You can barely get through a week of network news without hearing something about Americas obesity epidemic. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, two-thirds of American adults are overweight or obese and our kids are right behind us, as one out of every three kids is now overweight or obese.
Considering such numbers, you might imagine that a large portion of the population is on some kind of diet. And, youd be right: 25% of men and 45% of women in the United States are on a diet on any given day. Were on a crusade to lose weight. However, being overweight and unhealthy can take its toll on our wallets. The American Heart Association has reported that overweight men spend more on prescription drugs that normal-weight men. Other research has determined that overweight and obese adults are less productive, miss more work, and spend far more on medical care than fit adults.
Fortunately, there are many simple ways you can cut calories, expend more energy, and drop pounds without spending a fortune. Thats good news for both your wallet and your waistline.
You might be wondering whether its possible to cut calories without losing flavor but there are plenty of easy ways to do so and still be satisfied.
1. Use Smaller PlatesUsing smaller plates and bowls means theres less space to fill up with food to make your plate look full. With this approach, its likely you could eat 20% less, and chances are youll feel just as full, especially if you eat slow. This also helpsavoid portion distortion.
2. Skip Sodas and JuiceToday, the average American consumes 20% of his or her daily calories through liquids, and unfortunately, many of these are empty calories that come from sodas, coffee beverages, and large juice drinks and smoothies. Stick with water or skim milk to reduce your caloric intake vastly every day. Drinking water regularly throughout the day can help you feel more hydrated as well.
3. Use Cooking SprayUsing cooking spray can cut numerous calories and fat from the food you prepare at home. For instance, you may put two spoonfuls of butter or margarine in a pan when cooking eggs for breakfast. If you switch to cooking spray, you could save 34 calories or more each meal. Over time, this adds up.
4. Skip the DressingInstead of drenching your salad with creamy dressing, use oil (lightly) or vinegar (which is calorie-free). You can save more than 100 calories per salad this way.
5. Trim Your PizzaWhen I order pizza, I get it with extra sauce, and light cheese, which cuts a ton of fat and calories and, in my opinion, makes the pie tastier since its not as greasy and heavy. You can also trim calories by getting toppings such as mushrooms, olives, or other veggies, rather than sausage or pepperoni.
6. Eat Healthy SnacksTheres nothing worse than getting that 3pm urge to snack if it arrives and you are unprepared, you may grab something quick from a vending machine. Most of those foods are high in sugar, sodium, and empty calories.
To refrain from eating junk food, simply keep healthy snacks at your desk. Snacks such as almonds or walnuts, fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grain crackers, and peanut butter are all good choices. Just be sure you watch how much you eat although theyre good for you, nuts are high in calories. Eating more than a handful can add significant calories to your diet.
7. Shop the Perimeter of the Grocery StoreThe outer perimeter of grocery stores is where the healthiest and lowest-calorie foods are located. Here is where youll find foods such as fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs, and yogurt. If you want to cut calories, avoid the middle of the store, where all the processed foods are. Especially avoid the aisles of sodas, chips, and candy.
8. Identify Your TriggersI write from home full-time, and I always used to head down to the kitchen when I was working on a really challenging article. Taking a walk to the kitchen and rummaging through the refrigerator or the cupboards was my way of taking a break. However, all these trips to the kitchen added up to hundreds of extra calories throughout the day. Once I realized what I was doing, I made myself stop. Now when I need a break, I stretch out on the floor in my office or walk around. Unless Im actually hungry, the kitchen is off-limits.
You may be more at risk for mindless eating in the following situations:
Once youve identified when youre most at risk for mindless eating, figure out how to stop thebehavior or avoid the situation altogether. Limit yourself to eating only when you are hungry not as a way to deal with stress or boredom.
While cutting calories is important, getting substantial exercise may be even more crucial if you wish to lose weight. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, research has shown that sedentary adults have a three-fold increased mortality risk when compared to fit adults. Furthermore, it has been proven that the less you exercise, the more at risk you are for certain diseases.
The National Library of Medicine states that most adults need at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise, five times per week. Here are several ways you can squeeze more exercise into your daily routine.
9. Use an Exercise Ball at WorkAs I write this, Im at my desk where I sit for eight hours a day. However, Im not hunched over like a soft potato Im bobbing up and down, rolling around, and balancing. Im also having a lot of fun. This is because I sit on a Gaiam exercise ball all day. According to some experts, using an exercise ball instead of a regular desk chair can help you burn an additional 350 calories per day. Furthermore, your legs, back, and core get toned because youre constantly using them to balance yourself.
Sitting on an exercise ball all day is great I can tell Im getting exercise, and Ive seen anoticeabledifference in my abs and back strength. You can get even more exercise if you sit on the ball as you would a horse with no stirrups. Grip the ball with your thighs, and make sure your feet arent touching the floor. This takes a lot of balance, and requires your stomach to work especially hard at first. You can make it even more challenging by going a minute or more without touching your desk with your hands this is great to do when youre reading. And when you finish work, sit on an exercise ball while watching TV.
