
- Kelly Clarkson Once Got Candid about Weight-Loss Tips Photos before & after Her Transformation - AmoMama - September 20th, 2020
- 5 lifestyle habits that are increasing your numbers on the weighing scale - TheHealthSite - September 20th, 2020
- 'I Did An F45 Training Challenge Ahead Of My Wedding And Got In The Best Shape Of My Life' - Women's Health - September 20th, 2020
- Holly Madison, 'Girls Next Door' Star, Shows off Dramatic Transformation 4 Years After Giving Birth to Second Child - PopCulture.com - September 20th, 2020
- Which Aids Better In Weight Loss- Fish Or Chicken? Expert Reveals - NDTV - September 20th, 2020
- 22 effective tips to lose belly fat, according to experts - Netdoctor - September 20th, 2020
- 5 Metabolism boosting teas to aid you in shedding extra pounds - PINKVILLA - September 20th, 2020
- Coping with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic - KENS5.com - September 20th, 2020
- Mama Junes daughter Pumpkin, 20, shows off slimmer waist in crop top after vowing to lose weight - The Sun - September 20th, 2020
- She has overcome anorexia - and dancer has now warned of government's 'dangerous' plan to tackle obesity - Manchester Evening News - September 20th, 2020
- A new routine to lose the Covid stone - Leitrim Observer - September 20th, 2020
- Want to get big arms and improve grip? This 3-move kettlebell arm workout is what you need - T3 - September 20th, 2020
- Walking to lose weight: how long, how many steps a day, at what pace ... All you need to know - POP TIMES UK - September 12th, 2020
- What is the CICO diet? All about the calories-in-calories-out diet - TODAY - September 12th, 2020
- Psoriatic Arthritis-Friendly Weight Loss Tips - Everyday Health - September 12th, 2020
- He wanted to join the US Army but wasn't fit. So he lost over 100 pounds. - yoursun.com - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss: The War on Fat | ITV News - ITV News - September 12th, 2020
- Weight loss is key to type 2 diabetes prevention and reversal - Diabetes.co.uk - September 12th, 2020
- Five ways to reduce the calories in your favourite takeaway meal - MyLondon - September 12th, 2020
- Go Kyung Pyo explains the reason for his dramatic weight difference in two photos - allkpop - September 12th, 2020
- How to live longer: The 55p item that may lower risk of early death from cancer - Express - September 12th, 2020
- I Had a Heart Attack at 49, Went Vegan, and It Saved my Life - The Beet - September 12th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How High Knees Exercise Can Help You Lose Body Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 12th, 2020
- Veteran-Owned Battle Bars Honor Local Patriot Heroes with Every Purchase - Small Business Trends - September 12th, 2020
- Longbenton grandmother drops eight dress sizes after 'hating' what she saw in photos - Chronicle Live - September 12th, 2020
- At 82, My Grandmother Has Lost Her Husband And The World As She Knows It - BuzzFeed News - September 12th, 2020
- Trying to Lose Weight? Here are 6 Proteins to Enjoy and 3 to Avoid - LIVESTRONG.COM - September 8th, 2020
- Nutrisystem Launches Innovative Partner Plan to Encourage and Help Maintain Weight Loss - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2020
- Losing Weight as a Couple Is the Secret to Shedding Pounds, Study Finds - Best Life - September 8th, 2020
- Jennifer Aniston was asked to lose weight if she wanted to stay on Friends - The News International - September 8th, 2020
- Piers Morgan says he needs to be 'shamed' into losing weight as he defends Kevin Pieterson's comments - Evening Standard - September 8th, 2020
- How to live longer: The fermented vegetable proven to reduce risk of early death - Express - September 8th, 2020
- Long Beach Poly's Ashton Sylve Wins Professional Boxing Debut - The562.org - September 8th, 2020
- How metformin works and why it's effective for type 2 diabetes - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- The 18 Unhealthiest Breads on the Planet - Yahoo Lifestyle - September 8th, 2020
- Consumers Turn to Plant-Based Foods During the Pandemic - The Beet - September 8th, 2020
- Mikey Moon's health and fitness column: 'Miracles' too good to be true - Blackpool Gazette - September 8th, 2020
- Why sleep is so important for losing weight - The Conversation UK - September 5th, 2020
- How to lose weight: 71-year-old loses 62 pounds in 6 months - TODAY - September 5th, 2020
- Weight loss diet plan: 2 nutritionists share the ideal Indian diet plan to lose weight - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Losing weight with detox teas - Popular choices, health benefits and side effects - Times Now - September 5th, 2020
- My Mother-in-Law Told My 12-Year Old to Lose Weight and Fix Her Face - Slate - September 5th, 2020
- 5 Easy Ways to Detox in the Morning to Be Healthier All Day Long - The Beet - September 5th, 2020
- National Nutrition Week: Coconut oil can help you lose weight, build immunity and also get great skin... - Hindustan Times - September 5th, 2020
- Breastfeeding can help you lose pregnancy weight. Here's how - Times of India - September 5th, 2020
- Redditch councillor hoping his weight loss will also be his gain - Redditch Standard - September 5th, 2020
- Prairie Fare: Have You Avoided the 'Pandemic 15'? - Pierce County Tribune - September 5th, 2020
- After losing Brandon Williams, here's what the Arizona Wildcats' 2021 roster looks like - Arizona Daily Star - September 5th, 2020
- Weight Loss Tip of the Week: How Spiderman Plank Exercise Can Help You Lose Belly Fat (Watch Video) - LatestLY - September 5th, 2020
- North-east care home given a month to make improvements after inspectors find residents are losing weight and at increased risk of falling - Press and... - September 5th, 2020
- RLC Labs, Inc., Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Nature-Throid and WP Thyroid with Current Expiry Due to Sub Potency - FDA.gov - September 5th, 2020
- Woman who lost four stone to get healthy found out she had a rare form of cancer - Belfast Live - September 5th, 2020
- I thought battling an eating disorder during an election year was tough. I had no idea how grueling recovery during a pandemic would be - CNN - September 5th, 2020
- Some of the worst nursing homes in the country are waitlisted for extra oversight - WKYT - September 5th, 2020
- Chadwick Boseman Gave 'Thoughtful Response' About Weight Loss Without Revealing Cancer Battle - International Business Times - September 3rd, 2020
- Heres how can you eat carbs and still lose weight - PINKVILLA - September 3rd, 2020
- Rebel Wilson shows off 40-pound weight loss in sexy $1,700 Gucci dress - The Sun - September 3rd, 2020
- Size 22 woman told she was too fat to conceive now has two kids - Metro.co.uk - September 3rd, 2020
- Secret weapon for dieters: Consuming your own fecal microbiome may help keep off the pounds - Study Finds - September 3rd, 2020
- You've heard of dieting, but what about reverse dieting? - The Independent - September 3rd, 2020
- The danger of obesity and coronavirus - centraljersey.com - September 3rd, 2020