If you love a bargain and you love healthy eating (or you need some inspiration), this list is for you! Registered dietitians who happen to be regular Costco shoppers weighed in with their favorite Costco finds. Along with rotisserie chicken (a weeknight staple for many), value-priced nuts, affordable fresh produce and milk, here are 16 nutritionist-approved picks our experts swear by. Youre going to want to add these finds to your next Costco haul.
Wild blueberries are filled with polyphenols and antioxidants, but setting aside the health properties, they also taste sweet, juicy and delicious, so its no surprise dietitians stock up. I like to keep a big bag in the freezer so Ill always have them on hand for oatmeal, smoothies and pancakes, even in the middle of winter, says Karen Ansel, RD, author of Healing Superfoods for Anti-Aging.
Can you see a theme here? Frozen fruits (and veggies) are just as nutritious as fresh, says Chelsey Amer, RD, New York City-based nutritionist and author of "Thrive in 5". Integrative and culinary dietitian, Marisa Moore goes for a big bag of these dark cherries at a cant-beat price. Though its an obvious winter pick (when cherries are out of season), she buys them in the summer, too, because, the cherries are pitted and ready to use!
If youre on the fence about cauliflower rice, this might just get you across the line. Microwavable cauliflower rice takes the prep work and mess out of the meal time equation, explains Jamie Lee McIntyre, RD. Cauliflower rice increases the volume of food on your plate for fewer calories and carbs, she says, which helps you increase your serving size and boost your veggie intake for a fraction of the calories. To try this strategy, McIntyre suggests adding cauliflower rice to a bowl of mashed potatoes or cup of rice.
Kelsey Stricklen, RD, at Root Functional Medicine in Grand Rapids, MI, is a fan of the frozen veggies at Costco, but her top pick is the broccoli. Im convinced Costco has THE best frozen broccoli, she says. Liz Shaw, Nutrition Expert and Author at Shaw Simple Swaps, is another raving fan! Convenience is king in my house and these frozen broccoli florets constantly deliver a delicious, high-quality product without sacrificing any nutrition. What makes this bag of broccoli a top pick is that its mostly florets, not stalks.
Stricklen says that keeping a stash of frozen veggies means that no matter what else is going on, you can always ensure you have a balanced plate. At my house, these staples come in handy, not only when Im throwing together dinner, but when we order takeout or delivery, which is often light in produce. Because frozen veggies are already prepped, our veggies are ready to eat before we set the table.
Amy Gorin, RDN, a plant-forward registered dietitian nutritionist in the New York City area keeps this salad stocked in her fridge for easy meals. Plus, its tasty and colorful enough to use when entertaining. A friend actually asked me for the recipe once, and she was so shocked that it's a bagged salad! I love crunch in my salads, so the combo of cruciferous veggies like broccoli and Brussels sprouts is the perfect compliment to the roasted pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries. You get a lot of filling fiber in this salad! If Im eating it for a meal, Ill often add in a couple of hardboiled eggs and pair with a piece of whole-grain toast or a small handful of whole-grain crackers for an easy lunch or dinner.
Whether serving guests or keeping weekdays simple, Lauren Harris-Pincus, RDN, founder of NutritionStarringYOU.com and author of The Protein-Packed Breakfast Club recommends this Costco find. This whole turkey breast is delicious and costs less than half the price of supermarket deli turkey. It stays moist because you only slice it as you need it and you can choose to cut thicker or thinner pieces depending on how you wish to use it.
This product is a super easy way to get 100 percent pure egg whites without having to waste any yolks, says Harris-Pincus. Though its considered unsafe to eat raw egg whites, this carton is pasteurized so you can incorporate them safely into smoothies, raw cookie dough or any other uncooked recipe, she explains.
Get the better newsletter.
Harris-Pincus describes this staple as a blank canvas to take almost any dish from savory to sweet. Need some ideas? She suggests using the yogurt to replace fat when baking, adding it to smoothies to boost protein, or to replace sour cream in entrees.
Hardly any of us eat the two weekly servings of fish that are recommended for heart health, says Ansel, who offers this solution: Canned salmon is such an easy way to squeeze in a serving, plus its packed with good-for-you omega-3 fats so its a great alternative to tuna.
The frozen salmon burgers are a lifesaver around my house! says Rochelle Davies, RD, of Love Nurture Nourish. They go from the freezer to skillet (or grill pan) to plate in about 10 minutes flat. The short cook time helps us on sports nights when were short on time or nights when ravenous kids are quickly headed to the hangry stage, she says.
This lunchbox-sized pick is an ideal choice because, not only do they taste great, but the individually-portioned packs are perfectly portable. Plus, Melissa Nieves, RD, founder of Fad Free Nutrition Blog adds that because theyre individually sealed, they don't spoil as easily as a bigger tub of guacamole. Amer likes that they're full of healthy fats and make delicious and nutritious snacking easy.
If you dont envision your family getting through these minis before the expiration date, you can always stash them in the freezer. Theyll thaw beautifully in a lunch box or under warm, running water.
