After a few weeks of social distancing, weve started to go a little stir-crazy. Luckily, loads of fabulous new books are on the horizon, featuring cult leaders, missing sisters and the woman who founded Weight Watchers.
Newly orphaned children of immigrants, Lucy and Sam suddenly find themselves alone in a land that refutes their existence. As they flee from their western mining town, they set off to bury their father in the only way that will set them free from their past. Broadly, the story explores race and the question of where immigrants are allowed to belong. But on a micro level, its about the memories that bind and divide families and the desperate search for home.
In Peaches, California, 14-year-old Lacey May lives with her alcoholic mother in an area that was once an agricultural paradise but is now an environmental disaster. During a disastrous drought, the towns residents turn to a cult leader, Pastor Vern. Though Lacey has no reason to doubt the pastor, her life soon implodes when her mother is exiled from the community. Abandoned and distraught, Lacey May moves in with her widowed grandmother. As she endures the increasingly appalling acts of men, she goes on a quest to find her mother at all costs.
Fourteen years after the publication of her last books, Alvarez (In the Time of the Butterflies, How the Garca Girls Lost Their Accents) is back with a novel about Antonia Vega, a retired professor. As she mourns the passing of her husband and frets over the sudden disappearance of a sister, she befriends an undocumented teenager, who adds another layer to this powerful story about how we live in a broken world without losing faith in one another or ourselves.
Buy the book
Nora is a forensic accountant in Minneapolis. Her firms latest client is Strike, an anti-corporate, feminist athletic empire thats about to host a major kickboxing tournament with $20 million in prize money. But when the prize money goes missing, Nora is hired to find both the thief and the money. The problem is, Nora has a secret connection to Strike that could change the course of the investigation in a shockingand even deadlyway.
Buy the book
In this first adult novel from best-selling YA author Roth (the Divergent series), its been a decade since five teenagers saved the human race from an evil villain known as the Dark One. Now theyre no longer teenagers, and the world has all but forgotten their heroism. Not long after a big celebration marking the tenth anniversary of the Dark Ones death, they realize he may not be gone after all, and everything they thought they knew is wrong.
Buy the book
In the early 2000s, singer-songwriter Laura moves from Ohio to New York Citys East Village in the hopes of recording her first album. Then, she falls hard for a musician whose star is on the rise. Cut to 15 years later, when Lauras teenage daughter, Marie, starts asking questions about her father. Though shes living a stable life in Brooklyn, it looks nothing like the life she expected when she moved to New York, making her reluctant to open up to Marieand confront what couldve been.
Buy the book
In her debut novel, Persaud tracks the lives of a makeshift Trinidadian family over two decades. After Betty Ramdins husband dies, she invites a colleague, Mr. Chetan, to move into the house she shares with her son, Solo. Over time, they become a family, until Solo overhears Betty confiding in Mr. Chetan and learns a secret that plunges him into torment, causing him to flee to New York. Its an exploration of love and family in its many meanings and forms.
Buy the book
Writer Meltzer (The Cut, The New Yorker, The New York Times) went on her first diet at 5 years old. Nearly 40 years later, she came across an obituary for Jean Nidetch, the housewife who founded Weight Watchers in 1963. She goes on to weave Jeans path as a weight-loss maven with her own journey through Weight Watchers, along the way examining each womans decades-long efforts to lose weight and keep it off.
Buy the book
From her mother's first oncology appointment to her funeral and what follows, Feders graphic memoir is about making sense of life as a motherless daughter. She shares deeply candid anecdotes about important post-death firsts and the difficulty of ending old traditions and starting new ones. Touching and sweetly humorous, Dancing at the Pity Party is for anyone struggling with loss who just wants someone to get it.
Buy the book
Lulu Miller is a Peabody Awardwinning journalist and cofounder of NPRs beloved science podcast Invisibilia. Her nonfiction debut is the strange tale of 19th-century scientist David Starr Jordan, who made it his lifes work to discover and catalog as many of the worlds fish as he could. Decade by decade, he built one of the most important specimen collections in history. Then the 1906 San Francisco earthquake hit, sending more than a thousand of his fish, housed in glass jars, plummeting to the floor and shattering his lifes work. Miller digs into this obscure moment in science history while exploring the nature of persistence and of lifes purpose.
Buy the book
Set in contemporary Seoul, Korea, Chas debut novel is about four young women: Kyuri is a beautiful woman working in an exclusive underground bar where she entertains businessmen; Miho is a talented artist who grew up in an orphanage but won a scholarship to study art in New York; Ara is a hairstylist obsessed with a boy-band pop star; and Wonna is a newlywed trying to have a baby.
Buy the book
When she was 17 years old, Ruthie Lindsey was hit by an ambulance near her home in rural Louisiana and given a 5 percent chance of survival. Somehow, she defies the odds, leaving the hospital on her own two feet. A few years later, newly married and living in Nashville, she begins to experience debilitating pain, eventually becoming dependent on prescription painkillers. As her life begins to unravel, she returns home to Louisiana and sets out on a journey to heal her mind, body and soul.