10. Follow a DreamHave you always wanted to learn how to surf, rock climb, or belly dance? Do you wish you had the endurance to swim a mile? Would you like to treasure hunt with a metal detector?
The great thing about exercise is that often it doesnt feel like exercise, especially when doing something you have great interest in. If theres an activity youve always wanted to learn, then go do it. It will feel great to fulfill a dream burning extra calories is simply a bonus.
11. Walk at LunchInstead of standing in line at a fast food joint or spending your lunch hour at a restaurant, why not eat a healthy lunch and then go for a walk? You can save a lot of money by bringing lunch to work instead of buying food every day, and you can make much healthier, low-calorie choices.
If your lunch break is short, eat and walk at the same time. Pack a sandwich, an apple, and carrot sticks, all of which are easy to eat while walking.
12. Buy a Push MowerMotor-less push mowers (also called reel mowers) are the mowers most people used 50 years ago they require you to expend energy pushing the mower, rather than relying on gasoline combustion. Using this type of lawnmower is a great way to get additional exercise doing a chore you have to do anyway. Plus, reel mowers save you money since they dont require gasoline and theyre much friendlier to the environment.
13. Sign up for an Athletic Event or LeagueSigning up for a charity run is an excellent way to force yourself to get some exercise plus, you can help raise money for a great cause. If the next charitable fun run wont take place in your area for a while, consider playing a sport. Most towns and cities have adult leagues for a range of sports, such as softball, soccer, kickball, and touch football. Check with the parks and recreation department in your area to see whats available.
If competing isnt your thing, you still have plenty of options. Go for a hike, buy a trampoline, skip rope, or jump on a pogo stick. Break out your old skateboard or roller skates, or hop on a bike. Rediscover activities that you may have once loved, and let yourself feel like a kid again.
14. Become InefficientA major reason Americans get so much less exercise than in years past is that there are tons of gadgets that do all the work we used to. In the name of productivity and efficiency, were getting fat. So, look for ways to be inefficient at home and at work. For instance, when you get water at the office cooler, only fill your glass up halfway. This forces you to go back twice as often for refills. When you have clutter that needs to be put away upstairs, bring up one item at a time instead of coming up with an entire armload. Youll make more trips, and will find that your heart rate increases too.
15. Stop Watching TVThe average American watches more than five hours of television every day. So why not cancel your cable to spend more time doing other things, such as exercising and cooking healthy meals? Even if you cut just 30 minutes to one hour of TV time each night, you can use that time to hit the gym or jog around the neighborhood.
There are countless additional ways you can both cut and burn calories that take little to no effort. For instance:
Statistics show that most Americans try to diet or lose weight at one point or another. However, focusing on long-term health and fitness is a superior approach. Try to make a habit of exercising and eating right not just to lose weight, but also to feel better and live longer. It can be hard at first. In fact, it took years for me to do it in my own life. But now proper nutrition and exercise are always on my mind and part of my routine. Just keep at it, and if you fall off the wagon, pick yourself up and get back on. Its well worth the effort.
What other tips can you suggest to help lose weight?
See the rest here:
15 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast With Healthy Lifestyle ...
- Heres how you can still achieve your fitness goals of 2020 - The Statesman - September 15th, 2020
- Weight Loss: Follow THESE tips that are backed by research to shed extra kilos - PINKVILLA - May 14th, 2020
- How to lose weight like this Delhi guy who lost 26 kgs via intermittent fasting & tweaking his daily routine - GQ India - What a man's got to do - December 21st, 2019
- 11 Easy ways For Teens To Lose Weight - November 8th, 2019
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight Naturally | Reader's Digest - October 2nd, 2019
- How to Lose Weight Fast: 5 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Quickly - March 31st, 2019
- 9 Simple Ways To Lose Weight Quickly For Teenagers - March 16th, 2019
- 50 Easy Ways to Lose Weight | Reader's Digest - March 13th, 2019
- 5 Easy Ways to Lose Weight, 20 Minutes at a Time ... - October 16th, 2018
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Easy (NO EXERCISE ... - YouTube - April 25th, 2018
- 7 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Over 35 - 40 Day MAX Fat Burn - March 2nd, 2018
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Without Starving | Men's Health - December 7th, 2017
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight! - youtube.com - November 24th, 2017
- 10 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast - YouTube - November 24th, 2017
- Diets that promise easy ways to lose weight and treatments to get your neck into shape are put to the test - The Sun - September 4th, 2017
- How to Determine Your Body Weight Set Points - Beliefnet - August 3rd, 2017
- 10 easy ways to lose weight and maintain it - Ridge Times - June 8th, 2017
- 10 easy ways to lose weight - WebMD Boots - May 31st, 2017
- Australian nutritionist shares six easy ways to lose weight without dieting - NEWS.com.au (blog) - May 8th, 2017