I adore almond butter but it's so expensive! says, Nieves. This one from Costco is 27 oz and costs around $9, which is what a smaller tub costs at a regular supermarket. Sports dietitian and creator of the Fit Fueling course for active women, Kelly Jones, RD, also recommends this pick. I find this one to be creamy from the top to the bottom of the jar, while also being more economical.
Heres a meal prep short cut you can feel really good about. Each cup has 8 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber, which is a significant bump from plain rice, says Jones, who explains that the nutrients in this whole grain dish can help improve feelings of fullness.
Taylor Sutton, RD, stocks up on these healthy loaves at Costco. We try to change up our weekly sandwich routine so freezing it in half loaves is a great option when you buy this bread in bulk, she says. Freezing bread is like pushing the pause button so it wont get moldy or stale.
Bargain hunters will appreciate the excellent value when buying these crackers at Costco (only $8.99 for a huge box with 2 bags inside), according to Stricklen. I love these crackers because they are made with nutrient dense ingredients, are lower in carbohydrates than many other crackers, and are great for people with gluten-sensitivity since they are gluten-free. You can dip them in nut butter, hummus or guacamole for a snack or add some healthy carbs with your lunch by dipping them in tuna salad, she says.
Everyone loves a deal, and everyone loves maple syrup, so this topped the list for many RDs. Its true that sugar is sugar, whether its maple syrup or cane sugar, but I find a little bit goes a long way with pure maple syrup (so I end up using less sweetener), explains Stricklen.
Want more tips like these? NBC News BETTER is obsessed with finding easier, healthier and smarter ways to live. Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Top Reasons Why Spinach Is One Of The Healthiest Leafy Greens - Doctor NDTV - July 3rd, 2020
- Veteran choreographer Saroj Khan dies of cardiac arrest; here is a brief health explainer - Times of India - July 3rd, 2020
- Intermittent Fasting Part 1: How It Helps You Lose Weight and What are the Different Ways to Do It - News18 - July 3rd, 2020
- Lizzo Shared What She Typically Eats In a Day As a New Vegan - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 3rd, 2020
- Six small things we're looking forward to on Super Saturday - Telegraph.co.uk - July 3rd, 2020
- Stop worrying about bread, nutritionists say the toppings you put on your carbs are more likely to influence - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- The COVID-19 threat is here for the foreseeable future. As cities reopen, protecting passengers on public tran - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Integrity is everything - The Bookseller - July 1st, 2020
- Wellbeing Wednesdays Podcast: What are the Social Determinants of Health? - The Daily Athenaeum - thedaonline - July 1st, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - The Auto Channel - July 1st, 2020
- Kindness of others inspires woman to lose nine stone in just two years - Mirror Online - July 1st, 2020
- Apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss here's what the research says - Business Insider India - July 1st, 2020
- Weight loss: Woman shrunk from a size 16 to a size 12 in lockdown following this easy diet - Express - June 30th, 2020
- 12 Tips For Fasting Diets - How To Do Intermittent Fasting ... - June 30th, 2020
- What's Chlorella? 10 Health Benefits, How to Use It & More - Greatist - June 30th, 2020
- Fans stunned by UFC legend Frankie Edgars body transformation as he shows off ripped physique with just 1 - talkSPORT.com - June 30th, 2020
- 5 precautions you should take when waxing your pubic hair, according to the doctor behind 'The Vagina Bible' - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Are you getting enough protein and fibre? - Australian Hospital + Healthcare Bulletin - June 30th, 2020
- Coronavirus Update: Air Canada cutting 30 domestic routes and closing operations at eight regional airports - The Globe and Mail - June 30th, 2020
- Nutrition for eye health - Washington Daily News - thewashingtondailynews.com - June 30th, 2020
- 'Our Time of Personal Responsibility': In Today's Media Availability, Public Health Officer Talks About California's Case Spike, COVID in Kids and... - June 30th, 2020
- Continuing the fascinating story of Bettys War as husband Harry returns safely - Stoke-on-Trent Live - June 30th, 2020
- La Septima Caf Adapts With Family Meals And A Thriving To-Go Business - Osprey Observer - June 30th, 2020
- Dr Punam Krishan: Here are my tips on how to keep safe in the summer sun summer - Glasgow Times - June 30th, 2020
- This July is Bound to Be a Wiener - PerishableNews - June 30th, 2020
- How the explosive YouTube war between James Charles and Tati Westbrook brought the value of vitamin supplement - Business Insider India - June 30th, 2020
- Bomb squad raid in Bingley linked to toxic diet pill - Bradford Telegraph and Argus - June 30th, 2020
- Study: Women Are Less Attracted to Men Who Have Cats In Their Dating Profile Pics - Mental Floss - June 30th, 2020