Buy the book
Published 13 years after A Wrinkle in Time author LEngles death, this powerful collection of short stories is inspired by her early life and career, from her lonely childhood in New York to her life as a mother in small-town Connecticut. In a selection of 18 stories (some of which have never been published), we see how L'Engle's personal experiences and abiding faith informed the creation of her many cherished works.
Buy the book
Writer and activist Jessica Goudeau tracks the human impacts of America's ever-shifting refugee policy in this real-life story of two womena Christian from Myanmar and a Muslim from Syriawho, after escaping their home countries, begin the painstaking process of resettling in America.
Buy the book
RELATED: Audible Just Opened Its Libraries to Kids While Theyre Out of Schoolfor Free
Continue reading here:
14 Books We Cant Wait to Read in April - Yahoo Lifestyle
- You Can Lose Weight Without Skipping Any Meals - monroviaweekly - May 22nd, 2020
- Arshad Warsi loses 6 kilos in a month with Keto and Intermittent Fasting - Times of India - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss: How to burn belly fat in 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - Express - May 22nd, 2020
- Dont Comment On Anybodys Weight, Even If Theyre Famous - Chatelaine - May 22nd, 2020
- I Finally Care More About Being Strong Than Skinny, and It's Because I'm Working Out at Home - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Lose belly fat in just 4 weeks by eating these simple foods - TheHealthSite - May 22nd, 2020
- My 600-lb Life: Clarence can finally have erection after losing weight, but Dr Now isnt convinced - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- 'Real Housewives of New York' Preview: Ramona tells Sonja to lose weight even after her liquid-only diet stint - MEAWW - May 22nd, 2020
- Intermittent fasting: if you're struggling to lose weight, this might be why - EconoTimes - May 22nd, 2020
- John Barnes reveals fittest and best player from Harry's Heroes - Teamtalk.com - May 22nd, 2020
- Viva Fresh Wellness Reveal a success - The Produce News - May 22nd, 2020
- News - Foundation of Light - May 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Adele reveals the advice he gives to his patients to lose weight - Play Crazy Game - May 22nd, 2020
- Weight loss in lockdown: Mum and daughter lose 14 stone thanks to Slimming World - North Devon Gazette - May 22nd, 2020
- You Just Need 2 Dumbbells and These 30 Upper-Body Exercises to Get Strong, Sculpted Arms - Yahoo Lifestyle - May 22nd, 2020
- Judge rules Lincolnshire woman with severe learning difficulty can have all her teeth removed - Lincolnshire Live - May 22nd, 2020
- Putting the current disruption in context will guide recovery - AdNews - May 22nd, 2020
- How to lose weight: 10 strategies for weight loss that work in lockdown (or out) - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Here Is the Workout Adele Used to Tone Up As She Lost 100 Lbs - The Beet - May 17th, 2020
- Avoid lockdown weight gain: this nutritionist has blacklisted five foods, and you're not gonna like it - T3 - May 17th, 2020
- Do you have lockdown body? How to lose weight without going on a diet - Telegraph.co.uk - May 17th, 2020
- Scientists told how to lose weight with the brain - The Times Hub - May 17th, 2020
- Chewing the fat: a year of Weight Watchers, a lifetime of dieting - The Irish Times - May 17th, 2020
- 5 weight loss myths that can prevent you from slimming down during quarantine - TheHealthSite - May 17th, 2020
- How a carer lost six stone and conquered her demons - Cambridgeshire Live - May 17th, 2020
- My Life Was Turned Into a Movie. Heres What Hollywood Left Out. - Slate - May 17th, 2020
- Gemma Collins shows off her weight loss in skinny jeans as she dresses up for a weekend in lockdown - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Blue Meanie Reveals Who Got Him Signed By WWF Losing Weight To Be Blue Boy - Fightful - May 17th, 2020
- Aravinnd Iyer talks about his weight loss plan, life during the lockdown and future projects - Times of India - May 17th, 2020
- Here's How Lady Gaga And Cameron Diaz Played A Role In Adele's Weight Loss - TheThings - May 17th, 2020
- Matcha green tea powder: The Sirtfood superfood behind Adeles 7st weight loss - Express - May 17th, 2020
- Get in shape this summer with Mark Wrights great workouts and meal plans - The Sun - May 17th, 2020
- Love Island narrator Iain Stirling shocks fans with his huge bulge as he shows off his weight loss - The Scottish Sun - May 17th, 2020
- What is the endomorph diet? Losing weight based on body type - TODAY - May 14th, 2020
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Her Post-Baby Weight After Losing 'Almost 60 Pounds' - KMOV.com - May 14th, 2020