- 40 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Without Dieting - Into Fitness - May 5th, 2017
- 30 Easy Ways to Lose Weight ... - Eat This, Not That! - April 22nd, 2017
- 21 Surprising and Easy Ways to Lose Weight | The Active Times - April 2nd, 2017
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast | Eat This Not That - February 20th, 2017
- 34 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast - BuzzFeed News - February 18th, 2017
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight - calories and weight loss calculator - December 3rd, 2016
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight - YouTube - November 3rd, 2015
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Easy (NO EXERCISE) - Weight ... - September 25th, 2015
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight | Women's Health Magazine - August 1st, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Full Meal Plan to Lose Weight How To Lose Weight Fas 10Tips for Fast - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 10 EASY Ways to Lose Weight & Get Healthy! Weight Loss Tips, How to Diet, Food, Best Diet - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight HSGYQ7cICNY Tips to Lose Weight - Video - April 30th, 2015
- How To Lose Weigh FAST 8 Easy Ways to Lose Weight FAST LEhOS5KdxKs Weight Loss for Men & Women - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 10 easy ways to lose weight EwoTl3EhIF0 Best Diet - Video - April 30th, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Lose Weight - And That Keep the Weight Off - Video - April 18th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Tips - Video - April 18th, 2015
- Lose Weight | Easy Ways To Lose Weight Tips - Video - April 13th, 2015
- How To lose Weight Fast? 10 Easy ways to lose weight quickly? - Video - April 10th, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways to Lose Weight - Garcinia Cambogia - Video - April 10th, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Naturally - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Green tea easy ways to lose weight fast! - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast Desperate Man Loses 20 Lbs Of Fat With Amazing Diet Secrets - Video - April 2nd, 2015
- Easy ways to lose weight - weight reduction - Video - April 1st, 2015
- Green tea 5 easy ways to lose weight! - Video - April 1st, 2015
- 7 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Shopping - Video - March 31st, 2015
- How to lose weight fast quick and easy ways to lose weight! - Video - March 31st, 2015
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight /Effective Weight Loss / Lose Weight Fast - Video - March 24th, 2015
- 10 EASY WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT WITH 3 WEEK DIET IN 21 DAYS - Video - March 24th, 2015
- Incredible Easy Ways To Lose Weight - Video - March 23rd, 2015
- 7 Easy Ways to Lose Weight ~Tips/Tricks - Video - March 22nd, 2015
- Best Weight Loss Tips From Special Nutrition - Easy Ways to Lose Weight - Video - March 22nd, 2015
- Weight loss - The Venus Factor - Video - March 12th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight After Having A Baby How It Work - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight While Breastfeeding How It Work - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Without Working Out How It Work - Video - March 7th, 2015
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight Without Spending Money How It Work - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Easy ways to lose weight in a week - Video - March 4th, 2015
- How To Lose Weight Fast and Easy - weight loss program - Video - February 12th, 2015
- Easy ways to lose weight for teenagers - Video - February 12th, 2015
- 10 EASY Ways to Lose Weight & Get Healthy! Weight Loss Tips, How to Diet, Food, Health Coach YouTu - Video - February 8th, 2015
- Beginner 15 Minute Workout - Video - January 23rd, 2015
- Easy Ways to Lose Weight Katie's Testimonial about Proactol Natural Slimming Pills - Video - January 21st, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways to Lose Weight | Fat Loss | AJ Odudu - Video - January 4th, 2015
- 10 Easy Ways To Lose Weight [Tips For Weight Loss] - Video - December 16th, 2014
- 10 Tips To Lose Your Weight - Video - December 4th, 2014
- 8 Easy Ways to Lose Weight - Video - November 28th, 2014
- How to lose weight - The healthy way HQ | #Weight Loss Tips And tricks - Video - November 28th, 2014
- 3 easy ways to lose weight fast - Video - November 27th, 2014
- Lose weight without starving yourself -10 easy ways to lose weight without starving yourself - Video - November 14th, 2014
- 10 Easy Ways To Lose Weight Fast - Video - November 12th, 2014
- How To Lose Weight Fast - Lose Belly Fat with Garcinia Cambogia - Video - November 5th, 2014
- 9 Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast Without Workout - Video - November 3rd, 2014
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight After Having A Baby - Video - October 30th, 2014
- 10 EASY Ways to Lose Weight & Get Healthy! Give Guidelines to Take Nutrition Part 1 - Video - October 18th, 2014
- How To Lose Weigh FAST: 8 Easy Ways to Lose Weight FAST - Video - August 9th, 2014
- HOW LOSE WEIGHT FAST & EASY,EASY WAYS TO LOSE WEIGHT,WEIGHT LOSE PROGRAM, - Video - July 31st, 2014
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight In A Month - Video - July 16th, 2014
- Easy Ways To Lose Weight REVEALED With Pure Acai Berry - You MUST SEE This - Video - July 7th, 2014
- 7 Easy Ways To Lose Weight - Video - July 6th, 2014
- Inspirational Fitness Model | Easy Ways To Lose Weight - Video - July 5th, 2014
- Smoothie Diet Weight Loss Results, Easy Ways to Lose Weight Fast, - Video - July 2nd, 2014