- We Need A COVID Reality Check: An MD Shares His 5 Reasons Why - mindbodygreen.com - June 30th, 2020
- How To Safely Celebrate The Fourth Of July With Your Baby - BabyGaga - June 25th, 2020
- Feed higher levels of Irish cereals with XL Grain - Agriland - June 25th, 2020
- Vegetarianism: Tapping Into the Meatless Revolution - Visual Capitalist - June 25th, 2020
- Lotus Flower Plague-Repellent Pills and Other Gifts From China - The New York Times - June 25th, 2020
- Best educational toys for kids aged 1 to 5 - goodtoknow - June 25th, 2020
- Living with stones in my body - The Citizen - June 25th, 2020
- Is it safer to fly or drive? 5 health experts weigh in - IOL - June 21st, 2020
- Plant-based nutrition as an alternative to meat - Food Dive - June 21st, 2020
- The Military Diet: Lose 10 Pounds in Just 1 Week? - June 20th, 2020
- Great white shark diet surprises scientists - News - The University of Sydney - June 20th, 2020
- 30 Healthyish Sips, Snacks, And Sauces To Stock Up On This Summer - Forbes - June 20th, 2020
- Experts on what the health risks of flying on a plane right now are - Insider - INSIDER - June 20th, 2020
- Shock as children find python abandoned in woodland - The Northern Echo - June 20th, 2020
- How to Maximise your Performance, Recovery and Health by Optimising your Gut Health - BOXROX - June 20th, 2020
- Is It Safe to Rent an Airbnb or Vacation Home Right Now? - Yahoo! Voices - June 20th, 2020
- Intermittent fasting and exercise: How to do it safely - Medical News Today - June 11th, 2020
- Lifestyle: Easing back into the real world - Worcester Mag - June 11th, 2020
- How to Be Safe at Work - WTOP - June 11th, 2020
- Kokum could be that miracle food to help you burn those calories - Indulgexpress - June 11th, 2020
- Scientists Surprised When They Examine Stomach Contents of Great White Sharks and Find Out What They Really Eat - SciTechDaily - June 11th, 2020
- Bugatti Chiron Pur Sport: The Drivers Bugatti - SlashGear - June 11th, 2020
- Why I'm choosing to wear a bathing suit at home this summer - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 11th, 2020
- Cognizance into Peripheral Interventions Market and it's growth prospects - Cole of Duty - June 11th, 2020
- Families who eat together have better eating habits - Free Malaysia Today - June 9th, 2020
- 5 reasons to add flaxseed to your diet - Arab News - June 9th, 2020
- Gemma Collins looks unrecognisable in very slim throwback picture as she reveals battle with PCOS made her g - The Sun - June 9th, 2020
- Alternative and Complementary Treatments for Cancer - HealthCentral.com - June 9th, 2020
- It is a national scandal that children will soon be able to go to Thorpe Park, but not to school - Telegraph.co.uk - June 9th, 2020
- World Food Safety Day: 10 tips to eat safely and healthily during the COVID-19 pandemic - Times Now - June 8th, 2020
- Lose your lockdown love handles in 14 days with this easy diet plan - Mirror Online - June 8th, 2020
- Food Not Bombs Marks 40th Anniversary, A Conversation With Local Co-Founder - 90.3 KAZU - June 8th, 2020
- How to Wash Fruits and Vegetables: A Complete Guide - EcoWatch - June 8th, 2020
- Chin up vs pull up: what's the difference, which muscles are worked and most importantly, WHAT IS THE BEST ONE? - T3 - June 8th, 2020
- Bananas with Milk: A Great Combination or Bad Idea? - Healthline - May 30th, 2020
- Most heated debate this week - should you eat peas for breakfast - Hertfordshire Mercury - May 30th, 2020
- RealEats Recognized by Partnership for a Healthier America as Improving Health and Wellness through Its Innovative "Fresh Meal" Product Line... - May 30th, 2020
- Week 9 of Jacqui and Jim Robbins' self-isolation diary for the Adver - Swindon Advertiser - May 30th, 2020
- Richmond inches toward opening its streets Greater Greater Washington - Greater Greater Washington - May 27th, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis | Early Signs, Causes and Treatment - DrugWatch.com - May 27th, 2020
- Peanuts, eggs and your baby: How to introduce food allergens during the coronavirus pandemic - The Conversation CA - May 27th, 2020
- Hospital chief of staff provides guidance on COVID-19 and the Columbia Valley as we open up - Columbia Valley Pioneer - May 27th, 2020
- How to treat insomnia and get better sleep with self-care, therapy, or medication - Insider - INSIDER - May 27th, 2020
- Reviewing all the sponcon beauty products you definitely shouldnt try - Dazed - May 27th, 2020
- 1,200 calorie diet: Safety and how to do it - May 26th, 2020
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner's Guide to Keto - May 26th, 2020
- Low-carb diet: Can it help you lose weight? - Mayo Clinic - May 26th, 2020
- The Big Gap Of Micronutrients In The Indian Diet - NDTV - May 26th, 2020
- Social Distancing - The Hard Hat of our Time - HeadStuff.org - May 26th, 2020
- Newsletter: What is it like to go through the Aurora COVID-19 testing site? - Kendall County Now - May 26th, 2020
- How The 80/20 Rule Can Save Your Life During The Coronavirus Reopening - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- These Breathtaking Aerial Photos Capture U.S. Farmland Patterns Like You've Never Seen Before - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 26th, 2020