- Health Beat: What to know before you try keto - WFMZ Allentown - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss story: 'From 105 to 83 kilos, here's how I answered my body-shamers back' - Times of India - May 14th, 2020
- The Yogurt Diet: Weight Loss Fact or Fiction? - Healthline - May 14th, 2020
- Valerie Bertinelli recalls being fat-shamed by her fifth-grade teacher: 'I became really aware of my body' - Home - WSFX - May 14th, 2020
- Why Did Adele Lose Weight? British Singer's Motivation Is Not What Most Fans Think - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 14th, 2020
- Weight loss: How to lose weight fast with the cabbage soup diet - Express - May 14th, 2020
- How to Drink Alcohol and Still Lose Weight - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 14th, 2020
- The Key to Weight Loss Through Exercise Could Be Picking The Right Time of Day - ScienceAlert - May 14th, 2020
- Coffee consumption linked to lower body fat in women, study shows - Yahoo Sports - May 14th, 2020
- Founder of the #90DaysWithoutSugar challenge on how his journey inspired others to change their lifestyle for the better - News24 - May 14th, 2020
- I hated my first wedding because I was so fat so I dropped TEN dress sizes and married my man again as a s - The Irish Sun - May 14th, 2020
- Best healthy food delivery services in 2020: Home Chef, Blue Apron, Freshly and more - CNET - May 14th, 2020
- Staying Strong: Mental health becomes a concern as farmers and ranchers face ongoing adversity - Tri-State Livestock News - May 14th, 2020
- The foods that boost - and zap - libido - Yahoo Food - May 14th, 2020
- Tim Robards: 'There's no such thing as bad food' - Who - May 14th, 2020
- Fighting Fat Discrimination, but Still Wanting to Lose Weight - The New York Times - May 13th, 2020
- Chef AJ Lost Over 100 Pounds on a Plant-Based Diet - The Beet - May 13th, 2020
- Study: Want to lose weight? Get rid of that pesky nose - The Big Smoke Australia - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss tip: This powerful garlic (lehsun) tea will help in losing weight - Times of India - May 13th, 2020
- CC Sabathia suddenly looks jacked after losing a ton of weight - New York Post - May 13th, 2020
- Why cant people like Adele lose weight without trolls having a go despite it being life-saving? - The Sun - May 13th, 2020
- Are Weight-Loss Transformation Success Stories Fat Shaming? - Plant Based News - May 13th, 2020
- Weight loss: Eat this healthy snack daily to lose weight - Express - May 13th, 2020
- Packing on pounds during COVID-19 and how to turn it around - goskagit.com - May 13th, 2020
- 'Look at those arms': Mother-in-law's outrageous weight comment to new mum - Essential Baby - May 13th, 2020
- Have you heard of ballerina tea? Heres why it could be a weight loss component - The Indian Express - May 13th, 2020
- I Combined Keto With The 16:8 DietAnd I Lost 105 Pounds And Reversed My Prediabetes - Women's Health - May 13th, 2020
- Are you prepared for the second wave of COVID-19? The Serotonin-Plus Weight Loss Program Has Answers - Yahoo Finance - May 13th, 2020
- The Many Ways Weight and Type 2 Diabetes Are Connected - LIVESTRONG.COM - May 13th, 2020
- Gaining weight during the lockdown? Here are some ways to get back in shape - YourStory - May 13th, 2020
- LaSata: Knowing the signs, symptoms of stroke can save lives - Sturgis Journal - May 13th, 2020
- We Are Missing The Point With "Stay Home, Stay Safe" - 550 KTSA - May 13th, 2020
- Reversing The Course Of Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Liver Cancer Risk - Curetoday.com - May 13th, 2020
- Adele lost weight, are we allowed to praise that? - CNN - May 6th, 2020
- What Is The Warrior Diet? Everything To Know About 20:4 Fasting - Women's Health - May 6th, 2020
- what science tells us about losing weight without diet and walking - Explica - May 6th, 2020
- Looking to lose weight? Heres how walking after meals can help - The Indian Express - May 6th, 2020
- My 600-lb Life exclusive: Cynthia's weight loss has stalled and Dr. Now calls her out - Monsters and Critics - May 6th, 2020
- People Think I Was Concerned About My Body Image Eugenie Bouchard - Essentially Sports - May 6th, 2020
- Strenuous physical activities may actually reduce your risk of knee osteoarthritis, say experts - TheHealthSite - May 6th, 2020
- Adele Debut Her Snatch Body On The Gram, Fans Reacts To Viral Photo - Urban Islandz - May 6th, 2020
- You don't need to be productive during a pandemic - Charlotte Agenda - May 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus Northern Ireland live updates as Chief Medical Officer says there will be a future after lockdown - Belfast Live - May 6th, 2020
- Finding Reason: How to Lose Weight Without Exercising While Stuck at Home - Nisqually Valley News - May 4th, 2020
- Losing kilos the healthy way - Borneo Bulletin Online - May 4th, 2020